Cards make Smith a grumpy cat in Carolina

Posted by Darren Urban on October 7, 2013 – 4:50 pm

Sunday didn’t start well for Carolina veteran receiver Steve Smith when he dropped a sure touchdown pass on his team’s first drive. Smith would’ve beaten Patrick Peterson on the play. Smith ended up being targeted 10 times by quarterback Cam Newton, but he had just four catches for 60 yards. Peterson also made an interception in front of Smith (to be fair, the ball was well underthrown — seen below) and Smith was called for offensive pass interference on Peterson.

That latter call clearly did not sit well with Smith the day after.

“I got a (pass interference) penalty, which is very interesting,” Smith told the Charlotte Observer. “I got leg-humped and hugged a few times. Being a pretty good flag football player, I think I got my flag pulled on my jersey a few times,” Smith said. “I would say pretty much, I take that one on the chin and just say it was me. I’ve got to play better.”

Smith added he had a discussion with one of the officials. “He told me on my route (that) I felt like I got held, where (Peterson) had the back of my jersey and used that to slingshot his way through and bat the ball down,” Smith said. “He said he grabbed my jersey, he saw it, but he didn’t think it was enough that changed the course of the route.”

And then, talking about the Peterson play, Smith said, “It was pass interference in Mexico, Europe, rugby — in pretty much every other sport but in Arizona yesterday. But then when I pushed off it was pass interference.” Smith also called the official “garbage.”

Peterson was credited with three pass breakups in addition to his interception. According to profootballfocus.com, Peterson was targeted a total of nine times in the game, and he gave up three catches (for 48 yards). In his last two games, Peterson has given up four catches in 17 targets, according to PFF. Seven of the Carolina targets were for Smith, who had two catches for 37 yards against Peterson while Peterson knocked down a pass and got the pick.

“They were pretty much running everything we saw in practice all week,” Peterson said after the game. “We didn’t do a great job. We had a couple busts in the secondary which is unusual for us. We weren’t communicating the way we should.  But halftime, as a captain and a leader of the defense, I had to get the guys going. So we came out in the second half and played much better, much smarter Cardinal football.”

PPBlogSteveSmith

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Cards make Smith a grumpy cat in Carolina”

1. By Ricardo Cortes on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

Marcus mariota Arizona cardinals 2013!

2. By Steve on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Just out of curiosity, when the Cards decide to challenge a call, who in the booth actually looks at the play and then relays their opinion to BA on the field about whether to challenge or not, or is it several people?

3. By LG on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

You no what it’s funny that the hold first half of that game steve smith, cam newton, and the coach was smiling. steve drop the TD pass get up smiling.4 and 1 some dummy drop the ball wide open. him and the coach was on the side line smiling.they took the cardinals too lightly. so now after the can of whip a** they are mad.must was a long ride home for them LOL. steve smith should be mad at his dam self. sorry about yall dam luck the BIRDGANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

A few things;

Steve Smith – That article is Steve Smith being Steve Smith. His chip on his shoulder and everyone is against him is what makes him good. I wouldnt pay it any attention.

Palmer – I keep seeing people say Palmer should be replaced and even you Darren, made a mention of it. Have we not learned anything from the past 3 years? Rotating QBs is not the answer and there is a reason Palmer starts and Stanton does not. It has been 5 games and it is easy to see that there is more than just Palmer causing the passing game to fail.

Ellington – I loved Ellington coming out of the draft and he has been a bright spot on this team. But he is not a guy that can carry it 30 times. He looks good because of the way they are using him. Mendenhal has obviously held off Taylor and Williams.

Williams – Which, enough of the Williams talk. He obviously isnt impressing anyone. He is the 5th running back on the team. Arians has more faith in Smith than Williams.

DWash – 9 tackles, 1 int, 2 sacks.
    Dansby – 8 tackles, 1 pick, 2 sacks.
    Playmakers. I love when the LBs are the stars.

The 49ers are not the same team. Kaepernick seems confused and inaccurate. Stop Gore, PP on Boldin, and bracket Davis. If the let Davis match up one on one with Dansby, that will be a mistake. Do not get away from the run. Teams are running on the niners. A very tough matchup on the road but a possible win.

2-0 at home 1-2 on the road. 7-1 at home, 3-5 on the road, we are 10-6 and in the playoffs.

5. By CreditCard on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

Officiating is a part of the game. The NFLPA and league demands that players cannot degrade, demean or speak ill of officials publicly. They can file grievances with the league office. Officials are graded game by game and over a season. The best officials get to cover the more higher profile games such as the Thursday night, Sunday night and Monday night games. They also get the opportunity to officiate playoff games, as judged by their peers and the league office.

Poor officials get replaced. As an referee, I feel it can be one of the toughest jobs on the field. How well do you manage the game, understand the game, know the rules, doing all this w/o being noticed or having a bigger roll than the players.

The pay is horrible, hours are long, traveling demands, away from home and family. Aside from knowing the rules, you also need to be in decent physical condition. Again, a tough job, but rewarding — most players and coaches appreciate the officials. Without referees the game becomes nothing more than a glorified scrimmage.

6. By G Witt on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

Sounds like Smith has sour grapes.

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Replay booth

I’d have to check that out.

8. By mal on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

@LG — I saw the same thing: drop the TD pass and they laughed; drop the 4th down pass and they laughed. Now theyre crying. They took the Cards too lightly.

@JTDG — No fricking kidding! Lets stop the ‘replace Palmer’ talk. What a mess that would be. Havent the fans learned anything after the QB carosel we’re had the last 3 years?

And also, the NFC standings are realy bizarre so far. Just 9-7 might get someone in the playoffs this year.

9. By ored on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

i long for the day when we put 30+ points up consistently,defense and special teams setting up the offense and offense being productive and giving the defense some rest.then we’ll do more than just make the playoffs,we’ll make some noise.

10. By Ricardo Cortes on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

Wait 2014 I mean

11. By Dynosoar on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

John the Draft Guy,

what were your thoughts of Geno Smith against Atlanta tonight? Myself, I liked what I saw. I see what had you excited about him before the raft. That last drive was as exciting as Matt Flynn’s drive the previous 2 minutes. If we did decide to go for a QB, who do we take? For a RB, what do you think of Georgia’s #1? With Sowell’s performance (and it’s too early to really tell, do we still address LT?)

I love a good game and this Falcons/Jets game was as good as any I’ve ever watched. Good game or no…

I have one team and one team only. That’s the Cardinals.

I have four lists, my favorite team, the Cardinals.
    My second favorite, anyone playing the Cowboys
    The bottom dwellers, Cowboys, Giants, Steelers, 49ers and the Saints
    Everyone else is third.

Go Cardinals!

(Too bad Mr. Smith. PP is just that good. Like I said a few posts ago, if our inside LB’s do there job, our outside LB situation will not be a situation. Welcome back D-Wash. Welcome back. Dansby, good to have you home where you belong.)

12. By Dynosoar on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

My only difficulty in asking anyone to address the draft, we’re picking 32 so in each round we get whoever’s left. The best at each position will have been taken.

(Does this fall into the predictions I swore to abstain from, or just lighthearted fun and hopeful wishfulness?)

After what I’ve seen so far in highlights, (get to see and record the next two games, then if we win I’ll get to see more), I believe it’s possible and probable to make it into the playoffs as Division winners. I’ll update my opinion after the next two games as I’ll have a better grasp on the probability.

Here’s to draft pick #32.

13. By Rick on Oct 7, 2013 | Reply

Thats what happens when you go against the best corner in the league. Go Cards beat the WHINERS!!!

14. By Dave Chaney on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

We are 3-2 and probably should be 4-1. That said, this team is definitely better than the past couple of seasons and the multitude of changes in the off season is the reason why. I think Michael Bidwill deserves a pat on the back for taking a different approach than his dad did for many years. He obviously wants to win football games and make the hometown fans proud of their team. So hats off to MIchael and lets keep this winning attitude going. I’ll say it again…don’t you just LOVE our “D”!

15. By clssylssy on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

When I read the article Smith gave complaining about the refs in Arizona being”trash” I about feel out laughing! He stated that he practically felt “molested”by Patrick Peterson, being “leg hummed and hugged”…ROFLMAO! Who, self-respecting man says something like that to the press unless they are seeking attention? And, complaining about Patrick P of all people? I didn’t just fall off the pumkin wagon, have had kids and brothers who played football, grew up on it, and know what goes on in the pile sometimes but…really, national TV, and millions of viewers, man on man???…too funny and pathetic, but, certainly not anything to get defensive or outraged about. It’s football, stuff happens, wrong calls are made, it goes with the game and is part of “home field advantage”…LOL, players know this, ask them! Steve Smith was having a terrible day dropping the ball multiple times, but he wasn’t the only one on that team who was making errors and dropping the ball it was more they let the Cards (and the Birdgang) get inside their head and rattle them. Very Proud of our Birdgang and what they contributed to the win. Hopefully, UofP Stadium will become know as one of loudest and most difficult places to play in the NFL along with Seattle and KC. The Panthers are a tough team and nobody expected the Cards to roll over them like they did, but at least when we lose, our guys have enough self-respect that they lose like men and don’t run to the press with outrageous tall tales that make them a laughing stock!
    COME’N MAN,,,too funny!

16. By johnnybluenose on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

@CreditCard…re pay for NFL officials. I was at a game a few years ago and was close to the field watching the pre-game warm-up. One of the officials came over and spoke to some other guys who were standing next to me. It was obvious that the official was a friend of them. When the official left I asked the guys a few questions. I was told that the official had been in the league about ten or 12 years and that he was paid $14,000 a game. If that was true, and I don’t know if it is, that is pretty good pay for a part-time job.

17. By red bird of death! on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Palmer has to get going already c’mon people he looked strong in the first game then disappeared , what’s the problem besides Rob Droppler? Our defense is pure beast mode at its finest we have to stick with Palmer but I hope he dosnt stick it to us.Cmon Palmy don’t let this be your legacy you have a massive opportunity to redeem your entire career here, don’t muck it up!

18. By Jason on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I think you are too eager to say Williams is a done deal, remember that Mendenhall is on a 1 year deal and with the confidence issues that Williams may have, the injury bug that has plagued him and the fact that he doesn’t play special teams. It makes sense to keep him inactive. I don’t think his place is secure, but we also don’t know how he looks in practice or what the future of Mendy is in AZ…just sayin’

Dynosoar-

I think it would be a mistake for us as a team to address QB or RB early in the draft. Obviously, if the value is there then that is a different situation, but I think if you are looking at what we need it is still LT and pass rusher at the top of the list. If you want a sleeper QB that we could get 3 or 4th round check out the QB from Cornell…seems like he would be a ideal fit for Arians and coming from an Ivy league school he shouldn’t go high.

19. By D on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Observations from Panther game.
    C. Campbell is earning his big pay check.
    D. Wash improves the other players on defense.
    R. Housler appears to be a bust. Another TE selection in this spring’s draft will have to be made at the TE spot.
    The rookie RB is fun to watch in the open field. The other RB’s on the roster better step up their game, due to the lack of performance by the QB, this team needs to learn how to run the ball better if they want to save their Defense the rest of the year.
    Cards will have to draft a young QB this spring, I say by round 2.

20. By Kevin S on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

JTDG and mal –

Agree completely re: Palmer. We’re 3-2. Now is not the time to try out another QB just to experiment. Palmer needs to cut down on the INT’s, no doubt, but it should be obvious he is an improvement over what we’ve had. Is it possible Stanton would be just as good? I suppose, but I highly doubt he’d be markedly better, and you just don’t rotate a new QB in because a guy has had a couple sub-par games. (Two of which we won anyway.)

21. By mal on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

@Kevin S –

The thing is, you cant just stick Stanton in there and stop the plan right there. You have to prepare for the possibility Stanton is not better, or if he gets injured, then what? Then you throw Carson back in there after having benched him? It’s just crazy. As you say, we have a winning record!

And something I dont think some folks understand — I bet almost half of Palmer’s INT’s were due to guys running bad routes. I remember 2 or 3 picks where he threw to a spot but the tight ends either cut off their route or kept going without looking. That sort of mistake is usually not the QB. Even Larry hung him out to dry — he should have cut back to the first down stick, but he overshot by 4 of 5 yards. He had inside position and was set up to make the play, but Revis ran the route better than Larry and got the pick.

I’m not making excuses — Palmer needs to play much better — but it is not always his fault.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Yes, I think Geno is doing great for the Jets. He is exactly who I thought he was. Up till the point we traded for Palmer, I thought he would be a good pick. There is no denying that I really liked Landry Jones too.

Sowell played one game and I think he did well. But unless he strings together a healthy 12 games of good play, I would still be very interested in tacking a Tackle in round one. But what a huge, huge, huge thing it would be if the kid can be a solid LT.

Georgia doesn’t win national championships but they do produce solid pro players. I dont think I take a QB or RB in next years draft early. But if I did, I really like Todd Gurley of Georgia. I also love Aaron Murray of Georgia as QB. AJ Macarrens would be a solid pick at QB also.

With that being said, the cards are in position to pick who they feel is the best player available. OLB, DE, OT, QB, RB ? at this point it is too early to have any idea which direction they should go. But great defenses always have great LBs.

So if I could take a player for the cards next year it would be Anthony Barr of UCLA – OLB

Jason,

I am not giving up or writing Williams off.
    I am more addressing the constant messages asking why he isnt active or starting. The answer to that is he isn’t impressing the coaches enough or they dont trust him. The coaches trust Mendenhal and have developed trust in Ellington. But Williams has to do something in practice that would make the coaches take a chance on him and activate him. Obviously he has not done that.

23. By Kevin S on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

I agree about that mal — some of Palmer’s frustration on the sidelines suggests some communication/misunderstanding with receivers. If you’re a precision thrower and you’re throwing to a spot and the guy’s not there, whose fault is it?

Bottom line is, I don’t think he’s Warner; I don’t think he’s Rodgers; but he’s way better than what we’ve had recently.

24. By Chuck 1 on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,

I’ve thought that you were a level-headed rational guy.
    However, 10-6???
    No way Jose.
    Maybe 8-8.
    Do I wish that the Cards would go 17-2 (or, whatever it would take to win the SB)?
    Of course.

25. By Joseph on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Chuck1 – I have to agree we need a team besides the mercury and the Rattlers to win the big game.

I’m a home town guy that roots from my home town team. We need to really get this club back into shape. The Defense in my opinion was a beast this last Sunday. a Few mistakes but even the best defenses make mistakes. The last time the Cards won the big game was before there even was a superbowl… Lets get this party started!

26. By John The Draft Guy on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1,

Did I say 10-6. I dont think I said 10-6 (for all you Denny Green Fans)

10-6 is something to shoot for. 8-8 would be disappointing and 9-7 is where I think it is.

I think at home going 6-2 is realistic.

On the road, I do believe that the niners without Willis, Crabtree and Aldon Smith, are beatable. With Jax and Philly on the road, I think we could pull out 2 of those three games.

That puts us at 9-7. Which I think is what we do. One win extra, 10-6 one loss more 8-8.

We will see how we do this weekend.

27. By jasonc on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I agree with you that the coaches have more confidence in Mendenhall, my point is that neither Mendenhall or Williams play special teams which has more to do with Williams remaining inactive than any other factor. Add to that his recent injury bad luck and it would be a strategic move to rebuild his confidence and save his milage by going with Mendenhall whom you also have more confidence in. I’m not saying this is that plan, I’m just saying it makes sense to me.

28. By jasonc on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

I like Anthony Barr but it is my hope that we wont be picking high enough to secure his services. Khalil Mack from Buffalo is a pass rusher that should be in our pick range, plus he has an awesome name. Of course the Matthews/Lewan guys should be out of range as well and I’m not sold on Kouandijo…yet. Don’t know enough about Antonio Richardson or the kid from Florida State but those are a couple of names I’d keep an eye on. Is it too early to be thinking about the draft?

29. By Eazy E on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Damn Smith ethered the ref!