Coop could come back this season

Posted by Darren Urban on August 26, 2013 – 1:20 pm

Coach Bruce Arians said today that the surgery on Jonathan Cooper’s fractured left fibula was a success and the Cardinals are holding out hope he can return later in the season. His status is yet to be determined in terms of injured reserve. The Cards will wait to make that decision until the end of preseason. They still have to make one more roster move by tomorrow to get down to the league-mandated 75.

Cooper’s best-case scenario in coming back is 10 to 12 weeks, Arians said. If he could return for the last six games or so, that would makes sense. Arians wants him to get real regular-season playing time this year if at all possible.

“We don’t want him to be a rookie again next year,” Arians said.

– To replace Cooper, Daryn Colledge will be moved to left guard. Paul Fanaika will move into the starting lineup as right guard. “(Daryn) is not as athletic as Coop, but he’s more than adequate,” Arians said of Colledge’s ability to do the job in Arians’ offense, when the left guard pulls often.

– The rest of the injuries aren’t nearly as bad. Arians described almost all of them as day-to-day, and the hope is that most will be OK by the time the Cards have to play in St. Louis for the opener. Defensive tackle Dan Williams re-aggravated the ankle he hurt earlier in camp, but he was not concerned about it. Running back Rashard Mendenhall has a knee sprain, he too is day-to-day although he won’t play in Denver. Tight end D.C. Jefferson (knee sprain) is going to try and play. TE Rob Housler has a high-ankle sprain, and is probably the most questionable of the bunch. WR Andre Roberts (quad) and LB Matt Shaughnessy (ankle) are “fine.”

– Arians said he cut K Dan Carpenter because he didn’t like the way he was kicking. Penetration was not a problem on Carpenter’s blocked field goal, Arians said — which leaves it to be too low of a kick by the kicker.

– Starters will probably play Thursday, but not much. QB Carson Palmer may not play, however.

– RB Ryan Williams will get the bulk of the work against the Broncos. Arians had no comment on the report the Cardinals were “shopping” Williams. “I’m shopping him as far as getting me some groceries,” Arians said with a smile.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Coop could come back this season”

1. By dylan on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

10-12 weeks for a broken leg? i broke my arm in highschool and i was back playing 6 weeks later

2. By clssylssy on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Good news for a change! He is young and fairly fit and I was being optomistic that he would return. He has some of the best sports medicine and rehab specialists available so should be able to recover fairly quickly if he does what he is suppose to do and sets his mind to it. Glad to hear the other injuries weren’t significant although it seems we have a lot of relatively fragile individuals we are hanging our hopes on (nobody who makes it to the NFL is really “fragile” but in comparison to their peers on other teams). Coach BA may joke about shopping Williams but it seems that usually their is something to the rumor when major news sources make these speculations and as cuts are made by other teams, I’m sure Williams spot is not all the secure. I would also have to wonder about our TEs. Has BA said yet if he is going to play his starters in Denver, many teams are not?

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Clssy –

RE: Starters in Denver

I addressed that in the above post

4. By D on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Besides Cooper, the other important injuries were to Rashard and D. Williams. Both appear okay to be ready for the season opener. We all know who the one player today that will be cut to make the 75 limit, good luck Ryan W, hopefully you wlll get another chance in the NFL.

I think BA will have to adjust his blocking scheme when going against premier pass rushers this year. If the 7th round TE makes the team, I would attach his butt to Levi’s on passing downs to help block. Clearly he is big enough.

Let’s say the Cards keep 7 on the OL this year. Since BA has said he would not move Massie or Potter to the inside, I would guess he will only keep one of them as the Tackle backup this year. I think on film, Massie has had better results of the two.
    Look for Keim to try and trade one of his CB’s to add a draft pick for next years draft. That is how he will continue to be proactive in his approach.

5. By Chris on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Mendenhal has really looked great so far but I’m sure I’m not the only one who is alarmed by his durability. Smith, Taylor, and Ellington have all looked to be an improvement to our run game from last year as well. However, I’m not so sure Mendenhal will last 16 games, does BA view Smith as an every down back should Mendenhal be unavailable?

BTW, thanks for always doing a great job!

6. By Mike G on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! Glad Cooper’s surgery went well and looking forward to seeing him on the field as soon as possible. Feel bad about his injury but that is the reality of the NFL preseason. Those injuries are the worst scenario. It seems the rest of the nicked players are on a day to day basis which isn’t too bad. Mendenhall looked good against the Chargers I just hope he can stay healthy. No real surprise with the cuts at this point–it will be interesting to see what the final 53 look like. Darren– Do you see Taylor and Ellington getting substantial work against Denver????? I have a feeling the Card’s will need them against ST. Louis.

7. By C.M PUNK on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Ryan williams game against the broncos is a TRADE BAIT GAME NICE SMOKE SCREEN DENNY I MEAN BRUCE…..

8. By clssylssy on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Darren, you did…didn’t have my glasses, my bad!

9. By stevenanimator on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

It’s a bit of a relief that was only the fibula. He could be walking on his own in a couple of weeks and be ready to play as early as 6 weeks.

Sightly off topic, but something that is bothersome when trying to post – hitting the TAB button pops you right back up to the top of the page, when entering your name and email address. Normally, hitting the TAB button will pop the cursor to the next entry box. If there’s any chance that could be relayed to whoever does the web development end of things, fix that bug?

10. By Dynosoar on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Well, 23-0 is out. I’m actually a little relieved we lost. The Lions were 4-0 several years ago and went 0-16 in regular season. So 40 in pre-season may not be so good and I do remember our 4-0 start last season (although it was not pre-season.)

My stomach sank as I watched Cooper go down. I loved watching Alfonso this game. Can he do it again? I hope so.

I’ll say no more about a Super Bowl win until we’re in the playoffs. But after we clinch the division, I’ll be talking New York in February. Here’s to that Divisional Title.

Enjoy the rest of pre-season, we’re into the real games real soon.

11. By walt on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

dylan,

Arm / Leg. You do the math..

Go Cards ..I’ll live with 8/8

12. By CDJ on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

@dylan

breaking an arm is completely different than breaking a leg

13. By sbrown on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

dylan –
    the one big difference is that your arm did not have to hold up 312 pounds of offensive guard !
    Cooper must take the full time to heal and come back stronger.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Rookies RBs

Probably will play.

15. By shannon robinson on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

When Coop went down and didn’t get up I had a real bad feeling, an instant heartache – surprised they didn’t get him on a cart immediately. Now we hear he might come back and I’m joyful to settle for six games to finish the season. It’s just amazing to me how up and down we are as fanatics of this game. We Card fans deserve that turn of events, so my prayers were answered. Loved being in the Stadium. The searches were tolerable after we’ve been trained so well at the airport – our stadium personnel were upbeat and efficient, AND helpful. It’s great to see which players are on the field every down, follow the substitutions, accurately identify the defensive formations, know who the TE’s are and where they’re playing, and never look to see the coach’s reaction to anything. This team is fun to watch and cheer for on both sides of the ball. Live football action was sensational and well worth the flight on Southwest from New Mexico. Thank you everyone in the Cards’ Organization for making my visit to U of P Stadium so much fun!

16. By Steve on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Can you remember any other NFL players with Coopers type of leg break and recall how soon they came back on the field?

17. By credit card on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Mr. Cooper say hello to several hours on a stationary cycle and swimming pool. Do the rehab — you’ll be back for the tail end of the season.

18. By credit card on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

My thoughts on Ryan Williams: Obviously the Cards will be displaying Williams. They will either get another team’s prior draft disaster or they will get table scraps. If the offers are not appealing, they will then turn their attention in trying to trade Smith or just release Smith altogether. The problem with Smith is that he is too similar to Taylor and Mendenhall’s skill sets. Better to have a variety of running backs vs. clones of each other.

19. By Dave the on and off again season ticket holder on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Please keep us in the loop w/ J. Cooper’s recovery and through his rehab from time to time. I really was very sad to him go down, he showed so much promise.

Also, do you anticipate seeing any surprise cuts ? I like our roster but do you believe the waiver wire is still real possibility? with the exception of TE maybe I cant see a big need for it. Your thoughts?

Thank you.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

Steve–

RE: Other returns

Not off the top of my head. Every guy is different, and we don’t know exactly what the deal was with the injury.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2013 | Reply

On again off again –

RE: Cuts/Waiver

Depends on what you consider “surprise.” There aren’t many guys I’d drop in that category. As for the waiver wire, it’ll depend on who is available. I could totally see them using it for a position everyone thought was fine, if they really like the guy available.

22. By Eazy E on Aug 27, 2013 | Reply

This ain’t good. Colledge I ain’t high on at LG, RG or wherever really and Fanaika, while he has played well through training camp and the pre-season when I’ve focused in on him, this is the regular season we’re talking about, I don’t know but I trust him a helluva lot more than Colledge and Levi.

23. By red bird of death! on Aug 27, 2013 | Reply

I won’t be surprised if Mendenhall missed a game or 6 this season, hopefully the football gods spare him he’s good. Ryan W owes Arians a new Kangol and a year supply of white knee highs if he makes the team…….count it.

24. By dylan on Aug 27, 2013 | Reply

alright never meant to affend anyone just wanted to know the difference im sure there is a lot but i never thought it would have been 4-6 weeks of a difference though maybe 2-4

25. By Dave P on Aug 27, 2013 | Reply

Maybe this wouldn’t of even happened if BA was a “fullback guy” and wasn’t running linemen down field.

2. Aug 26, 2013: Arizona Cardinals think Jonathan Cooper can return this season - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites
  3. Aug 26, 2013: Rashard Mendenhall’s fantasy value on hold with knee injury | Blog Post Directory
  4. Aug 26, 2013: The Blue Star Lounge - Page 19 - SportsHoopla.com Sports Forums