Peterson’s throw-and-catch mean Hall of Fame

Posted by Darren Urban on September 19, 2013 – 10:58 am

Against the Lions, Patrick Peterson became the first defensive player since at least 1970 to catch a pass and complete a pass in the same game. It was a significant feat, so his gloves and the ball from that game are now in Canton, Ohio, on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It’s not the first time this has happened for Peterson. When he tied the NFL record with four punt return touchdowns in a season in 2011 as a rookie, the Hall took Peterson’s cleats from his Nov. 6 return against the Rams.

Back in 2009, the Hall took some of Kurt Warner’s gear after Warner set the NFL record for completion percentage in a game against Jacksonville. And there has been a Pat Tillman exhibit for a while.

As for Peterson’s day, it was all in a day’s work. (Even if he admitted he might not have made his catch.)

“I prepare myself for these types of moments in the offseason,” Peterson said. “I believe I’m in probably the best shape on the team. I work extremely hard in the offseason and it pays dividends in the season. When my number is called I’m definitely ready to go. I believe that I can play pretty much every position and pretty much every second on the clock. That’s how I feel, but I just want to continue going out there and getting better each and every week, doing the things I need to do to help my team win ball games.”

As for what’s next? “We’ve got a lot planned up our sleeves,” Peterson said.

Peterson-Gloves-and-BallUSE

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Peterson’s throw-and-catch mean Hall of Fame”

1. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Did he wear the gloves on both throw and catch?

Thx. DTL

2. By andystandsup on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Didn’t Neil Rackers also have his cleats sent to Canton after his big FG season?
    And since the Hall wanted them overnight, he refused – because everyone knows Rackers couldn’t deliver late?

3. By Capital Card on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

I guess the HOF couldn’t display his jersey as he gave it to Calvin Johnson after the game.

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Gloves

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Rackers

Now there’s the andystandsup I remember.

6. By Dynosoar on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

andystandsup,

Remember a few years ago in the Super Bowl, the Patriot’s kicker, Stephen Gostkowski, missed and the next day the Patriots Pro Shop had his jersey listed with a delivery note, that it would be delivered to your neighbor.

It’s good to share a laugh, thanks.

7. By Dr. G. on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Hey Patrick, Glad you’re on our team; I wouldn’t want to deal with you if you played elsewhere! Wisdom dictates that your youthful exuberance will be better served by being a stealth weapon rather than announcing: “Watch out, we got some good stuff planned.” That will probably work if you are the decoy, but the headhunters will key on you either way… Shhhhhhhh… Most of the players on the field are bigger than you. Stay healthy, my man… Let the numbers talk…

8. By NYCardinals on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Patrick Peterson stealth?

The moment his cleats touch the grass, the opposing team knows. There will never be a time when he sneaks into the huddle and lines up without anyone (everyone) knowing. It doesn’t matter if he talks.

9. By he way - Dr. G on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

NYG… Yes, I agree of the Saints astute awareness of #21… but talking good smack is invigorating…. for the wrong team… We don’t want to prime the pump before we get there…. Be well…

10. By NYCardinals on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G,

I have the same sentiments as you when it comes to smack talk, but for some reason, when Peterson boasts, he just says it in a certain way — with supreme confidence in himself, without putting anyone else down. I try not to listen to much of it anyway.

11. By Steve on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Admire your ability to “stay on the fence” and just report your stories in a professional unbiased way. I know your not a fan per say but do you ever find your usage of the English language during a game becoming a bit “salty” like the rest of us fans!? Things like “that was a $#@^%! call!! or “what the *&%$#@ is he thinking!!” during the stressful moments of the action?

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Language

You know how there’s no cheering in the press box?

There’s no swearing there, either.

13. By he way - Dr. G on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren, You are part of the marketing team, I think… promotion is a big deal. Is there any reason you cannot be a bit of a “homer?” I get the feeling you want to remain neutral; perhaps this is just with the blogs. I have always had an appreciation for the staff presenting a bias for the home team… as in Go Cards! In any event, you are doing a superb job for the parts I see… Thank you…

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Bias

My background is journalism and newspapers. I’m sure in some ways my bosses would like it if I was more of a “homer.” But if I was, what would be the point of people coming to read my stuff? I benefit when the team does well, but results will happen one way or the other regardless. So I try to stay neutral. That is my job, in my opinion.

I do find your comment a little humorous. Usually people rip me for being a homer or being bias (which I don’t think I am). To have someone say I’m not that way enough, well, I guess I’m doing it the right way if both sides don’t like it.

15. By he way - Dr. G on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren: I appreciate your remarks regarding bias. And, I certainly understanding some reporters trying to create news vs reporting it. Your position is well taken.

So in that light, would you ever consider posting a regular short preview of the upcoming opponent for the week with a tilt toward Cards’ analysis? Or do you consider Arians’ interviews accommodate that purpose?

…And I am happy to humor you…. (What is life without humor and imagination?)
    Good day on Friday….

16. By Cactus jeff on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

With Trent Richardson trade, makes me wonder what WR will the Patriots trade for, and what will they give up?

17. By Steve on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Ahh Darren, methinks I’d like to be a bug on the wall in the pressbox during games just to hear all the “banter” taking place!

18. By UK cards fan on Sep 20, 2013 | Reply

Darren, thank you for not being blatantly biased like Dan Shaughnessy and many other sports writers. Those writers seem to lack objectivity when it is most crucial.

19. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Preview

If you are talking about a straight x’s and o’s thing, we might do that.

20. By the way - Dr. G on Sep 20, 2013 | Reply

Darren… Yes, the X’s and O’s preview for the upcoming opponent would be excellent fan information… (just nuts and bolts stuff)… You have access to better and more recent info that we do… thanks for this consideration…..

21. By Cards4Life on Sep 20, 2013 | Reply

I actually get a laugh off Darren always dawgin Ron wolfley during game commentary.

22. By ored on Sep 20, 2013 | Reply

i think the seasons of returning punts have shown 21’s skill,not to say something unexpectantly can’t happen,but he has been exposing himself to big shots every time he returns a kick,it’s what he does,so make use of it offensively if it’s there,the guy is a playmaker,it would be a shame to limit him,same with fitz,move him around,HB also,washington when he gets back,and ellington,not to say they should play offense and defense,but move them around in the scheme,create mismatches,maybe even time to think of housler as a wide reciever,he has the speed and would be a matchup nightmare.from day one versatility has been the mantra,the players all say the more they can do,the more chances they get to play,now is not the time to start handcuffing ourselves over injury concerns if the player has shown to be capable,after all it is football and injuries are part of the game,you just don’t want them to happen to our players.

as far as talking smack,as long as seattle is winning i don’t think anybody takes that crown from them,i’m good with that,let them keep putting the target on their back,we just want to win,always time to get cocky later,besides builds the drama.