Moch highlights practice squad

Posted by Darren Urban on September 2, 2013 – 11:04 am

The Cardinals have picked five of their possible eight practice-squad players, including pass rusher Dontay Moch — an intriguing prospect and former third-round pick who has been limited to one regular season game in two seasons because of migraines, a broken foot and a four-game suspension for violating the league’s performance-enhancing drugs policy. Moch would be a linebacker in the Cards’ scheme. He’s had 6.5 sacks the past two preseasons, so he has flashed. It makes sense as practice squad potential.

The Cardinals also brought back both their Taylors from the preseason roster — wide receiver Kerry and safety Curtis — to the practice squad, as well as linebacker Kenny Rowe. Rowe, like Moch, is part of the Cards’ perpetual quest to find edge rushers.

The other spot went to center/guard Philip Blake, recently cut by Denver.

There are still three practice squad spots left. One could go to linebacker Kenny Demens, cut yesterday by the team. Tackle Jamaal Johnson-Webb, cut by the Cards, ended up on the Bears’ practice squad.

Tags: , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Moch highlights practice squad”

1. By jasonc on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Huge fan of the Moch and Blake signings!

2. By samir on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Is King on the designated to return IR, I read that he was but different sites are saying different things can you clarify please?

3. By NJAzCardsFan on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren- I am suprised Hawkins wasn’t on the PS… He seemed to make some nice catches and was used alot in the pre-season games..??

Will Washington’s legal troubles draw further suspension time from the league or is that more of a personnel issue between him and the Cards Front Office, if he is found guilty…???

4. By Steve on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren: How do teams protect certain players on their practice squads that they want to keep from being grabbed by another team? If say a team during the season is short on pass rushers and looks to take Dontay Moch off of the Cards practice squad and put him on their own 53 man squad can the Cards do anything to prevent even if they dont want to promote Moch themselves?

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Samir —

RE: King

Comon Samir, why would look anywhere but here?

He is not on the return-IR list.

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Washington

Let’s see that play out legally first. How it goes from there is TBD.

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Protecting

Nope. That’s pretty much it. You can promote the guy yourself, and that happens often to make sure he doesn’t leave. But other than that, there aren’t other options.

8. By Andy Kw on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Will WR Charles Hawkins make it to the practice squad?

9. By Andy Kw on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

I love our practice squad so far. S Curtis Taylor showed some promise in practices, WR Kerry Taylor showed flashes of stardom, and Donte Moch was just amazing in the preseason so i’m glad we snatched him from Cincinnati. Kenny Rowe and Philip Blake are okay

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Hawkins

I do not think so.

11. By Espy Garcia on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Did Hawkins get picked up by anyone.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

well you know I love the signing of Moch. just too much talent not to check out.

13. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Too bad there are card fans who do not like the Moch signing since they gave me thumbs down when I suggested it.

14. By jasonc on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I knew you’d be happy! Maybe fans were thumbs down because you mentioned the dreaded ‘trade’ word? With or without popular opinion you seem to be right more often than you are wrong. I looked up Moch’s combine 40 time because I remember it being really fast and it was 4.44…that’s pretty freaking good. What are your thoughts on Blake? I have no idea what became of him in Denver and it seems to not bode well that he played center in college and Denver lost their center and he still didn’t make the team, but I remember liking him during pre-draft talk. Also, what about Sowell? I know Arians said he is a good tackle prospect….but, Arians has also said that Levi is elite so I’m not sure I like his tackle assessments. I’m really excited for the season but I’m trying to temper my expectations. I know we are going to way more enjoyable to watch and my hope is that we win more than we lose and possibly sneak into the playoffs….but, we were historically bad offensively last year and we have so many changes both offensively, defensively and personnel wise (plus the dreaded schedule) that it seems like we’d improve drastically as a team and still not have a great record.

15. By Miamiredbird on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

WR Hawkins didnt make it back to the practice squad ? Unreal……

16. By Dr. G. on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Very happy to see Kerry Taylor in striking distance on the PS. If the Cards have an injury etc…, this guy could be valuable. He is victim to a good WR core.

For those of you who like to follow transactions try this link:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/transactions Seems somewhat current.

Brady Quinn to the Jets… still reeling at QB!!! Aaaahh, the lovable Jets!!
    Chargers sign Reggie Walker…

Cards Mgmt Team/BA – Great job assembling this team…Be proud of the hard work…

17. By Patrick Hoog aka DTL on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Was Padric Scott a headfake or did our huge Samoan negate?

18. By Dr. G. on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren, These quotes are from a (reliable?) source. I have not verified… This stuff must be in the NFL Rules Book somewhere.

1. “Games in which a player is listed as the third-string quarterback do not count as being on the active list.”

(Note: Is there really a 54-man roster?)

2. “Practice squad players are free agents; they can be signed to any team’s 53-man roster at any time during the season. In other words, NFL teams are free to “poach” other teams’ practice squads without compensating the teams.”

(Note: so if another team wants to sign a PS player, does the current team have 1st rights?) …. Thank you…

19. By Richard S. on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

I liked Hawkins too in pre-season games, but read somewhere that Stump Mitchell who was a big Hawkins fan said that his problem was he had trouble knowing where he was supposed to line up. Maybe that could be cured on the Practice Squad. He sure had good hands and speed.

20. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

I dont know much about Blake. For Sowell, I think you summed his history up on another blog really well.

OK, you want to go out on a huge limb. I would look at this trade but will be in the minority.
    The Raiders have Menelik Watson starting at LT due to Veldheer’s injury. The raiders love Watson and Veldheer is in the last year of his contract. Veldheer will return around week 8, around the time the raiders hit 0-8.

I would look to move a second round pick and maybe a player for Veldheer. We would finally have that LT we need to take over from Brown. Heck, if both sides want to wait till the end of the trading deadline, the player could be brown. Brown could be a nice RT for them and of course, we would have potter/Sowell for a couple weeks till Veldheer took over.

Just a thought.

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 2, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Practice squad

1) There is a 53-man roster. Seven players are inactive. Usually, a third QB is left inactive. I do not know of that loophole, but I am not sure.

2) Most of the time, a player/agent are going to stay with the team a guy is already with if, upon finding out another team wants to sign them, the original team wants to instead promote him itself. But I do not believe there is any rule of first refusal.

22. By jasonc on Sep 3, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

Here is why I don’t see that happening. If we are having a good season it is probably going to be because our line is playing well and therefore we wouldn’t have the need to make such a trade. If we are having a poor season we will have a high draft pick and with the number of tackles in this draft it would make more sense financially to draft a new LT rather than pay Veldheer. Finally, If Watson does play well enough for them to cut ties with Veldheer then he would possibly be available in free agency and we wouldn’t have to lose a 2nd round pick. My hope is that we are playing well, winning games and making huge noise in the NFC West!

23. By red sara on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren –the number dont lie, Hawkins show how great he will become, our lost, this is one I DON’T UNDERSTAND

24. By Eazy E on Sep 7, 2013 | Reply

The only thing I know and remember about Moch is his name and that he is super fast, like 4.4 or 4.5 fast, but can he play is the million dollar question?

2. Sep 2, 2013: Cardinals Blogs | Back on the field for Cards