Cowboys aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 17, 2013 – 10:42 pm

Perhaps it’s a version of that age-old question: If a potential fourth receiver dresses in a different locker room, does he make a sound the team?KerryTayBLOG

Kerry Taylor spent all of last season on the Cards’ practice squad. While there have been other “unknowns” at receiver getting attention in training camp, it’s Taylor who is fourth on the depth chart and it’s Taylor who had the impressive game with four catches for 85 yards. Taylor said all the right things afterward, about continuing to work hard, but as he already mentioned, he’s noticed he’s been under the radar. But that’s in keeping with his locker room spot, which right now is in the secondary rookie room away from the main locker room.

“Larry (Fitzgerald) gives me some heat about that from time to time,” Taylor said. “ ‘What are you doing back there?’ They put me where they put me.”

Taylor did say the subjects talked about are totally different in the two locker rooms. “Up here there is grown conversation,” Taylor said. “Whereas back there, it’s like high school, with the jokes they make. It’s two totally different worlds. But it’s fun. I enjoy being back there with those guys.”

I’d guess Taylor would enjoy it even more moving back into the main room after final cuts. If he keeps making plays like he did Saturday – although he lamented only getting a couple fingers on what could have been a touchdown catch – the locker room space won’t be an issue.

– Coach Bruce Arians said there were no significant injuries. Knock on wood, the Cards have managed to escape that problem thus far in camp.

– Arians doesn’t like the “explosive plays” the Cards’ defense gave up, and that’s fair. But remember Arians said he didn’t give a “crap” about where his defense was ranked because of yardage. He doesn’t want to give up points and wanted turnovers. Well, after two games, the Cards have forced more turnovers (8) than given up points (7).

– Tony Jefferson remains a longshot to make the roster. But the practice squad may be possible. The guy makes two interceptions against the Cowboys and he made a couple in practice this week too. He also was credited with a pair of tackles for loss and a pair of passes defended.

– Rashard Mendenhall looked pretty good (32 yards on seven carries) and if he stays healthy, the Cards look like they will be OK at running back.

– Mendenhall would have had a nice fourth-down reception for a first too – if Carson Palmer hadn’t thrown a bad pass. Palmer took responsibility for the bad throw and Arians was clearly frustrated, after the perfect play call got Mendenhall wide open. Even the last two incompletions of Palmer – one to Fitz, one to Roberts – looked like they would be open, if the QB and WR had just been on the same page, instead of one zigging when the other thought about zagging.

– Rookie running back Andre Ellington made a couple of nice runs himself, including a good kickoff return. It was against the deep backups, but still, a nice debut.

– Tyrann Mathieu was credited with a team-high seven tackles, not a shock because he played more than any defender, I’d guess. One play didn’t work though – Mathieu tried to anticipate an interception, missed the ball, and Dwayne Harris took a short pass and got 16 yards out of it. “I said, ‘Hey, if you’re going to go for the pick, you better just make the tackle.’ ” Arians said, noting Mathieu had a similar error in practice this past week.

– Palmer was protected pretty well again, with only one real pressure and no sacks.

– Speaking of the offensive line, Nate Potter and Bobby Massie basically played the rest of the game after starters Levi Brown and Eric Winston left. Reps are what it’s about (and it’s hard to think there is any other tackle on the roster who is being considered.)

– Charles Hawkins was drilled pretty good fielding a punt late in the game. “Charles Hawkins will learn how to fair catch in the right instances,” Arians quipped. “It only takes one hit to learn how to fair catch, especially when you are told to fair catch before you go out there.”

– Arians did say he liked how his special teams played, and from Justin Bethel to Lorenzo Alexander to Dave Zastudil to Ellington and even Jay Feely with his 53-yard field goal (although Arians wasn’t happy with a 30-yard miss), special teams did shine.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “Cowboys aftermath”

1. By marc brock on Aug 17, 2013 | Reply

Tony Jefferson, “remains a longshot to make the roster”, huh?? Are you kidding me? Who beats him out as Safety depth? He is clearly a top 4 safety right now on this roster and with 35 year old Bell he could end up seeing significant time sooner than later. We lose AW, Rhodes and add Bell and are attempting to convert HB, we NEED Jefferson!

2. By T. Stone on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Making good progress I think. The redzone stuff will come with more time together. Off topic Darren, nice to hear you with Amy on CBS sports radio up here in Alaska tonight. Had to listen to the Seahawks talking heads and their game. Wow are they full of themselves. Switching stations I got a nice little update/insight from you on the Cardinals I usually don’t get on the radio driving home from work. Well done.

3. By job on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

The last game all the “what ifs” actually happened, it was like watching a Hollywood movie. The O line was rock solid, Carson Palmer looked sharper than a hawk, and the defense held GB to 0pts.

This Game showed and exposed us for who we are. We have a brand new Head coach and coaching staff, two new QBS, a new Rb, and half a new defense.

How ever it’s only pre season and that means we our still not at game day potential. Heck they are mainly just testing things out offensively. Defensively our team still managed 5 turn overs.

Can BA pull this team together and unlock our potential we flashed in game one.Well only time will tell but they better hurry because we only got two more games.

4. By Eazy E on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

I’m going to get right back with y’all after I watch the game for a 2nd time. Not that I wasn’t watching because that is definitely not the case but I want to look at It again and evaluate a little bit more.

5. By Cards4ever on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Still a lot of work on offense. Defense looks like it’ll be fine, though :)

Hey D, that long pass that Romo over-thru in the first quarter, is that the same DB that gott burned last week against GB for the long pass?

Also, saw Tom Moore eating dinner at the bar top at Yard House tonight. Kinda made me sad he was eating alone.

6. By Ezz on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Is Hawkins ok though? That seemed pretty dangerous, no concussion i’m hoping?

7. By red bird of death! on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

why cant we score tds why why why ……….Dfence Awesome ! Offense still sucky.

8. By Hammy on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

I really enjoyed seeing the offense move the ball down the field. Mendenhall averaging 4.6 yards a carry was good to see as well. What about Kerry Taylor? Between he, hawkins and Brown, dont know who will get that 4th spot but they all deserve to be on this team so far. Defense looked dominating again! I know a lot of so called experts are not picking the Cardinals to do anything special this year but I dont think they should sleep on us. We look pretty damn good so far. Feeling very confident in our players and coaches.

Darren any update on Ryan Williams? Any plans on him returning to practice? Or can we just consider him “done”?

9. By Rich on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Have always liked Carson Palmer. But does anyone else think our best QB might be Stanton? Wow, this guy seems to really have confidence and strength and makes the throws!!!

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Marc —

RE: Jefferson

I’m not sure upon which you have based your analysis.

He’s behind Johnson, Bell, Mathieu and Amaya. Amaya is very good on special teams.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Cards4ever —

RE: Long pass

It was Powers against Dallas. Cason was the victim in GB.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Ezz —

RE: Hawkins

Again, Arians reported no specific injuries.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Hammy —

RE: Ryan Williams

No specifics on him.

14. By Andy Kw on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Wow, we Cardinals fans learned a lot against Dallas:
    -OT Levi Brown still has many mental errors as he false started and negated a long pass from Palmer to Fitzgerald
    -Tony Jefferson might make his way onto the Arizona Cardinal’s final roster if he continues playing like he did against Dallas
    -Carson Palmer needs to think smart and make the right plays. Floyd was wide open and could have made the touchdown. Palmer also needs to develop a rhythm with Floyd, Roberts, and Fitzgerald. He needs to learn how to throw a deep ball at all times not just every now and then
    -Our Defensive Back situation was exposed. Patrick Peterson, Jerraud Powers and Yeremiah Bell struggled to stop Tony Romo’s passes. I know Arians doesn’t care about the yards just as long the team can force turnovers and hold teams to no points
    -Drew Stanton was decent although he threw an interception in the endzone and Ryan Lindley was decent as well (To be honest, I favor Stanton more than I do Palmer)

15. By marc on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

I agree that Amaya is super on Spevial teams but not nearly as high a ceiling as hefferson at the safety oosition and that is what we need the most, a safety. Imo, it would be wise to part with Lindley if they want to keep Amaya, otherwise I see it as a no-brainer to keep Jefferson over Amaya. Jefferson was a projected 4th round pick that we were fortunate to get a an UFA.

16. By iammattyoung on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

While the O-line seemed to hold up well, it looked to me like Palmer was hurrying himself in the pocket. On a number of occasions, it looked like he could have held on to the ball a little longer to make a better throw or to let the play develop and make a better pass. Anyone else see this?

Also, I’d like to see a little more nastiness out of Cooper on the line. He did okay in pass-pro, but he needs to put some people on their backs.

Finally, Michael Floyd looks like the hardest working receiver in the nfl. He out there in motion every snap, then he’s lined up in pass protection, then he’s down the field. The guy’s all over the place. Now how about a couple receptions?

17. By beardinals on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

On a side note, I caught a little of the Cowboys feed and they were using the old Cardinals logo on their graphics. Seems like a douchebaggy back-handed move.

18. By beardinals on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

On a side note, caught part of the Cowboys feed and they were using the old Cardinals logo.

Seems like a douchebaggy underhanded move to me.

19. By Jesus G. on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Rich –
    Stanton looks great because he has experience in BA’s system. I’m confident it will click for Palmer. When? Hopefully before the season opener against the Rams.

20. By Jbh on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

How many WO’s will the Cardinals keep for the 53 man roster? I’d like to see Brown, Hawkins, & Taylor stay.

Is it me or does our first team o-line pass block well and run-block poor and just the opposite for the second team? Potter got beat several times against second team DE and I think Massie did too. Fanaika looks like a first team guy IMO.

I hate to say it but if R Williams doesn’t practice this week he’ll be gone. I’ve rooted for him ever since he got drafted but he’s just too injury prone, happened in College too. Some guys are either unlucky or have bad genes (for injury)

21. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

So many story lines, so much evolving. Enjoying the posts, takes. Notables:

1. Palmer throws BBs, so accurate its unreal sometimes, shows how bad all the QBs were last several years, can see Fitz trying not to show excitement;
    2. Mendenhall speed, decisive; Taylor solid, strong; Ellington, real deal, nice pick up in draft; Smith finally finding holes and his speed showing a bit;
    3. Kerry Taylor, Jaron Brown, Hawkins all deserve spot;
    4. Fleming, Kelemete disappearance from radar;
    5. OB Schofield: speed demon, nice sack last night for Seattle, may regret cut;
    6. Stanton toughness, but throws wobbling yet often accurate wobbler?
    7. Zastudil getting better? How good is he? Unreal;
    8. Don’t seem to miss DWash and yet Dansby hasn’t played, deep on D lne, LB;
    9. Powers will get toasted on occasion yet playmaker;
    10. Dray looking better every game, Housler not “in the game” yet, drop too.

22. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

PS, fwiw: Most interesting of all will be how many and which OL, DL, LB, CB, S, WR TEs make roster… seems like we’re pretty deep at all, or am I’m over-rating them? Seem like a trade or two for a pick, like last year when traded , was it, Jefferson? Wondering if Keim will deal …

23. By cards4sb on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

I think we may need to look into this again, but I could swear the cards got 6 turnovers, 5 in the first half and 1 in the second? Everyone is saying 5. Go Cards!

24. By georgiebird on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

The Cards looked better than the last couple of years under Whiz. But even the kool aid Cardinals’ fans will agree the Cowboys self destructed on offense.
    The crossing routes have been the bane of the Cards’ defense for 50 years. I can remember Bob Tucker a Giants’ TE doing crossing routes against us for 5 years.
    So what caught my eye was the big distance between Cowboy’ receivers and our defenders.
    And the miss by Feely was big because kickers now have no problem from 50 but the short ones are where the mental games begin.

25. By Steve on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Carson has talked some about making the most of the 20 or so plays the 1st team offense has in these preseason games, do you see BA playing the starters more next week against the Chargers, perhaps into the 3rd quarter?

26. By jasonc on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

After the game I wasn’t as excited as I was post Green Bay game because I though we’d have shown more improvement…we still have a lot of things to work out, but there were positives as well.

-Levi Brown was competent at LT. I know he gave up a pressure and was flagged for holding (not a false start AndyKW) but he was going up against Demarcus Ware. You’re not going to stonewall that guy and we were able to convert a first down after the holding call.

-Running game showed improvement and Ellington was able to flash. I know he played against the scrubs so it is taken with a grain of salt. Ryan Williams needs to get back on field.

-Defensive turnovers 5 for the D and one on special teams (6 total cards4sb) and keeping Dallas’s ones and twos off the scoreboard. Run defense was good all night but our pass defense early against Romo and the first team offense gave up some big pass plays not to mention the Terrance Williams blow by of Powers which would’ve been a TD if Romo can make the pass. I saw someone call out Patrick Peterson but the only play he gave up was excellent coverage…just better offense, there was nothing you can do about that.

Now for the bad

-Carson Palmer didn’t have an awful game but he was missing throws that cost us points. Most notably was the poor pass to Alphonso Smith in the end zone and the poor pass to Mendenhall on 4th down. If he makes better throws his numbers would’ve been 9-15 60% and we score one, maybe 2 TD’s. The last three throws were more concerning because we just looked out of sync. I don’t think it was a huge regression by the pass game but I was hoping for improvement after the first game.

-Pass rush is still not getting pressure on QB. This seems to me to be our biggest concern going into the season (with pass protection and improved QB play being somewhat answered halfway through the preseason). I know most people are concentrating on the CB play but to me they sort of go hand in hand. Better pass rush will breed better CB play.

I was happy to see Jefferson play well and I think if he keeps shining he’s going to make it hard for the coaches to cut him. Potter had a bad game a tackle surrendering 2 sacks on the night. I really would like to see Ryan Williams get back on the field, I know most fans are ready to see him cut and it’s hard to defend him when he isn’t on the field but I think he has extraordinary ability and I hope he gets a chance to show it.

27. By ored on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

palmer is still adjusting to new system,team,&coaches,also playing against 1st team defense,he’ll be ok,might take an additional game or two before he gets in a comfort zone,too much a pro to fail.

looks like recievers are sorting themselves out,jefferson looks like a keeper,ellington showing playmaker skills.

fine tune the oline run blocking,red zone efficiency,and protect against the long ball and we look good.

seattle trying to make a statement-taking no prisoners and oby looking good for them,wish he played that well for us,seemed to always have injuries,sounds like a certain rb.

we still have time to iron out the wrinkles and even then maybe a full game or two to of regular season to gel,lots of moving parts to come together as one unit,or two if you seperate offense and defense,some things can’t be rushed,coaches keep coaching til the light comes on,it started with a vision at the top and now the grinding begins.

28. By Scott H on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

This Taylor Kid is among the many good things we can take out of this game. He looks like a player! As a 4th WR? He should definitely make this team AND be doing more than watching from the sidelines. This boy can play.

other than that –

– SOOOO great to see Fitz getting a lot of looks and balls that he actually CAN catch because they’re in the same time zone as his hands. Not surprising that when you get the ball to your play-makers, they make plays and make the team better. As simple as it gets. The ball in Fitz’s hands on a regular basis makes this team better. When Fitz can’t get the ball, well….see the 2012 season.

– GREAT to see Mendenhall looking healthy and ready to go. If healthy, he’s the real deal and the most legit RB this team has had since the Edge.

Defense looks fantastic. LOVE all those take-aways. However…

-…how do you take the ball away THAT MANY TIMES and only come away with 12 points??? Very disappointing, that.

– and what the heck happened to our QB’s once they got into the red zone??? Was anyone else pulling their hair out as they watched this??? It was so nice to see the ( first team ) offense to sustain drives down the field and inside the 20…and then it was like they entered the Bermuda Triangle or something, where passes would leave the QB’s hands only to never be heard from again. Between the errant passes that were just horrible and others that looked horrible because the QB and WR’s were obviously NOT on the same page…ugh. Hardly matters in the 2nd pre-season game. But that will kill you when the games start to count.

– back to the positive side, I find myself feeling very positive about Arians. Seems very in control of himself and everything else on the sidelines. And I get the feeling it’s not pleasant to go back to that sideline after you just screwed up!

– on special teams, we might have the best punter in the NFL this year. But Feely? We are average, at best. Would not be surprised to see another kicker or two come through here this year.

29. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Cant wait to watch the game tonight on NFL Network.
    But being at the game, these are the things I noticed;

-Cowboy fans rank right up with raider fans as the most uninformed fans, I sit on the 50 on the visitor side and was surrounded by cowboy fans. Most didn’t have a clue what was going on or their team history. One fan behind me had no idea the cowboys have only won one playoff game in 17 years.
    Nothing worse than being surrounded by drunk, ignorant cowboys fans.

– Palmer looks very good. I am excited about this season with him at the QB.

– Honey Badger kept getting beat inside when covering the slot. The LBs would blitz or come up and HB would let #17 beat him again and again inside for an easy slant. He has to get better there.

– I saw a lot of Ronald Talley and I like him as a solid player. Hope he makes this team.

– Brown and Taylor are really good. Not only do the run good patterns but catch the ball well with their hands. Big bodys, who go up, catch the ball cleanly with their hands can play on my team.

– Not much of a passrush. We need to do much better in that area.

– Jefferson looked great. 2 picks, a couple tackles for loss. He can play in the box or drop back in coverage. The team needs playmakers. Cutting him for a special teams guy that doesn’t make plays at safety would be a mistake.
    That would be like releasing DWash because Reggie Walker is a special teams demon. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

– Speaking of special teams, Bethel showed back up with another big play (forced fumble)

– I knew Brinkley struggles in coverage but what I liked was how he never gave up. Twice I saw him running from behind on a play, and then I believe he recovered both fumbles (long one by RB and the one Powers caused)

– Powers put his stamp on being the other starting CB as he had a pick and a forced fumble. Good game for him.

30. By Dynosoar on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Cards4ever,

Too bad the opportunity wasn’t there for you to give Moore someone to eat with.

So, we’ve outscored opponents 29-7. We’re getting mad turnovers. It’s still scrimage time, but we’re winning the scrimages at least from the standpoint of points.

I listen to fans (of any team) and if I understand correctly all fans want it’s to have a sack / forced fumble with recovery / interception on every defensive play and a touchdown run or pass on every offensive play.

Well, the other teams have professionals also and they’re job is to do the same thing. So I’m actually ok with the other team making plays. My only desire is that our plays lead to more points than their plays. Preferrably a lot more points.

I enjoyed both games. Our team played better (perfect no, but deffinately better) than both opponents. And these are opponents who are perenial Super Bowl favorites of the pundits every year.

Super Bowl bound? I say yes and I’m hoping I’m right. 2 wins, 20 to go. I try to keep perspective and remember the Lions going 4-0 in preseason with 15 or 16 losses in the regular.

Here’s to 20 more wins and the most perfect of perfect seasons.

ps. I like both Taylor’s and both Brown’s.

31. By dan on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

I agree with marc that Tony J makes the squad. He’s a strong tackler, but much more than that he has God-given center field skills — he lays back to dupe the QB, then makes his move with great hands and timing.

He would have been a mid-rounder except for a dismal 40 yr dash at the combine (4.75) But some guys just have a bad day, and they sure pay the price!

Lindley looked good again, with 4/6. Added to his 3/5 last week, he’s 7/11 so far.

I see us keeping six WR’s, with 4-6 being Brown, Taylor and Hawkins.

It’s difficult to wait a whole week for the next game!

32. By Tbru on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

“It only takes one hit to learn how to fair catch”

One of my new all time faviorte football quotes

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Third game

Arians said the starters would be playing into the third quarter.

34. By Chris on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren-
    Something I am surprised that it´s not mentioned is the lack of pass rush created by the D. Especially the DEs (who were so pumped up due to more opportunities for them to get upfield) are non factors.

DO u think it´s
    a) Bowles plays a very basic, vanilla defensive scheme in preseason?
    b) They want to concentrate on stopping the run
    c) They just fail

35. By clssylssy on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

What an ugly win! Thank goodness we have a defense and special teams to keep us in the game. Once again the QB play was terrible, and, no,when you overthrow, underthrow or aim for the invisible man, it’s not the receivers fault. Fitz can make those unbelieveable catches but these QBs don’t seem to understand not everyone is Fitz. Our running game was improved and is the best we’ve hand in years and Taylor, Mendenhall and Ellington looked pretty darn good. That interception by Powers was a thing of beauty and I can see a lot of talent on this team that, if developed, could make the Cards a team not to be taken for granted It’s only preseason so this is a time to make mistakes and learn from them. I TOTALLY HATE Coach BA’s devaluing and dressing down our players in the press, constructive criticism and teaching is one thing but snarky remarks to the media is unprofessional and unproductive. If we want others to respect us, we first need to show respect to ourselves and I’ve yet to see any growth occur as the result of public humiliation. I fully expected a win at University of Phoenix Stadium due to the “fandamoniam” and extra man advantage, but the last five minutes of the game, I was starting to see the Cowboys rip victory from our grasp…de ja vu? Thank goodness for Jay Feeley (he still has it, although I have to wonder if he would have more passion getting the little white ball in the cup ) or else the Cards would have blown numerous opportunities to win, still unable to convert take aways into TDs. Hopefully, this preseason exercise exposed areas needing to be addressed and will be corrected in the coming weeks. Before we get overly emotional are start feeling bullet proof we need to remember to keep things in perspective and grow from our mistakes so we can be better next week.

36. By Kevin S on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

After all the QB problems we’ve had, I can’t believe some people would rather see a six-year backup who hasn’t thrown a regular season pass since 2010 as our QB over a former #1 OA pick with a 62.5% career completion percentage who threw for over 4000 yards last year on a bad team. When we got Stanton, I was thinking, OK, maybe he’ll turn out alright, but the key word is “maybe” — it’s basically another Kolb experiment again (trying to see if we can turn another team’s backup into our starter). Why choose maybe when you can go with an established guy?

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Pass rush

The lack of QB pressure is noticeable. Why that is will be very hard to judge until we get to the regular season.

38. By clssylssy on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

And on a different note…
    I want to give the Cardinals franchise credit for doing an extraordinary job in handling the public education about the NFL’s bag policy. In addition to your articles on the new policy, the articles in the Arizona Republic and reminders on the local TV and radio stations, I was floored to get a TEXT reminding me if I were going to the game that the NFL’s new policy prohibited purses or bags and would be enforced, etc. In speaking to friends attending other games, this apparently was not done by every team. I have always been impressed with the speed, organization and efficiecy demonstrated by the U of Phoenix security personnel in inspecting purses and moving the crowd along so as not to create major jams and long waits, while remaining respectful and friendly. EXCELLENT JOB and a “10”and Thank You!

39. By clssylssy on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

Kevin..
    what’s important is the performance in the here and now. So Palmer threw for 4000 yards which translated into 2 wins? I’m for giving him the benefit of the doubt but when the day is done we need the best guy under center who will give us the most successful offense. Choosing a QB based on old stats is going to get us back to square one, we need someone who is able to perform NOW. Perhaps this home game was a little overwhelming and some of our players had the jitters, which now that they’ve had a taste of the atmosphere at U of Phoenix, will discipate. It would be great if we could have a situation like the Redskins have with RGIII and Cousins or the Saints had with Drew and Chas Daniels whereby the “backup” could seamlessly take over if needed to lead the team to a win. All this one upmanship is kinda unproductive. You have to admit Stanton is a lot more mobile and faster than Palmer and is familiar already with Coach BA’s scheme.

40. By Scott H on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

Dynosaur –

Not to nit-pick , but was it actually necessary for you to point out that we are at least winning the scrimmages from a standpoint of points AFTER you pointed out that we/ve out-scored our opponents 29-7?

41. By Kevin S on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy,

I agree it would be great to have a competent backup and I hope Stanton is that guy. All I’m saying is, we have people saying they prefer Stanton based on seeing him throw a few passes in the preseason… I mean, come on, Palmer may not be Aaron Rodgers but he isn’t chopped liver. I remember about this time last year there were people saying that Ryan Lindley looked like our best QB.