• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Keim delivers “pep talk” to Williams

Posted by Darren Urban on August 22, 2013 – 10:09 pm

On the sideline during Wednesday’s practice, while his teammates practiced and Ryan Williams was sitting out yet another session, he had an extended discussion with General Manager Steve Keim. At that point, the running back had missed every practice since July 28. The next day — today — Williams was back on the field.

Williams, noting that the discussion was after the decision was made to have Williams return to practice Thursday, said it was “kind of a pep talk.”

“Me and Steve, we have a really, really good relationship,” Williams said. “You know the business side of things and the political side of things and all that, but I can honestly say, anything that comes out of Steve’s mouth, I believe.

“He was the one, when I came here on my (pre-draft) visit in April a couple years back, I remember vividly, he was like, ‘Hey, we really think you might be picked in the first round but if not, we have a pick at 38, and if you don’t go before then, you’ll be the pick at 38,’ ” Williams added. “People talk, but I was picked 38th, Ever since then, me and Steve have had a close relationship. So it was kind of a pep talk.

“He really wanted to see me out there, as well as the coaches and people in the upstairs offices. I’m ready to show what I’ve got. I’ve got a short amount of time to do it. That’s what I’m going to accomplish.”

Keim found Williams again Thursday as practice was getting started, to give him a handshake (pictured below) and some more encouraging words. Williams looked pretty decent during Thursday workout, although he wasn’t pushed much. He could get up to speed running but there was no hitting, and Williams knew that. How he will run knowing guys can start taking shots at his knee — which is what would happen if the plays against the Chargers Saturday.

But Williams had just said Monday he was feeling a “sharp pain” in his knee often — even getting out of a chair, for instance — and anyone feeling that discomfort wouldn’t have looked as comfortable as he did Thursday. Williams said he hadn’t been worried about practice because he had worked out enough Wednesday to know how it would feel. It’s a start. I’m sure Keim would like to keep around a former second-rounder who, even with all his injury problems, still has promise — if he can stay on the field.

– The injury list, as coach Bruce Arians promised, was short Thursday: WR Jarrett Dillard (concussion), T Joe Caprioglio (foot) and QB Caleb TerBush (undisclosed). LB Dan Giordano (toe) remains on the PUP list.

RyWillKeimUSE

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Keim delivers “pep talk” to Williams”

1. By andystandsup on Aug 22, 2013 | Reply

To me, it looked like a “goodbye” handshake.

2. By Leeskicitizen on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

The Cardinal’s injury list is very likely the smallest in the NFL, thank God!

3. By Chuck 1 on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

I would think that the message, delivered in a very non-threatening and friendly manner by a big brother, was “we want you to succeed and you can help the team but we need you on the field”.

4. By lg on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

I no he has been thru a lot since he been in the NFL but when he said he was playing scared in the past that told me he would not be here much longer but i wish him luck.

5. By david on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

He will be cut even if he plays lights out.
    Our other rb’s deserve a shot , ryans had three and counting.

6. By Mike on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know Dave,

I hope that’s not the case. I think Ryan has much more upside that ANY back on our team. If he shows up and plays well, it would be a stupid move to release him before the season starts. Judging what I’ve been seeing from this new staff… I dont think that will be the case.

7. By CardsRepInChile on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

Mike, I hope you are right and that he plays well.

Personally I’m very excited about Stepfan Taylor and think he has the biggest upside in our current backfield. Smart guy, good pass blocking every down back. I think we will open the 2014 season with Taylor as our #1 guy.

Ellington and Ryan are great change of pace guys, but I think they have a better shot in the league as 2nd RB type guys.

8. By david on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

It will be really hard to keep him around but if we do i can picture him on the IR before our bye . I agree with you tho his skill set seperates him from the pack no doubt.

9. By Safety Guy on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

I have to agree with Andy
    And with the high pain scale getting out of a chair Monday and feeling good Wednesday….doesn’t add up.

10. By Safety Guy on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

“Me and Steve” really??? Maybe I’m showing my age but come on Ryan, how bout a little respect for the guy that signs your checks.

Sorry all just a little venting

11. By jasonc on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

Safety Guy-

I’m pretty sure the owner signs the checks.

12. By Safety Guy on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

Jasonc
    Maybe so but you better bet the GM says who stays and goes, and that was my inference.

13. By jasonc on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

Safety Guy-

I understand what you trying to convey…..I was just pointing out the inaccuracy of what you said. I think it’s wrong for you to say that Ryan Williams has a lack of respect though. You have no idea what kind of leader Steve Keim or the relationship he has with his players…maybe he insists that players call him Steve. Just food for thought.

14. By credit card on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

Seems to me, there is a hidden weakness in the Ryan Williams drama. Where are the Cardinal captains? From my view, it appeared as if Williams was walking around absolutely normal. No limp, no funky gate, no look of pain, just standing walking around and watching each practice. A real captain would have sat him down and told him how to man-up. I already miss Adrian Wilson.

15. By truths4all on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

Make no mistake, we now beyond all doubt that Williams is Keim’s guy and he won’t get cut. If he gets hurt, he’ll end up on the IR for the year to give him another chance to make Keim look good to the Bidwills. If Williams was championed by Graves or Whisenhunt, he would have been gone a long time ago, but since Keim picked Williams as evidenced by his promise/prediction that the Cards would take him at 38, we know Williams has a fairy godmother in the GM.

16. By Chiz on Aug 23, 2013 | Reply

Safety Guy… I call my boss by his first name.

17. By Safety Guy on Aug 24, 2013 | Reply

Just not the cloth I’m cut from

18. By Dennis on Aug 24, 2013 | Reply

It seems to me the last time the Cards had a short injury list was the year we made it to the Super Bowl.

19. By dieselbomb on Aug 24, 2013 | Reply

Ryan Williams needs to play lights-out against the Ones in this game.

The Fourth Pre-Season is where they get the best look at the Two’s and Three’s so they can determine who’ll be on the depth-chart.

Ryan has the Fourth game as a conditioning game, but the decision will be finalized in today’s game whenever he gets the snaps.

There’s no real way the coaches are going to create a series of plays just for RWilliams. Unlike Whisenhunt, Arians wants to win every game.

It’s going to be a short Audition; so unless RWilliams is averaging well over 4 yards per carry and puts up a Highlight Reel play (touchdown or big gain) I’m thinking he’ll be available for another team come Tuesday, or at best when they post the 53-man Roster. If he’s still on the team just before the 53, it’s because they think he’s a decent human being. He just needs to translate his opportunities to great things for his future’s sake.