Flashback with an Edge

Posted by Darren Urban on October 1, 2013 – 4:46 pm

Before we fully move past the trip to Florida and the week away, there was an Edge sighting Saturday night.

It was interesting, since the last time I saw Edgerrin James was in Tampa, in the aftermath of that difficult Super Bowl loss. Edge wasn’t in the locker room the next day when EdgeLamboUSEcleanout happened and he was cut a couple months later, not surprisingly, never to come back to the facility. But there he was Saturday night, coming out on the back patio of the Marriott Waterside to get Darnell Dockett. I happened to be sitting out there watching a college game, and I wasn’t going to say anything — but Edge, wearing a wide smile, coming over to say hello and shake hands.

He still has dreads but they are shorter than they were in 2008, but he still looks the same. Somehow, the Super Bowl week came up in the brief conversation and it wasn’t football. It was about the Lamborghini he bought that week as a gift to himself for making the game. The sporty white car (actual Edge Lambo pictured right) literally was delivered to the team hotel when the Cards arrived for the game and was parked out front all week.

These many years later, Edge said the dealer had wanted to have him take a test drive. Edge turned that down and bought it without having climbed into the seat. The funny thing is, Edge doesn’t have it anymore. He sold it. He said it rained too much in Miami to have it around.

Edge always was one of a kind. He was at the end of his career that season with the Cards, yet the Cards don’t make it to the Super Bowl without him in the postseason.

EdgePicUse

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “Flashback with an Edge”

1. By SteveG on Oct 1, 2013 | Reply

He was a rushin’ fool that post season (along with blocking as we have not seen since)….

2. By Jeffrock275 on Oct 1, 2013 | Reply

Yep Edge and Timmy will always have a place in my heart.

3. By Steve on Oct 1, 2013 | Reply

Prior to his first knee injury with the Colts he was probably the best all around RB that I had ever seen. I remember the year he came out for the draft it was reported that the Cards were interested in drafting him but Polian and the Colts got him and we took WR David Boston instead.

4. By Mr Robles on Oct 1, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren I cant seem to find why A Dub is on IR with the Pats. Do you know why?

5. By Chris Yount on Oct 1, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for that story. That year’s playoff run still means a lot to me. My wife and I went to Tampa to try to get into the SuperBowl – we had heard tickets were cheaper than ever. Only we never found anyone selling those “cheap” tickets(nothing under 2500/pc) so we watched the game with a crowd at a casino in Tampa. I have been a fan for a long time and still get misty thinking about that loss… Appreciate your coverage. Thanks for your hardwork, look forward to each and every piece you post. Sincerely, Chris Yount

________________________________

6. By Jim McFetridge on Oct 1, 2013 | Reply

Great flashback posting! Edge always gave his best & was an important impact player. What is he doing now in terms of career & his personal life?

7. By axaellugo on Oct 1, 2013 | Reply

Thank u James for helping the cardinal through our super bowl run! !! Will always remember you!

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 2, 2013 | Reply

Mr Robles –

RE: Wilson

I think it was hamstring but I am not sure they announced it.

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 2, 2013 | Reply

Jim –

RE: Edge now

I think he’s just hanging with his kids. Edge had his persona but he is an incredibly sharp guy. I’m sure he has a ton of money he is living off of, even if he did by a “Lambo” once in a while.

10. By cardsalltheway on Oct 2, 2013 | Reply

I understand why he sold it, it looks like it could float.

11. By Mr Robles on Oct 2, 2013 | Reply

I never found out either but thanks

12. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 3, 2013 | Reply

Edge was a one man running game for the Cardinals.

I will always remember a run he had during his time here where he broke 5 tackles just to get back to the line of scrimmage.

I always liked Edge and how he played for this organization. Thought he got a bum rap when he left.

But all water under the bridge now, good to see he will still talk to some old teammates

13. By Eazy E on Jan 30, 2014 | Reply