• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

On time off and avoiding the Tasers

Posted by Darren Urban on October 30, 2013 – 1:07 pm

The Cardinals broke up for the bye weekend today. That’s four days off for the players — practice resumes Monday — and Coach Bruce Arians had the same message for his guys that every coach ever has — Don’t get into trouble. Even if he might relay it a little more colorfully.

“Too many times when a guy gets a day off, he gets tased in Miami, South Beach or something,” Arians said. “We don’t want any of that stuff. We don’t want any distractions.”

The Cardinals did have a Navy SEAL speaking to them today. The theme, Arians said, was the difference between resting and reloading during this break. “Hopefully we come back Monday at practice and we are ready,” Arians said. “Don’t be ‘The Guy.’ “

– Here’s a little surprise: Patrick Peterson would rather not have a bye week at all.

“I wouldn’t necessarily call this one the perfect time because I’m not ready to take a break yet,” Peterson said. “I’m ready to keep playing football. We had a great win here Sunday, a big victory that was well-deserving and well-needed for this football team to get our momentum going into the second half of the season. But me, personally, if we can play 16 weeks straight I’m all for it. I don’t like taking breaks. I love this game too much.”

It was pointed out that he might have some teammates that would feel quite differently.

“Yeah, that’s why I said if it was up to me,” Peterson added. “Obviously those guys will definitely love to take a break when it’s well-needed. At some point in time your body will need a break, but I consider myself as a warrior. I’m always ready to go.”

– The Cardinals practiced in full pads Wednesday, even if it wasn’t a long workout (running back Rashard Mendenhall and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald sat out, not unexpectedly.) “It was a practice basically designed for young players to prove they can play if the opportunity arises,” Arians said. “If they are busting assignments on generic stuff, then they are in trouble, and we had some of that.”

– Arians said he will “probably” watch the Houston game against the Colts, which makes sense given the Cards play the Texans a week from Sunday and then the Colts Nov. 24.

– Arians will also take part in the a charity event for The Arians Family Foundation, a miniature golf event held at Golfland (155 W. Hampton Ave., Mesa, 85210) Sunday. The inaugural Putt Putt 4 Purpose event, presented by PRO Sports Realty, will start at 3 p.m. For more information, e-mail john@cmpr.net. Among the players scheduled to attend: Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, Darnell Dockett, Karlos Dansby, Carson Palmer and Daryl Washington.

Tags: , , , ,

22 Responses to “On time off and avoiding the Tasers”

1. By Mike G on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–I think the bye week comes at a good time for the team. Gives Fitz, Mendenhall and others a chance to rest those nagging injuries. In the past the team had byes much earlier in the season which I think is a disadvantage. Week 8 is perfect—right smack in the middle in the season. This gives the team a chance to re-group and get ready for the stretch run and hopefully challenge for a playoff spot. Hey Darren– Off topic–How is Bill Bidwill doing these days??? Is he still at the Card’s facility on a daily basis???? I know he is getting up there in years–but I know he loves his football.

2. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Bill Bidwill

Saw him today, in fact.

3. By georgiebird on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

I think all the messaging about staying clean during the bye is in large part directed at Tyrann Mathieu. Tyrann has done a great job both on an off the field. But another way to look at the bye week is to refer to it as a “near occasion of sin”.

4. By jstn on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

no rest for the wicked, i expect the cards to be faster, meaner and smarter off this bye!!! Last 8 games, 6-2!!! Both wildcards will be in the west!!

5. By Big Ken on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

Speaking of getting into trouble. Check out the piece in Profootballtalk about Jonathan Martin right tackle for the Miami Dolphins going AWOL. Didn’t the Cardinals get criticized for not drafting him? The guy sounds like he lost it. I think the Cards overall are in pretty good shape. Stay loose and have fun playing.

6. By cardcor on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

@ Georgiebird:
    Really dude? Give it a REST….There are TONS of NFL players in their early 20′s that could use a reminder like that before 4 days off. It sucks that people like you are sitting there waiting and salivating at the prospect that Mathieu might make one false step so you can say… I TOLD YOU…! I TOLD YOU!

7. By Rich on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

Are Andre Roberts, Dan Williams, Sam Acho, and Rob Housler…..unrestricted after this season?
    Rich

8. By clssylssy on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

It’s good to be rested but it seems like the team is just developing a rhythm and starting to synch up with a good momentum going. Our players just had a “long” week off following a short one playing a big game; to have the bye sort of worries me but not because I have any doubts about our players judgement but rather because I hate to see the “fire” go out only to have to be stoked all over again. In past years, it seems that we’ve come back kinda sluggish and it’s too far into the season already to lose any time finding our groove. Hope everyone can recoop from their injuries, rest up, and come back refreshed and ready to kick down some doors! Be Safe and Be Ready to Go!

9. By ored on Oct 30, 2013 | Reply

i think tyrann has had enough of living the fast lane off the field,he can look back and see whats at stake and just a poor decision or two and he could lose it all,not toeven think of letting everyone down,you can tell by the way players talk about him that he’s a respected part of the team and they count on him.i think he’s turned the corner and what were stumbling blocks are now strengths,much props HB,it still amazes me he is as effective at his size,i always rooted for you dude,just was’nt sure your body could handle it.now if ellington keeps progressing,the two smallest rookies might be the best,who would’ve thunk.

10. By Lifetime Fan on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

Tyrann smoked weed…and they kicked him out of football! That’s more LSU’s bad than his in my opinion.

11. By driftwood91 on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

Georgiebird, get outta here with that nonsense.

12. By beardinals on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

They should have a giant sign at the exit of the locker room that reads: “NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER MIDNIGHT”

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

Rich -

RE: FAs

Only Roberts will be a FA.

14. By G Witt on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

Really Georgiebird?? Who MISSED 4 GAMES for domestic violence?? It certainally wasn’t Tyrann. He has made a few mistakes in his past, but it looks like he’s on the straight and narrow now. He has better influences and role models in his life now..

15. By CORMAC on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

I personally feel like its a good time for the bye. Perhaps its a bit early, but do you want to take the chance of being on fire at the end of the year, and then take a bye and lose the MoJo? Straight run to the Superbowl….:O)

We will be a wild card so while everyone rests we will have one extra game to sharpen our skills. The offense will be a fine blade by then. Teams will be crushed by the Cardinals Hammer and Anvil. ( Offense & Defense )

GO CARDS!!!

16. By Matthew Thomas on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

I just hope that when offseason begins we may be able 2 resign Patrick Peterson back?

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

G Witt –

RE: Domestic violence

No Cardinal has missed four games for domestic violence. Careful with what you are throwing around out there.

18. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

Lifetime Fan, Please consider:

Honey Badger had the weed in his mouth, mistake was his. Also credit is his for cleaning it up, which is where I think you were headed? Its not about the mistake so much as how you deal with it. Proud of the Badger, but no free pass for his mistakes.

Same with DWash.. lets see if they stay on right side of things, praying for their well being this Halloween.

Cards on verge.. of great finish or.. not… lol, that’s why they play the games, “we shall see” ;)

19. By Lifetime Fan on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

@bearardinals it is 2 am man…a lot of good things happen after midnight, like watching the ball drop!

20. By G Witt on Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I stand corrected please accept my apology.

21. By cardsalltheway on Nov 1, 2013 | Reply

“Reload”

Nice choice of words Navy Seal, are the players off to the shooting range now or what?

If not, then a better choice might have been to “refresh, rejuvenate, replenish, revitalize” etc…Is “reload” suppose to be cool or what?

22. By clssylssy on Nov 1, 2013 | Reply

Props to Tyrann and HUM BUG to all those hypocrites who love to judge others…not your job! People who live in glass houses etc…The Cards have always been a team that was pretty wholesome and a good environment for young players to get their start, which is something, I think, we all can be proud of. Good job to Tyrann for turning a corner and being able to develop his God given gifts. (Sorry if my choice of words weren’t PC and offended some). I would like to see more of our players showing up as the “Player of the Week” (or rookie, whatever) and being recognized for their contributions on the field. GOOD JOB from where I sit in my alternate universe! LOL!