The specter of Warner

Posted by Darren Urban on September 19, 2013 – 10:03 am

Carson Palmer has been a Cardinals for nearly six months. He’s played with the team all offseason, and is two games into a well-established role as starter. And the Cardinals had gone through eight quarterbacks in some way, shape or form between the time Palmer arrived and Kurt Warner retired.

But the long Warner shadow hovers. Palmer acknowledged that.

“Definitely. You hear about it all the time,” Palmer said. “And I think that’s the case anywhere a great quarterback plays. And, Kurt was, obviously, a great quarterback. He played in Super Bowls, helped get this team to an NFC Championship game and win it. That’s just kind of the shoes you have to fill that you hear about. You heard about it forever in Denver when they were looking for the next John Elway. And, I think it’s still looming here. Until someone else takes this team to a Super Bowl, you are always going to hear those comparisons.”

Even Warner noted in training camp that his exploits would inevitably be linked to Palmer’s Arizona tenure. I do think it has lessened somewhat, simply because Palmer has shown he remains a pretty good NFL quarterback and, more importantly, he’s much better than any of the guys that came before him. There are comparisons to those guys too, and he’s obviously on the other side of that than he might be with the legend of Warner.

Palmer is probably better equipped to deal with the comparisons too. He’s a guy who’s confident in himself and knows he has a solid résumé. Can he turn in a playoff run with this team? We’ll see. He’s right — without one, the Warner talk probably won’t go away.

CPKurtUSE

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “The specter of Warner”

1. By cdj on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

is it just me or has Palmers demeanor seemed different? Like he seems overall happier than even when he was in his glory days with the bengals, idk maybe im just imagining things

2. By just on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

never was a fan of warner, the super bowl year was a team achievement not just warner so don’t fret it palmer some cards fans don’t place warner that high up. after all he did loose the super bowl with a dumb interception at the goal line and then he couldn’t even push the guy out of bounds. as far as im concerned this is your team to build a legacy in, engineer greatness!

3. By joe67 on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

I agree with cdj. But then…Cincy, Oakland, or AZ….guaranteed 8 games on natural grass, 9 games in a dome, a qb’s coach, front office trying to build a winner and a good contract…..Yeh, I think he is happier.

4. By clssylssy on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

I really hate it when the media can’t move on and are always attempting to weave a story out of thin comparisons. Kurt and Carson Palmer have little in common other than their big “chance” at a career rebirth with the Cardinals. Kurt already had a career and a Superbowl ring before ever coming to Arizona…didn’t really need validation but was happy to be a PART of the magic of the Cards 2008 year. Carson, like many other QBs has made a few unremarkable stops along the way after what looked to be a bright start. Why don’t we just let him do his thing without comparisons and leave it at that? I’m happy to have him and wish him the best but anybody who is focusing on the future has little time to drag around the past, whether it’s good or bad so let’s cut him a break!

5. By Chris B on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

cdj-
    I would agree to an extent.

6. By Sean on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

I love both Warner & Palmer but is it me, or is Warner just complimentary enough of Palmer? He compliments Palmer, but he doesn’t really seem to exude having high expectations for the team or Palmer. To me Warner’s compliments seem to be very measured/tempered, doesn’t seem overly excited like a typical homer.

7. By jeff gubernick on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

I am convinced if the line can give Palmer time,keep running the ball,and the addition of a few decent tight ends,he will pick defenses apart much LIKE warner DID”

8. By joe holst on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

warner looks ripped and palmer flabby.

9. By ored on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

not to mention the height factor,but palmers play is’nt really like warners at all,i remember warner engulfed by a mass of defensive players,almost to the point where he disappeared,thought for sure he was sacked,then out of nowhere the ball shot out like from a howitzer and remarkably accurate,his throws remind me more of marino throwing to his super duper recievers,where as palmer has’nt displayed that long range consistant threat,not saying he can’t but that does’nt seem to be his style,and i am a big palmer fan and i’m sure he will hit his stride.

i would have loved to see warner and BA together,that would have been a match makers dream,although he did just fine with luck last year.and speaking of height issues,seems to me that a number of “short’ qbs are doing just fine,not a believer that just being tall gives you an automatic advantage.it’s not always the fastest or most athletic that wins out.it still comes down to chemistry,when a team has all their moving parts playing error free and instinctevly together then it’s a TEAM.we get closer each week,when our offense and defense play complete games at the same time,then we will be a force.

10. By Scott H on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

Well, after the hell he was in in Oakland for the past few seasons….I have to think he is much happier here. And with Larry Fitzgerald to throw to, he has THE best WR he’s EVER played with. Chad Johnson in his prime was a great WR. But not on the same level as Fitzgerald. Also, Johnson became more and more of a jack-ass as his career progressed. It was entertaining for awhile. Then it just became pathetic and I think everyone just wanted him to shut the hell up, including his own coaches and teammates. Fitz is every bit as classy and professional as he is talented and that must be a pleasure for Palmer to be around.

just – try not to speak, dude, OK?

11. By mark on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

this is a HUGE opportunity for the Cardinals to make some noise this week. I hope they play their tails off to get that Win. If you want to be a respected team then they have to go and get it. I have been very impressed with the Cardinals on both side of the ball last game. Zero points given up in the second half, and besides the pick 6 the Offense was moving efficiently until 3rd down. I like to think a lot of this has to do with the infancy of our roster being together. I know will continue to see better timing. Also, HOUSLER needs to solidify himself as a starter. Every time he plays he has the ball in his hands he makes plays, but he has to make catches. I want him to be the man so bad. I am looking forward to this weekends game really bad, I think if we continue to build off how we finished last week, then the Saints are in for a dog fight. Our defense is underrated, and when Washington comes back, you can kiss catches by TE goodbye. No more 144 yard games for Jared Cook. Will dominate St. Louis next time. Only if we continue to keep pressure off Palmer.

Okay I am done ranting, GO BIRDGANG!

12. By paul on Sep 19, 2013 | Reply

So Just you say getting to the Super Bowl wasn’t because of Warner but you blame losing the Super Bowl on him? Speaking as a huge Warner fan he had a huge impact on the success of the Cardinals that year and we may not have ever played in that Super Bowl if not for Warner, and Fitz of course! I would rather watch my favorite team play in a Super Bowl and lose than never play in one at all! I wish I wouldn’t have wasted my time reading your ridiculous comment.