Dockett: Captain, yes. Role model? Not so much

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2013 – 3:46 pm

The Cardinals named their captains yesterday and the names were not a surprise. Defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, after a year off, was voted to be one again for the fourth time in his career (he was also captain from 2009-11). Dockett just wanted to clarify that honor (check the video below about the 2:10 mark.)

“I told my coach, ‘I’m a captain, not a role model,’ ” Dockett said. “He said, ‘You don’t have to be a role model. I want you to do what you’ve been doing, coming to work every day, leading the team, set a high tempo, never missing days, working hard, staying after practice.’ Understanding this is my 10th year, I want to get to the playoffs. I don’t have time to wait around, saying we can be good next year if this guy develops.

“(Being a captain) is an honor. I’m thankful for my teammates looking at me in that nature. I will do the best I can to lead but again, I’m not a role model. I don’t want anybody to think I’m a role model. I want to be the best leader I can possibly be on the field and off. But I’m still going to do Dockett every now and then.”

In case you were wondering, defensive coordinator Todd Bowles said he was fine with the work Dockett and defensive end Calais Campbell did in camp and the preseason.

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “Dockett: Captain, yes. Role model? Not so much”

1. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Will there by any Cardinals Underground pod casts this year?

2. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Underground

Already is one. Be sure to bookmark the page. They will post every Tuesday.

3. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Awesome!!! Mahalo!

4. By david on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Football is here! Happy we dont have to hear the wanna be john madden call our games.

5. By Jerry on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Docket is going to make this defense rank #1 that’s all I can say and Captain Fitz/Palmer are taking this offense to the playoffs

6. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Dockett, Dansby and Fitz together again.
    These three want to get back to the SB Bad.

I would say they see that chance has better odds than Ever before.

GO CARDS!!!

7. By Colton on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

anyone else notice the random $100 bill in dockett’s locker lol.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

What did any of that mean??
    Ive read it a couple times and it makes no sense.

So you do these things and others see and copy you. So you are setting a model for others to follow by doing this. Thus, role model.

You dont separate the two. I also hate to tell you this, but if guys watch how you do things and follow you on the field , they will be watching your off the field behavior also.
    Sorry, I am not following. Leader = Role Model

9. By Dynosoar on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

johnnybluenose,

Yes that’s when I was born. I’ve been a huge fan of dinosaurs since I was probably three (as far back as I have any real memories, I can remember dinosaur toys from back then.)

There’s significance in the spelling, the part that would have meaning to others is the second part, “soar.” I get to see hawks and sometimes eagles soaring almost every day where I live and work. I’ve been involved in Scouting for many years and believe in the Eagle Scout program for training young men in leadership.

So the soar is all about becoming something greater than I already am and through who I am and how I improve helping others soar as well.

It also has to do with our Cardinals, I want to see our team soar above the rest. Dynosoar is not really about my age (although I feel it some days more than others), rather about who I can become and about how I see our team…

Soaring!

(Also, our team is the oldest professional US football team. We are the only founding member of the NFL left, Green Bay and Chicago even joined the NFL after us. So were the dinosaurs of the league, we need to be more like the T-Rexes of the league.)

Sorry this was so long, hope it answers the question.

To all, let’s enjoy soaring over the Rams, I’m hoping to see the ball soar from Palmer and into the endzone time and time again this Sunday.

10. By Dynosoar on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

I’m fine with what Dockett and Calais did in pre-season. I don’t want to see either injured and other teams already have enough film on them through the years, I don’t see any reason to show them film of what they’ll do under Bowles as well.

With that said, I want to see them up the havoc level beginning this Sunday and continue through the end. The end for me is not the playoffs (sorry Darnell), it’s a ring in New York this year and a second next year with a home field advantage.

I’m with Dockett when he says he doesn’t want to “wait” until next year when we “develop,” let’s do it this year and next.

Go Cards!

11. By PCF on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

Great mindset DD!!!

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

Colton —

RE: $100

Believe it or not, it actually wasn’t random. Patrick Peterson came up and gave it to him in the middle of the interview session, right before the video started.

13. By ored on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

you and a few others were born for sundays,that is when you shine brightest,glad all the other stuff is over,now you can do what you do best,dominate and intimidate…hope you have a monster game.

14. By red bird of death! on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

Yeah where’s the underground been ? I like the new video ones. Last year was painful week to week during our winning drought, very painful indeed.