With 2014 schedule, London calling?

Posted by Darren Urban on October 8, 2013 – 3:03 pm

The NFL announced today that three teams will host games in London during the 2014 season: Jacksonville, Oakland and Atlanta. Why does that matter? Because you never know if the Cardinals could get picked to be the visiting team to a London game.

The Cards don’t play Jacksonville next season. But they do travel to Oakland, and with an away game at the “matching” NFC South team wherever they finish, there is a chance the Cardinals could have a road game in Atlanta next season — making then two of the three London games possible. We are far away from knowing for sure, of course, but it’s an interesting tidbit to chew on.

So, as long as we are discussion the 2014 opponents — because why wouldn’t you five games into the previous season — here is the list of the Cardinals’ schedule-to-be:

HOME

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

Kansas City Chiefs

San Diego Chargers

NFC North “like” finisher (If Cardinals finish in second place in division, for instance, they play the second-place team from NFCN)

Seattle Seahawks

San Francisco 49ers

St. Louis Rams

AWAY

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Denver Broncos

Oakland Raiders

NFC South “like” finisher

Seattle Seahawks

San Francisco 49ers

St. Louis Rams

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “With 2014 schedule, London calling?”

1. By John A. on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Wow,
    This schedule is interesting. The Cardinals will be making their first trip to Jerry’s World. Hopefully, we will beat them there too!

2. By Rob on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Obviously way too early to know anything about next season’s schedule, but it will probably be much more favorable to the Cards to play the NFC “Least” next year. Having said all that, this year’s “tough schedule” seems to be more doable every day with underachieving, overrated teams and injuries. It’s not out of the question for the Cards to get through this “tough stretch” of 4 games (@SF, Sea, Atl, Hou) at a 2-2 record. 5-4 with the Rams, Jags, Titans, and Eagles left as very winnable games against lesser opponents? Game-by-game mentality.

3. By andystandsup on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Chances of them having the same divisional slot as the Falcons are pretty slim – probably .0286 – since ATL won’t finish first.
    And “London Calling”? Nice, Darren.
    Feel like a punk that needs a rock clashed against my head for not getting it at first.

4. By clssylssy on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

This entire London experiment of Goodell’s is absurd and to rip fans off by designating one of their home games to be played in Europe is ludicrous unless the owners/league want to foot the bill to send season ticket holders across the pond so they can attend their “home” game. Travelling across multiple time zones, changing planes and dealing with the associated stress of such travel is exhausting for everybody and especially the team, who cannot expect to perform at their optimum level; apparently it is the penalty for being at the bottom of the barrel. Season tickets are already beyond the means of a lot of fans and having one less home game in a season that flies by so fast is beyond insult to injury. Europeans do not care as much about American football as they do Soccer or Rugby and to try to insert our Western past times into countries already struuggling economically, does not do anything for our image as anything other than greedy, self-serving ugly Americans. Hopefully, the Cardinal Organization will pass on this idea!

5. By MAKE-ME-GM! on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Urban,

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO OUR FRONT OFFICE!!

So whatever we just got from the Levi Brown trade we need to go ahead and offer that to Atlanta for TonyG!! I know it’s only a year contract, but he would be a huge difference maker in this offense. I think Housler is pressing and needs a HOF TE to teach him some tricks of the trade! Bring in Tony for a year and let him open up the middle for us!!! Your thoughts Urban?!?!?!?!?

6. By Scott H on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

I’m SO against these games played in London and believe the NFL is just out of control by adding more of them going forward. This is an AMERICAN sport and the fans in THIS country are what has made it the most successful pro sport on the planet. And the NFL is just showing how much it doesn’t care what we think because all it cares about is getting bigger and making more money. And, apparently, since there are people in London with money that hasn’t been made by the NFL yet, the NFL wants to make it theirs.’

Seriously, how will the fans in ANY NFL city feel when Sunday comes and ALL of the fun and enjoyment that goes along with a home game is just…gone because the NFL saw fit to give that game – one of only 8 prescious home games that city will have all year – to a bunch of people in London???

It’s just SOOOO wrong. As far as I’m concerned, if people in other countries want to see NFL games, they can get on a plane and come here. Period. If the NFL wants to offer those people some kind of special pricing on a travel package with tickets, I’m fine with that. But DO NOT take our games away from us.

And, frankly, I think most NFL teams would agree. I think these players and coaches probably want no part of making a trip to Europe where the trip is so much longer, the time zones are so much different, and everything around them is so un-familiar.

7. By Jon Taylor on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Really hope they do come to Wembley! I’ve been to the past 4 IS games and they have been great (and sell outs, showing the market). I have been fortunate enough to see the Cardinals in AZ once (Week 1 LY vs SEA) but travel costs are just too high to go again at the minute.

If the Cards do go to Wembley I’m definitely splashing out and getting premium seats and making sure I take in all of the festivities.

8. By Sean on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you Clssylssy! Not only is the idea absurd, but so is Rodger Goodell!!!
    He preaches safety, safety, safety out of his mouth, but all of his actions show he could care less about the players with, previous talk of going to an 18 game season & now crossing multiple time zones to play a damn game. It’s hard enough for teams out west to travel to the eastern time zone, but yet this fool wants teams to travel to London with a 7hr time difference….Pure ignorance Goodell. I’m all for growing the NFL, but not at the expense of the players safety & time away from their families. Many players have already said that if they put in a team in London, they will retire, with Ryan Clark of the Steelers being one of them. You think the commissioner would listen, but the only thing this idiot cares about is chasing the dollar or bothering the Redskins to change their name. Other than starting the NFL channel (which covers the same 3 teams while repeating the same 3 storys over & over), Goodell has done nothing but destroy this game!

9. By Dino on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

I really hope we play the Raiderettes & the Cowturds in the regular season next year! I got alot of $$$ to win against these two teams!! :) GO CARDINAAALS!!!!!!!!

10. By CreditCard on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

It appears the NFL is thinking of expansion. LA, Mexico City, Toronto, Birmingham, London, Berlin, are all on the NFL owners greed index. The London Sparrows, Berlin Dobermans, Toronto Reindeer, and of course the Mexico City Squirts all give shivers of fear running up and down my spine.

11. By Steve on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Pack your bags you could be going to London next year!

12. By Dynosoar on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy,

Spot on. Your thoughts are right, right, bloody well right. London has real futball, let’s keep our football here. I hadn’t thought of the rip off to season ticket holders.

John A,

I like the way you think.

Andystandsup,

And since they won’t finish first, we won’t play them I like the way you think as well.

I should sign off, I’m experiencing some thought control and thinking of writing some dark sarcasm in the blogroom.

Just so ya’ll know, this is not my Last Farewell.

(sorry, threes enough, or should that be eight?)

13. By Kevin S on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Clssylssy —

The players make enormous amounts of money because of football’s popularity. If the game becomes more popular globally, that means more money for both the owners and the players to split, and ultimately it’s the money that makes the players work so hard to play at the elite level to which we’ve grown accustomed. I don’t think one week where they fly across the Atlantic is such a huge imposition (they have plenty of time to adjust to the time zones and, as is often said about the Thursday night games, both teams are in the same boat. Also, London is only 5 hours ahead of New York… we expect teams to adjust to the three hours between the Eastern and Pacific time zones routinely; is it that big a deal to adjust a few more, when you have a week to do so — and they can schedule the bye week immediately after for the teams that play in London?)

The games in London sell out quickly… more than can be said for games in Jacksonville. The “economic struggles” argument is a red herring… if plenty of people in the US have enough money to spring for season tickets, certainly plenty of Brits have enough money to spring for a single game. How does it make Americans “greedy” to give some foreigners a product they want? Is Apple greedy because it sells iPads into foreign countries? (Your season ticket argument makes no sense either… in the first half of the sentence you talk about how season tickets are already beyond the means of a lot of fans, but then you follow that up by talking in the same sentence about how the loss of a home game adds insult to injury. Huh? One less home game to pay for makes it easier to afford season tickets if you are so inclined to purchase them.)

MLB has played games in Japan and next year will open in Australia. This is a smart strategy. The NFL ultimately plans to expand to London; they’ve got to whet the appetite over there before they can do that.

14. By Rick on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Forget all that lets get those whiners on Sunday.

15. By charley81 on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Hi,
    I’m not willing to heat things up here, but i’m a belgian guy and i’m sure i love as much the game as you do! The only thing is that,if i want to see a game of my beloved cards,i need to spend more then 1k dollars without a ticket for the game..I only can praise the fact that they want to host games in Europe.
    Here in Belgium we have a BFL(belgian football league)to. and i’m playing football myself. I think if you ask allround europe how many people like American football, you would be suprised of the numbers.So why not start to get this game to another continent.. It can only do good.

cheers!

16. By clssylssy on Oct 8, 2013 | Reply

Kevin…
    Obviously you’ve never had to endure the flight to Europe and have no idea of what the economy is like there. It is a far cry from the US. Players have been very vocal about their feelings against having to play in London and all players don’t make “enormous” amounts of money, they have families and enjoy being at home like most everyone else. American football has not proven to be successful in Europe in the past and is not the same as baseball; futbol in Europe is Soccer!
    Kudos to Coach Arians for his stance against the Cardinals appearance on “Hard Knocks”. Real fans want to watch football being played on the field and will tune into “The Days of Our Lives” if they want to see a soap opera. Thank you Coach for taking a step toward protecting the credibility and dignity of a sport loved by so many who have to sit by and watch it’s erosion before our eyes!

17. By Jen on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

I can totally understand why fans wouldn’t want to give up a home game, and I do have reservations about teams based out west travelling to London – but as an American living near London I will go and support the team it if they are to play here.

Most big sports are now working towards global branding and merchandising now. MLB, NBA, Premier League soccer, and even NCAA football – all of these leagues are holding games in other parts of the world regularly – the difference with football is that you have fewer home games per season, so the home fans do miss out.

The profile of the game has really picked up here in the last few years. Filling an 80,000 seat stadium full of ‘neutral’ fans twice a year is a pretty good achievement. As to whether there should be a team here? No, I don’t think so. The majority of NFL fans here already have a teams, and I don’ t think they will give up that loyalty to a new team, no matter where they are located. Plus, any team based overseas wil struggle to attract the best players.

18. By Carl Fisher on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

I love America, I love most of the people, but some of you are such insular fools. The reason your country gets a bad rep is not because you might be pushing a sport upon us in economic times of struggle, it is because you have the ridiculous “US”, “OUR”, mentality. It is embarrassing, and there is a world outside of your country, regardless of how much you are ever taught about it.

Yes you invented the sport (or should I see made alterations to an existing sport that was brought to you), but why be so protective of it, what are you afraid of. If it is so great, so wonderful, let the world be the judge. Obviously fans should be compensated and season ticket prices should be reduced, but in the long run, if this can help expand the sport, create more competition, and in the long run, more talent.

It may even get the NFL to get off its butt and think about developing some of their own talent developing strategies, and real programmes, rather than simply relying on high-school and college programmes doing all the work whilst the NFL gets the rewards.

Things change, the world is a smaller place, people are interested in the sport in other countries, embrace it.

If these “athletes” can’t handle sitting down on an airplane for a few hours, if that really is such a big struggle, 5 days before a game, perhaps they shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Wake up!

19. By Phil Lewis on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

I can see why people are mad, but as a Cardinals fan living in England whose loves his Football, I truly hope I can get so see my beloved Cardinals next season – either in London or possibly New York against the Giants (London to NYC flights are massively cheaper than to AZ)

Regarding time zones, London games are played int he late evening so kick off times are all ‘in sync’ so hope it would be nothing more than an extra bit of travel time.

If we play the Raiders, both teams will have similar time zone issues.

Personally, I don’t think a London Franchise could work for many of the reasons stated above. Also, In England, there are fans from all 32 teams who attend to watch football, not necessarily support the ‘home’ team.

I went to the Pats @ Rams game last year and it was fantastic, the atmosphere was incredible.

20. By Corgon on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Would be great! I’d buy the first ticket then!

21. By LadyBird04 on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Europeans don’t get “football” as we know it. Instead of giving away our season games, give them pre-season game. They won’t know the difference and the home team season ticket holders won’t feel like they were raped!

The Londoners will still buy the seats and the NFL will rake in the same amount of cash. Give them a couple of play-off teams from the year before and make everyone happy. It won’t effect the season and the NFL still gets to pocket the money.

22. By keko jones on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

A game against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day would be Great!!!

23. By Dynosoar on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Sean brought up the NFL network. Three seasons ago I was able to see our Cardinals play on the Tuesday and Wednesday night “Game Rewind” as they play the “best” games from the previous weeks play.

This was a wonderful thing as games my local networks will never play (The 49ers game is broadcast every week and at least one of the other games has the Broncos, Cowboys or Steelers, so there are teams I haven’t seen in years (Bills, Jaguars, Chiefs – although that could change)

They had two games Tuesday and one Wednesday (or vice versa).

Last season the network dropped the rewinds to two games.

Now the rewinds are down to one. And as Sean stated, its so they can play two more episodes of the daily rerun of Total Access which is the same show over and over and over again. Sometimes the same show is replayed several times over two days.

I would love to watch three or four rewind games each week, one game spotlights one or two of the darling teams and lesser favored teams are still never seen.

I wish I knew who to send my thoughts to at the network so it would be addressed and not just be tossed in the round filing cabinet. Anyone have any ideas or contacts?

24. By Bottletop86 on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

I completely understand fans who live locally to Arizona being very reluctant to playing the game abroad. However, as a Brit who has followed AZ since he was 10, I would friggin’ love to see the redbirds live. The popularity of the sport over here has taken off in recent years and there is a real hunger to see more of the game. I don’t think there should be a london franchise as some are calling for, simply because most Brits already have a team they root for, but having games over here is absolutely awesome. Having said that I would rather AZ didn’t have to give up a home game, simply because they would be more likely to lose.

25. By Kevin S on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Clssylssy — I’ve flown to Europe before. Yes, it’s a pain, but so is flying to Hawaii and I don’t hear people complaining about making the Pro Bowl. The players aren’t arriving on Saturday night and playing on Sunday; they have time to adjust. The comment someone made above about the “insular” nature of many Americans is spot on. Basketball was invented here, but has truly become a global sport (witness all the European players in the NBA). Football could grow similarly, but not if we don’t even want people to ever partake of a game. The NFL has been trying to drum up interest in football for years since the World League of American Football in the 90’s. Globalization — it is what it is. Get used to it.

In any case, I have no idea what your point is about the economic conditions; it’s not like anyone is putting a gun to the heads of the ticket buyers and forcing them to go. Obviously the people who buy the tickets can afford it. Should the Olympics not have been held in London in 2012 because of the struggling economy?

26. By Scott H on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Carl Fisher –

Excuse me, but if I become interested in a sport played another country but not in America, I don’t think I would be so self-centered and entitled as to expect that IT should come to ME. The NFL is available to anyone who wants to experience it. And if that means getting on a plane to come here, then I guess that’s just what it takes. If sitting on a plane for a few hours is no big deal, as per your point of view, then it should be no big deal for fans from other countries to do it, yes?

The cost / economical factors involved in this matter are a two-way street. And ya know what? There is a thing called fiscal responsibility, which means maybe we ( ALL of us ) just can’t have everything we may want if it’s not within our means. There are so many things I want to see in other countries that are just not gonna happen for me right now because of the cost involved. Know what? That’s reality. I accept it. Well, if people in London want to see NFL games but can’t afford to travel to see one because of the cost, well…that’s reality just the same. Big Ben isn’t coming here so I can see it.

Sometimes, things are just perfect the way they are. But when they get too big or when there is too much of it, it can start to lose it’s appeal and become diluted. The NFL – as much as I may love it – is starting to reach that point. You seem to be missing THAT aspect of this issue.

Be careful of referring to others as “insular fools” when you present yourself the way you do.

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Overseas play

What I don’t understand from your argument is the fact that the NFL wants to play games over there. It doesn’t cost the fan anything extra. The teams that are taking “home” games there often struggle to sell out. If you are a season ticket holder to one of those teams, you don’t pay for that game. So what is the issue?

28. By Carl Fisher on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Scott H –

I am not sure anything I said can be viewed as insular? Please explain where I have looked insular?

To void almost all of your points…I have been over on a few occasions for the sole purpose of watching the Cardinals, the SNF win against the Vikings in ’09, the Max Hall led win against the Saints, and the week before that I was at the game in San Diego, where we were beaten 41-7 or something. I will also be coming over next year for the game @ Denver, and a home game, regardless of whether the Cardinals play @ Raiders in London.

I have never demanded the game come over here, but if there is a demand for the sport, there is a desire to see it and have it grow, why are you so against that? If there is no demand, then you have nothing to worry about, it will remain an “American only” game as you wish. More demand, more interest, more talent.

Are you really expecting some kind of loyalty/sympathy from the NFL, or the Cardinals (a franchise of the NFL) as a fan? Let’s be honest here, the NFL is not a sport, Its a business in the sports sector, and the Cardinals and every other team are a franchise of that business. If that business see’s potential for growth, it will attack it. There is no room for loyalty, compassion, in the business world. The minute the Cardinals feel being in Glendale is no longer a feasible business, do you think out of loyalty they will hang around for the locals, those that have supported them? No, like they have already done, they will be out of there.

LadyBird04 –

Please, I and many other Europeans will likely get “football” a lot more than you suspect. I am up until 5am every Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night watching football, regardless of whether the Cardinals are playing the primetime game. I am up until 4am on a Saturday watching watching college football, even 7am if I can get the ASU game. I know football, as do many over here.

The NFL is a business, what’s best for the business will come first, always, if that means losing some loyal fans at the expense of gaining a lot of new ones, I think that is what they will do.

29. By Sean on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Darren U –

RE: Overseas play

1st: It does cost the fans if it’s their home game that’s going to London as they have to watch it on TV instead of in person.

2nd: The reason some of these teams may not be selling out is because they are so greedy that they are pricing the average person out of the game and are just about to the point where it will be a corporate only luxury soon, like the Super Bowl is now.

3rd: If other teams run their ticket office like the Cardinals, then they’re probably losing customers who they’ve turned their back on for one reason or another. For that I can give you an example of what has personally happened to me.
    I was a Cards season ticket holder from 91′ thru 2010 with my brother & my father. The reason I no longer have tix is because I was a week & a half late on my payment. Before you say it was my fault, let me give you a little background. For years I worked up on the slope of AK 2 weeks on 2 off & every year they would have to track me down for my ticket money which was never a big deal, as they never had anyone else to buy tickets & also because I had a great relationship with my account rep. The problem came when they moved into the new stadium. Once they moved into a new stadium & there became a demand for tickets, they pulled my seats right out from underneath me (1st set,visitor side 20yd line,15 rows back/2nd set, visitor side 50yd line 2nd row back) & did not offer the same courtesy that they did during the previous 19yrs when you couldn’t give a Cards ticket away!! Now what’s funny, is now that the Cards suck again over the last couple of years, they’ve been calling begging me to buy tix again, which I will never do again! As a matter of fact, I’ve been turning more towards college football & less towards the Cards/pro football because of the excessive greed & lack of loyalty.

4th: Are you or the league thinking about the players & the safety or competitive factor of traveling to a time zone 7hrs ahead? Either you have to go a week early, which is time away from home/families, or you go in like the Steelers & risk being tired which can lead to injuries &/or a non competitive game. Most of the players will tell you they don’t like it as well & some have gone as far as to say they will retire if we put a team overseas.

Bottom line is the NFL has a right to do what it thinks is in their best interest, & I have a consumer have a choice whether to buy, or watch that product & contribute to it’s success. As I said earlier, I am slowly weaning my way off the NFL as Goodell has done more harm to the game than good.

30. By Kevin S on Oct 11, 2013 | Reply

Scott H —

Re: your 2nd point, good NFL teams don’t have trouble selling out, and they’re usually the ones with the most expensive tickets. It’s not about the teams being “so greedy” that they can’t sell out; it’s about the fact that not that many people want to see a team like Jacksonville play, even if the tickets are relatively inexpensive compared to other teams.

Re: your 4th point, come on. These are professional athletes. The Cards had two East Coast road games in a row so Arians kept them out there. They are handsomely paid to pay 16 games; time away from families is part of the deal. A few extra hours to get to London shouldn’t be that big of a deal once a year for some teams. (Now, for the team that is actually BASED in London, if that ever comes to pass, they’re going to have some interesting issues. I suspect they’d try to jerry-rig the schedule so that that team plays 2-3 games in a row at home, then 2-3 games away, as opposed to having them fly back and forth each week.)

I always find it interesting when people say the players don’t like the idea. Which players? Sure, the stars who are going to make their millions anyway may not like it if the alternative is staying home or to a city an hour’s flight away instead. But if the NFL expands, that means, ultimately, more players making more money. If you’re a practice squad guy or a guy who barely makes the 53 on a team, you absolutely want more teams, because it gives you a much better shot at getting and keeping a job in the NFL, as opposed to toiling for much less in the CFL or Arena League or whatever. Don Fehr (the head of the MLBPA) once said that he’d be happy if baseball expanded to 50-60 teams — because it would mean a lot more guys making a living playing major league baseball.

I don’t agree with everything Roger Goodell does, but since he took over in 2006, the NFL has continued to grow in popularity.

2. Sep 29, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | For Cards, the lure of a London game