Dan Williams loses his father

Posted by Darren Urban on September 22, 2013 – 8:32 am

In sad news, nose tackle Dan Williams lost his father after Thomas Williams was killed in a car accident. Williams did not make the trip to New Orleans and will not play today. Williams’ family was driving to New Orleans from Memphis to see the game. Williams’ mother and sister were also in the car and survived.

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and running back Rashard Mendenhall will play, as expected. With Rob Housler active for the first time, rookie tight end D.C. Jefferson will be inactive for the first time. Newcomer Alameda Ta’amu will play in Williams’ place. Rookie linebacker Alex Okafor is active for the first time this season. Also inactive today:

– LB Kevin Minter (hamstring)

– RB Ryan Williams

– QB Ryan Lindley

– T Bobby Massie

– G Earl Watford

RB Mark Ingram is inactive for the Saints.

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “Dan Williams loses his father”

1. By SteveG on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

What a gut punch for Dan…Deepest condolences.

2. By cardsfan31 on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Man Darren that is a sad situation. I lost my father to cancer recently and know how it feels to lose a father. As I recall you also went through it recently. Not a day goes by that you don’t think about it. There’s just something about the bond between a father and son that is irreplaceable. My condolences to big Dan and may God help him and his family through this.

3. By infitzwetrust on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Family is forever. Condolences to big Dan and his family.

4. By Gerald Jones on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Dan, all Cardinal Nation is grieving with you.

5. By Dynosoar on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

I wish my English was good enough to express my thoughts. As much as I love this game and my Cardinals, family is so much more important. As much time as I spend here with all of you I feel were a family of sorts. Take care my friends.

I think I’ll call my dad today and attend that nephew’s birthday today I wasn’t sure I have time for.

Dan, take care. As thrilled as I was watching your interception and touchdown, I’m imagining what your feeling and it aches.

From one Tennessee boy to another, hold on to your family and hold them tight. I hold to the belief that families bonds are forever, otherwise heaven wouldn’t be heaven at all.

How fitting that when I imagine New Orleans, one of the most striking image I’ve always had is of funeral processions winding through the streets with a small Brass Band playing “When the Saints, Go Marching In.” We’re in New Orleans with the Saints and Dan’s lost his father. I don’t know Dan’s dad, but to most of us our parents are Saints.

Gotta go call my dad. Take care ya’ll. Take care of yours.

6. By Hammy on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

My heart goes out to Dan and his family.

7. By Pete Dowdle on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

That is a tough, tough development. The previous article on Dan’s possible absence from the game made it sound as if maybe someone was sick in a hospital somewhere, and Dan was just trying to be there for him/her just in case, you know? I’d no idea that it involved his family driving down to N.O. to see their boy play. That is such a sad, sad story…

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family on this Sunday. I hope his fill-in does the position justice, and gives Dan one less thing to hurt over, as everyone knows he was wishing he’d be playing this Sunday before everything went terribly wrong in his world. But more importantly, I hope Dan finds some semblance of peace in his heart and his family live a long and happy life together.

8. By Brett n Co. on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Thoughts and prayers for you and your family Dan Williams.

9. By ored on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

what should have been happy get together….condolences,dan

10. By Ann in Arizona on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Dan, Please accept my most heartfelt sympathies for your loss….my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this most difficult time.

11. By Carl Hallowell on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

May the gods be with him and his family.

12. By Andy Kw on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

We all send our prayers to Dan and his family

13. By Moe on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Sorry for your loss. Providing my condolences from a 49ers fan.

14. By georgiebird on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Condolences to Dan

15. By Safety Guy on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

My respects Dan.
    May your lord be with you and your family in your time of loss

16. By JR on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Dear Dan,

I’m very, very sorry for the loss of your Dad and the injuries to your Mom and sister. What a tragedy. I’ll be praying for all of you. Jim Richardson

17. By clssylssy on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

What a sad tragedy for Dan Williams and his family. The loss of a father is something that one never really recovers from and I’m sure Dan’s Cardinal teammates will be there for him as well as the rest of us who hold him in our thoughts and prayers. So saddened by Dan’s tragic loss as well as prayers wishing his mother a speedy recovery.

18. By stfuirsay on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Dan if you read this, know that the Red Sea is here for you too. Be strong, and be the “next man up” for your Family now in the most respectable way.

19. By azdesertrat1953 on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

It is just so sudden that makes it Hurt the most.

Condolences to you and your Family Dan.

20. By h8tred1 on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Very sad news… My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family Dan.

21. By fightingbird on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

We are very sorry for your loss big Dan our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family from Cardinal fans in North Carolina.

2. Sep 22, 2013: Cardinals Blogs | Saints aftermath