• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Broncos aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 29, 2013 – 11:46 pm

Tony Jefferson still had his uniform on, his shoulder pads pushing out his grass-stained jersey. After his last showing of the preseason, getting five tackles, a sack, two tackles TJusefor loss, a fumble recovery and a special teams tackle while battling for a roster spot, he was left to … do nothing.

“I’m just going to leave that up to the coaches, whether I am a fit for the team or not,” the undrafted rookie safety said, noting he would be going back to watch his former University of Oklahoma teammates in their opener this weekend.

“I’m going to try and keep my mind off it,” Jefferson said. “Just wait. It’s a waiting game. Just like draft day.”

The wait won’t take long (which is why this aftermath is going to be pretty short and sweet.) Steve Keim said the initial 53-man roster will be set by noon Friday, and Bruce Arians will make it public at 1 p.m. No reason to overly analyze Thursday night, which will be old news soon enough.

Some thoughts on what is coming, in light on what happened in Denver with context through my initial 53-man guess:

– Obviously strong games for QB Ryan Lindley and RB Ryan Williams. Enough to be on the 53? It would make sense, yet you could easily see a scenario where they wouldn’t be. Williams, I suppose, still could be traded, although I don’t see him being simply released. Personally I’d like Williams to stay, but we’ll see. “We’re not cutting good football players,” Bruce Arians said. (Although he didn’t say he wouldn’t trade them.)

– Teams don’t have to be to 53 until Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. So they might still keep 54 or 55 tomorrow if a deal is percolating.

– Lindley is “light years” ahead of where he was, Arians said. “Early on he had trouble processing as the play was happening. Now he has a quarterback rating of (104) and that was with guys busting routes on him. I thought he played extremely well. He was very comfortable out there.”

– All that said, Arians still wouldn’t say if Lindley had made the team for sure yet.

– Speaking of trades, will a defensive back be dealt? I’ve said since the offseason I wouldn’t be surprised in a deal like the A.J. Jefferson trade of 2012.

– I thought rookie wideout Jaron Brown was already on this team. I feel even more confident in that now.

– Beyond Brown? Mike Thomas did catch a touchdown late but he probably should have caught a bomb from Lindley earlier. It would have been a tough catch but it was makeable – and it was the kind of catch that helps you make rosters. Kerry Taylor had a quiet night.

– Arians said TE Jeff King is headed for knee surgery. Not sure if that’s significant enough for injured reserve or not. With Rob Housler still trying to come back from an ankle issue, I’m thinking King won’t be on the roster.

– To my untrained eye, I think Jefferson flashed enough to make them want to keep him. Would it be in lieu of Jonathon Amaya? Other than Jefferson, I didn’t really think any of the defensive backs battling for the roster played particularly well Thursday.

– The lone injury was a shoulder problem for defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin, unfortunate for a guy trying to make the roster. Ronald Talley, the man Arians has been talking up, seemed to make a couple plays. Wondering what that might mean for David Carter, who is on the bubble. Arians said he’d need to see the tape to really give decent analysis on the defensive line play in the game.

– In the locker room, Larry Fitzgerald pointed out the Cardinals logo rookie seventh-round tight end D.C. Jefferson has tattooed on his abdomen. Now that’s confidence in your ability to make the roster.

– I thought before the entire draft class still here (Ryan Swope already having retired of course) makes the 53. I haven’t changed my mind on that.

We’ll see. We’ll know in a little more than 12 hours.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Broncos aftermath”

1. By UK cards fan on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

I wouldn’t like to see us trade away williams either. I think, considering his potential, we would be selling low. The risk of giving him one of the 53 spots would be clearly outweighed by the reward if he stays healthy and produces.

2. By job on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

This game was like a shinning reflection of the season to come. Players like “Ryan” Williams and “Ryan” Lindley who struggled in past seasons. Well they both came out and performed showing what this new regime stands for..”Good Change”. And most of all “improvement” .

3. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Sorry, but DC Jefferson is a waste of time. He make a couple of catches but he’s always holding or making a mistake somewhere else. He’s the kind of guy that loses games for you. Please let him go. Tony Jefferson is a baller and so is Flemmng. Cason has to go. He looks horrible on the field. Ryan WIlliams will have a better year than Mendenhall if they keep him. He’s much more explosive. But Mendenhall is BA’s pet, I like Mendenhall but I don’t think he will stay healthy all year and they will need Ryan William to fill the void. Remember when Whiz let Leinart go and kept Anderson and two rookie QB’s. It was a disaster. Same scenario, different position. I watched Carson Palmer last year with the Raiders and am not convinced he is the right guy for the starter’s position. I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve seen him miss too many reads and throw in to double coverage too many times. Just my two cents. doesn’t mean anything. Don’t mean to be negative, but I am more optimistic this year than I have been in years past.

4. By Chris B on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

How is Ryan Williams as an interviewee? He seems to not spew out the typical cliches but instead actually tells you what he thinks.

5. By Rich on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

first time I got a look at Kory Sperry. He has serious potential.

6. By georgiebird on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Lindley had a pretty good game playing with and against 2nd and 3rd stringers. Now it’s up to BA to evaluate that performance. If BA is impressed then why not keep the 24 year old Lindley and make a decision on the 29 year old Stanton.
    It’s a tough decision for BA who has an affinity for Stanton.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Chris –

RE: Williams

He is honest, which is cool for us.

8. By mal on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

I think many fans take everything way too much at face value. I bet the talk of trading Ryan was Coach’s way of lighting a fire under him and getting him back on the field.

It was the same thing with the talk of keeping just 2 QBs, and bringing in Carpenter to kick. BA has lots of tricks to motivate and get the best out of his guys.

9. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Lindley close call … trust Moore, Arians and Keim to make right call. What I see is a guy getting better but still very inaccurate at times. Lindley looked pedestrian compared to Osweiler.

Thought Ellington does what RyanW does only a bit better rhrn… love RyanW’s guts.. but 5 RB for 1 that plays? Nope… so keep Lindley if Moore says so, cut RW or trade…?? tough call, is why the get the big bucks

LOVED the 2 TE in backfield set, wowowowow … what Whiz wanted to do, Sperry looked good…

Jefferson has to be on 53, imho …

DL looked bad…

Will be tuned in at 1pm!

10. By Dr. G. on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Well, after this Bronco game, it appears that Keim and Arians have a very difficult decision with the Ryans… Against a 2nd team defense, Lindley looked as if he was the 2nd place QB except for one short deep pass that could have been 6 points. He looked good enough for a roster spot… maybe even to compete for the 2nd slot?.. He must have eradicated the demons of last season…Good arm!!
    It’s good to see that some of these decisions are difficult; that means there are some good players in the mix… Arians said that making the 53 does not really mean a roster spot. They could still be cut to make room for other players that are released from other teams. I am confident that some of the Cards cuts will be picked up by other teams. They will know that these players have developed some character under the Cards new mgmt… Be well… The RAMS are the only target now!!

11. By Mike G on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! Glad this last preseason game against Denver is over. I’m glad Williams played well and took a couple of hits. I hope he makes the team–I am pulling for the kid. He seems upbeat and a good character guy. Taylor also contrbuted well on the ground. At this point its the 53 man roster and the St Louis Rams. Time for some regular season football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. By clssylssy on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Wow…I’d say Lindley found his grove thing and was able to shine the way Whiz had envisioned which will be reason enough for BA,Keim and company to cut him. He was better than anything I’ve seen out of Stanton (although I believe it’s there)and was more mobile than Palmer. The best part of the game was watching Osweiler and Richardson who are the future for the Broncos…love to see ASU players do well! Had hoped last year we would go for Osweiler but unfortunately the Cards were wrapped up in the Kolb debacle so Denver swooped him up. The 2′s looked good except for a ugly beginning on defense (even Dansby didn’t seem to know what he was doing) and I’m still of the opinion that we blew it when Keim/BA “cleansed” the defense of the Horton era playmakers such as Wilson and Rhodes. I hope that can figure a way to keep both of the Ryans, I think we are going to need three QBs by the bye, and while Mendenhall, is great out of the gate, don’t think he’ll last the whole season either. Stephan Taylor is the real deal and it’s great to see the Cards finally have a running game. BA said last week he already knew who the 53 were and I get the impression that he is pretty rigid once he’s decided something. Good luck to those young players who did so well last night against good competition. Sometimes, the end of a career with the Cards is only the biginning of an NFL career some place else! Good Job All!

13. By Dr. G. on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

My earlier post was from last night post game.

Darren: your opinion please… You see Lindley in person…— We all saw Lindley in panic mode throwing the ball anywhere to prevent a sack last season. This must have been threatening from Whiz (just assuming this). Lindley looked like a high school QB at times. Now, do you think BA has a more appealing tactical emotional approach with Lindley even though it appears there is a command performance demanded. Lindley seemed cool under fire last night… I just can’t believe the difference…???

14. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

My Take;

First, talented guys will get cut. I dont like that saying that we wont cut talented guys. All 75 guys are pretty talented.

I thought David Carter has disappeared this year. Talley has clearly out played him. Carter looks like a guy who may be released.

Look at the stat line for Jefferson. His two games were outstanding. He must not be good in practice or something to be on the bubble. He can come down hill and hit guys in the backfield for losses and drop back into coverages and pick a ball. He blitzed well and had the sack to end the game. Wish I knew what the issue is, because he looks like a keeper to me.

Lindley played well. But to cut a guy like Talley, Watford or Jefferson to keep him? I say let him go. He is not close to Stanton and Palmer is in another league. Lindley did what he needed to do to make this team but it is a numbers game.

I thought Dansby played poorly this summer. You notice when DWash is out there. Cason Struggled also.

I liked what I saw out of Fleming. Seems he woke up a little.

I really like Ellington. I like Taylor, Ryan Williams is good when healthy. Mendenhal is by far the starter. Where does that leave Smith? He played really well in game 3. He didnt play last night, which is interesting. Keeping 5 RBs is silly. There is no reason for it. Not sure who goes.

Also, not sure Potter is progressing.

When I look at cuts, you have to think who can help you now and who can help you down the line.

Can guys like Jefferson and Watford be starters in the future?

Can Brown and Taylor step in if Floyd or Fitz went down, Can Thomas? I dont think Thomas can play outside. What is the ceiling on Brown and Taylor? Can they get better or is this it? Remember, Roberts, and Floyds contracts are coming up and Fitz’ ballons to 21 mil in two years. Is Brown a future starter? How about Taylor? Hawkins? If not, keep Thomas.

I would think the waiver wire / cuts will come into play also. The 53 wont be the 53 next week.

15. By D on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

I think we should trade Williams, Cards are deep at that spot and let’s face it, RB position is one that requires young healthy knee’s, like what Smith, Taylor and Ellington have as backups to Rashard. Plus, his yards per carry last night was nothing to brag about. I like him, but there are needs to fill on this team.

I would look to trade to a team that needs depth at RB. Cards need another TE since King will be put on IR. I would call the Giants and ask for Pascoe at TE or call the Dolphins and ask for Egnew at TE.

16. By Dennis on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Jefferson, Brown and Taylor would have a spot on any NFL team if they get cut.
    Not impressed with Mike Thomas.

17. By Dr. G. on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Callin’ out Wolfley…. it’s not always a hoot.

Wolf’s partner looked at him and said, “Whaaaaat, I don’t get it.” He seemed a little annoyed at the incessant distracting Vaudeville metaphors, some irrelevant to the game. Is Wolf still auditioning for his tough-guy image? He is a good analyst, and energetic, but the list of metaphors he brings to the booth is becoming overcooked. The broadcast is about the game, not him as “entertainer in chief.” (The internet provides tons of these cliches for him)…. I was distracted by some of this… a little goes a long way…. Sorry, I know he is a good man.

Please bomb thumbs down if this opinion is just totally wrong; perhaps I just don’t get the Wolf…. Thank you.

18. By LadyBird04 on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Both Ryans did what they needed to do. Show they are at least competant and ready to play in the NFL. Lindley made a case that he could be developed – something that couldn’t be said last year. Ryan Williams hopefully has gotten rid of the “jitters” about his previous injuries. Even if they don’t really want to keep them long term, they are both good enough to spark some sort of trade value. (I personally like Ryan W. just because of his grit the last two years with all his injuries)

What the heck happened with Massie and Carter? They looked completely lost out there and regressed so badly that I wonder if they just didn’t know the plays or just can’t do it. Both were light years better last year.

Pretty soon, we’ll at least know the first cuts and then another week until we see what we’ll be playing with this year.

19. By Chris F on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Dr G u an idiot on ur assessment on williams….

if u looked at any of his previous games for Arizona when he played , before injury he was pretty damn good and consistently kept cardinal fans wanting more, a whole AZ community and team would not be pulling for him if he was as mediocre as u make him out to be,Even Darren would tell u when hes healthy hes ON. he still has the shiftiness , the burst and the power, this game was all about the confidence in the knee, and after only one game of preseason in week four against a bunch of roster spot hungry players u could not ask for a better performance, apart from on mistake while fighting for extra yard that got tempered by a face mask call , i was happy. if he stays healthy all year he can possibly take over mendenhals spot , for who i always thought was a good downhill runner but does not have the lateral vision William posses naturally, maybe u should re evaluate ur NFL league pass and go over the last two years of his play before u re post. and if ur saying Williams has never looked as good as he did Thursday night, then your saying larod stephens howling was not the only rb we had that actually was able to move the chains for the cardinals while beanie was starting ( still disappointed we let him go). the G must stand for Gummy Bear.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G –

RE: Lindley

I think Ryan wasn’t ready last year. Plain and simple. A year in, in the preseason, he looks better.

21. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Chris F and Dr G;

RE: Williams

The obvious problem is injury. Williams hasnt been on the field enough to judge him as good or bad.

There was a story earlier in preseason when Darren said Williams made an amazing move, the next day, he was injured again.

Ryan has showed flashes, but there are a lot of guys sitting on their couch who flashed but could not be consistent. To say Williams is this fantastic back is stating something that we have not seen from game to game or in some cases, play to play.

This is what makes Williams making the team so interesting. If he was healthy, would we see more of those flashes and see a consistent star, or is he just an average back with really bad knees. I really have no idea and I think if you say you know, you are fooling yourself. I think the braintrust of the cards have to take an educated guess on this one.

22. By Kevin S on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Lindley actually looked pretty good LAST preseason. And I remember people talking about Skelton in the preseason the year we drafted him. I don’t know if he’s turned a corner but this was the only extensive work he got in any preseason game, and it was the one where the other team is playing their reserves (and a bunch of guys who won’t even be on the team in a few days) the entire game. Brock Osweiler looked great, too. Heck, even Dysert was 5-5 for 147 yards. I mean, some people above are suggesting maybe Lindley’s our #2 now and/or we can consider releasing Stanton…? I hope Lindley has truly improved, but it’s going to take more than one good preseason game to make me forget last year.

23. By Dr. G. on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Hey Chris F… I’ll not reply in like manner of name calling. I am aware that Ryan Williams is a trooper… but even Arians intimated that “he needs to be out there” so we can evaluate him. RW appeared to be concerned of additional injury… probably rightly so. I did not say anything negative about him. Here is what I said: “Ryan Williams has never look as good while on this team. He did not appear scared of getting injured and ran with authority and some T-fortitude!!!” That is not a negative statement… I have not seen him run better than yesterday… He had something to prove…. The fans pull for RW… You may remember the uproar when Adrian Wilson was cut. The fans pulled for him also… I am not retracting anything; I still want RW to do well…. Be well…

24. By ored on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

it’s keim and ba’s turn now,the players need to be turning their attention to the rams,only thing they can control now is their play and the outcome of the game,they’ll adjust to whoever is final 53.

25. By jasonc on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I don’t remember the exact quote, but the gist of the message was that they were not going to cut good players for the numbers game. Obviously just to have to opportunity to compete for an NFL job requires talent.

26. By cert 33 on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Interesting preseason outing against a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Arians has the Cards moving in the right direction for 2013. I think this version of the Cards has a legitimate shot at moving out of last place in the NFC West considering all the talent the Rams lost in the off-season.