The “dominance” in the NFC West

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2013 – 12:30 pm

If there was any doubt how Bruce Arians was approaching this season and the Cardinals’ place in the NFC West — and via the moves they have made with Carson Palmer and Karlos Dansby and John Abraham and Eric Winston, et al, there shouldn’t have been — he made it clear Thursday. He reiterated the physical nature of the division and how the Cards were going to have to be prepared for it.

But he also said “I don’t see the dominance that everybody else talks about. One of those teams may be (dominant.) It still has to be played on Sunday.”

We will see how it does play out on Sundays, but the NFC West will be entertaining, for sure.

– Arians ruled out DE Frostee Rucker (toe sprain) and S Rashad Johnson (knee/ankle) from playing Saturday. He also said most of the other injured guys are in the same place. Since G Daryn Colledge has been practicing, I would guess he will be in the lineup.

– RB Andre Elllington is “ready to go” and will play. “It’s much nicer going in with four (running backs) than two,” Arians said with a smile. Of course, there is still no word on an ETA on RB Ryan Williams, the fifth back who remains out with knee problems. I don’t expect him to practice again today and definitely don’t see him playing against the Cowboys. No, that’s not good for him and you have to start to wonder about what his place on this roster might be — or even if he will have one.

– CB Javier Arenas hurt his finger in practice Tuesday. Not sure if it will affect practice time or whether he can play Saturday. UPDATE: Arenas isn’t practicing Thursday.

– LB Karlos Dansby (hamstring) remains out and won’t play either. But Arians didn’t sound concerned at all. “He doesn’t need much tune up,” Arians said. “He knows how to play the game. He just needs some full-speed game action, We’ll get him a couple of quarters against San Diego (next week) and he’ll be fine.”

–  DE Calais Campbell continued to sound excited about what the defense will allow he and the other defensive linemen to do in Todd Bowles’ scheme. Ultimately, he said, the defense sets up guys in one-on-one positions and they are told may the best defender win and make the play. Campbell also said the Cards will definitely feature more four-down linemen sets than last season, and he raved about newcomer Matt Shaughnessy and the pass-rush front of Shaughnessy, John Abraham, himself and Darnell Dockett. “That’ll be tough to block,” Campbell said.

MattSUse

Tags: , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “The “dominance” in the NFC West”

1. By shannon robinson on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Is moving Matt Shaughnessy to OLB part of the Cardinals plan to combat the pistol & 49ers/Seasox QB running offense? At 285 & 6′ 5″ he’s a giant on the outside as a linebacker.

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Shannon —

RE: Shaughnessy

I don’t know if that is exactly why. I think that’s just where he fits what they want to do.

3. By Cactus jeff on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

That sounds awesome, CC and DD will be pro bowl bound.

4. By Mark on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Regarding Ryan Williams. I’ve read that he puts in the work in rehab, yet I find myself wondering if he is properly motivated to make the team. You have a coach publicly questioning his injury, the same coach who brought in his guy at RB and pretty much anointed him as the starter. Than you have a team whose o-line is suspect at best division games against stout defenses. Not an easy offense for a RB to showcase his talent. Than you have Williams rookie contract which ties him up for two more seasons at a fairly low cost. So looking at this from Williams POV I’m not seeing why he would even attempt to return unless he felt 100%. In many ways getting cut might be a win for him, provided he believes he can be healthy enough to land a job.

Is this thought process way off base or do you think it’s shared by anyone else?

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Mark —

RE: Ryan Williams

No. 1, he was never anointed or even hinted that Williams would start. I realized you were talking about Mendenhall. Still I don’t see that as any reason why Williams would want out. Mendenhall is on a one-year contract.

No. 2, I can’t believe in any way, shape or form Williams wants to be cut. I’ve spent way too much time with him, he wants to play with this team and he’d never “take a dive” to get to a different team. Just don’t see it.

6. By Eazy E on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

That front four is nasty! I hope Ryan can come back 100% and ball out but it’s hard right now.

7. By Tucsonaaron on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

They didn’t show it the first game but I can some 4 man fronts in our future. With that front four its going to be tough for any team in the league. John Abraham was a huge pick up for this team and adds a great pass rusher even at his age. As long as he stays healthy along with the rest of the defense I can see good things happening this year!

8. By johnnybluenose on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

darren, i may be wrong but Mark could be suggesting that it was mendenhall , not williams who was annointed by arians. and, i was just watching some video of the running backs at practice, blocking against blitzing defenders. i saw #34. was it old video? and, i seem to remember williams being quoted as saying that he was playing “scared” last year. who could blame him after his terrible knee injury? but, do you think that is still the main reason why he won’t take the field? no one seems to be saying he is injured, except williams himself. if this continues, how long before williams is cut?

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

johnnyblue —

RE: Williams

First of all you are right, he was talking Mendenhall. I amended the comment.

As for the video, yes, that isn’t from today.

I don’t know where Williams is mentally. We’ll see how this plays out.

10. By Cactus jeff on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

He was non-weight bearing a long time after the patellar tendon rupture. Much different than an ACL rehab. He really had bad luck. Non-weight bearing restrictions is a real killer to athletes, Amare Stoudamire is another example after his micro fracture surgery. Never really regained his explosion in his legs.

11. By truths4all on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

The talent level of the 2013 Cards Defense plus Bowles schemes to maximize using the best talent available to him makes it easy for me to expect that the 2013 Cards Defense will make everyone forget the defenses of the past few years and fans say “Horton who?”

12. By Connor on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Yeah the Seahawks arent a dominate team cause we murdered the cards last year in that 58-0 ass whoopin…thats not dominance though its only like the third largest point margin in NFL history

13. By Erik on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

The niners and ‘hawks were dominant, LAST YEAR.
    That is the great thing that sets the NFL apart from all the other leagues; there truly is parity and we never know what will happen.

Can’t Wait!

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Connor —

RE: “We”

Odd. I don’t recall a Connor on the Seattle roster.

15. By jasonc on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

I find it interesting that you’re on the Cardinals team website Conner…

For someone so confident about their teams superiority which according to you was made obvious by a 58-0 win that happened last year, you’re showing a strange amount of curiosity of what’s going on in the desert.

16. By tobis81 on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

He doesn’t see the dominance of the Hawks, and 49ers??? Maybe he needs some thicker glasses…. I’m sure he will see the dominance when his horrible Cardinals don’t win the division for at least the next decade. Infact, what’s the shelf life for a head coach who doesn’t win these days? 3 years? I’m sure he will be long gone as head coach by the time they have a shot at winning it again, ROLMFAO!!!

17. By tobis81 on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Hahaha… True!!!

18. By jasonc on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Tobias-

What is the Seahawks and ’49ers record this year? That’s right you’re 0-0, just like everyone else in the NFL. The great thing about the NFL is that it so competitive hence the adage “any given Sunday” we will see how the season plays out and if at the end the Seahawks and ’49ers are dominate then it won’t sound desperate when you talk smack.

19. By cardsalltheway on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Darrin,
    You’d be busier than you are if you lectured every Cardinal fan on the use of “we.”

The 49ers and Seahawks put it to us pretty good LAST year and I don’t see why Arians is making bulletin board material in other team’s locker rooms.

If his point was that we(I know I’m not on the Cardinals roster) got whipped by the Seahawks LAST year and not THIS year then fine, I agree it’s a new year yada yada yada but if he wants to make comments like that about other teams perhaps he should be clearer about his point rather than possibly being quoted in our opponents locker rooms.

His comment has caused a stir among many NFL fans(500 + comments)…

No, I don’t think we’ll get whipped by the Seahawks or 9ers like we did LAST year but can’t we go into those games quietly? Oh well, Arians has eliminated the element of surprise. Nice job coach!

Combined 9ers vs. Cardinals two game score LAST year 51 -16.
    Combined Seahawks vs. Cardinals two game score LAST year 78 – 16.

20. By Colin Kap & Russell Wil on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

teams are dominant when they have stingy defense (49ers front 7 or seahawks’ secondary), a stout run game (Marshawn lynch & frank gore), and special QBs that can throw receivers open or even run when things go haywire. I’m a niners fan and I know for sure the Hawks are gonna give us a hell of a season. I know they feel the same about us ad well. where you at, cards?

21. By Dr. G on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Ahhhhh… the 1st amendment….. don’t understand why you can’t find a job in the town where your favorite team resides. Before Arizona had a team, I followed Miami and Frisco (they hate that moniker). When we got a team, I actually bled red from my eyes trying my best to be a fan; it has been brutal most of those years. But that is the past. I see Michael really trying to git-r-done. He has had a few mulligan years with a staff that was anemic at choosing personnel for the field of play. This old man they brought in (joking) apparently knows his ” tihs” (spelled backwards). If this team is not successful, it will be due to a multitude of injuries. He has done a super job so far…we should anticipate at the least a 9-win season. HOWEVER, the “tihs” hits the fan next year when the 1-year contracts come due and the bidding commences. But for now, you outta towners, please take the 5th… you won’t like how the stale crow tastes.!!!! Don the RED….

22. By ored on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

talk to our players bout where we at,i think cc says it pretty well.

23. By jasonc on Aug 16, 2013 | Reply

Colin Kap & Russell WIl-

“I’m a niners fan and I know for sure the Hawks are gonna give us a hell of a season. I know they feel the same about us ad well. where you at, cards?”

We’re 0-0 just like the Seahawks and 49ers. If you’re so much better why bother wasting your time responding?

Cardsalltheway-

Arians isn’t afraid of the NFC West and those weren’t his teams that were outscored and beat last year. You sound like a 49er or Seahawks fan with the way you live in the past. If you’re scared that’s fine but Arians is confident and you beat teams by being aware of their strengths…not afraid of them. I don’t want our team to sneak up or surprise anyone, ring the bell, let them know were coming. If that is what they need to give us their best game then so be it! BA put the conference on notice that we are ready to give them our best game so they better be ready or they’re going to get beat.

24. By mrgfunk on Aug 17, 2013 | Reply

I’m a Hawks fan who isn’t looking past anyone in the west.

With limited knowledge I saw QB and Oline as the issues last year. D was solid (front 4 scary)

Carson Palmer gets the ball out quicker and makes veteran decisions who can say they won’t contend. Arians is right about dominance – last year maybe; this year who knows.

25. By Brett on Aug 17, 2013 | Reply

I guess this fool hasn’t watched the films last year or payed attention to the off season moves the Seahawks beat your sorry team 58-0 are you kidding then you go get Palmer from the raiders how games did he win last year 4 or 5 oh ok your trying to get your team confidence sorry not going to work you will be lucky to win 5 games this year if your lucky 6 good luck cardinals

26. By Los on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

The Cardinals aren’t there yet. Last year, niners & hawks beat Arizona 129-32 in four games.

Cards won’t be .500 for a few years, at least ..

Rams are better now, and the Hawks & Niners could be the top two teams in football.

Arians will need more than Luck to win games this year

27. By Victor on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

How doesn’t he see the dominance of the 49ers.? They are obviously the most dominant team in that division and one of the most dominant in the NFL

28. By Max on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

I don’t see the dominance of the 2 best teams in the NFL either

29. By Big B on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

JasonC — As another hawks fan, that is finding himself reading a cards article, I would like to point out that this article was also posted in the Sehawks B/R page.. Good luck Cards, should be a fun year in the NFC BEST!

2. Aug 16, 2013: Cardinals Bruce Arians Doesn't See The 49ers And Seahawks As Dominant | thacover2.com
  3. Aug 16, 2013: ARIZONA CARDINALS – Bruce Arians: I don’t see dominance on 49ers, ‘Hawks
  4. Aug 16, 2013: ARIZONA CARDINALS – Bruce Arians: I don’t see dominance on 49ers, ‘Hawks