Dansby wanted Abraham comfortable by the numbers

Posted by Darren Urban on September 4, 2013 – 4:01 pm

The Cardinals had a handful of veterans change their jersey numbers with the regular season upon us. Safety Rashad Johnson, for instance, decided to dump the No. 49 he had worn since being drafted in 2009 for No. 26. Johnson figured that, with a new staff, a new contract signed in the spring and a new haircut (he shaved off his dreadlocks this offseason), a new number made sense.

But 26 was open to Johnson after final cuts. Linebacker John Abraham didn’t have that option with the No. 55 being worn by Karlos Dansby (who, coincidentally, couldn’t get back his original No. 58 when he returned to the Cards because Daryl Washington had it.) Abraham had been stuck with No. 53, but that didn’t stop him from eyeing Dansby’s 55 (seen below).

“It’s just something I feel I made my name out of,” Abraham said. “I’ve worn different numbers. I wore 94 before. But getting 55, like I said, I felt like I had success with it and I thought it was a good thing for me.”

Dansby, who had worn 58 his whole pro career before this season, certainly wasn’t wedded to 55. He said he didn’t have a problem giving it up.

“I just want the guys around me comfortable, man,” Dansby said. “Got to play at a high level as a team. I know that’d make him comfortable, wearing that 55. He’s new around here and I wanted to make his stay as comfortable as possible.”

Normally, of course, such a swap among high-priced vets would mean a price Abraham would have to pay. Dansby, though, said that wasn’t the case. “The only way he can make me comfortable is get a sack every game,” Dansby said. “If he gets a sack every game, I’m cool. That’s what he owes me.”

Abraham said from the time he arrived in Arizona, he was making noise he’d like to get 55 back. “I don’t know if it was a month-long process or not,” Abraham said, smile creeping over his face. “But dammit, it worked.

Dansby, meanwhile, took the No. 56 that had been worn by Reggie Walker before Walker was cut.

“(Number) 56 looks good too,” Dansby said with a laugh. “Know what I’m saying?”

LOSuse

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Dansby wanted Abraham comfortable by the numbers”

1. By Mark Moreno on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

I’m Ready For Some Football!!! Go Cardinal’s!!

2. By tom on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

darren didnt rashad johnson wear number 41 for a while then switched to 49?

3. By Dynosoar on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

John Abraham,

pay the man and add in some interest.

4. By cardsalltheway on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

Dansby should get 58. Players who break the rules(D. Washington) and get suspended for 4 games should lose their number to any player that wants it.

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

Tom –

RE: Rashad

Good memory. Yes. I think he might have changed after his first offseason.

6. By scott023 on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

Karlos, you are a class act. You also are the dirty bird. I can’t wait to see the wings flying. Go Cards !!!

7. By Dynosoar on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

mark c,

welcome aboard!

I’m a Vols fan, but I’ll take these LSU players all day long.

8. By andystandsup on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

And I believe former Cardinal Adrian Wilson changed his number in training camp a few times.
    Weird how you get attached to a number. For me, it was 4 until Kolb wore it.

9. By AzDesertRat1953 on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

Karlos you have put the Man on the hot-seat.
    16 sacks at least, Oh My!
    Are you going to give him a pass if he gets more than one, say three, in one game?

This is going to be a Fun season!

cardsalltheway, I think you have a good, valid point. Heck, that could carry more weight than just taking some money.

GO CARDS!!!

10. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

Cardsalltheway get over it. It’s Washington’s number. Dansby had it and chose to go to Miami for the money. I would have too. Its only a number and Dansby has been too cool about it. 56 will look great on Dansby. If Washington wanted to give up the number that would have been cool also, but its his choice and you have to respect that. Breaking the rules has nothing to do with it. Not saying Washington is right, but give the man a break. He has owned up to his mistakes and is paying for them. Both with the suspension and the upcoming court appearances. As long as they all play together as a team and play well, it doesn’t matter what number they have on their jersey, What matters is they are all wearing the same jersey that represents the Cardinals and they are playing well together as a team. When Washington gets back and can join the LB group, it only will make us better. No lets kick some Rams butt !!!!!

11. By Dr. G. on Sep 4, 2013 | Reply

DWash has played well enough to keep his number, but it is a shame that he has fallen victim (by choice) to the myriad warnings and lectures from the NFL staff about PED’s and all the little trapping snappers who will be happy to make your life miserable while taking your money. Wouldn’t it be just swell if the rookies would put off hookin’ up for a few years and then get a good wife and have children… in that order. A little wisdom may just kick in. I know… off topic a little, but someone alluded to his suspension…I am disappointed that he can’t play. And anything bad could happen if he is charged with something bad…. Be well….

12. By ored on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

like the way dansby thinking,on the field numbers are what’s important re: sacks,tackles,turnovers,1st downs,points,etc.also liking what BA is saying about a good lockerroom,players that care about each other and want the best for them and team,making it real easy to get excited for this season,

13. By xBIGxMx on Sep 8, 2013 | Reply

wow, Los you are the man!! now that we’re all comfortable with our number let’s beat the Rams today!! Go cards!!!!!!!

14. By Eazy E on Sep 12, 2013 | Reply

Cool gesture. Cool Guy.. Great player…

2. Apr 25, 2014: The Official Website of Antonio Cromartie
  3. Apr 25, 2014: Antonio Cromartie gets his 31; Justin Bethel to wear 28 | time2sports.com