Saints aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 22, 2013 – 5:59 pm

In the end, Sunday felt a little like the last time the Cardinals went to New Orleans, when Tim Hightower ripped off a 70-yard touchdown run on the opening possession and you were thinking, “OK, now, this will be interesting” and it really wasn’t. The Cards were more deliberate on their first drive this time around but the result was the same, and you were thinking, “OK now …” only the offense kept sputtering. There were too many trips without points to not have it end up adversely affecting the team.

A lot of those out there jumped on the defense, but sorry, I can’t see it. Did the unit finish? No. was there still too much poor tackling, leading to bad situations? Yes. But the defense was doing its job much of the game. Jimmy Graham proved too much – I wonder if the injuries (more below) might have impacted that – but the Cards weren’t giving up anything on the ground and had mostly stumped a pretty good offense. Eventually, though, the Cards’ own offense couldn’t hold up its end of the bargain.

Now it’s on to Florida for the week. “We need to make sure it’s (good to be away),” QB Carson Palmer said. “We need to make sure this is a crisp week. We have a chance to get back to 2-2, a chance to play against Carolina at home, a chance to get a win against a team that is struggling a little bit.

“The veterans need to make sure this is work week. We are there to work.”

– Bruce Arians was not specific about the injuries suffered by the Cardinals during the game, but he sounded grim when he said “it’s not good.” Given that three defensive starters left the game in linebacker Lorenzo Alexander (foot), safety Rashad Johnson (finger) and linebacker Sam Acho (ankle), that wouldn’t bode well. Acho tweeted out a picture of himself in a boot saying “God has a plan.” Those aren’t usually the words spoken – even for someone devoted to his faith like Acho – by a guy who might miss a week. We’ll see.

– Palmer was pressured, too much according to Arians (although the Saints have a better pass rush than I gave them credit for.)  He didn’t look sharp regardless. The first interception was just a bad throw to tight end Rob Housler, Palmer admitted.

– Alfonso Smith got off to a great start, gaining 27 yards on three carries on the first drive, including a touchdown. He didn’t get another carry and played sparingly if at all on offense the rest of the way. Andre Ellington got a ton of work again behind Rashard Mendenhall.

– In the grand scheme, it didn’t mean much but the Cards, after scoring the opening TD, allowed the Saints to get one on their own first possession. “You score a touchdown you don’t like it answered with a touchdown,” Arians said.

– Larry Fitzgerald looked OK dealing with his hamstring. Led the team in catches and yards (5-64). The week of little practice seemed to make a difference.

– Who were the two guys most brought up during the week by the Cards as the ones to watch for? Graham and Darren Sproles. Who were the catalysts for the Saints? Graham and Sproles.

– Can’t discount Drew Brees and his ability to move in the pocket. He was sacked four times but he seemed to somehow escape about four others, turning them into gains either by running or passing. Those are always gut-punchers for the defense.

– A lot of this, of course, seems pretty trivial given the horrible news about Dan Williams. Arians said the team is keeping their collective thoughts and prayers with Williams. That’s all it can really do.

That’s it from Florida. We’ll have all the coverage out here for the week as the Cards will try to bounce back against the Bucs.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

55 Responses to “Saints aftermath”

1. By Wnycardfan on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

It looks pretty obvious after three games that the offense isn’t doing well, or rather isn’t performing. Granted they are better than last year, but I for one expected them to be better than what we’ve seen so far. Palmer isn’t as good , yet, as I thought. Running game is a lot better. But they still aren’t working too well. Defense is good , but needs some more tweaks. I hate to say it but don’t think they are going to do what colts did last year for Arians, wish they would. I hate to hear , more than once, that we shouldn’t be too upset because it’s the saints (maybe if it was close , they blew us away). I also hate to hear how we have two crappy teams coming up. Really? That’s what we have become, looking for the crappy teams so we can win? C’mon man

Dan Williams, I can’t imagine……..god bless

2. By Erik on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

I was really disappointed after that first drive when they scored. I cant believe they couldn’t score after that. Like how does that happen? A FG at least? What Wowed me was when the commentaters said they we had 8 consecutive 3 and outs lol.

I did feel a little better when I saw the Rams and 49ers lost too.

3. By georgiebird on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

The most pertinent comment by BA -’You score a TD you don’t like it answered with a TD’. The TD response by NO has been going on for decades against the Cards defense. If our offense had scored 24 today, NO may have scored 45. Except for a play here and there, it just seems so easy to complete a pass against the Cardinals.
    Todd Bowles was openly criticized by announcers and analysts today. He was definitely a bad hire to fix the defense. The next Cards DC to make the defense a force in the league will be the first one.

4. By seth on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

All I have to say is….. PATHETIC!!! Looked like the olds cards out there playing, can’t believe I sat through the whole thing, I guess there’s next week… right?

5. By cardinal on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

cards fan for 37 seasons ..nothing surprises me anymore …except y we arrive on sat night ????? team should have gone there friday am !!

6. By stevenanimator on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

After 3 regular season games, two huge problems I see with this Cardinals team – the O-Line and the defensive play-calling. I’m seriously doubting Bowles’ Defensive schemes after seeing him put Tyran Mathieu in single coverage against TE Graham. Sending 5 or 6 guys to rush on almost every down has turned out to be costly and it’s making the Cards Defense look predictable and one dimensional. The missed tackles are inexcusable, but it’s not like these players aren’t capable. It appears that losing Horton when Whiz was canned was like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I don’t see the Defense turning it around anytime soon since it’s more about the bad play calling than anything.

7. By Steve on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren: I missed the game and was interested to know if you thought the Cards Oline held up a little better on the fast astroturf this time versus the last astroturf game they played against the Rams? Have fun in Tampa!

8. By HunterSThompson on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

I will gladly second some good points made here already. Defensive play calling/scheming seems reactionary at best, with little in the way of creative QB pressure. Repeatedly man-covering Graham with T.Mathieu or any other DB is a cosmic joke.

Clearly our roster still has major gaps. Levi Brown seriously looks worse than ever…getting abused by an undrafted edge rusher. Winston sure looked average on the other side, and Carson Palmer is already beginning to look like Kevin Kolb, with the deer-in-headlights eyes and skittish pocket presence. Despite his obvious efforts, Dansby seems a step behind and every other liinebacker is either horribly slow or simply invisible.

Our offense looks so potent if we simply had a line to hold up in pass protection. Unfortunately after 3 games the book is out on the Cards, and I fear little can be improved upon mid-season. Our o-line is porous inside and out and our defense cannot cover the tight end. After numerous 3and outs from the offense, our defense will eventually wear down.

This week was humbling….

9. By Chris B on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

I said it before the start of the season: They will start slow. They will be 2-4 maybe. But they will get it figured out by week 5 or 6 and then play much better. Denver did the same last year and they have Manning.
    Give it time. They’ll work it out.

10. By ored on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

discouraging for sure,even after sacks they went on for 1st downs,has to be hard for the offense to watch,and just as hard for the defense to watch 3 and outs,we have still not played team ball,with the exception of a possession or play or two.keep coaching and practicing because we’re not there yet.
    misery loves company,the 9ers and rams did’nt look good at all.but good for hoyer,he’s making the best of his situation.

if we could just hang onto that feeling and play when we are on,both defense and offense.we did stuff the run pretty well,but their one dimensional pass game was really effective,they had what we need,big plays and consistency,even without a ground game they had no problem moving and scoring.we have the skill players,but we just don’t perform up to our talent level,we got housler back,and with larry,the rest of our recievers,and our version of sproles (ellington),a decent run game,and a veteran qb….the best we could do was 7 points and pretty puny yardage to match.this is looking to be hard on players and fans alike.

11. By Patrick Hoog aka DTL on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Some days you’re the windshield, some days you’re the bug. Looks like we’ll find out how good our depth is in Tampa.

12. By the way - Dr. G. on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Well, melancholy is the word this week for DWilliams. He will need the guys in the locker room to understand and help him. He will need to work some as a distraction to help the mourning period surely to come…. A good scream and a cry will help.

As for the game, I am taking a respite this week trying not to over analyze what we saw today. I don’t want to think we got schooled, but it was not lovely… Many things happened that can be worked on, but bottom line for me was watching Palmer running and ducking a lot…. kinda reminds me of the previous year. He is tough but I am praying he does not get hurt. If today had been a guy like Kolb, he would be on the cart… He’s is going to be sore this week!!!

And as for Horton, though he proved to be a very capable DC, he will forever be bitten by not being selected to be the HC. Subconsciously, he might have an issue working for Arians; that is not worth a gamble…. Be well….

13. By KevinS on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Wow this game looked like last year with Skelton at the helm, weak blocking and Int’s sure got to Palmer. This was not pretty.

14. By BeatSF on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Oh no…we suck again! Hope Arians uses the same criteria for his coaches as he does his players. If the DC is not getting the job done when the other team has completely abandoned the run game, replace him!

15. By mrpeary3189 on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Lovie Smith for DC anyone?

16. By georgiebird on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

We may have lost three defensive starters from our lousy defense. Are these guys All-Pro or are they three guys who help make the defense lousy?
    Let’s move on and give some other guys a chance. There’s no place to go but up.

17. By Frederick on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Do you think the cards can get it together in time to make a run at a wildcard spot?

18. By georgiebird on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Saints are a very good team at home. Nothing came as a surprise. Next week, however, is a very meaningful game for fans with realistic expectations. A loss to the Bucs would make this season another loser. Serious consideration must be given to trading Larry and Dockett so that we can make a serious run at a franchise QB. At what performance level will Larry and Dockett be in 2-3 years when the playoffs might be a realistic goal. Or are the 49ers that bad and everything will be ok?

19. By Jesse Robles on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Cardinals were 4-0 last season. It is too early, just looking to come out 2-2.

20. By Jason on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

How many more chances will Levi Brown get? I bet you that if he is playing for anyone else he is A. Is moved to RG or LG. Or B. He is released. I’m sorry but just because he’s being paid like a starting LT doesn’t make him untouchable. Also, how many of us were concerned with the Bowles hiring? Most of us knew this was a questionable hire. After he was fired in Philly, their defense improved. I think it’s great that BA kept his word and gave Bowles the job but if BA wants to keep his job, he better look to replace Bowles by next season. His defensive play calling is horrible. How many times today did we have Bell on Graham? Or Mathieu on Graham? That is just unacceptable. Bring back our attacking zone blitzing D that Horton ran. Right now this defense is too predictable. Hopefully D-Wash will make it all better.

21. By not a fan of Tod Bowles on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Ray Horton>>>>>>>Tod Bowles

22. By Cautiously Optimistic on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Condolences to Dan Williams and his family.

GOOD- I’ve been openly critical of Dockett’s play this whole season. Glad to see him step it up and make some huge plays today. Love the guy and know he can do better than the first two games of the season. Mathieu- the guy just keeps making plays. I was not a fan of his, but thought he was a good risk where we got him. Glad that risk is paying off game after game and I’m becoming a honey badger fan. I hope he stays on this track and maintains a great off the field demeanor because he has the potential to be a star. Please don’t burn us like D Wash did. (More on that later) PP did a great job at corner today, too. Zastudil and Bethel- these men are amazing. What more can you say? Punt team is just producing week in and week out. Keep up the great work!

BAD- Defensive scheme. To me the way it looked was that Bowles knew he couldn’t shut down every one of Brees’ weapons, so he was bringing extra men in on the blitz hoping to disrupt Brees. The problem, once again, was that they weren’t complex blitz schemes and once again I saw little- if any- disguise. Brees knew where he was going with the ball based off reading the defense before virtually every snap. That’s because we weren’t mixing it up and disguising coverages. Honey Badger on press coverage vs. Jimmy Graham?? Like I said- I think I may have seen where Bowles was going with all the weapons the Saints have to bear by trying to take out the source in Brees, but I think he swung and missed on this one.

Offensively we were anemic. I’m really tired of hearing about all the Housler hype. He needs to show us Cardinal fans something soon. He’s obviously got it- otherwise all of these folks in the know wouldn’t be praising him so much, but he just can’t seem to put it on the field. I get that he’s coming off injury, but I don’t think I’m alone when I say as a Cardinals fan that we’re tired of hearing about it and we want to see it. Injured or not. I’m not trying to blast the guy, but I’m just tired of watching the NFL trend of huge TE’s that create mismatches opening up offenses on every other team but ours. Meanwhile all our analysts can do is sing Housler’s praises while the guy has like <600 yards career. Jimmy Graham hardly played football before the NFL and he already had 1600+yds entering his 3rd year. We need a real, legitimate weapon at TE if we're going to keep playing this style of offense.

I hate to say it, but overall the way the game looked to me was that when we lined up man on man against the Saints they had us beat nearly everywhere. They've got some real talent and a great coach, so I don't want to take away from that, but we've got to go in with a better scheme if we can't take them one on one. More guys have got to start being accountable, D Wash has got to get back in the line up, and we really need to start looking at what we're doing on defense. We are making good stops, but we keep giving up big plays with poor tackling and by telegraphing what we're doing. 2 sacks are easy to makeup for with one 15+ yd. play.

23. By Sect 113 on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Is Grimm back with the Cards? I thought we had this amazing coaching staff with all of this experience???

Very confused…

We nuked this team and ended up right where we were.

24. By Derek DeVore on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Offensive line has been issue for years. Levi cannot handle the position. This is not a surprise. It is not something out of the blue. But, it is a huge reason why we are 1 – 2 and not 3-0. Weakness is what every team is looking to expose. You go after the weak link. For our Cardinals it is and remains the offensive line. We will be losing more games until this is fixed. Palmer can get it done if he can get enough time. I think it is obvious we do have a real QB now. FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. By Redbirdman on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

New coaching staff; new quarterback – same results!

When will we see a bonafide NFL team wearing a Cardinals uniform? I’m not as disappointed with BA as I am with Todd Bowles as our DC. This guy is in way over his head! The defense couldn’t cover me and I’m 58!

And how does Palmer throw that INT in the end zone? When you’re not that good on offense you simply can not turn the ball over like that especially against a team like the Saints. Does anyone on this site remember when the Saints were the ‘Aints? Why can’t we be them?

It would be just like us to lose to Tampa Bay next week,

This is their “free pass” year because of our new coaching staff. However next season the clock starts ticking in earnest.

Hopefully we’ll have a shot at AJ McCarron; Teddy Bridgewater or a stud running back.

26. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

My take on the game;

First, Dockett took us back to 2007-08 , . He got to line up against a back up rookie guard and he did what you do when you go against a backup. His 3 sacks were more than he has had in his last 20 games. OK, great game by him. Do I dare to say (Dynosour) he wrecked havoc. Can he follow it up going against all pro Carl Nicks next week?

Unfortunately, the rest of the defense played poorly as mismatch after mismatch. How do you not bracket Graham? Terrible game plan by Bowles.

Levi looked bad again. There has been enough talk about him. He must be replaced next year.

Palmer needs protection. He is a little gun shy once he starts getting hit. The first drive showed what he can do protected. Then he got hit often and began to throw the ball early or off his back foot. If you want success, he needs to stay clean. I dont know if we can do this.

Ryan adjusted and figured out how to shut us down. The cards didnt have an answer. Frankly, the saints had more talent, better coaching and were playing at home, I am not shocked or surprised. I think anyone who looked at this game when the schedule came out, marked down as a lost.

Tampa win not be easy. But if we want to get back into this race, we need to travel across the nation and win in Florida.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

Anyone notice Kenny Vaccaro had 6 tackles and a pick?

28. By bigredmachine75 on Sep 22, 2013 | Reply

We have a middle of the road quarterback who makes us play middle of the road. Last time I checked every quarterback in the league get pressured and sacked. The qb’s who are mobile and agile, i.e. Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers do it every week but yet still find ways to win or ways to will their teams to victory. I don’t see it in Palmer. If it wasn’t for the pass interference call in the Detroit game we could easily be 0-3. Do we still have Larry? This is week 3 and Levi still doesn’t move his feet, he gets beat on bull rushes, speed rushes. Come on man this is your job, he will not be back next season. No consistency at the qb position. The defense held as long as they could before the damn broke. They stayed on the field way to long.

29. By rdixon50 on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Seth,

Worse for me – I watched every play from China – 1 A.M – 4:15 A.M. local time

30. By Brad on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Stevenanimator, great call, Urbs is blinded by his paycheck, which i don’t blame him, he starts dissin coordinators and he might not have a job anymore. Bowles D play-calling is terrible, with talent like PP, Docket, Campbell, Honey B, Abraham, Keim has done his job, Bowles is blowing it. I was going to say something similar, except the top two things we’ve learned from 2013 thus far would be Levi is the same player as he was under Whisenhunt, and Bowles can not play-call to save himself. Bowles had a week to plan for Graham, and his plan was to man-to-man him with the slowest DB in Bell or the shortest DB in HB, nice.

31. By cdj on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

what this team needs, is more time to gel, they will get it in time and it may be hard, but we have to be a little more patient

32. By louis on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

like i said we need a owner who knows football and a g.m . we will finish under 500. this again . i ben a cardinals fan 30 years and its the same way every year .

33. By Mike G on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Hey Daren–Hope all is cool in Florida!! First off — condolences go out to Dan Williams and his family. Events like that put life and football in their proper places.
    As far as the game goes–thought the Card’s got the start they needed with a sustained TD drive. After that things went downhill from there. Thought Ellington and A Smith played well on offense and Dockett and Dansby were active on D. Hope the Cards didnt come out of the game too banged up. My biggest concern with the team is the ability to convert 3rd downs. I think Palmer must make quicker decisions and get the ball out faster. Hopefully this will improve as the season goes on. Really need this game in Tampa– to come back home 2-2 would be a good thing– especially with 3 out of 4 road games to start the season. Darren–Do you think practicing this week in Florida will be a distraction to any of the Card’s young players?????

34. By clssylssy on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

When we went into NO, we knew the Saints were going to be a test and even an opportunity to gain some credibility, IF, this team were indeed improved and we could take it out of the comfortable home field of Phoenix Stadium on the road and come up victorious. We knew Drew Brees was one of the top three QBs in the NFL and the Saints possessed some amazing weapons in the form of Jimmy Graham, Darren Sproles, Marques Colston, Robert Mechan, Junior Gallette and newcomes Kenny Vacarro and Kenny Stills OR maybe we didn’t do our homework well enough and were just a little to arrogant and over confident coming off a win.
    I saw this game as the GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY. The GOOD was the evolving run game which totally surprised the Saints and made them readjust (which they did with ease), Darnell Dockett played with a renewed passion and energy and showed the leadership we have seen throughout his career. Tyrann Mathieu intercepted Drew Brees in the endzone (no small feat), our Veteran Cards, Fitz, Dansby and Dockett all were unflapable by the who Dat Gris-Gris, and Carson Palmer stood up fairly well to being pressured and pounded by a much improved Rob Ryan defense. The BAD was the terrible mismatches in coverage and the bad playcalling on both sides of the ball. The defense fell apart and wasn’t a shadow of what it was under Ray Horton, our DC had a 5’8″ Tyrann Mathieu trying to cover a 6’7″ Jimmy Graham who outweighed him by nearly a hundred pounds, coverage consistently broke down leaving their most lethal weapons totally free to score and the 0-line that was SUPPOSE to be our priority to fix wasn’t able to protect Palmer long enough to get rid of the ball. I didn’t see any of BA’s innovative offensive plays that he trotted out for the home crowd, or any of our “special” Special Teams play. The UGLY was being improperly prepared to go in and secure a win against a team who barely squeeked out a 2-0 start and could have been beaten and the serious injuries sustained. For all the hype and excitement, the fact remains that this time last year the Cards were 3-0 and this year we are 1-2. Does Steve Keim’s name ever go up on that accountability board because I agree that his firing of Ray Horton and subsequent purge of his players like Kerry Rhodes has cost the team to lose assets we are in need of? The Bucs are another good defense that I have a feeling we have underestimated and it looks like we are going to be without some of our key starters. We are a better team than showed up Sunday and bottom line is this loss I put on being out coached!

35. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Pressure

There was still significant pressure from the Saints.

36. By Eric G on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

The offensive line should be absolutely ashamed to call themselves professional athletes. They looked atrocious yesterday. They need to apologize to Palmer for the beating he took. At this rate, Stanton will be starting soon for an injured Palmer. Ugh, it’s 2012 all over again.

37. By joe67 on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

We all pretty much knew we wouild lay an egg sometime, with all the changes. so now we did it. Be patient and some good things are going to happen. Kind of agree with most of the comments about the D. Very predictable.

But 7-7 after one, 14-7 after two, and 17-7 after three. We were still in the game, and then wore down in the fourth. Not as big of a rout and score indicates. Still think we will get better and be okay.

38. By Chuck 1 on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Re: This 31-7 rout.

I’ve written several times that the Cards are a couple of years away from being competitive against the very good teams.

That is, ONLY if they have two good draft and Free Agent signing periods.

Otherwise, they will continue to have below .500 seasons.

39. By michael carl on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

I. Say that head coach bruce arians & our QB Carson Palmer should both be fired

40. By cert 33 on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

First of all, God Bless Dan Williams and his family! As for the Cards, just the fact that Keim & Arians somehow thought that Todd Bowles could adequately replace Ray Horton as DC cast doubt on their collective judgment in making decisions for this team. Also, how did Levi Brown survive the 53 man roster cut in the pre-season? The O-Line has not really improved much since being the worst in all of pro football last season but this season the Jaguars may actually be slightly worse. Our offensive play calling has definitely improved but the defense and defensive play calling is definitely worse than last season. It looks like both Bowles and Brown may need to be replaced if the team is to move forward from last season and somehow climb out of last place in the NFC West

41. By clssylssy on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Darren:
    Did Tyrann keep the ball he intercepted from Drew? I hope he did as that was something he’ll be able to tell his grandkids about. I think the NFL charges the players $500 to keep a ball and would think it was well worth the cost (as if the NFL needs the money!)
    For all the criticism that fans have of the players and coaches they should always remember that it is the front office who ultimately is responsible for the hiring so need to be held accountable…they are the first to accept the glory when the team does well and pulls out a win!
    Someone had commented that the team should have gone to NO on Friday to get comfortable and have a few practices which I totally agree with. This was TERRIBLE PLANNING AND PREPARATION and to worry about protecting the players from “distractions” is really infantalizing and insulting. There is such a thing as getting use to the lay of the land and being comfortable in a setting before the big lights come on and the home town crowd winds up. I have a terrible feeling that our coaches are seriously underestimating the Bucs defense that nearly beat the Saints (a matter of three yards). Also concerned about losing our starters and hardly see our problems being solved by getting rid of Fitz! For anyone who has been a Card fan for over a decade they know that knee jerk reactions followed by extreme measure are what have been the calling card of this organization and why players and coaches alike find success in a their careers after getting kicked to the curb by the Cards. (Nice win by Brian Hoyer and Ray Horton’s Browns over the Vikes)

42. By ored on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

time to gel,plays will develop quicker,this will also improve 3rd dwn efficiency and red zone production and improve qb protection.

we’ve clamped down on the opposing ground game,now we need to limit big pass plays without giving back what we’ve accomplished there.we still have soft spots,but they are known and the coaches are still working at it.if nothing else,this highlights areas for drafting and free agency,most of you have admitted at one time or another that next year will be the real test anyway,so just be patient with our growing pains this year and look forward to coop being back next season and some more exciting moves by keim.

it’s pretty obvious that what BA thinks and what he says are’nt always the same thing,that’s as it should be,he says the right words to encourage or up the competetive environment,but also does’nt give our game plan away either,he usually says the things that are already common knowledge without tipping his hand too much,just what you’d hope for from someone that’s been in the league for awhile.

i also think he can’t be too happy with our game plan for graham,but then again maybe we had few alternatives,but i think the more immediate concerns are,qb protection,3rd down/red zone production,and tackling,those are areas where we can improve on immediantly,sounds like it’s time to condense practice to these areas.

btw i also was disappointed in houslers production,lots of ink been written about his potential but very little to show.i know BA says he wants a vertical passing game,but maybe we should explore our new found ground game a bit more,that would give the offense more time playing together and a chance to really see just how far we can go with it,and if we became really good at it then it would open up the air waves.just seems that we’re not using the run enough,with all our backs we should be shooting for at least 100 ypg running and 300 through the air.

i know this is something difficult to control,but if we could at least have our interceptions happen on long passes into the end zone,not only does it give us a better chance for out jumping the db but also better chance of drawing the pass interference call,not to mention,if intecepted it could also be like a punt and touch back.

43. By Marcelof on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

I wasn’t expecting any less than a L for this game… ok, agreed but not with a poorly play like Cards had. We could have J Montana and Dan Marino playing with a football each and both would have to run and perform bad Throws. Come one Cards, this is like ancient wars, how can you attack being surrounded? You will defend forever till you get beat. Oline needs improvement and not only at LT. Untill then every win will be a casual win and every QB will look awful !!! Looking forward to next April.

44. By Corgon on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

What I don’t understand in our O is the playcalling. I’am not a football mainbrain, but after the first drive Fitz, Flyod and Andre had 7 targets (1 more was negated with a penalty) combined until that drive with the first INT. Of coure I can’t know what would be the plays when Palmer got sacked, but still…low number
    Brees fed Graham and Sproles all day long with the ball. Why? Because why not? They are the best players in the team.

Pass the ball to number 11!!!! How many years and QBs will take to get this simple thing. He has two pretty good WRs on his side to help.

By the way Rashad J. lost the top of his finger??? Ouch. Get well soon!

45. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Clssy –

RE: Mathieu ball

He said he didn’t care. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Darnell-Dockett-Breaks-Out/ee788fbe-b367-4a9d-b2d5-9ae0e9ca441f

46. By hminus on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

OUR RUNGAME IS FINE,(USE THE RUN TO SET UP THE PASS,)WE ABANDONED IT WAY TOO SOON,3-5 step drops ONLY,…our run game is a strength,IT WILL WORK IF YOU LET IT!!!

47. By KevinS on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Wow in reading this I had to check my calendar if it was 2012 with the comments made. I liked the Palmer is Kolb, actually he is less mobile, Palmer looked like Lindley out there in NO. Skelton given bad protection was far better !

One game does not make a season, bring on Tampa.

48. By louis on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

we need look for a new coach next year and daft a quarterback in the first round .

49. By Nick Pepe on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

Tough weekend for the entire Cardinal “family”. We lost a game to a very good team in not so pretty fashion. We lost a couple of linebackers for the season. And had a safety lose a portion of his finger. We lost two games on paper that we should all agree, going in we could probably lose.

I understand being frustrated. Upset. But what I really don’t understand is all the outrageous comments on social media outlets by so called fans and “#BirdGang members” that are throwing in the towel, bashing coaches, players, and play calling. Worse, I saw a couple people say that they were embarrassed to be a fan, embarrassed of the team.

I could understand if this team quit. I could understand if we were 1-12 and not putting up a fight against anyone. That’s not the case. I am proud that they fought hard. They tried to find a way to play as hard as possible through a difficult emotional weekend. I am proud of them for none used any excuse.

Embarrassing, that’s a strong statement in my opinion.

I understand being upset. I just as much as anyone wish we were 3-0.

I was angry yesterday at these people last night, those that bashed. Today not so much. I put things back into perspective. After all ,someone
    (one of our extended # BIRDGANG FAMILY) lost their father.

But through adversity comes character.

Thoughts and prayers to big DW and his family.

Nick Pepe
    Proud Lifetime Member
    Missing my Pop since ’94

50. By Dennis on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

If Rashard Johnson is out we should look at Kerry Rhodes, after all this guy made a lot of plays last year and I don’t think he has lost a step. There must be some underlying problem that the cards never let the fans know about.

51. By Nick Pepe on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

By the time Mr. Rhodes got up to football speed, Johnson would be back. Or so it sounds.

Also, there has to be a reason all 32 teams decided against.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

52. By ored on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

i’m thinking no team wants the scrutiny of rhodes supposed lifestyle choice in their locker room,chemistry can be difficult to obtain,as we are finding out,but to toss that into the mix might just be a tad too much to overcome,hard enough with the other vices constantly beckoning young wealthy bulletproof players.

53. By Coach K on Sep 23, 2013 | Reply

This loss is on B.A. Bruce panicked and got away from the balanced attack Palmer needs to be productive. There was no need to panic and give up on the run game, and short passes to the backs in the flats. B.A. went deep ball too often in the second half and this played right into the Saints hands. Palmer is not good in that situation. He needs a balanced offense to be productive. Especially with our offensive line woes.

This loss is on the play calling. Sorry B.A., I love ya, but you blew it by bailing on the run game and the swing passes to the backs too soon.

54. By monzz on Sep 24, 2013 | Reply

I had hoped with all the preseason hype we had a new coach a great QB( useless after three weeks) an expanded coaching staff(adding nothing) a new DC (so far seems lost) and lets not forget the new OC (if he is calling the plays we are all in trouble) no immagation so here we go, my guess 4-12, another lost season. We are beginning to see why BA has never been a HC. why Bowles was fired by philly and where did our no name OC came from. Oh heck personal friends get the picture?

55. By Eazy E on Oct 11, 2013 | Reply

Offense ain’t helping out the defense at all!