With Sowell ill, left tackle in limbo

Posted by Darren Urban on November 7, 2013 – 2:23 pm

Starting left tackle Bradley Sowell missed practice for a second straight day Thursday because of an illness — offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin said he didn’t know exactly what it was, but since it is flu season, that was the assumption he was making — and left Nate Potter to take snaps at the starter at the position. Goodwin said he does think Sowell will return to practice Friday, but there is still an unknown of whether Sowell will be prepared to go Sunday or if the Cards will have to turn to Potter.

“It is what it is,” Goodwin said. “I’m sure he’ll be here (Friday) and we’ll give it a whirl, see where he’s at. If he’s not ready, Potter is up.”

Backup right tackle Bobby Massie was also missing Thursday for a non-injury related reason.

Goodwin said Potter has been “good” working at tackle — he had been playing backup guard prior to the Levi Brown trade — and quietly goes about his business. “I have confidence in him if he has to play,” Goodwin said, adding “Missing two days of practice hopefully hasn’t affected him too much. Hopefully he’s been studying.”

SowellshotUSE

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “With Sowell ill, left tackle in limbo”

1. By JAKE on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

Big Bad Brad will be there with a vengeance!

2. By clssylssy on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

Doesn’t sound good for the Cards offense which is going to be critical going into the tough part of our schedule. Even if Sowell practices on Friday, he’s still pretty new and if he’s been sick may lack the stamina needed for this game against the Texans. Will be hoping for the best but not taking this Texas team for granted as a slam dunk. The 0-line definitely needs to be a priority and it’s too bad Keim can’t pick up some depth here. Good luck Cards, gonna need the Big Boy Pads on Sunday! Looking forward to another great matchup in Phoenix before heading to Florida and it’s toxic atmosphere:(

3. By georgiebird on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

It’s up to Palmer to play a crisper game. All over the league, the OLs are getting beat by the speed defenses. In Seattle, SF and on other good teams the QBs are making plays when (not if) the OL fails. Can Palmer be a playmaker ?

4. By D on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

If we get closer to game day and it appears Potter will start at Left tackle against JJ Watt, if I am Carson Palmer, I would be getting the flu and telling Drew to go ahead and take over on Sunday….this team cannot overlook a Left Tackle and a young future QB in rounds 1 and 2. Period. I have confidence in our GM to finally fill these two giant holes for next year so this team can get past 8-8 and can support the defense.

5. By Dr. G. on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

georgebird – Please describe what sort of playmaker you want for a QB. The only thing they can do is take off, try to run/slide or look for a scrambling receiver not finished with a route, and then hope a hostile hungry LB does not pile on.

Broken plays can equal broken bones. Pray tell when you may finally understand the role of the QB and play a different instrument for a change…. It has been explained many times.

Again if you love the running QB’s, tune in to some of the college games, esp. in the mid-west. Perhaps that will get you a fix for this. You must not have looked at all the QB injuries, huh? A running QB exacerbates the probably of injury. Deju vu…etc….

6. By infitzwetrust on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

Would it be too far out there to think Miami would take a draft pick for Jonathan martin?

7. By Andy Kw on Nov 7, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Did Ryan Swope visit the Arizona Cardinals at all throughout these 9 weeks of NFL Football? Or is he still in school at Texas A&M and not planning on being at least a Cardinals fan?

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Swope

He hasn’t been here. I have no idea about the rest.

9. By D on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

infitzwetrust
    Cards don’t need J. Martin, they have Massie as the future at Right tackle. If Cards are around 12 or so in the draft, Taylor Lewan from MI, Scottsdale native could be the franchis left tackle for many years….although Hundly from UCLA at QB would be hard to pass up if available….

10. By Dynosoar on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

I was watching a QB from South Carolina that looks pretty good. It was even better to watch a team with a decent QB and my Volunteers actually beat them. Do we need a franchise QB? Perhaps we have one.

Carson Palmer had over 70% completion against Atlanta, and that’s huge. QB’s with over 60% completion make the playoffs almost every time. I don’t know why he hasn’t had over 60% all season (too many factors), but things came together in Atlanta.

I’m looking forward to see his completion in the next few games. If a QB can throw over 60%, they don’t need to be scrambling as often.

I also remember Warner trusted his receivers to get the ball and while accurate, put the ball where they could make the play. I’ve only been able to watch three games, does Palmer give our receivers opportunity to make the play? Throw it to them let them make the play, but it does need to be in a position for them to make the play and not the opposing CB or Safety.

If Carson can throw like he did in Atlanta, we’re playoff bound and beyond. I believe he can (I also believe Stanton could). One other thing that excites me about Carson Palmer, we’re eight games in and no injury. This guys a warrior and not injury prone and he threw for over 70%.

Do we need a franchise QB? Perhaps we have one.

11. By Big Ken on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

I’m glad to see Nate Potter get a shot at playing LT. Lets see if he’ll step up.

12. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

infitzwetrust
    I had the same thought however, it is being speculated that if cut loose by the Phins, he would likely be picked up on waivers by the 9ers or the Colts where he has relationships with some of the coaches and players from his college days.
    I do hope that our front office takes a page out of Andy Reids playbook and learns a lesson about the importance of building from the line (offense AND defense). I also was hoping that we would get a hot pass rusher this year but it is what it is!
    Our defense and secondary are the bomb and getting better…special teams don’t get near the credit they deserve either!

13. By mal on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

Dyno-

Youve only watched 3 games? That would kill me.

If you have the internet, you can watch every Card’s game live and for free every week, including the pre-season. I dont want to tell you how or to post on here the link I use (for various reasons) but talk to somebody, becuz its very safe and super simple/easy to do (no software downloads or any of that junk).

As for Palmer, yes, in my opinion, he spins a nice ball and puts it where our guys can make a play. He’s thrown Larry balls just like Warner did where Fitz used to elevate and catch it with his hands away from his body, above everyone, but now those balls get picked cuz Larry cant elevate with first the right hammy injured and then the left hammy. Palmer has sometimes drilled our tight ends right in the hands or back, and they never even looked for the ball.

Yeah, he’s made some bad throws, and will force it under pressure, so he’s not blameless by any means, but his most awful lame-looking picks came from receivers breaking routes the wrong way. It’s been such a varied combination of little factors keeping Carson from being more successful, but isnt that to be expected with such a huge influx of new faces and young guys? (a little more talent at OL and TE would sure help)

But in my opinion, the few times this year where everybody got on the same page, Carson Palmer drives this offense really well. I like what I’ve seen out of him. Thats why I think time together/familiarity might mean this offense will continue to improve all season.

14. By georgiebird on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

@Dr. G,
    What is so difficult about the word “playmaker”. If all the QB has to do is hand off the ball and hit wide open receivers- well there are a load of guys that can do that.
    I’m not talking about running QBs – you are.
    A playmaker is someone who performs under difficult circumstances. It could mean the following:
    1) an accurate throw on 3rd down in tight quarters
    2) recognizing a defense and changing a play at the line
    3) making smart plays e.g. getting rid of the ball to stay in field goal range
    4) stay steps ahead not steps behind the flow of the game.
    On the defense, Tyrann is the best playmaker. Why is he the best playmaker?
    Becauyse he ANTICiPATES plays- and he’s not the biggest or fastest player in the league.
    So now, DruG, you know something you didn’t know before.

15. By Dr. G. on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

Georgie….. Not buying your shift to other things… Of course, I agree with some of your last commentary, but you continually talked about “statues” and “mobility.” But, it is nice to see you changing your tune, if even a little.

If you read a previous post, I listed some of the things you just mentioned as QB qualities.

Be well….

16. By Dr. G. on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

Georgie, Oh, I would add… you mention Tyrann as a playmaker. We have many. Yep, but he has more time to read/react to things coming at him. (I just voted for him) The QB will have many, many things to react to and read if the line breaks down. He has virtually one second to react if the line misses a block. A lineman can run about 5+ yards if not blocked in 1 second. The QB should audible prior to the snap if he sees something obvious. I believe Palmer is OK at that. You will continue to see that he can get it done is he has a few seconds to set up, otherwise we all see the tendency to throw a pick occasionally. One bad play per game can equal a loss. We all see that, don’t we?….. Later….

17. By georgiebird on Nov 8, 2013 | Reply

@Dr. G
    If I had two QBs of equal ability -one can run and one can’t – I’m taking the QB who can run-no doubt about it.
    The whole issue of “Statue” comes up in discussing the OL. Most fans complain about the Cards OL. What I have said for the past three years or so is the OL is OK. While OLs are getting beat all over the league, the Cardinals with their slow offense very seldom bail out an OL mistake.
    Andrew Luck is not a running QB but his ability to think and react quickly will make him the QB of the near future-barring injury. Ditto the Mannings- I’ll take either one.
    I don’t like Palmer but it has nothing to do with his ability to run