• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

OK — Honey Badger sticking around

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2013 – 9:37 am

The theory was sound. Tyrann Mathieu had troubles in his life, troubles he wanted to leave behind, and those issues had come about while living the life of a college superstar everyone called “Honey Badger.” So to move on, Mathieu and his supporters figured, it made sense to move on past the Honey Badger nickname too.

Flash forward these many months, long now after the Cardinals made Mathieu their third-round pick, long after there was trepidation whether a team should take a chance on him. Mathieu has had a trouble-free turn as a pro thus far, has made a ton of plays through training camp, and has national writers picking him to be defensive rookie of the year. All along, he’s still pretty much been the Honey Badger. And by now, Mathieu just shrugs his shoulders and accepts it.

“I tried to come out and say I don’t want to be called that, but people don’t care,” Mathieu said. “People don’t care. They’re going to call you whatever they want to call you. I don’t want to fight it. I’d rather just embrace the situation. Hopefully this go-around will be a lot different than last time.”

Leaving the nickname behind made sense to Mathieu. It didn’t work. He’s going to be Honey Badger. “People are tough, man,” Mathieu said, smiling and shaking his head.

BadgerBlogUSE

Tags:

22 Responses to “OK — Honey Badger sticking around”

1. By Cards4Ever on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

He got that nickname because of his play on the field not what he did in the streets. It’s still fitting because he still plays like “The Honey Badger”

Not sure if he’ll have enough plays to compete for DROY, but it’s going to be fun to watch!

2. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Stick with it young Man, it is you, you are the “Honey Badger” they can not take that away from you, no one can, except YOU!

GO CARDS!!!

3. By monzz on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

You will always be the “Honey Badger” I am looking forward to watching you play against megatron for our home opener on September 15, you will become a superstar in the NFL. Please take that as a bold prediction One more prediction being i am at that -the cardinals will lead the NFL in takeaways they may not have the best defensive unit in stopping the run or passes but at the end of the day the defense is going to put the ball in Palmers hands to let him work his magic.

4. By jasonc on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Honey Badger don’t care!

5. By Rugbymuffin on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Stopped calling him that the minute he asked for people to do so.

Will continue to do so until he is “OK” with it.

6. By Dynosoar on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

To all, last year on Oct. 3rd before the Rams game I posted why I’d become a Cardinals fan. There were 27 responses. Since it’s before the Rams game again and since Tyrann seems he’s a solid Cardinals fan, I felt the time is right to post this again and since Cobra gave permission to re-post, here goes.

Darren, perhaps we could make this an annual event.

7. By Dynosoar on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

When I was eight, my father showed me all the NFL helmets and I chose the Cardinals, my dad says I liked “the pretty red bird.” (I almost chose the cool lightning bolt, glad I didn’t do that.) I’ve been a fan since ’77 and they’re my #1 sports team.

(My second team is obviously anyone playing the Cowboys.)

Why are ya’ll Cardinals fans?

8. By beardinals on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Honey Badger Don’t Care!!

Who will be the first to bring that sign to a game?

9. By cdj on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

@Dynosoar

When i was younger i used to feed birds in the early morning, just go outside, grab some bird seed, and sit still and let the birds eat form my hand. The one bird i could never get to eat off my hand was the Cardinal, so i sort of became infatuated with it. When i started getting into football, when i saw that there was a team known as the Cardinals, i immediately made them my favorite team. So i am a cardinals fan, living in Northern New York.

10. By cards4sb on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

My step father moved in from Rockford llnois in 1984. His dad was a huge Bear fan ( still is ) and he told me about the time he was at the game in Wrigley Feild when Gayle Sares had his six touchdown game!! I was 11. I became a Bear fan on that day. In 1988 when the St. Louis Cardinals became the Phoenix Cardinals I became a fan of my hometown team hoping to have a story or two to tell also someday. 25 yrs later I am stronger than ever as a faithful cards fan, with a couple of stories to tell my kids and grandkids!!

GO CARDS!!!!!!!

11. By JOSEPH RATTI on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

I became a Cardinals fan back in the 1960′s.We had just got our first color TV. I was around 8 years old.It was a Saturday afternoon game,old Central Division I believe.The St.Louis Cardinals were playing the Cleveland Browns in Cleveland.It was a bitter cold winter day in Cleveland and snowing quite hard when the camera zoomed in on old # 8 Larry Wilson standing there hands on hips in that all white glorious uniform,snow coming down,and that Red Cardinal on that all white helmut.Being all of 8 I thought that was the coolest thing I ever saw(wish they would get the original bird back) snow coming down,all white uniform,the good old days.I’ve been a fan ever since.Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. By cards4sb on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Just to clarify, i was 11 in 1984. LOL.

13. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

It was my Dad, he loved the St L Cards.
    Every Sunday afternoon, Ritz crackers, Blue cheese and Hamm’s or Blue Ribon Beer. I of course had a Small glass but all the Ritz and Blue cheese I could eat.
    He passed on two years before the Cards came to AZ!

Good times though.

GO CARDS!!!

14. By warnerHOF on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

If the nickname honey badger has bad memories for Mr. Mathieu and he has made it clear that he doesn’t want to be called that anymore, why would we? We are part of his football family, it seems only reasonable that we his fans and his sports writer would show him the respect he deserves by NEVER calling him that again.

15. By C.M PUNK on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

just read a article on azcentral were the honey badger is friends with Aeneas Williams darren we need these articles from you……………

16. By johnnybluenose on Sep 5, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar. i answered this last year and i won’t repeat myself. but, are you implying that you were born in 1969 and, if you were, why do you refer to yourself as “Dynosoar”??

17. By Lifetime Fan on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

@dyno – cardinals moved to AZ the same year I was born there. My dad had season tickets and I have been going to games since I was 2.

18. By joe67 on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

I live closer to ST. Louis than Chicago, but Bear country for sure. All my buddies like the Bears when I was about 8-9, but I never did. Liked the Cards, and then when they moved to St. Louis, that was the clincher. Ended up with season tix for about the last 7 years they were in Stl and just stuck with them when they moved. A few tuff years to be a fan with no coverage, but thanx to DirectTV I can and have watched every game the last sveral years (whenever it became available). Sure hope we beat the Rams. They are still the L A Rams in my mind.

19. By DiegoMichaels on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

Im from Colombia, South America. When I was about 10 years old I moved to South Florida.In a family event I meet an older cousin who was a cheerleader for the Cardinals. I had no clue what football was so I decided to give it a chance and started loving the sport. I use to watch the cardinals on t.v hoping that maybe I would see my cousin which I funny because 10 years later I have no clue where she is and I am crazy about the Cardinals. I will definitely be driving 8 hours to Jacksonville to watch them play this season.

20. By Sean44 on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

Sometimes Eyebrows don’t grow back at all after a shaving.

21. By rod on Sep 6, 2013 | Reply

TM32, no matter what you are called I’m pulling for you man !!

Stay clean and kick ass !!

22. By Eazy E on Sep 12, 2013 | Reply

His defensive coordinator John Chavis at LSU I believe gave him that nickname after showing him a video of a honey badger. It is a great nickname and apropos to him. He was given the nickname because of his amazing play on the field and the off the field was thrown in there unfairly. I mean let’s look forward on him improving. I mean synthetic marijuana is really bad but c’mon and they still ain’t passed it for many other states besides like Colorado and Washington but recreational marijuana should be allowed like the prescribed marijuana a doctor can prescribe but I’m getting off topic that is magnificent that he is improving himself.