Feely ready for competition with Carpenter

Posted by Darren Urban on August 21, 2013 – 8:39 am

The Cardinals are about to sign free agent kicker Dan Carpenter, as first noted by Adam Schefter (nothing official yet from the team, but a player usually has to pass his physical and sign his deal before that happens). It’s not a surprise that Jay Feely would get some competition. Bruce Arians wasn’t happy with the short missed field goal the other night and there has been some talk Feely’s kickoffs aren’t always deep enough (although he seemed to do fine there against the Cowboys.)

Kicking in Arizona is an attractive option, given the weather and mostly indoor facility. Certainly Carpenter, who has kicked his whole career in Miami, is used to nicer weather. Still, the Packers want a kicker too. You have to wonder exactly what Carpenter was told about the situation here and Feely’s place to convince him to sign with the Cards. Was it just that this is wide open? It will be interesting to see how they break down opportunities in the next two games too.

Feely made 4-of-5 field goals last week, including a 53-yarder. He made a higher percentage of field goals last year than Carpenter. Carpenter is 10 years younger, so maybe that’s a factor. We’ll see how this plays out. The last time the Cards brought a veteran special teamer late in camp to challenge another veteran, Dave Zastudil ended up suddenly taking Ben Graham’s job at punter.

I’m sure it’s not lost on anyone either the fact that, when Carpenter, as an undrafted rookie, won a kicking job in Miami in 2008, the veteran he beat out was Jay Feely.

UPDATE: Bruce Arians wouldn’t comment because the news is yet to be official. Feely did talk about it.

“I’ve had competition my whole career and there’s competition whether someone is here or not,” Feely said. “You are always competing against every other kicker in camp and even guys who aren’t in camp. I’ve been there myself. This doesn’t change anything for me. I’m comfortable with what coach Arians told me and I will keep competing. I am happy with where I am at right now and progressing to get ready for St. Louis.”

Feely did not get into details of what he and Arians spoke about, but said he embraced the competition.

“I am proud of my performance over the last four years,” Feely said, noting that he was third in the NFL in field-goal makes over 47 yards the last four years, fifth in percentage at that distance and fifth in percentage from less than 47 yards. “I am happy with how I have performed the last few years and happy with my training camp so far.” Feely said he made a 57-yard field goal in practice Tuesday.

Feely called his 30-yard miss against the Cowboys “dumb,” saying he rushed it and should have just taken a delay of game to set himself. But he added he thinks his progression has been good in camp, including the last 10 days.

“I’ve been around long enough to know the job of management is always to get better,” Feely said. “To try to find someone who is better on the roster and your job as a player is to prove to them you are the best option.”

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “Feely ready for competition with Carpenter”

1. By clssylssy on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

I’d feel better if the Cards would focus more on the QB play and depth. As Mike Shanahan said after Cousins went down,” you can’t have enough strength in your QB depth in this league as evidenced by what we’ve seen in the past few years” (referring to Payton Manning and RGIII). This is preseason and even the sports announcers talk about how special teams(kickers) don’t usually get in form until the season opens, and I have even noted that Feely didn’t seem like he was putting everything he had into it but we should also remember that Feely has kicked 61 yarders last season and 4/5 isn’t anything to panic over unless your kicking game is all you have. My question about the guy from Miami would be, why are they getting rid of him if he’s all that good? Sometimes there is an upside to working with the known as opposed to gambling on a long shot…especially if you are depending so heavily on those FGs!

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

clssy —

RE: Miami K choices

The Dolphins drafted a kicker in the fifth round, allowing them to cut Carpenter, who was set to make more than $2.5M.

3. By Hammy on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Another great move by this organization. Im am glad to see that we continue to sign players that have the potential to make us an elite football team. Also signing Mike Thomas as a wide receiver option is a good signing too, I had the opportunity to watch his all his games when he was with the Jaguars. He is a playmaker when the ball is in his hands. Good special teams return man as well.

4. By gbrim on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Carpenter is no upgrade over Feely.

5. By Dynosoar on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

gbrim,

but perhaps this will light a fire in Feely. We all need that from time to time. I still remember his 20+ point game last season. I think it was 5 field goals, a touchdown and the extra point for his own touchdown. FEEEEEELY!

6. By lg on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

I new they was going to sign him after miami let him go. hopfully feely can beat him out.

7. By D on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Isn’t Jay a free agent after this year? I like Jay, he does alot of good work off the field.
    Too bad about R. Williams, I am surprised he has not been released, probably will be at the first cut. I remember before his ugly injury in GB how quick he was. Maybe the knee just needs more time to heal if he sits out rest of this year…

8. By jasonc on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar-

Last year?!? That was in 2010 when he scored 25 points going 5/6 on FG 4/4 on XP and the rushing TD.

9. By Dynosoar on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

lg,

gbrim and I both agree with you there.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

D —

RE: Feely

He is in the last year of his contract.

11. By just on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

keep feely!!! He has moxy in the critical moments…

Jeeez can the season start already!!!

Smart and Fast, I hope they got it in them to start a new Cards era, sooo sick of the Kurt shadow…

12. By job on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

They better not cut any more vets. I still have mixed feelings about A dub and Rhodes.

13. By georgiebird on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

With Feely in his last contract year and 10 years older than Carpenter- this is Carpenter’s job to lose. Arians is looking to next year. The Cards will have a very good year in the West going 8-8. Where does that leave the Cards next year if they go with Feely?
    On a year by year the guys are comparable but the 30 yarder will now haunt Feely.
    Not to say Carpenter won’t get replaced next year- BA is a man in motion.

14. By Roger on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

The class act that Jay Feely is dictates that he takes the high road. I welcome the competition, I am comfortable with this move etc etc is what one would expect him to say. The question still remains , why make this challenge?
    His performance for the Cardinals over his last four years has been stellar. He was 89 % on field goals last season which shows he has consistently gotten better and better each year he plays. His kick offs have been very strong and he holds the all time record for solo tackles by a kicker. His 61 yard F.G. last season shows he has not lost leg strength but gained strength.
    So why would the cards make this move at this time? Do you really believe it is because he missed one field goal out of five in the last game in which he scored all of the Cards total points?
    If you do I would like to sell you a bridge. Why then make this move at this time? The answer lies in little known NFL history dating back to 2001.
    Enough said for now.

15. By Corgon on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Don’t understand, don’t like it.
    Ok, bring some competition in, but keep talking about a missed 30 yarder is just nonsense. What about the other 12 points? He won the game for us. Of course the missed 30 yarder is a mistake, but it’s a blowned flea. Or the win is a win speech was just crap.
    I hope we’ll keep Jay. He’s an asset and so much better than Carpenter.

16. By sqhead on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

I have been wanting them to find a replacement for Feely ever since they changed the kickoff rules, he doesn’t produce many touchbacks and i think that will be a liability. Hopefully Carpenter has a better leg for that situation.

17. By cardsalltheway on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Although Carpenter is younger than Feely, he’s still not young enough to save on salary cap. If you’re going to make a change find a kicker similar to Will Batson(college grad. 2012), but from a bigger Univ. than N. Alabama that has played/kicked in front of bigger crowds/stadiums under more pressure.

We need a younger and stronger kicker than Carpenter who can cover kicks and wouldn’t be as prone to injury(“injuries forced Carpenter to miss two games in each of the past two seasons”). On the down side, that would require a little more work(scouting).

18. By Francis on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

Feely is one of the Best.. Kickers in the NFL and the Cardinals would be dumb to get rid of him. He has done a lot for our team,

19. By infitzwetrust on Aug 21, 2013 | Reply

There both good kickers and it’s simply a win-win situation.

I’d still take Feely due to:

– can probably woop some @ss; dude has huge guns.
    – huge respect for him and his off the field work, plus his association with the nflpa
    – broncos game a few seasons ago

20. By Lifetime Fan on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

I think it is a good move from a competition standpoint, but at the same time i really hope that jay doesn’t miss another easy one and they end up giving Carpenter the job because of it. The stats from the last few seasons show Jay as clearly the better kicker, and he has always been clutch as a Card. Keep Jay please!

21. By Eazy E on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

Go ahead Jay and kick his ass(no pun intended).

2. Aug 21, 2013: Cardinals Blogs | Kicking Competion – Dan Carpenter and Jay Feely Part II
  3. Aug 23, 2013: Arizona Cardinals 2013 Specialists News | Johnson Kicking