Never forget — skill wins out

Posted by Darren Urban on August 21, 2013 – 2:14 pm

Bruce Arians was talking at lunch about some of the moves the team has been making and noted that new wide receiver Mike Thomas had a résumé none of the other young receivers did. He also noted Thomas had speed, something the Cards are always looking for at wideout. Arians was asked again later how important that résumé was. Arians didn’t hesitate.

“That should help him, (but) the deciding factor though was speed,” Arians said. “He does have the résumé, But if he were slow and had that résumé, he probably wouldn’t be here.”

You need a total package. The Cards had undrafted rookie Robby Toma, who seemed to catch everything thrown his way. But he didn’t have the speed, he didn’t have the size and he definitely didn’t have the experience. Robert Gill had the speed but he didn’t have the experience, he struggled catching the ball of late and before that, he was battling a bad hamstring too often. Those were the reasons those guys were cut Wednesday. And it’s a reminder you need to total package to stick around.

Besides, at 87 players, the Cards have to slice 35 more guys before the regular season, not including anyone else they claim/sign. A lot of the current guys are going to have to go.

– WR Andre Roberts (ankle) was back at practice Tuesday. Arians said the Cards will take it slow with him.

– Arians still has hope TE Jeff King (knee) will be able to practice some this week and maybe play in Saturday’s game.

– If Roberts is down, it is Jaron Brown and Kerry Taylor the next in line — not Thomas — to get the bulk of the work in the game. With Patrick Peterson and Rob Housler as receiving options, I think the Cards keep at most five receivers. There’s a lot on the line for Brown/Taylor/Thomas. The other young guys will get more work in the preseason finale.

– Arians won’t have a lot of time to evaluate Thomas, but that’s a reality of the situation. “There are guys you claim off the waiver wire where you get one day and they have to play on Sunday sometimes,” Arians said. “That’s the hardest part of coaching, get a guy on Tuesday and have to play him Sunday.”

– Arians said he hopes to play Daryn Colledge about 10 snaps at center against the Chargers. “Ten to 12, all in one good long drive for a touchdown,” Arians added.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Never forget — skill wins out”

1. By job on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

typos. “will take is slow” “Arians still as hope”

2. By Dynosoar on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

jasonc,

thanks for helping my memory, as old as I am (Haha) I’m entitled to forget. On top of that (sorry for this pun) I’m bald so I have nothing to hold the details in my head.

What jasonc said.
    That was in 2010 when he scored 25 points going 5/6 on FG 4/4 on XP and the rushing TD

FEEEEELY

3. By Dynosoar on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

“…all in one good long drive for a touchdown.” – BA

how about one of several good long drives for a touchdown.

When I was 8 I chose the pretty red bird (heh, I was 8) over the lightening bolt and I’ve never looked back. Take down the bolts!

4. By erik on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Colledge to play at center, huh? Is Sendlein’s position as a starter at risk, or are they just trying stuff out in case of injuries down the road?
    Very interesting…

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Erik —

RE: Colledge at center

They will dress 7 on game days. If you want for instance Chilo at G and one of the tackles, someone has to be able to play C if Sendlein goes down.

6. By jasonc on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar-

No worries I’m glad I could help. The last three seasons have been equally awful so it’s understandable to get the details mixed up. Here is how I keep them together…2010: “The Derrick Anderson Debacle”, we go 5-11 by playing DA, Max Hall and John Skelton and are bad enough to draft PP (this is the season Whiz should have been fired in my opinion, but he was still living off of the 2008/09 success. I’ll never understand why he waited until that preseason to release Leinart. If Matt didn’t have the goods shouldn’t he have already know that? He had over 3 seasons worth of evaluations from OTA’s, mini camps and preseason games to actual games with Leinart at the helm and he waits until Warner retires to decide that he can’t succeed in his offense?!? Doesn’t this bother anyone else? I’m waiting for the 30 for 30 documentary because I’m sure there is a backstory that nobody knows about. Bottom line is Leinart would’ve been a better play when DA failed than an UDFA rookie or a 5th round draft pick…epic failure of a season) . 2011: “The New Hope…aka The Kevin Kolb Potential Season”. I can’t lie I was excited that we were able to trade for a guy that was coveted…it’s easy to say what a terrible trade it was now, but at the time there were quite a few teams that wanted him and he did have “potential”l. However, he quickly gets injured (recurring theme unfortunately) and Skelton pulls a ‘Tebow’ down the stretch to win a bunch of games in the year you didn’t want to win games (aka the ‘suck for luck’ draft year), jury is still out on the Floyd pick but I’m hopeful. 2012: “The Second Putrid QB Battle in Less than 3 Years season”. QB battles are exciting when you have two guys who are both playing well hence it is battle, QB “battles” are excruciating when you have two guys who can’t win the job. Skelton ‘wins’ the job and quickly pulls a ‘Kolb’ by getting injured quickly, Kolb strangely enough pulls a ‘Skelton/Tebow’ and gets everyones hopes up…but then, not to be outdone by Skelton, shows us all how to truly pull a ‘Kolb’, Skelton can’t conjure up the magic he had in 2011 and we have our second 5-11 season.

Wow, that escalated quickly…I didn’t mean for that to happen.

7. By georgiebird on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

BA realizes that Seattle and SF have become two of the more athletic teams in the league especially with the speed of the QBs. As a counter, BA/Keim are going to get every athletic/speedy player they can.
    Hopefully, an old time stationary QB can keep the mistakes to a minimum. The one part of skill that is usually overlooked is Brains.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

That was painful to read and relive. Lets never mention that again.

9. By jasonc on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I know, I’m sorry. I was just going to name the seasons and then all of a sudden it just got out of control. Here is my problem with the Whisenhut/Leinart saga: I feel like Whisenhut knew early that Leinart wasn’t his guy, but because Leinart was a high draft pick and Whiz hadn’t won yet he didn’t have the clout to get rid of him via trade or release. I know he was a high draft pick who had shown flashes of being a good QB but if you remember in Leinart’s second season and Whiz’z first they spent the first four weeks of that year playing musical QB’s before Leinart breaks his collarbone in week 5. That right there shows you that Whiz wasn’t comfortable with just letting Matt play. So,,,,if we put Leinart on the trade block prior to the 2008 season don’t you think teams would’ve been interested? Whiz was a ‘genius’ so he should’ve know what Matt had, plus Matt wasn’t Whiz’s guy so they had the opportunity to cut ties and get their guy. Guess who was picked 2 spots after we took DRC in the 2008 draft…Joe Flacco. Questions that could be answered by the 30 for 30 special: Did Whiz have any real power before the super bowl run? Did he want a change at QB and the front office (who drafted Leinart) wouldn’t let him? Did Matt Leinart have an amorous relationship and bad break up with someone Whiz knew?

Hey, I’m still waiting for your thoughts on the Dallas game after being able to watch the replay.

10. By LadyBird04 on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

Arians was on Doug & Wolf this morning and said he basically had the team down to the final 53 already. He obviously didn’t give out the names but I guess if you haven’t shown him your stuff by now, it’s too late!

Now all we have to do is guess what is going through his mind and who will be on the practice squad.

11. By ored on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

if palmer is successful then speed at that position will be more of strikes downfield to recievers than exposing the qb to running,i’m thinking accurate passing trumps qb runs.

we’ve already seen how hard it is to find a good qb,why would we want him to play rb also,throw it away and move on to the next play.i’ll take down the field receptions(along with the possibility of pass interference calls) any day over qb runs that could end in a crunch.i guess there could be a point made for the excitement of the qb scrambling,but if ends like rg3 last year,that would be deflating.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

jasonc,

Flacco; I have to admit, I was leading the band when it came to DRC. I felt he could have been a shutdown CB coming out.

But 2009 bothered me more. We almost lost Kurt to SF. He signed a two year deal, so we knew his days were numbered, and there were a few teams jumping up and down. Our 2009 draft was horrible as only Rashad Johnson is still on the team. To jump up and take Josh Freeman made a lot of sense to me. Heck his 68 Tds and 11000 yards the last 3 years might of helped us a bit.

I agree a trade with Leinart in 08 or 09 would have made sense too.

As for Dallas;

My Tivo didnt tape (user error) and I havent seen it on TV yet.

One thing I remember from the game was Fitz. When Brandon Carr went one on one with Fitz, he had 3 catches on that drive. Then it appeared the cowboys put someone overtop. The cards have to find a way to get Fitz one on one, which may explain the signing of the new wr. Speed gets safties attention and will get those one on ones for fitz and floyd.

13. By jasonc on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

Flacco, Freeman…I don’t care who. The point is: if you knew Leinart wasn’t your guy you should’ve made a move WAY before 2010, and if you didn’t, or if you were unable to communicate to the front office that he wasn’t…then your firing was inevitable.

That sucks you didn’t get to see the replay. On second viewing I think that our passing game wasn’t as bad as I thought it was after watching it live. It started out really well…just a couple of bad passes in the red zone were the difference between Palmer having a below average day and an above average day. The last 1st team drive after the big Mendenhall run we had three straight incomplete passes and just looked awful so I think that led to my thinking the passing game was worse than it was.

I’m going to be deploying this weekend and will miss the SD game so I hope you can give some insight.

14. By Javier Mendizabal on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

Should have kept Toma. Skill can be achieved over time, the guy can definitely ball, why cut a ROOKIE who catches everything just because he doesn’t have NFL experience ? Of course he doesn’t, he’s a rookie. Meanwhile we sign some guy who hardly even has any stats but has a “resume” of being ‘fast.’ Please.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

Javier —

RE: Toma versus Thomas

Same size. Thomas considerably faster. Thomas 176 NFL receptions, and still young. Toma was a good story, but not sure why this would even be a question at this point.