Abraham loves quarterbacks. Seriously.

Posted by Darren Urban on October 21, 2013 – 3:50 pm

Veteran pass rusher John Abraham held court today, talking a lot about playing his former team the Falcons this week and finally getting his first sacks as a Cardinal (although teammate Calais Campbell said Abraham should have about eight by now if he could’ve converted his near-misses). Clearly he is happier about playing more. It wasn’t easy for him just to be situational, because it was difficult to get in the flow of the game.

“My old coach Ray Hamilton, he always said, ‘John, you gonna be a third down rusher?’ I was like, ‘Hell no,’ ” Abraham said. “I said, ‘You understand, I’ve got to come in one play and be ready, and this guy (blocking) is lathered up and ready to go.’ It’s tough.”

Abraham doesn’t have any love lost for those guys trying to block him. But he holds no ill will toward the quarterbacks he takes down — 124 total sacks now in his career — and when he was asked about the chance to get to former teammate Matt Ryan this weekend, Abraham smiled.

“I promise you it’s not that serious,” he said. “I worry about the person in front of me. I worry about the tackles and I know the (Atlanta) tackles really good. Everyone says, ‘John, you hate quarterbacks?’ No. I love them. They are why I got paid. If I meet them, I’m having a good day, right? I just don’t like the guys in front of me: tight ends, tackles. They aggravate the hell out of me. Quarterbacks, they are fine.”

Tags:

7 Responses to “Abraham loves quarterbacks. Seriously.”

1. By Brett n Co. on Oct 21, 2013 | Reply

Go get them!! Double nickels

2. By Rio on Oct 21, 2013 | Reply

coach B. A.NEEDS TO STOP PROTECTING and making excuses for palmer, Palmer should have had aleast two more intercetions last week ,but the defence drop them. he is always throwing into double or tripel coverage,

coaches boys power#25 , Palmer, and our #1 running back who is gaining about 4 feet per carrie.
    why not try someone else coach .What do u have to lose we have no offence now.

I thought you said there was a door number two.You getting real close to BUDDY RYAN JUST BULL CRAP.

3. By georgiebird on Oct 21, 2013 | Reply

I find a story on John Abraham so bitter sweet . It’s sweet in that John has come in here and made a good contribution and has become a vocal leader. But it’s bitter in that guys like Will Davis, Cody Brown, OB, and many others have failed to break through requiring the need to pick up guys like John and Joey Porter.

4. By Dynosoar on Oct 22, 2013 | Reply

Our defense has definitely been upping the havoc level. I now want to see our offense up the scoring level.

I was watching Andrew Luck the other night and on third down, he was throwing for first downs. It’s time we have a quarterback that has this focus, convert third downs. I don’t know if it’s play calling, route running or quarterback play and I don’t care.

Convert third down. Let’s help the coaches coach the team. Let them know we know what their focus should be. Converting third downs.

We should begin a chant on every third down, “Convert, Convert, Convert! – Convert, Convert, Convert! – First Down! Touchdown! (and repeat) Convert, Convert, Convert! – Convert, Convert, Convert! – First Down! Touchdown! ”

I really like what our defense is doing. We’re tied at 13th for number of sacks with 19 total. Only Seattle has more in our division with 23 (KC has 35, no wonder they’re undefeated.) – We need more sacks.

Interestingly, we’re tied with Seattle giving up 20 sacks and both San Francisco & St. Louis have allowed fewer. We’re in a four way tie for sacks allowed at 21st. – We need to allow fewer sacks (There’s a three way tie for 1st with only 9 allowed.)

Let’s have a chant on third downs. Let’s convert third downs. Let’s win games.

5. By ored on Oct 22, 2013 | Reply

also would like to win the turnover battle each game and score tds everytime in the redone.

6. By clssylssy on Oct 23, 2013 | Reply

Abraham has been a breath of fresh air and a gift from the Falcons, who, I’m sure have had a their regrets. This week he will get an opportunity to go up against not only Matty Ice but also one of the best TEs ever, Tony Gonzalez so we can only hope that he can send a message to his former team that he is not only grateful to be given the opportunity to play but happy to be wearing Cardinal red. While the Falcons have struggled somewhat and have not been the team critics thought they would be, I hope we don’t go into Atlanta believing this to be a slam dunk. Steven Jackson will probably be back and has proven to be a nightmare for the Cards in the past, and this is a better offense than he was playing with the Rams. Matt Ryan is in a different league of QBs than Carson Palmer (was nominated for Ground Player of the Week last week) and Tony G is still making TDs and holds every TE record in the NFL, still playing as a level that makes him anywhere from #2-#6 on the NFL’s Top 10 TEs. This Atlanta Team is loaded with talent both with their aerial game as well as their ground game and their defense is as good as ours. Two of their assistant coaches coached with BA and Todd Bowles back in their days with The Browns, and while the Cards will have the home field advantage, Coach Mike Smith has a 23-19 record on the road and has won 5 of the last 6 matchups between the two teams. It makes me nervous when I keep hearing how “winnable” these next few games are as that was the same rhetoric we were hearing about the 9ers and Seahawks and it would appear we missed some key points in underestimating our opponents or overestimating our ability. While all games are technically “winnable” we need better preparation and execution and if the gimmicks aren’t working, perhaps a return to sound fundamentals would be in order. Rather than turning Larry into Reggie Wayne or having Patrick Peterson play every position on both sides of the ball, perhaps playing to their strengths instead of spreading them out so much would be more effective. Las Vegas has this game pretty even with the Falcons slightly on top however, if we play like we did against the Panthers, I believe we might have a shot. Glad to hear we will have Calais in good shape and best wishes to Abraham for a REALLY GOOD GAME! GO CARDS! STAY FOCUSED!

7. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 23, 2013 | Reply

I just want a W. Get back to 4-4 and move on from there. The pass rush is better than average but not exceptional. I can live with that. Our O-line better step up. But who wants to block for a QB that can’t make reads or deliver the ball. Carson Palmer, Step up your game. True you are no Andrew Luck, you should be better with more experience. Now lets get after Mattie Ice and beat Atlanta..
    4-4 would not be bad for the midpoint of the season. I still think we could make the playoffs if Palmer gets his act together. I cant stand him but BA is not going to make a change so we might as well roll with him. I’m hoping for a 10-6 or 9-7 season. Getting to 4-4 is the start.