Suspension stands for Washington

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2013 – 4:30 pm

Linebacker Daryl Washington was back at practice Thursday after going to New York Monday and Tuesday to meet with the NFL in an effort to get his four-game suspension reduced. He was denied, and the four-game suspension stands.

“I thought it was a good interview but I didn’t get the news I wanted to hear,” Washington said. “It’s just motivaton for me to come back stronger for these last 12 games.”

Washington and his agent did not get to meet with commissioner Roger Goodell, which is what Washington was hoping for. He met instead with Adolpho Birch, NFL senior vice president of Law and Labor Policy.

“He’s a good dude. and I got a lot of understanding what was going on,” Washington said. “It was a nice meeting. Just wasn’t what I expected. but I wouldn’t say it’s a waste of a trip.”

“It’s still a suspension, unfortunately,” Washington added. “But you have to deal with it and move past it, put a smile on your face and play those 12 games.”

– LB Karlos Dansby (hamstring) did some individual work in practice Thursday but then came back out. Bruce Arians said Dansby was expected to return to practice Monday.

– CB Javier Arenas (finger) didn’t practice. His status for Saturday’s game seems doubtful.

– CB Patrick Peterson made a fantastic interception on a deep ball thrown by Ryan Lindley to Robert Gill. Running stride for stride with Gill, Peterson timed it perfectly, jumped and snatched the ball with two hands just out of the waiting fingertips of Gill.

– TE D.C. Jefferson looked much better catching the ball in practice. But then he false-started on a play later. Arians earlier in the day had said that Jefferson “goes up and down like a yo-yo but when he’s up there he’s pretty good.” Yo-yo was on display.

– Injury list included: Arenas, Dansby, TE Jeff King (knee), RB Ryan Williams (knee), TE Kory Sperry (ankle), S Jonathon Amaya (knee), DT Dan Williams (ankle), DE Frostee Rucker (toe), S Rashad Johnson (knee/ankle) and DT RIcky Lumpkin (ankle). LB Dan Giordano remains on PUP (toe).

WashHoldBLOG

Tags:

12 Responses to “Suspension stands for Washington”

1. By lg on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Dam that’s not what i wanted to here .

2. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

I guess Jefferson will start getting that nick name “Yo-Yo” ??

3. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    I was looking at the roster list on the site cause there are so many new faces I am still trying figure out who is who, but I noticed a there was a 62W and also a “R’ next to a couple of other Jersey numbers on the roster?
    Could you explain what the ” W” and the “R”s stand for? I don’t think the “R’ is rookie cause it wasn’t labeled by all of the jersey numbers only a couple of them of them?

Mahalo for the clarification!

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: R and W

If they are there it means “red” and “White”. Usually, the offense wears white and the defense red. It’s just an indication that they had to double up on numbers so there is a guy on each side of the ball with the number.

5. By Chuck on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Goodell sucks!

6. By Tbru on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Has the NFL ever lowered a substance suspension? Not sure what he was trying to prove. With the other situation still pending, he should sit down and shut up.

7. By CDJ on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

i am just hoping this team is relatively healthy come week one

8. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

DWash agent (lawyer?) did nice preemptive move on NY visit. He’s facing a potential second suspension for looming/possible domestic violence conviction. Getting face time ahead of it makes very good sense.

9. By Dynosoar on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Chuck,

Spot on.

He’ll meet with an unamed QB from Steeltown who’s been accused multiple times of rape as well as at least one player who put bounties on other players but not with a player who’s violated a substance abuse policy.

I’m not defending Washington in any way. I’m against substance abuse in any form (I also don’t know what substance was involved or how it was abused and it really is none of my business, so I don’t care to know.)

Now to give Goodell the benefit of the doubt, perhaps because this is a cut and dry policy violation and not a major offense (like the above mentioned) he really didn’t need to be involved. I mean, how often does a regular employee when asking to see the CEO (Commisioner) get time with a VP of the company to review and explain.

You know, after writing this and taking myself from the initial impression. I’m ok with this.

Would be nice to have Washington in game one, but if he takes an ankle sprain on the first play of the game, we’re still without him for 4 games. Perhaps this will help him (and others watching) to develop self control and be more important in his personal development than the mere wins/losses of four games.

I’m pleased at the depth we have that if a player is suspended or injured we’ll still have a high caliber team.

10. By D on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Excitement in the air.

I think when AZ goes to 4 downlineman with Shaughnessy, Dockett, Campbell and Abraham could be the most dominant productive line the Cards have had in 20 yrs. Better than the SB team and have better productiion at both rushing passer and stopping the run than Desert Storm. (for all of you young pups-that was an overhyped line in the late 90’s consisted of Rice, Swann, Smith and Wadsworth
    who because of injuries and attitudes never lived up to it. )

Add in a very deep LB corp and with the playmakers of Peterson and Mathieu this defense could be special.

11. By johnnybluenose on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Washington says he got a lot of understanding what was going on. hey Washington !! what part of ” don’t do drugs ” did you not understand before you joined the nfl ? and calling Adolpho Birch “a good dude” shows a lack of maturity. Washington is a talented football player, no question, and he may be a nice man, but he acts like an idiot.

12. By ored on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

i’m on board with the defense being special,already 1 shut out and their ceiling is up there a ways.