A new left tackle backup

Posted by Darren Urban on September 10, 2013 – 11:05 am

The new depth chart revealed a new option on the left side with newcomer Bradley Sowell listed as Levi Brown’s backup. Sowell was on the right side last week, but he’s been flipped and Nate Potter now officially listed as the left guard backup to Daryn Colledge.

A lot of people have asked about Bobby Massie playing the left side, but he’s never done it. In college, in fact, Massie was also a right tackle at Ole Miss — because the left tackle was none other than Sowell. Sowell played in only six games as a rookie for the Colts (including the playoff game), and was right tackle in all but one, in which he played left guard. In college, however, he started 36 of his final 37 games at left tackle.

None of this means Sowell is on the verge of starting or taking Levi Brown’s place. Bruce Arians sounded pretty sure the last couple of days that there was no plan on changing out Brown now. But the Cards will probably get Sowell work there like Potter is working at guard, and we will see what happens — both with Sowell’s development and Brown’s play on the field.

– The running back depth chart was officially changed too, and Ryan Williams — as how it played out in the opener — is indeed listed fifth, behind Rashard Mendenhall, Alfonso Smith, Stepfan Taylor and then Andre Ellington (even though Ellington got eight offensive snaps and Taylor none against the Rams.)

– Speaking of the offensive line, I caught up with Jonathan Cooper. He isn’t worried about being a rookie again next year when he returns from his broken leg, because of his confidence gained from playing in the preseason.

Tags: , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “A new left tackle backup”

1. By job on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

I’ve always been a huge fan of Jay feely especially after he scored 20pts that one game. This year it looks like his leg just isn’t what it used to be, next year I think it’s time to draft a new kicker or pick one up, never thought I’d say this.

Boby Massie said he got better by studying his opponents every day on tape. I think Levi Brown should try the same thing because his answer to improving was ” I need to practice with more pass rushers after practice”. Don’t just rely on technique and practice Levi this is the NFL.

2. By Dynosoar on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Cooper’s broken leg hurt (couldn’t resist the pun.)

There are two teams that allowed 6 sacks Sunday, two that allowed 5 and four that allowed 4 sacks. Ravens Colts and Dolphins also gave up 4 sacks.

Our defense is ranked 16, the Browns at 25. That’s according to NFL Statistics under defense under category game stats. For what that’s worth.

Defense is 12 against the pass, 23 against the rush and 11 in scoring.

Offense is 10 in passing, 16 in rushing and 14 in scoring.

Stats are a great indicator, but only one stat matters. 0-1. Here’s to improving and scoring more than the Lions.

3. By Dynosoar on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

We were 3-1 in pre-season and while we’re 0-1, it was a three point game and so while I’m disappointed, I’m not despairing.

Other than the games against the Patriots and Eagles, the other two wins in that 4-0 start gave me more concern than our loss Sunday.

Looking forward to the Lions and seeing what we bring.

4. By Mike G on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren– Hope all is well! I think Sowell is a good pickup and provides depth for the line. You never can have too many lineman. An injury can occur at any time. Im
    hoping Levi will be fine on the left side. It is probably one of the two hardest positions to play on offense. People have to understand Levi missed all last year with that tri-cep injury and you have to account for some rust. His first game back on that turf in St Louis against Quinn is not an easy chore. Every team seems to have a whipping boy who takes the criticism when the team loses and Levi is that guy. It is unfair but that is what comes with the territory in the NFL when it comes to the fans. Unfortunately fans don’t remember how solid he was in 2008 playing RT in keeping Warner clean in the pocket and opening holes for Hightower and James. I do believe he is a good player but if by week 5-6 these problems re-occur
    in protection you have to look to improve that LT postion. Hey Darren–On a different topic were you surprised Stephan Taylor did not play against St Louis????? I was!!!!

5. By beardinals on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Cue the clamoring in 3, 2, 1…..

6. By chicago chuck on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Levi Brown wasn’t the only problem sunday, but how often have we heard, holding penalty, Levi Brown, False start penalty Levi Brown, missed block Levi Brown causes quarterback hurry, fumble or injury What does management see in him that I don’t. Are they afraid he could be the next Leonard Davis?

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Taylor

Not after Arians said Alfonso was No. 2.

8. By UK cards fan on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar –

The lions were 4-0 in preseason, the year they went 0-16. Wins/losses in preseason mean nothing.

9. By Johnny on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Levi got beat a few times by a very fast Quinn, this could have been avoided early by either bringing over a TE or using a RB to stay in and block or perhaps even 2 RB’s, use 1 as a decoy and the other to help Levi. our QB needs to do a little better job of reading the D. Getting a sack from the shotgun with the clock ticking away is unacceptable. 40 seconds, no time outs, you throw outside and upfield and husstle back to the line and kill the clock, every time. We needed 3 points. We are close to being a very good team, however, we need a little feeling of urgency and frankly I don’t care if we are up by 30 or down by 30, you hustle every play. The teams we play study film and know who hustles and who does not, who needs help and who does not. Levi should have gone back to the huddle and said,” I need some help here, this guy is killing me”. Done

10. By georgiebird on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

The Cardinals’ defense should take a cue from last night’s Chargers vs Texans game. As good as the Chargers’ defense played for the better part of the game, they couldn’t seal the deal.
    After all is said and done, the only way to judge a defense is to watch them play AND throw the stats away.
    For years the Chargers, like the Dolphins and the Cardinals have been known as a “soft” defense. Until the culture changes on these teams, opposing offenses will always feel that it’s just a matter of time before they catch up.
    When Lawrence Taylor was a rookie, the lousy Giants lost a very close exhibition game to the Steelers. Most of the Giants were happy that they could play such a close game with mighty Pittsburgh. But an unhappy Taylor said “I didn’t come here to lose”. And thus began the change in the Giants’ fortunes.

11. By Mike Thullner on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Biggest problems on the Cardinals vs the Rams were in my order of priority are Jay Feely, Levi Brown, Yeremiah Bell, Darnell Dockett. Feely has been inconsistent since 2010, making ones like the 61 yarder last year and then missing easy ones that end up costing us games anywhere from 30-49 yards out. We need a kicker who can make these consistently. Levi Brown can’t protect and never could, if they are worried about him being another Leonard Davis like stated somewhere in these comments, why wouldn’t they play him at guard? Davis was a guard forced to play out of position at LT and then when picked up by a team that played him in guard, he turned into a stud. Bell is terrible in coverage, and Dockett has been almost a non-factor since week 2 or 3 last season.

12. By Tbru on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

a lot of criticism for a guy who has missed 1 field on the season. Granted that is his main job, but I think Feely has earned the bennefit of a few doubts before the witch hunt starts.

13. By ored on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

i don’t think it’s a problem that alfonso is #2,what he lacks in straightline power,he makes up in heart and speed,he’s learning to follow the play to openings and not try and lead,he just needs a few plays to break for his speed to show.i also believe all our backs have different breakaway qualities once they get that sliver of daylight,there will always be a time and place to just pound the ball,but once they learn a little patience to let the big boys do the grunt work and then look for openings,then i think our running game will truly blossom.

levi just needs a refresher course and i believe after tape and the coaches show him,he will improve,if he gets back to pre injury form the prior year he’ll be ok,may not always be able to handle quinn 1 on 1,but a little help now and then won’t be bad,after all quinn is a dble digit sack guy so levi is not the only one who has problems with him,people need to remember we just played against a good defense with good sack numbers…we still put up 24 points,how many times last year would we have loved to do that?we’re not there yet but we improved alot from last year,and another year of coaching and keim sniffing out stud potential,we’ll be there sooner than later.quit hating,our guys are good guys and all of them working to improve,and as a team we have done that.levi could also benefit from cooper on that side,could be a dominant run option,that would slow down the pass rush if our backs could gash for 15-20 yds at a time,minnesota does alot with the ground presence,just need to break a long once every once in awhile.

one game in and i’m stoked,the potential is sky high,we stll have’nt begun to gel yet,well maybe just begun,but once we become TEAM,will be fun to be a fan and fun for them to be playas.

14. By Barry Bond on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

As Chris Berman ESPN would say “ah come on man”. I wish Arians would stop kidding around about Ryan Williams? He was our number 1 running back before he got hurt last season and he’s got to be at least our number 2 back now. Of the 5 backs we have just who is the fast’st and shifty in juking tackles? It has to be Ryan Williams! Check his West Virginia film, he is awesome! PLAY HIM ARIANS!

15. By Dynosoar on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

UK cards fan,

The Patriots were 0-4 in pre-season the year they went undefeated until their Super Bowl loss. Apparently pre-season stats do mean something, it’s better to go 0-4 than 4-0.

While I agree pre-season records don’t mean anything, there’s still a feeling that comes from wins that I like better than losses. Pre-season scrimmages or no.

I sometimes wonder if a coach will have the team lose purposely to disguise anything on tape from their regular season opponents, but the entire team would have to be on board with such a strategy or grumbling would occur.

What I have learned is I don’t want my team 4-0 in pre-season. It was bad enough for us in last years regular season.

16. By D on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

I wonder how last Sunday’s game would have turned out if AZ signed J. Long instead of the Rams.
    There is nothing that can be done now with the Left tackle spot until the spring. RB’s will have to chip and TE’s will have to help out. Brown will probably have a up and down year like the rest of his career….

Besides the two top Left tackles that are coming out in the draft next spring, don’t forget about the soon to be free agent Left tackle from the Jags. He could be availabe since the Jags can slide Jockel over there from the Right side at a cheaper price for the next few years instead of paying good money at Monroe. If Cards get that option, Keim needs to stay agressive in the offseason.. then they could take the best DLineman in the draft….. This team is only a few players away from being very good. (if Rashard has a good year, resign him before Dec)

17. By georgiebird on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

One of the things you will find going forward is that a lot of teams will use a TE to block Quinn (AND use the LT to run behind). A lot of people are calling for the TE and Levi to block Quinn. Some teams will come along with the smarts to say “why should we have our LT spend time chasing Quinn on each play”. Just use the blocking TE to push Quinn aside. Do we have that TE?????
    Quinn is about the same size as 3 or 4 of our linebackers- would another team use their LT to block our linebackers????
    There is a counter to most things that place on a football field- Or else every play would end up a TD . When BA was hired I was most impressed by his intelligence and his ability to identify problem areas. I hope he ends up being a real smart and insightful HC and not a comedian.

18. By georgiebird on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

@D
    I wonder how last Sunday’s game would have turned out if our defense had shut out the Rams in the 4th quarter.

19. By rod on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Johnny —

Maybe the TE or RB should bring a binky for Levi too.

LT’s need help from time to time but Levi SUCKS there is no disputing that.

20. By Flood on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Barry Bond —

Pretty sure Ryan Williams went to Va Tech. What film were you watching then?

21. By georgiebird on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

The Levi-Quinn matchup seems to be the big discussion from Sunday’s game..
    Here’s the part I don’t get. Our John Abraham is about the same size as Quinn and for a couple of plays maybe as fast. Didn’t BA play John against Levi in the week leading up to the game. This practice matchup would have at least given an indication to BA that there would be problems in the game by exposing bad mechanics and the like. .
    Once again, I hope that BA is truly the smartest and most insightful HC in the NFL, BUT is that wishful thinking?

22. By Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Sowell, younger, hungrier, more agile….Go forth my man…Best wishes. The job can be yours…you will play for sure next Sunday after the 1st sack…don’t get the nerves…. Arians is making a move to prevent the boos… Let’s hope there are none. 5 seconds my man….if #75 can’t do it.

CARDS REBUILDING???…. attitudes and the math reveal the truth…
    Quotes: Arians…”not the end of the world.”
    Draft Guy: already looking to next year’s picks… I agree, but how ’bout now?
    De Vingo: I want to see you play all-out after a year off!!!! (Yep, I do.. If he can’t, get someone else…you work this out in camp and pre-season games)

I could go on and on with fan’s example of naivete and hopefulness (that is, if you want to win.) I sincerely appreciate the chill factor, but again, 7 years to work on technique??? 7 years..??? 7- ^$%#^% years????

Here’s the technique: When The DE comes at you, you push him back and maybe knock him on his behind… a good LT doesn’t keep BACKING UP and fall on his ass next to his QB… Brown is big and strong, but super slow even for an average LT, period. Levi had about 60 lbs on Quinn – does that tell anything?… I don’t know…

Carson Palmer was pressured on 15 of 44 total dropbacks…3 sacks, 1 fumble.
    The defense played well enough to beat the Rams. Quit changing the subject.

The math::: The record to win the Division??? 10-7, probably not… The Conference Wild Card??? 9-7, outside maybe…probably not.
    As of now we have to go 9-6 to have any shot at all… probably need 10-5 to have a shot to make the play offs… One loss is really 2, huh? And the crowd goes wild, the players are happy, and the mgmt can be proud… Possible??? I hope so…

Or… we can put a very good plan together for next year…. Arians: WIN NOW, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REBUILDING… THIS IS WHY I LIKE HIM… Thank you for reading my sonata… been a Cards fan for many years… Be well all….

23. By Dr. G. on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Sorry, a point that is getting lost:::

7 years to work on technique??? 7 years..?? 7- ^$%#^% years????

Previous coaches didn’t know anything about the LT position, huh?

24. By ored on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

my thinking was that since levi usually does’nt even alter a speed rushers path,sometimes he fails to even get a hand on them,that we help to the outside and let levi become in effect a 2nd lft guard,any play up the middle give or take would be stonewalled and a quick te should be able to push the outside rusher further out to buy carson a little time,not perfect but until we get a tackle that can handle speed,or find levi some magic shoes…the truth is if speed gets to our qb,then they will always put their fastest guy right there until we can find a fix.

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Practice

Before you start passing judgement and making assumptions of what did and didn’t go on at practice — which I’m sure is meaningless to ask from you — let’s try to remember you have zero idea of what went on at practice. (Nor do I, since practices are closed.)

26. By georgiebird on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

Darren-
    re:Practice
    Sorry for stepping on toes- just want the Cards to do better.

27. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

I think most are over the top when it comes to Levi. I think he sucks as well. He always has, but he won the position outright. Which means there is no one better. That’s a sad thought. But BA said on a couple of those pass rushes, the RB’s were supposed to chip before going out in patterns. That’s the same as a CB and S miscommunicating. Normally in that case, its a TD for the other team. I’m not making excuses for Levi. Like I said, I think he stinks as a LT but if you are expecting help coming out of the huddle, you attack the pass rusher a little differently. So to expect the help and not get it is not good either. And Levi has not said a word about it. He just takes it. So I’m hoping Levi can turn it around and the offense can communicate a little better when it comes to the pass rush. As for the RB’s. I have to agree with Johnny. Even though he got the college wrong (Ryan William did go to Va. Tech), William is the best back we have. I’m am not a Mendenhall fan. That’s BA showing his loyalty from his days past in Pittsburgh. Maybe BA is saving Williams for later. I’m not sure. But if you ask me, I think there is something between the two that no one is talking about. Whatever it may be, we will not have a running game with Mendenhall. He is not the RB that he was in Pittsburgh. Whatever Ryan Williams needs to do to get out of BA’s dog house, I wish he would do it. Because as much as I like all of the running backs, I just think Williams is the best we have.

28. By infitzwetrust on Sep 10, 2013 | Reply

I didn’t read any post above so excuse me if this was already spoken on.

I feel with the whiz regime Levi was on his way out based on being ranked the worst, or close to worst left tackle in the league. Since the coaching staff changed, Levi got the benefit of the doubt and was rendered another chance.

Keim has been around and i’m sure he is fully aware of what we have in Levi, leaving me wondering…

Based on that, you have to point at Bruce for keeping Levi as our LT – I’m sure lack of availability in the draft an in free agency played a role. But you have to wonder since Arians dubbed Levi “elite” and quoted in similar words: “I don’t see a problem with the offensive line,” how do we decode what Arians sees in Levi, in comparison to what we and the whole football world KNOW what we have in Levi.

29. By Darren Urban on Sep 11, 2013 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Toes

I know that. And they aren’t my toes. It’s one thing to take things from a game in which you watched. I get that. And, especially after the previous regime, I can see where some are gun-shy about a coach being stubborn. But if we are all asking it, I think it’s fair to say they are asking it too. And trying to address it in the way they think will be the best given the circumstances.

30. By Victor on Sep 16, 2013 | Reply

Darrin-
    I know Cooper is a guard but all I hear is that he is super athletic, smart and has great pass blocking skills. Besides his size why can’t he be tried out at LT?

31. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2013 | Reply

Victor —

RE: Cooper

He’s a guard. Doesn’t have the size to be tackle.