• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp
  • Sun., May. 25, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

Mac’s last speech

Posted by Darren Urban on October 24, 2013 – 5:19 pm

It was the last day of the 2003 season, and the Cardinals shocked the NFL — and certainly, the Vikings — when they rallied from an 11-point deficit with less than two minutes to go by winning on a Hail Mary TD pass from Josh McCown to Nate Poole. I was thinking about it again now that McCown, after his long roller-coaster ride of an NFL career, is starting for the Bears after Jay Cutler’s groin injury.

Back in 2003, though, McCown was getting a shot at what everyone knew was the end of the Dave McGinnis coaching tenure. McCown not only survived, he impressed new coach Denny Green enough to be the quarterback choice the next year over some impressive potential draft picks (and notably allowing the Cards to pick Larry Fitzgerald.) As it was, McCown made sure the Cards didn’t get (cost them?) the No. 1 overall pick and Eli Manning when he crushed the Vikings’ hopes and dreams in 2003 with his Poole pass.

(You can see the end of the game right here. Be sure to notice my radio broadcast partner Damien Anderson, who recovers the onside kick to even give the Cards a chance to make their game-winning drive.)

But I digress. The NFL Network, on its 10th anniversary, has made available to teams a handful of historical clips, and I happened to notice one in the system that I had never seen before. It was McGinnis’ locker room speech after that emotional Vikings win. I had never seen it before. Pretty powerful stuff. It was cool to step back in time, to see all those players I used to cover (Anderson sneaks into the Mac video too, just off to the left of the screen, as does current front office man Josh Scobey.) No one says it, but everyone knows it’s goodbye.

“You’ve got my heart. You’ve got my heart.”

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Mac’s last speech”

1. By hummer53 on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

Wow. Thank you D for posting this. All us long time Cardinal fans have a place in out heart for Coach Mac. He deserved to have better records and so glad he is still in the league we all love. Kind of silly to tear up over a 10 year old clip but I did.

2. By clssylssy on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

Wow! Thanks for sharing that Darren. Few people who are spectators ever truly grasp the love, respect, and trust that are so much a part of the bond between player and coach which makes constant transitioning more difficult than just changing shoes. I remember Coach McGinnis and it’s kinda special to get an opportunity to go back and relive the old days, the bitter and the sweet. Probably sounds strange but I have some very fond memories of those days at Sun Devil Stadium.

3. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

Good stuff! Thank you Darren!

4. By georgiebird on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

Very nice piece. Mac was a good guy. He didn’t have the new stadium, the top rate practice facilities and the open pocket book like his successors.
    Mac never did get another HC job but he has stayed in the game.
    He was a good defensive coordinator.
    The Cardinals’ HCs have not won much but they have almost always been decent men of high character.

5. By Chris on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

I remember Coach Mac. I loved that guy. He had heart like nobody else and it shows in that video. I always though McCown got a rough shake. I think he could have been a competent NFL QB with a better shot.

6. By Jon on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

Wow, I didn’t think it was possible to like Coach Mac any more than I already did, but apparently it is. Still miss that guy.

7. By deb rockwell on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

wow….wow wow… made me cry.Tears still…What an awesome heartfelt speech..I always liked him..

8. By David Hamilton on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

Wow!!! This is why I love this game! Mac didn’t lead the Cards to “the promised land”, but every man in that room will remember that moment for the rest of their lives! Do you think “the moment” will/has inspired Nate Poole at any time since then, when he’s faced some kind of adversity or challenge? I’m a high school teacher (History & Special Ed.) and football coach in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. I hope my words some day may, in some small way, inspire and help a young boy as he moves along the path to being a young man and then a mature adult male.
    Have a good night.

9. By jakeplummersghost on Oct 24, 2013 | Reply

I remember them showing this on NFL network about 2 weeks after the game. Thanks for the video!

10. By louis on Oct 25, 2013 | Reply

if we lose sunday we need to fire the whole coaching staff we will lose .

11. By Peter in Canada on Oct 25, 2013 | Reply

@Louis After game1 on the road we have lost to NO SF and Seattle, elite teams all. With their injuries Atlanta are nowhere near elite and the game is in Phoenix. We will not lose and the coaches’ jobs will be saved. Hallelujah!

12. By D on Oct 25, 2013 | Reply

Good thing we won and didn’t have a chance at Eli, he stinks this year! (ha ha)

Okay, since everyone is throwing trade scenarios out there regardless of cap space….here is mine….Cards send R. Williams and a 6th round draft pick to JVille for MJD!

13. By azdesertrat1953 on Oct 25, 2013 | Reply

If that clip does not bring a tear to every eye, you are not much of a Fan of Football or the AZ Cardinals.

Love You Mac!!!

GO CARDS!!!

14. By ored on Oct 25, 2013 | Reply

great stuff,now we wait to see what sunday brings AND if there is a surprise trade following,just love the suspense now that we never know when and where we are a player in trades and acquisitions.
    still amped that CC is helping our o-line and holds out hope,if we just get that fixed then dominoes start falling into place,imo,we just need to make our weakest link into a strength.

15. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 26, 2013 | Reply

Best part of that play, and Boldin tackling Poole to the ground in celebration, LOL

16. By D on Oct 27, 2013 | Reply

I always think of the “Roll Call to the Ball!” and “One Heartbeat”.

Here’s some old ’98 week 17 footage with the “Roll call to the ball!”