A few cuts left to go, and no more Coop

Posted by Darren Urban on August 30, 2013 – 2:14 pm

The other day, Bruce Arians was saying he was hoping Jonathan Cooper could come back this season. He didn’t want his first-round draft pick to be a rookie again next season. Turns out, that won’t be the case. The guard was put on the season-ending version of injured reserve Friday. Each team gets just one spot for the IR-to-return list each season, and Arians said the Cards felt it was smarter to hold it open than save it for the possibility of Cooper.

But either way, Cooper was going to be out the majority of the season. And as for the cuts Friday — the Cards still have seven moves to make, because linebacker Daryl Washington won’t count toward the 53 during his suspension — there were a couple of minor surprises. Defensive lineman David Carter was one, but he lost out in a battle with Ronald Talley. As I had noted a couple of times, Arians had turned up the compliments on Talley and his being “country strong.” It was tough not to notice. And indeed, when asked today about Carter, Arians said the strength was the difference.

“Talley’s strength at the point of attack and ability to play nose was better,” Arians said. “David has a lot of hustle, a lot of effort, but was struggling to hold the point.”

– The Cardinals still have seven defensive lineman, and there have been reports they are looking to find a nose tackle still. If that’s true, rookie Padric Scott still could be released and put on practice squad, for instance.

– Safety Tony Jefferson has been doing well in both games and practices, and the release of Jonathon Amaya probably means he’s going to stay, although Arians said Jefferson is “not through the woods yet.”

– Arians said he was “not totally, 90 percent sure” of the decision he is going to make on QB Ryan Lindley. I’ve said all along I thought he would stay, so I’m not going to change now. We’ll see.

– I found it interesting, after a training camp of talking about how inconsistent the young receivers are, Arians called both Jaron Brown and Kerry Taylor consistent. If there is a pecking order, I’d still put Brown over Taylor, and we will see what happens on the waiver wire.

– No word on Jeff King, but having knee surgery again certainly seems like King could be an IR candidate. If that came to pass, then the Cards only have six cuts to make.

– No draft picks cut yet, and with Rachal being cut it means Earl Watford is your top backup guard.

– The roster is built as of now like this: 7 DL, 11 LB, 7 CB, 4 S, 3 specialists, 11 OL, 5 TE, 5 RB, 5 WR, 3 QB. Obviously, a couple of positions seem out of balance — DL, LB, CB, OL for sure — and are places to look for the rest of the cuts. Which, according to Arians, should be done by noon Saturday.

And then we wait to see if/when/who the Cards pick up from other teams.

UPDATE: Later Friday, linebacker Reggie Walker tweeted out what sounds like his goodbye after being cut (nothing official yet):

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “A few cuts left to go, and no more Coop”

1. By Rich on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Any word on Lumpkin’s injury and status?

2. By Capp on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for all the updated info. It is not easy being a Cardinal fan up here in Seagull country but you make it a lot easier to keep up with all things Cardinals. Anyway, I didn’t see anything mentioned about the play where Watford ended up with the ball and rumbled downfield last night. Did you or anybody else notice how athletic he looked? That is not what a typical guard looks like when they get the ball in their hands

3. By Mark Moreno on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Why cut Charles Hawkins’ Kid Was Good, what a bonehead move from the office

4. By Zach on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Were you surprised at all by the cut of Charles Hawkins? I thought he had a really good preseason. He caught everything that was thrown his way I thought. What do you think the deciding factor was?

5. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Darren- I know this may be a little early… Any Chance WR’s Hawkins and Taylor make the Practice Squad??

6. By Jason on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

I like the look of our cuts. These seem to be tweeks and tightening much more so than last year. 5 backs seems a lot, but I trust BA’s decisions thus far. I like Lindley, and would like to see him stick around. He looks like there’s something special waiting to burst out, all he needs is the chance.

7. By Beth Vereb on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

I think you should keep Lindley! He gave it his all in the game against the Broncos! Pleas Coach,we as fans would love him to be on the roster. By the way, we have so much respect for our terrific coach! Love our Cards forever!

8. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Just curious, did the owners agree to only 53 players in the CBA? Could they go back and have a bigger roster instead of having to cut good players and especially with all the injuries a bigger roster would make sense? Or is this more of a salary cap issue? Your thoughts?
    Mahalo!

9. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

To clarify my question, could the owners go back and renegotiate to increase the roster size?

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Lumpkin

Nothing new on the injury. Still on the roster.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Capp —

RE: Watford

True. But that’s not what is important for him.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Zach —

RE: Hawkins

No, I wasn’t surprised. He is a PS candidate.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: PS WRs

Sure.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Roster size

Yes, both sides agreed to it. I don’t see it changing. I would think the players would want bigger rosters (more jobs, more money) than the owners.

15. By Dave on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Wasn’t reggie walker a proven special teams guy…

16. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Just a side note, Buffalo put Kolb on IR and cut Lienart after 5 days. Not too good news for our past QB’s

17. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

“David has a lot of hustle, a lot of effort, but was struggling to hold the point.” Love BA, tells it like it is.. Loved Whiz, but we never go that out of him… but he took us bowling, so…

Rowe showed up a lot on film

18. By joe holst on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

David Carter is surprising .He caused the fumble last night that Tony Jefferson scooped up . No need for a #3 QB . I think they have a number #1 Cornerback in Peterson then the rest are really all #3’s. Powers and Caison look shaky. Not really sold on Todd Bowles at this point.

19. By Cactus jeff on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Needs are 2 TEs and 1 DT. Cuts come from the 5 TEs.

20. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

With so many OLBs on this roster, I know this will sound a little crazy, but I believe the cards should look into a trade for the bengals Dontay Moch.

The bengals (who run a 4-3) have Moch playing out of position (3-4 OLB).
    Moch had 3 sacks over preseason and could be a nice addition,

I am not sure what the bengals want, but it cant be much. Bring Moch in and keep 5 OLBs (Abraham, Okafer, Alexander, and Acho along with Moch)

I would also be interested in Antonio Garay who was released. You know I am not happy with the starters on dline. Garay would be someone to help stop the run, which seems to be an issue.

21. By cardsalltheway on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

Earl Watford

He should get the ball at the goal line, our new part time fullback!

22. By ored on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

me thinks we’ll be seeing some of those faces in different uniforms,sometimes new scenery brings a better fit,good thing that works both ways also.

23. By Dr. G. on Aug 30, 2013 | Reply

FIGURES DON’T LIE….

I’ve never done this before, but I am still analyzing what makes Keim and Arians tick. Check this out: The average NFL experience for the starters on DEFENSE is 6.6 years… The average for the 2nd team is 3.3 years… Without Rucker, the average would be 2.3+ years of experience for the 2nd team. This tells me a lot about how to win now and build a team for the future… Interesting, huh? The offense has an even more dramatic difference in NFL experience from 1st to 2nd strings. Arians and Keim are confident of the many rookies on this team… Darren, you have noted numerous times about the draft picks making the team… Great MGMT/Scouting!! G’day… Cram the Rams!!!…..

24. By jason on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

Hawkins was too small and got pounded alot. I do not think he could last a season with his size and weight. Walker was a hard worker but never too flashy. he was just serviceable. Hope they cut Cason…Guy is a slacker and not very talented. No ints, and receivers get behind him a lot. Plus he was a Wildcat boooo!

25. By C.M PUNK on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

im saying this now watford might be just as good as cooper if he plays this year kid is a stud..

26. By jasonc on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

What are you thoughts on Ronnell Lewis? He was cut by Detroit and was a fourth round pick last year. He was undersized to play DE in the Lions 3-4 but I remember liking him going into the draft.

27. By monzz on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

Beth in regards to Lindley, he looked good against the Broncos second and third stringers, not sure if he could play that good against their starters. Playing in preseason is comparable to playing against your own defense in practice, most of the defenders playing against Lindley probably are being cut or won’t see any playing time (as Lindley won’t) Why not use that position for someone who can contribute during the year rather than having Lindley sitting on the bench on the inactive list for all sixteen games?

28. By nodavis2000 on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I know that since your job is to follow the team and those cut are “no longer” on the team, but is there some way to know or find out if one of our cuts gets picked up by another team??? Thanks!

Great stories for the preseason! Can’t wait for the action to begin on Sundays!

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

nodavis —

RE: Other players

If I see something I usually point it out on Twitter or the blog.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

Lewis should be an OLB but not sold on him to be that edge rusher.I think he might fit better in a 4-3 defense as a SAM LB. Not sure if he has that first step burst. He can play the run though. He could be Clark Haggins. 4-6 sacks and solid run in a 3-4. But Von Miller he is not.

Moch on the other hand is just that. A quick twitch edge rusher, trying to play DE in a 4-3. Too small at point of attack. But get him on the edge and stand him up, he could produce some sacks. Worth a look.

31. By Cardsgirl on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

Isn’t it past time for the final cuts and other moves to be announced?

32. By John The Draft Guy on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

Moch has been cut. At least kick the tires on him. Jermaine Cunningham, a former 2nd rounder, is another guy to at least look at his film.

Ryan Lilja at center has a lot of starts under his belt and could be a nice back up at center. Not sure if he can swing to guard. But you have to consider him.

Antonio Garay is a 100 years old but can hold the middle against double teams. Something our current dline cant do. The issue is Talley can swing to NT or end and they could go with just 5 dlineman. That would make you have to decide on Williams fate. If Williams can get the job done at NT, no need for Garay. But Im not sold on it.

33. By sara on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

I guess BA don’t look at number, if he did Charles Hawkins stats speak for them self. This was a big mistake Cards made on cutting this young man, This young man has a different skill set and BA didn’t know what to do with him, Charles Hawkins is good and we only saw the begin of how great he will become.——OUR LOST

34. By syncro9z on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

Arians puts things in perspective. His take no crap “old school mentality isexactly hwat this team needed. I feel we are keeping the best players from camp regardless of tenure. I wish Walker the best, dude played his hear out while here.
    Any idea of honeybadger will start on sunday?

35. By carlo milano on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

why tony jefferson should move if a player is picked..mcann,fleming ,sperry,demens, dray and gibson are probably the players picked before jefferson

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

syncro —

RE: Mathieu

I do not expect him to start.

37. By jasonc on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

You’re right…I just love to watch Ronnell Lewis highlight reels on youtube….that dude lays the wood! Moch had better production in college and I think he had some crazy fast 40 time. It just seems that Bowels likes his OLB’s bigger and Moch is like 6′ 240ish, only Alexander is comparable to that size. I’m all for taking a look if he can pressure the QB but I’m not sure if OLB is a position we’re looking at.

I read that Lilja tried to give it a go for Manning but his knee just wasn’t right. I think if he was healthy he’d still be in Denver because he only came out of retirement for Manning. Fernando Velasco was cut by the Titans and he started 16 games last year at both center and guard. I think that Ben Ijalana who was released by the Colts might be interesting. He has had bad luck staying healthy his first 2 seasons with that knee but he had some good reviews that he looked strong this pre-season and he was a 2nd round draft pick.

I just don’t know who we need!?! I only saw the first 2 preseason games so I thought our pass protection and offense was coming along. Apparently, Levi Brown had a terrible game against San Diego. Arians is just so confident and he makes you feel that any problems we see in preseason aren’t really problems because they are going to game plan and scheme to assist the pass protection, pass rush and coverages. I

I guess I’ll be eagerly waiting to see what Keim thinks we need.

38. By ored on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

ba is’nt one to think the negative side of things,once he’s seen a players ability he expects him to play that way going forward and levi has shown he can play well,he just needs to bring that every game.admirable trait to have enough faith in someone to believe they can always be their best,guess that’s part of what makes him special.

i know it’s a hard game,but it has to be tough to coach these guys,get their respect and then choose who to keep.for sure they’re deserving of the money and celebrity that goes hand in hand,especially knowing what they face 20 or 30 yrs down the road.

39. By samir on Aug 31, 2013 | Reply

Adrian Wilson is on IR just heard. If you get any updates on him could you please tell us. I do not care if he plays for another team,he will always be my favorite Cardinal. Im sure all of us here wish him a speedy recovery as well.

40. By D on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

There are two players from other teams that AZ should look at. First, a DT that was released from the Steelers, a true NT, he has had some off the field issues to be looked into but he could be a nice back up to D. Williams. The other player is TE DJ Williams from GB. He will have many teams interested but I think he could be the starter here opposite of Rob H.

41. By Darren Urban on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Samir —

RE: Adrian

Don’t know anything beyond IR. I don’t know if he really was hurt or if they were just trying to spare him the ignominy of being cut.

42. By Big Ken on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

I’m still thinking Ryan Williams gets traded, just a feeling. San Diego maybe?

43. By Scott H on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Well, the loss of Cooper is about the worst thing that could have happened to this O-line, which was already trying to become something other than one of the worst lines in the league. Ugh. Cooper was THE building block of this line which – with the other young guys from last year – had a real opportunity to start coming together and laying down some roots.

Now? The in-evitable shuffling of players, which almost always results in guys being shifted to something other than their “natural” positions and someone moving up from the depth chart who WAS where he was on the depth chart for a reason. One more time – ugh. When you lose your first round pick to IR, it’s like your first round pick never happened. Like the suspension for Washington, this is a massive blow and one that really sucks.