The Cardinals ran the longest, hardest Labor Day practice I can remember them having. Normally it’s a refresher, let’s-get-into-regular-season-mode-a-little kind of a work. But in this “bonus” practice, coach Bruce Arians said, the Cardinals ran a regular “Wednesday” practice in preparation for the Rams. And they did it outside, with the weather not terribly hot (at least when they were on the field.)
“Normal Mondays we don’t practice — we watch tape and work out a little bit, get the game soreness out, then come back on Wednesday,” Arians said. “So, this was a normal Wednesday. Our bonus Monday was like an extra Wednesday.”
– Tight end Rob Housler (ankle) and running back Rashard Mendenhall (ankle) were the only players not practicing. Housler remains day-to-day, Arians said and he said Mendenhall — who was wearing a brace — can play Sunday. “I did not let him go today, but he’s more than ready,” Arians said. “And Ryan (Williams) is full speed, so we’re fully healthy at running back.”
– Arians said he expects the whole practice squad filled out by Wednesday. There are three open positions.
– Arians called newly claimed Bradley Sowell an “excellent young tackle prospect.” Defensive tackle Alameda Ta’amu would have stayed in Pittsburgh, Arians said, if it hadn’t been for a numbers game.
– Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was at practice but had to leave a little bit early to catch a flight back to Pittsburgh. His Pitt Panthers number 1 is being retired tonight at halftime of the Florida State-Pittsburgh game.
– Practices, now, are officially closed after it is open for special teams and individual drills (for those looking for practice info). The depth chart — for instance, where all the running backs fall in the pecking order — is due out tomorrow.
– Also tomorrow: A return to the Cardinals Underground podcast (posted late afternoon), and the beginning of weekly Tuesday chats with myself. Tomorrow’s version will be at 2 p.m., although we will go 1 p.m. normally. The season is upon us.
Tags: Alameda Ta'amu, Bradley Sowell, Larry Fitzgerald, practice, Rashard Mendenhall, Rob Housler
Posted in Blog | 18 Comments »