No worries for Hard Knocks rule, and more Arians

Posted by Darren Urban on October 9, 2013 – 1:33 pm

Bruce Arians on his weekly Sirius NFL radio appearance Tuesday night had said how much he didn’t like the concept of the Hard Knocks TV show — the show that follows a team through training camp and the preseason each year. The NFL passed rules Tuesday allowing the league to mandate a team to do the show if none volunteered, but there were caveats — including an exemption for any team which had made the playoffs in either of the previous two seasons. Arians certainly took notice when asked about Hard Knocks Wednesday.

“We’re gonna be in the playoffs so I don’t have to worry about it,” Arians said with a grin.

Asked if he would want to fight it if it was pushed the Cardinals’ way, Arians said “I don’t care.”

– Carson Palmer said he’d probably cut out throwing deep jump balls since they haven’t worked. But Arians said he wants to make sure Palmer walks the fine line between being smart and not being aggressive. “You don’t want to play scared,” Arians said. “You want to play smart.”

– Arians was asked about those who wondered if Todd Bowles would be an effective defensive coordinator. “I don’t know who would question it,” Arians said, adding, “If you’re talking about replacing Ray (Horton), there was never a doubt in my mind.”

– Arians talked about his disappointment with not being able to connect on those deep shots he is so fond of, calling it a combination of factors: Protection and coverage among them.

– 49ers WR Anquan Boldin said this game holds no special meaning to him anymore. Too much change, too much time has passed.

Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “No worries for Hard Knocks rule, and more Arians”

1. By Andy Kw on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Is it possible that QB Drew Stanton could start over QB Carson Palmer this month if Palmer continues to play like the way he did since week 2?

2. By hummer53 on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

By my count, there are only 7 guys left that played with Q on the Cards. No coaches I don’t believe either. Yea, everyone has pretty much moved on. Fitz, Karlos and Dock are probably only close friends left on team.

3. By D on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Do we think Mr. Keim will make additional moves by the trade deadline? I wonder if R. Williams or R. Massie could get any additional draft picks? (not sure why Massie fell out of favor with this coaching staff, I have seen Winston give up a sack or two so far this year)

I wonder how much longer before we see E. Watford start at Right G. Mr. Fanaika lately appears to be over matched….

My priority list for resigning:
    1-A. Roberts
    2- M. Shaughnessy
    We all know Peterson will get his deal next summer and a DWash bonus is going to be due…..

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Stanton

Anything is possible. I guess it’ll depend on circumstances.

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

D —

RE: Trades

I wouldn’t rule out any trades. But I don’t expect Massie to go anywhere.

6. By Eazy E on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for just helping the 49ers Carson about not being aggressive down the damn field! Hard Knocks go hard though.

7. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Have read the expression “silver lining” a few times as we are 3-2 and head into a very, very tough 4 games. In another post darren wrote:

“One thing Arians loves about his quarterback is Palmer’s ability to quickly get past the mistakes”.

I agree… I think Palmer has pressed to please Arians, with deep balls and otherwise, has had poor receiver routes and has not performed nearly as well as he will. But think about that pass to Housler that hit him in the hand and Housler never saw it. Think of a few Roberts drops. Think of what has seemed like poor route running by Larry.The offense is not clicking./. and may not for weeks.. here’s hoping we get to the break with 4 wins, and I will be popping buttons with with 5…

But I still think Palmer will lead us to the playoffs, with this very stout defense… we’re simply tougher up the middle and have more playmakers than last year.

Go Cards! ;)

8. By georgiebird on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Q is a great player but a liar- the game holds no special meaning? Q is not a Raven or a ‘9er, he’s a jilted Cardinal.

9. By Jim McFetridge on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Darren -When will Rob Housler break out & make an impact? He has speed power & size but has recently been unable to make important catches. What is the problem? Is he trying to play hurt? Jeff King was slower but had great hands and was a stronger blocker & fought for yards after the catch. When will Jeff King be healthy enough to play? What is your analysis on our tight ends? Your insights are always rational, fair and informative. Thanks for your outstanding journalism!

10. By CreditCard on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

The underlying problem is still the O-line. When Carolina rushed only 4 players and the Cards used 5 O-linemen, and one running backing pealing off after a block, and the Panthers still was in Palmer’s face. The math is simple, Panthers dropped 7 into coverage while the Cards sent 4 out for pass routes. Three players are always doubled covered.

Palmer, Stanton, or whoever doe not have ample time to make all their reads. The O-line (although improved slightly) is still below proficient.

Last year I sarcastically suggested the Cards sign Usane Bolt as their QB — if the line cannot protect for anymore tan 2.0 seconds — you need someone with world class speed as QB.

11. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

Looking forward to the game. Going to be at Candlestick with my #12 Jersey on. Hoping Palmer can have a good game. He is overdue. If not, then bench him and next man up. All I really want is a win. 49er fans have no respect for our team. So far 1-0 in the 2nd quarter of the season. with a win this week, we could be 2-0. Going to be a tough game. Like Dockett says, “IT’S PERSONAL” the niner can’t stand the Cardinals.

12. By James on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

The hell with Q,it’s time to turn the page(been time) and worry about the guys that are Cardinals right now!

13. By Wnycardfan on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

I. Would love to see Palmer get right this game. He needs it and so do we.

14. By ored on Oct 9, 2013 | Reply

pretty strong words,Q has his ring,i think just playing against old comrades and a divisional game are enough to motivate him,any ill feelings are probably gone by now,a return to the SB with yet another team should concern him most.why have negative reinforcement when there is much to be positive about…winning championships.

15. By Martin Z on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Palmer has me really worried. I’d rather see him take some chances then play “conservative” like he said he is going to do now. He said he would rather punt and give the other team bad field position. Is that the way a quarter back should be thinking? Hoping the defense will win the game? Not gonna work in this division.

16. By cardsalltheway on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Cardinals win this one in San Fran. and it’s time someone shuts down Boldin. I just wish Tyrann Mathieu and Co. could come up and stick Frank Gore or Kendall Hunter when either pops through the hole. Will Housler ever score a TD, or how about MIchael Floyd finally score one this year? D. Wash should be busy covering Vernon Davis unless we got someone else who thinks they can cover him?

17. By Noah on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Daren,

What do you think about potentially trading Ryan Williams to the Colts? It appears they could use Williams with Bradshaw going on IR. I don’t think they would want to give up any more draft picks but perhaps they have an OLB that they would be willing to part ways with… I only bring it up because I’d imagine that BA still has some open lines of communication with the Colts.

18. By shannon robinson on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

This is a great time to be a Cardinals fan. There’s nothing like the experience of being in an NFL Stadium with the game on the line and you have a quarterback who can make the great TD throw when it matters! What do we all now say and sometimes yell when our team breaks the huddle? “Give him time!” Maybe we should just really enjoy the ride, cause folks it’s been a long time since that prayer made any difference. What an advantage we have with Coach Arians calling the plays and Carson throwing the long ball, the twenty to thirty yard shots. We Cards Fans all know it’s coming – that WR/TE connection that’s now an ‘almost’ instead of the ‘no chance’ we’ve been living with since Kurt. Wow, BA is right,Carson Palmer is the real deal.

19. By jakeplummersghost on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Q is lying through his teeth. Fitz, the guy who outshined him and got paid more than him – also his friend – is still here and the face of the franchise that Q was supposed to be. Dock is here, Campbell is here, Dansby is here, Sendlein is here. Those are all the 2009 or earlier Cards I can think of, but they have all been team captains at some point, and Anquan certainly knows them – we brought him into this league.

As you always mention, Darren, Q is careful to never say what he’s really thinking – with a chuckle.

20. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

georgiebird: lol true, Q is a liar… “he hate me” lol

21. By Hammy on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Who cares about Hard Knocks? What we need to talk about is Andre Ellington and Larry Fitzgerald. How can you have two dynamic playmakers and not manage to get them the football. Ellington needs to start and Palmer needs to get Larry the damn ball. Larry is still one of the top wideouts in the league. And another thing, I have been a Cards fan since I could burp and fart and we have never had a constant threat on offense like we do in Fitz. BRUCE please please hear me out! Get FITZ and ELLINGTON the ball point blank! Lets get that win on Sunday! BIRDGANG BABY!

22. By Darren Urban on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Jim —

RE: Housler

I’m not sure what the issue is, but obviously the clock ticks on Rob. People have had expectations on him for a while. He’s not on the injury list, so I don’t think it’s the ankle.

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

Noah —

RE: Williams trade

I’m sure they would listen if the Colts called but after trading for a RB, I don’t see why they would trade for another. For a first-round pick. Richardson better give me 25 carries a game if needed.

24. By Eric G on Oct 10, 2013 | Reply

The reason why Boldin left is still evident, he couldn’t handle being in the shadow of Fitz. He left the Cards, I’ve forgotten him. Now lets go out and beat those 9ers.