Two waiver claims add offensive, defensive linemen

Posted by Darren Urban on September 1, 2013 – 2:00 pm

The Cardinals ended up with two linemen today awarded on waiver claims: tackle Bradley Sowell (late of the Colts) and defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu (cut by the Steelers). The corresponding cuts were linebacker Kenny Demens (who is practice squad eligible) and cornerback Bryan McCann (which takes the Cards down to six cornerbacks).

Bringing in a nose tackle-type like Ta’amu is no surprise. The Cards had been looking for one behind Dan Williams. Adding another offensive tackle is interesting, since the Cards already have four on the roster. You have to wonder if they check out Sowell, see if he fits their bill, and then choose between him and another (Nate Potter, perhaps?) Sowell had also been used sometimes to line up as a tight end with the Colts — I’m sure in jumbo packages — so there’s that aspect. He played 10 games last year for the Colts, so offensive coordinator/O-line coach Harold Goodwin and coach Bruce Arians are both very familiar with him.

The release of Ta’amu was notable in Pittsburgh. He was a fourth-round pick in 2012 who didn’t have much of a rookie season after being involved in an auto accident after which he was placed on probation. The Cardinals now have six defensive linemen and 10 offensive linemen.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Two waiver claims add offensive, defensive linemen”

1. By marc brock on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Was hoping for DT Marvin Austin but I trust Keim and BA…

2. By jasonc on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Ta’amu makes sense even though he has the DUI history. He is a legit NT and he came into the Steelers camp much lighter than he did for his rookie season which shows that he put in the work in the offseason. I had no clue who Sowell was but was interested to find out he played on the same line as Bobbie Massie (he was the LT for that Ole Miss team). He wasn’t highly rated coming out of college even though he played the “tougher” tackle position. Massie was rated as high as a 2nd rounder and after the East/West shrine game some people thought Sowelll would go undrafted (which he did). Sowell could take Potters place but I don’t see either guy on the game day active roster. If we keep 7 active OL you’d have the 5 starters and then Massie as the swing tackle, leaving your other spot for a guy who could play guard (Gibson or Watford). Seems like Ben Ijalana or Fernando Velasco would’ve made more sense unless they are confident with Watford as the back up guard.

3. By Cam on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Glad that Tony Jefferson is still around. Gut feeling that he’s going to be massive in a few years.

4. By Dr. G. on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Darren – I don’t know how and where you get some of your “quick” info, but thanks for posting on what should be a day off for you. Many fans are incredibly curious with all that has transpired with the new regime. We view this season with positive anticipation… Be well…

5. By shannon robinson on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

The front office were very deliberate in these latest moves. They made room for a defensive tackle and claimed Ta’amu. I always advocate for at least two Polynesians on the team. I repeat that the Cards were the first with Vai Sikehema and what he brought was courage first and a willingness to play on the wild side. I don’t know which Island Ta’amu is from but I can hardly wait to hear the whole story. I’ve coached many Polynesian men and women and I’ll say again that they are enormously strong and formidable to deal with (they grew up too close to the volcanoes). They populate the pro rugby world. Bryan McCann was a positive addition and proved to be a very competent corner in a very talented group. We may see Mr. McCann again as he’s now on our extended team – a good 5 year player. I noticed Demens showing up at a lot of stops – a real tough guy. You can see the practice squad shaping up. They also seem to be judicious on who they are bringing in from the Colts.

6. By D on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Well, I got one right Darren. If the DT can keep on the straight and narrow he could be a good run stuffer. (his best game in college at Washington was against ASU_ I think Potter is on the bubble, I just don’t think he has the strength to hold up in the NFL. I still think TE is the other area to address. I also question the backup Center because I believe D Colledge can play center in a pinch.

7. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

So, 27 of 53 are newbies… that figure balloons when you add likely practice squad members. Alrighty then … then’s play some football!!!!

8. By AzDesertRat1953 on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Bradley Sowell T, as a TE?!
    A Tackle / Tight End, well that’s getting two for one.

GO CARDS!!!

9. By james on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

Any quick or otherwise info on our practice squad? Most teams have posted the info. Wondering why the Cardinals haven’t. Thanks for all the hard work.

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 1, 2013 | Reply

James –

RE: PS

Coming Monday.

11. By Andy Kw on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    -FS Kerry Rhodes said that he was going to sign with a team yet I haven’t heard any news of him finding a job yet, so what is his status?
    -Is there any chance for RB Beanie Wells to make a comeback in the NFL?

12. By Andy Kw on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

I am glad to say that my favorite undrafted rookie from the 2013 NFL Draft S Tony Jefferson has made it onto the Arizona Cardinal’s 53 man roster. I was hopeful from the beginning and so grateful for you at the end. Who didn’t have a gut feeling that he would make the team and that he would perform well in the preseason?

13. By NJAzCardsFan on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren- Have any of the Cards players that were cut in the final paredown picked up on waiver by other teams???

14. By Terry E on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

I think Potter has some potential. It seemed to me last year the O-line did improve (not saying much) only when in desperation they played Potter. He may not be a starter but might be and at least make the roster. If not then that tells you we have improved significantly.

15. By Kevin S on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Just saw Skelton got waived as part of the Bengals’ final cuts.

16. By cardsalltheway on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Still Steeler Wannbee’s and common sense tells you the better ratio would be 9/7 not 10/6. Do we have any? We’ll see.

Okay, so our 32 team scouts aren’t as good as Arians, check! How do you feel now scouts?

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Questions

1) Rhodes is unsigned
    2) Not sure anyone will take a chance on his knees.

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

NJAz –

RE: Cuts

Reggie Walker signed with SD is the only one I’ve seen.

19. By shane on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

When will the captains be named ?

20. By Steve on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Kerry Rhodes is a good football player but I wouldn’t be surprised if the rumors that he is gay or bisexual are causing NFL front offices to steer clear of him. Hope to see him playing somewhere.

21. By Cardsgirl on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Why wait til Monday? the Cards are the ONLY team with no players listed on the practice squad on NFL.com.

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Shane –

RE: Captains

Sometime this week.

23. By Eazy E on Sep 7, 2013 | Reply

I mean why wouldn’t you believe Kerry at his word, the man said he ain’t. Rumors are just rumors. Like Lil’ Wayne said, ”Rumors are as dumb as the people that believe them”, I could understand wholeheartedly why a team would be very hesitant to sign him if he was gay, but he said he ain’t, let’s go with that and move forward.