Signs the Cards are ready to wrap

Posted by Darren Urban on August 20, 2013 – 6:12 pm

The Cardinals ran their conditioning test back on July 25. With training camp ending later this week, there might have been a couple of signs the players are ready to wrap up here at University of Phoenix Stadium. In the morning locker room session, I asked Darnell Dockett if he was ready for camp to end. “I’ve been wanting camp over,” Dockett said. “I’ve wanted camp over from the second day. I just want to lay in my own bed. I have no problem with the two-a-day schedule. That’s football. It’s living in the hotel. I just don’t like that.”

Then, at the beginning of practice, there was a sight unseen since camp began — a true scrap. In a one-on-one special teams drill, wide receiver Charles Hawkins was a gunner and cornerback Bryan McCann was jammer, and McCann knocked Hawkins down with a powerful jam down the field. Hawkins took exception, to the points swings were taken and the two had to be separated.

“Towards the end of camp, tempers are flaring, people’s jobs are on the line, emotions run high,” McCann said. “You always can (feel the urgency) this time of camp. It’s just part of football.”

– The addition of Mike Thomas at receiver isn’t a surprise. The Cards were going to be looking at receivers. The inexperience is obvious, and when there is a chance to grab a guy with experience, you take it. It’s not like it’s a risk. One-year deal, and I’d guess the Cards can easily release him in two weeks if he doesn’t make sense. But he’s proven himself in this league. And Bruce Arians has been middle-of-the-road enough on his young receiver evaluations that bringing in one isn’t a shock.

– At the same time, there should be no shock when this team makes moves or adds guys even at positions you might think are set. Steve Keim and Co. have made crystal clear they will bring in guys who they think will help. Could that cost someone surprising a job? Sure. That’s the NFL. There are still two open roster spots. Things can happen.

– The injury list shrinks. TE Jeff King (knee), RB Ryan Williams (knee), WR Andre Roberts (ankle), WR Jarrett Dillard (concussion), T Joe Caprioglio (foot). LB Dan Giordano (toe) remains on the PUP list.

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to “Signs the Cards are ready to wrap”

1. By andystandsup on Aug 20, 2013 | Reply

Where’s all the up in arms about TE Jeff King not playing that is going on with RB Ryan Williams? Both seem to be in the same spot, yet no one is talking about Jeff (and I’m a King fan).
    And, I also see a surprise veteran being cut.
    Maybe Mike Leach or Reggie Walker? Perhaps Dockett or Antoine Cason?
    How about Peterson or Fitz?

2. By John A. on Aug 20, 2013 | Reply

Do you think the Cardinals will look at Richard Marshall?

3. By Sam on Aug 20, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I noticed you left Ryan Williams off the injured list, is there a reason for that? I was at the practice today, didn’t see Williams practice though. Thanks for keeping us up to date with everything with our team. Keep up the good work.

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2013 | Reply

John A —

RE: Marshall

I think they are happy with their corner selection already.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2013 | Reply

Sam —

RE: Ryan Williams

My mistake. I just forgot to list him. He didn’t practice.

6. By cardsalltheway on Aug 20, 2013 | Reply

I’m waiting for a TE to get signed, gawd we need help.

7. By Eazy E on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Mike Thomas ain’t bad, but don’t tease us keim and arians, get a darn big name because God forbid he makes the team and we suffer injuries at the position and you look out wide and he’s across from Fitz for instance. #Not a Good Look #God Forbid #T.O.? #Chad Johnson?

8. By carlo milano on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Good morning Darren,
    They still have 2 open roster spot right now?

9. By carlo milano on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Eazy
    They can look also at Rb position?
    What about Terrel Davis or Marshall Faulk?

10. By Dynosoar on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Before reading this, know it’s based mostly on pre-season stats, so how to translate to regular season is, well…

Thomas average from 09 – 11 is 53 catches, 562 yards and 2 TD’s
    this pre-season (remember, starters don’t get played the same) 3 C, 19 yrds & 0 TDs

Taylor preseason 4 C, 85 yrds & 0 TD’s – projection 32 C, 680 yrds & ? Td’s

Brown preseason 7 C, 74 yrds & 2 Td’s – projection 56 C, 592 yrds & 16? TD’s

Hawkins preseason 6C, 147 yrds & 0 TD’s – projection 48 C, 1176 yrds (this would have to produce TD’s) & ? TD’s

Again, preseason so while projections are fun to do they are wildly unreliable. But again, they’re fun to do. I’ll do another projection after first cuts, for fun.

After all, football is fun. I’m having more enjoyment with all this with two game stats: Win against Green Bay and Win against Dallas. Projection out over the season, 2 wins 0 losses (so half the games played) multiplied by half of 16 would be 8 X 2 =16 wins. Sounds good to me. Followed by 3 more wins and a victory celebration next Feb.

That was fun.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Roster spots

It’ll be one after Carpenter signs.

12. By brownie on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

andystandsup

You say you see a surprise veteran being cut and you list peterson and fitz? Are you freaking kidding me!? Those 2 are the heart and soul of the team. Give your head a shake

13. By art on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Andystandsup??? What are you talking about, cut Fitz, I do believe if that happens, there will be riots in the street and fans will tear down UofP from pillar to post within hours. Not saying that I advocate violence, but if Fitz was cut, our best receiver and face of our franchise, I would venture to guess that Steve and Bruce both would be looking for a job about 2 minutes later. Get real, Fitz, Peterson, Dockett are most likely untouchable with this team this year.

14. By Eazy E on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply