Fitz visits Revis Island

Posted by Darren Urban on September 26, 2013 – 3:04 pm

The last time — the only time — Larry Fitzgerald went to Revis Island, it wasn’t even an island yet. It was still just young, promising cornerback Darrelle Revis, like Fitzgerald a University of Pittsburgh product and No. 1 pick of the New York Jets. Fitz had eight catches for 122 yards that day in New York, but Revis had two interceptions of Kurt Warner — returning one for a touchdown — and two pass deflections. The Jets took a 34-0 lead at halftime and ended up with a 56-35 win. Revis’ first pick was intended for tight end Ben Patrick. His second was on the final play of the game, a pass thrown to Fitz that had little meaning behind it since just a few moments before, Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin had had his jaw shattered.

Fitz and Revis hadn’t had a chance to see each other since. Last year in New York, Revis had long been down with his torn knee ligament, and it’s not like the Jets’ defense needed help on Fitz given the Cards’ bad quarterback situation. The Cards scored just six points that day.

So now Fitzgerald gets a real chance at Revis Island when the Cards visit Tampa Bay, Revis’ new home, Sunday.

“This is the best defense in general we have faced all season,” Fitzgerald said. “Darelle is playing at an elite level as always. I don’t see any difference in his play.”

Revis has played since the opener coming off his knee surgery. He plays a Fitzgerald who is practicing fully this week after suffering his hamstring pull. Fitz had a team-best five catches and 64 yards in New Orleans, but certainly, it wouldn’t hurt if the Cards could use him more and surely, Fitz would like that himself.

“I know Larry very well,” Revis said. “I know him personally and it’s cool, it’s competition, I’ve played him before, a couple years ago. I’m excited he’s healthy and I’m excited he’s back (from injury), so it’s going to be fun. Whoever I line up on — You never know, I might not line up on Larry — but whatever the game plan is and what we’re doing is for us to execute a winning game.”

One interesting coincidence: The last time Fitzgerald and Revis played against each other? It came at the end of the Cardinals spending a week away from Arizona between games on the East coast — just like this week.

RevisIslandUSE

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Fitz visits Revis Island”

1. By PotAsh on Sep 26, 2013 | Reply

I got to meet Revis at the physical therapy rehab facility a couple months back while I was rehabbing from my ACL reconstruction surgery. Very nice guy, easy to talk to, and no airs about himself.

Wish him the best this game, but I still want my Cards to win!

2. By LG on Sep 26, 2013 | Reply

If the line blocks for Carson, fitz will turn revis island into a playground. lol they just got to give carson time in the picket at less 6 seconds.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 26, 2013 | Reply

I agree Darren that I want to see this match up.

But Revis’ comments are interesting that he will play in the defensive scheme. There has been rumblings that Revis is unhappy with all the zone coverage they have been playing.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

4. By georgiebird on Sep 26, 2013 | Reply

On a positive note (for a change). Sam Bradford may get a contract extension with the Rams.

5. By BluePitt on Sep 26, 2013 | Reply

Well this gives me a touch of excitement!!! If Palmer can get rid of the ball!!!!! I want to se Fitz VS Revis!!! I think Revis is going to be on Roberts or Floyd!! They are a bigger threat!!

6. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 27, 2013 | Reply

I say they double Fitz and put Reevis on Floyd one on one. Or they flip it and Double Floyd and put Reevis on Fitz. EIther way, it lets Housler and Roberts in single coverage. I look for one of them to have a big game if Carson can stop throwing interceptions.

7. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2013 | Reply

“:Best defense, in general, we faced all season”…doesn’t sounds encouraging and given the history the Cards have after trying to practice away from home on the east coast, topped with the Bucs coach stressing the importance of winning at home + Cardinal offensive issues and injuries = :(
    While the press has reported that Reevis isn’t happy with the defensive scheme and that there are serious problems between the GM and coach that may provide further eruptions to the team’s cohesiveness and could provide additional vulnerability for the Cards, I am just as worried about Carl Nicks and Vincent Jackson. The Cardinal offense just cannot play another game like they did against the Saints and while Rob Housler was fresh back after a lengthy absence, our TEs appear to be as weak as our 0-line. I think the aerial game is pretty much a bust and I hope BA isn’t so stubborn again as to insist on pursuing this avenue when it’s obvious that Palmer can’t release the ball fast enough and isn’t the physical player to run it. I think it’s kinda telling that when things go to Hell, they trot out Larry to offer assurances and encouragement to the fans as the voice of reason and honesty yet he is the one they are trying their darnest to sandbag and short-change in his contract. Hope our run game has teeth and we can figure out a way to score in the red zone. I was looking for Justin Bethel to deflect some of those kicks last week and hope we can pull some of those “brilliant” plays BA is so famous for while on the road and not just save them for the cameras at UofP stadiium. GOOD LUCK CARD!

8. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2013 | Reply

on a positive note…HOW ABOUT THAT ANQUAN BOLDIN! Got to be proud of former Cardinal players finding success when they got their early success with the Cards! We have had some great talent on this team, which seems to be our strength, just wish we knew how to develop and hang on to them or make this a place they want to stick around:)

9. By John The Draft Guy on Sep 27, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy,

From a couple of post ago. Thanks for educating me about Carl Nicks but you are absolutely wrong.

You claim Nicks hasn’t missed a game before this year (see link)

See the link, he has played one game this year and 7 last year for the Bucs NOT Saints.

After reading your post, it is obvious you have so little football knowledge and that may not be totally your fault. But dang, it is easy to look up a player profile before spewing out your nonsense.

The fact that Doug Martin is 2nd in the league in rushing says the bucs oline is good. As a rookie, Martin ran for over 1450 yrds. That unit can run block.

It is amazing that Martin was able to do what he has done with the great Carl Nicks out for 11 of the 19 games.
    Yes, the cards are going to worry about Nicks. Thanks for the insight.

10. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2013 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy:)
    Thanks for bringing me into the light, I do admit last year was a blur… Still hard too argue with a Superbowl ring, 2x Probowl, 2xAll Probowl, 2xMadden Most Valuable Protector Award, #76 NFL Top 100, 69 starts/72, granted they were mostly with the Saints…ya got me there…however do we have a GUARD that comes close to matching those creds? …just saying…Doug Martin is a RB NOT A GUARD. But, yes, you do have a point, the Bucs have some formidable weapons on both offense and defense and this game isn’t gonna be a walk in the park! I think Sean Payton is one of the best coaches in the league and Nicks got invaluable experience and skill under Payton that he has taken to the Bucs,,,my opinion. I also was one of a few who believed the Saints could be beaten last week, or at least we could have given them a good fight…again, I was mistaken!

11. By ored on Sep 27, 2013 | Reply

so far our run defense has been pretty good,so we can hang onto that and with a rookie qb starting,it looks good there also,so we probably are matching up well defensively,now time for our offense to get a little seperation.

the year nicks was on the market we were shopping oline also,i really wanted us to pick him up,but i guess his price tag was too high,saints did’nt want to let him go either,but it was his time to get paid,sad thing is we could have done his deal considering what we ended up spending in guards the last few years,his premium was’nt much over colledges,not even considering the wasted money on 9ers guard.and the time wasted trying to groom our own picks.gotta say,outside 1 good draft,we pretty much sucked drafting.

12. By Kevin S on Sep 28, 2013 | Reply

Sometimes there are 31-7 games where it’s not as bad as it looks, and 28-17 games where it is worse than it looks. This game, we were down by only a touchdown around two-thirds of the way through the game. The offense sputtered, no doubt. But we DID give the Saints a game for a good chunk of the day.

Many of the fans here are underestimating TB. Yeah, they’re 0-3, but they should’ve won the opener (silly personal foul to set up Jets’ FG) and but for a missed FG with a minute to go, likely would’ve beaten NO as well. Like us they’ve had one drubbing but they could easily be 2-1 and we’d all be talking about how this is a tough road game instead of expecting a win simply because they happened to have some bad luck in two winnable games. Benching Freeman should be a gift to us but you never know; they may rally around Glennon. We are the underdog in this game according to Vegas.

13. By Kevin S on Sep 28, 2013 | Reply

O/U is at 40 points. I think I’d take the under.

2. Sep 29, 2013: GAME DAY Coach’s Corner Updates, Injury Report, & Starts/Sits For Week 4 | Fantasy Football | The Fantasy Greek