Texans aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on November 10, 2013 – 8:21 pm

Patrick Peterson was shaking his head, unable to fathom even after Sunday’s game how Andre Johnson had made his two touchdown catches. Both were against Peterson but neither were Peterson’s fault as much as Johnson – the Texans’ star receiver – making unreal plays to get a second foot down on the edge of the end zone.

“I thought I played pretty well today,” Peterson said. “I held him to 37 yards, I believe. Just those two touchdowns. He’s an all-pro. He gets paid the big bucks.”

Ultimately, that was the story of Sunday in a nutshell. The Texans got some good plays from their stars. J.J. Watt had a couple of impressive forced fumbles too. But in the end, the Cardinals got more from more people. Bruce Arians called it a “team” win – and most coaches do, and there were parts from everyone. It looked a lot like the other wins the Cards have had, with a defensive bent, no question, but the offense did enough.

And, of course, the Cardinals are 5-4 and going to play Jacksonville on the road.

– There was no way to start the game better than the John Abraham strip-sack that Matt Shaughnessy returned for a touchdown. It didn’t lead to a blowout or anything, but it did underscore what a good signing Abraham is turning out to be. He now has five sacks (and he was pretty close to a few before he got his first three games ago) and is exactly as advertised as a pass rusher.

– There will be much talk – again – about Rashard Mendenhall and Andre Ellington. But guess what? Arians wasn’t down on Mendenhall at all afterward, so there are going to be no changes. He said he thought Mendenhall was down before he fumbled, so the fumble isn’t going to be a black mark. He said he thought Ellington’s work was just fine, and that was after 13 touches (although two more passes were thrown incomplete to Ellington.) Mendenhall had 14 touches for the game.

– It was interesting for a coach like Arians, who said in training camp he didn’t like the wildcat, to use Ellington in the wildcat. Arians said after the game he doesn’t like the wildcat with the QB on the field, and Carson Palmer wasn’t. Ellington was QB for three straight plays. Ran it for five. Ran it for seven. Handed off to Patrick Peterson for a four-yard loss.

– Karlos, Karlos, Karlos. You might be headed to your first Pro Bowl if you could hang on to those near interceptions. There were two more today. Feels like Dansby should have six interceptions already instead of just one.

– Arians said he expected Michael Floyd back next week after he sprained his shoulder, but I want to see that first. With Andre Roberts available, the Cards may not want to push it. It’s too bad, because Floyd was off to a good start Sunday.

– Fitz had three catches for 23 yards on six targets, and it really didn’t mean anything. Don’t know if that’s a good sign or bad.

– Palmer, on the two big plays by Watt: “There are a handful of players you’re not going to stop,” Palmer said. “They’re going to make their plays. It’s inevitable.”

– The Cards got three false starts in the first half. That’s what happens when Watt and company are ready to come. “Guys like (Antonio) Smith and Watt can come off the ball and you are primed up and ready to go,” guard Daryn Colledge said. “Carson is trying to hold (the snap) to help us as safeties are rolling down but we’re primed to go and he’s late in his cadence. There was a perfect storm. We probably could have had more than that. I think pretty much every offensive linemen at some point is pretty much just holding on to the grass.”

– Justin Bethel should be in the Pro Bowl. And that field-goal block was a life saver.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Texans aftermath”

1. By job on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

Bruce Arians is a walking Ego. Refusing to start Ellington and massie. Putting Ryan Williams on IR.

2. By Steve on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

“No lost confidence in Mendenhall” Arians says. Well Rashard almost cost the team the game because of his penchant for putting the ball on the ground. Loyalty not withstanding, Arians should give Stepfan Taylor more playing time to see what he can do and cut back on Mendenhalls carries(and fumbles).

3. By Havasu Tom on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Great game! It’s nice to have a chance for the playoffs in mid November. What’s B.A.’s agreement with Mendenhall. Was he promised he would start? I know all the stuff that Andre is to small and wants to limit his touches, But to put the team at risk of losing. I don’t believe he needs to start, but in on some of the 1st down plays would be nice.
    Also, why does Mendenhall turn his back when he gets in to traffic? very Strange. Thanks Darren for your help, allowing me to enjoy another fun season following the Cardinals.

4. By jakeplummersghost on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

It ain’t ever easy, is it?

5-4. I’ll take it. One game behind SF with one to play vs. them in our house. Get ready for some meaningful football late in the season, Cards fans…

5. By georgiebird on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

Very impressive win for the Cards.
    Starting with Rachard’s fumble, and then an unreal catch by Johnson, then the Cards near miss on 1st down, this game had the makings of a loss or at least a tie.
    But then something unusual happened, the defense dominated on Houston’s last possession.
    Yes, I’ve seen games end where an opponent’s offense runs out of time, also seen games where our defense hangs on and recovers a fumble or makes an interception and gets a win.
    But I don’t know the last time a Cardinals defense dominated so clearly on an opponent’s last possession leaving no doubt who was the best team.

6. By Card in Co on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

@georgiebird – the Lions game…. where Tyrann Mathieu made that first down saving tackle on Nate Burleson.

Anyways, another great game by this defense. Dansby needs to stop eating all the popcorn before the games though, those butter fingers are killing us! I thought Patrick Peterson had a great game. I can’t put any fault on him for either of those touchdown grabs by Johnson, they were just awesome…

Mendenhall – Really Arians? You still have faith in him? You can’t even say that you can hand the ball off to him on third and short and he’ll get in there and get it for you. It was 3rd and 2 and he tries to bounce it outside when the line got a nice push! Left me shaking my head… I think the fumble speaks for itself.

Thirdly, I second the motion for Justin Bethel to a ProBowl.

7. By ored on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

i think stepfan gets his touches next year,now we need to figure out a way for andre to stay involved and still get the te’s their touches.

good game,knew they were gonna play strong,with their qb and coach situation,but we made enough plays to win it.

8. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

BA is definitely different. And even if a lot of us don’t agree with Mendenhall playing or Palmer for me. We are 5-4 and that’s better that what we were last year. Palmer + Mendenhall = Turnovers. Hhmm , sounds like a broken record. Same thing, over and over again. But I will take 5-4 over 4-5. BA is changing the culture. Even if it does drive a lot of the fans crazy. And yes he has a big ego. What NFL coach doesn’t. Lets hope we make the playoffs because if we don’t, the fans are going to be outraged at a lot of the personnel decisions he made during the year. I’m hoping for 10-6 this year. I think it’s possible if we take care of the ball. The offense looked better today. And the defense looked good as well. Jacksonville is next. Don’t assume a win with JAX. They just beat the Colts in Indy. I still think we will win, but just not that easy.

9. By Cheese on Nov 10, 2013 | Reply

I LOVE what this defense is doing, but there is zero rationale for Mendenhall to continue to get anywhere near the touches, snaps or time on the field that Ellington gets and it’s ridiculous that he starts. This is the second game of the year that he fumbled with under 3 minutes left and nursing a lead. His YPA is horrendous. And he’s been in and out of practice all year. It doesn’t make any sense. We have a better option with Ellington(who DOESN’T need to get it 25 times a game…can’t stand continuing to hear Cardinals yes man throwing this out there to counter the idea that Mendy should sit) and at this point, Taylor is more effective to get carries then Mendy (and he doesn’t put the ball on the ground). Continuing this way, when we once again have a super slow start with Mendencrawl in the starting lineup just seems to be ego at this point.

but it was good to see Palmer have a second straight somewhat solid game, and I just love continuing to watch this D get after it.

10. By UK cards fan on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Good win, one main takeaway would be I think we need to make Larry the primary on at least one of those attempts in the red zone when we couldn’t breakthrough.

11. By Corgon on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

I don’t like Rashad. I’m not a RB, but i think he makes wrong decisions, left yards on the field and stuck too many times. I’d lik to see more S.Taylor instead of him.

I think T. Bowles has amazing eye for the game. On our 5 wins the D shut down in the second half the opponents O 3 times, in the Atlanta that pass interference call on TM was the only reason why they dont swept the O from the field again before the TD and now the Texans had an amazing opportunity with the fumble, otherwise punt after punt. Don’t get me wrong of course we have very good players in the D, but in every game TB makes some serious changes in the half time.

12. By LadyBird04 on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Get Taylor in – let Mendenhall give him a break once in a while. Mendenhall isn’t what he used to be. Ellington gets his snaps, Taylor “bulls” the ball and doesn’t put it on the ground. Ergo we don’t give the ball up inside the 10 with 2 minutes left in a close game.

Sorry Arians you are waaay wrong on this one.

13. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

I have no idea why people are talking about Mendenhall vs. Ellington.

Two completely different roles on this team. Ellington has his role and he is not going anywhere.

The discussion should be between Mendehall and Taylor, IMO.

And in my opinion, Stepfan Taylor should get more touches then Mendenhall and Taylor should be used in all short yardage situations.

14. By JoeBlow on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, well guess what, Bruce? Mendenhall WASN’T down, so the fumble SHOULD be a black mark. The stubborn insistence on sticking with him as the starter is indefensible. Mendenhall is fine as a #2, but Ellington is way too dynamic to have fewer touches. What, Ellington is too small? Hmm, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Maurice Jones-Drew……

15. By clssylssy on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Another heart stopper! I would have thought by now, according to our record, we would be having some pretty decisive wins, kinda along the lines of the Rams who put up a thirty burger on the Cols but a win is a win so I’ll take it. This was the most even and complete team effort we’ve had and I was thrilled with our run game and Carson Palmer’s performance. If anything, I thought the defense missed coverage on Case Keenum in the first half and didn’t seem to be aware of what a threat he could be. His efforts were impressive and he reminded me of some of the other young mobile QBs we are seeing and he seemed to have the poise and toughness one doesn’t normally see in a unknown backup. At the end of the day our defense got the job done but we barely pulled it out against a 2-6 team which makes me nervous. Unlike many, I thought Mendenthall had a good game and can see why BA is starting him, he plays an entirely different role with the running game than Ellington and I like having multiple rotating backs. We all knew that Andre could produce given the chance and I’m thrilled for Rob Housler who looked great! He and Jim Drey gave our offense a new dimension that I look forward to seeing developed. I found it interesting that several commentators pointed out what a amazing job Larry does blocking and doing whatever is asked to allow others to make plays for the success of the team, and recognizing what a “complete” and unselfish player he is, questioning his being underutilized as a key weapon. Certainly we are fortunate to have such a leader in our locker room and feel proud of our player leadership beyond the Captains; seems we have a pretty balanced lockerroom!. I’ve been waiting for Justin Bethel to knock down a kicking attempt as he was doing and that was like the cherry on top! Whether we will be able to continue to have success on the road remains to be seen so I hope we can continue to play as a complete unit, eliminating some of the errors as we are finding our rhythm and grove thing. Great job players and coaches!

16. By D on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

A game they should have won, although it shouldn’t have been this close. BA, we love you and respect the loyalty to Rashard, but he shouldn’t be starting at RB this week.Not saying he still could get 18 touches, but he is not the same RB that took you to the playoffs for the Steelers.
    Nice to see A. Roberts have a big game on this weekend considering where he went to school, thanks BA for those play calls. (and i guess Floyd for going out to give touches to him)
    This defense is the best we have had since the team has been in the desert. Play makers at all 3 levels, keep up the great work and stay healthy.
    Hopefully Mr. Keim can extend our Punter before the year ends,he deserves another contract here. Very solid.
    Carson Palmer, you dazzle me with that accurate throw to Housler and you stand in the pocket to take the big hits, but a pick every game should tell Keim it’s time to draft a young QB by round 2 to take over once Carson starts down this path during next year games….
    Those two Touchdown catches by Andre were highlight reals…very impressive HOF.

17. By Emm7777 on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

I hate to critique after a loss, but Mendenhall offers nothing, except liability. Also, I don’t know if Fitz has forgotten how to play or if Palmer is that bad. I’m leaning towards the latter. Ridiculous that Ellington got less touches than Mendenhall. Just pure old man stubbornness on Arians part and it was incredibly disappointing. I’m just glad the defense had the chance to win the game as opposed to the offense, because this offense will never win a game like that.

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Cheese —

RE: Comments

And I can’t stand you continuing to take shots at me.

19. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Cards win just as we drew it up:) lol

Classic quote: “I think pretty much every offensive linemen at some point is pretty much just holding on to the grass.” Shows how nuanced, nerve racking, gut wrenching the NFL is. God, I love this game!

Arains on the fumble: I give him benefit of doubt on when to berate and when to support a player. Do you know better than the BadAss? Me neither bro/sis.

This year’s defense vs. last years: this year, to end game, we stopped on their own half of field with 4th down stop. Last year might be great goal line stand. Bowles maybe better than Ray, as good as Ray was. Explains BA’s comment re preference for Bowles was easy choice…

20. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

I meant. Tennessee. not Indy

21. By T. Stone on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

I love this win, and I CANT STAND Pistachio Ice Cream. Go Cards

22. By Peter in Canada on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

@Cheese The bottom line is that Darryl works for the Cards and if you think he is going to throw players or coaches under a bus you are dreaming in technicolor. He reports what the coach says and if you don’t agree with the coach’s statements you can make your objections. I don’t know what more you want from the blog.

I agree with all those who think that Mendenhall should not be the feature back. Unless the coach, who incidentally is closer to the scene than the rest of us, is seeing something we aren’t he will certainly pull the plug. To those who think a coach will deliberately play less than the best in the highly competitive NFL because of what happened several years ago in another city is crazy. I also don’t see the connection between Mendenhall playing and the coach’s ego.

23. By D,Treiber on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Other then a close loss to the Rams in are first game of the season this Cardinals team has only lost to the three best teams in NFC. SF, SEA and NO. and no losses to AFC, We beat both CAR and. DET. teams with winning records unfortunately, three of are losses are in our own division, by the way with best record overall in NFL. My point is never no love from anybody in are success. I think this team could be a major sleeper and I guess that’s way.

24. By Big Ken on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Great teams consistently win the close ones. They just find a way.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

My Take on the game;

Great play calling as we saw the cards do things they have not been doing.
    The Housler screen was a great call. Housler looked like the guy many fans thought he would be. Loved the short , quick passes to Housler and Dray. Need more of that.

I thought Palmer played really well. The one pick was a little underthrown as he had heat in his face. He didnt give Housler a chance. On a separate note, I always hate to see the receiver not do everything to prevent the pick. Why not take down the defender. even if it draws a flag, you get the down over and no turnover.

Ellington’s out patterns both fell incomplete. When you watch live, you can really see how Palmer releases the ball to a spot. Ellington seems to round his break instead of coming out of it sharp. That may be why they are missing by a step on those passes.

John Abraham has been our best FA pick up since Bertrand Berry. (Well I guess Warner was pretty good too). Point is, this is the first time in a long time that we have a guy who can get after the QB without scheme.

I understand why Mendenhal gets the touches over Taylor. He has more explosion. But I do like Taylor who is a bruiser. Whether Taylor or Mendenhal get the touches really has nothing to do with Ellington. Not sure the connections of Coaches Ego and Ellington vs Mendenhal. If I was coach, Mendenhal would start, Ellington would continue his role and with a 4th quarter lead, Taylor would be my guy.

Cards defense needs stick-um on their hands. Too many dropped picks. The ball that went through the LBs hands that popped up into the Texans hands, I thought that was Washington. Sounds like it was Dansby. That should have been a game ending pick six.

It was fun being at the stadium. I thought the crowd was good. Only issue I have is when the second half starts, too many empty seats.

26. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

One more thing,

Larry, Larry Larry. Where are you? Does he have any impact?

Remember this, Larry draws the other teams best corner and usually gets the attention of one of the safeties. Defenses still game plan to stop Larry.

With the fact that Larry is on the field allowed guys like Housler and Roberts to make plays. He has an impact that is not in the stat line. If Rob and Floyd and others can step up, the stats for Larry will go up too.

Good to see Palmer not forcing the ball in to Fitz like earlier in the year.

27. By D,Treiber on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Other then a close loss to the Rams in are first game of the season this Cardinals team has only lost to the three best teams in NFC. SF, SEA and NO. and no losses to AFC, We beat both CAR and. DET. teams with winning records unfortunately, three of are losses are in our own division, by the way with best record overall in NFL. My point is never no love from anybody in are success. I think this team could be a major sleeper and I guess that’s why.

28. By Dynosoar on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Fantasy Football, this team with Kurt Warner at QB and Cooper back from injury as well.

Second Fantasy team, the one we have. I watched Mendenhall get three or four runs in a row of 6+ yards a series before his fumble. He gives defenses a different look than Ellington and that allows for bigger yardage for both backs. A good system.

Card in Co – Danby needs to stop eating popcorn. Classic.

Rugbymuffin has a valid point.

The discussion should not be between Mendenhall and Ellington as they are very different backs with different skillsets, it should be between Mendenhall and Taylor since they have the same style and in a two back system like what we’re running (yes, pun intended), different styles work best.

I do believe Mendenhall has produced better than Taylor or Alphonso in this regards.

Ellington 7.2 yrds avg
    Mendenhall 3.1 yrds avg
    Smith 3.0 yrds avg.
    Taylor 2.8 yrds avg

Appears he has.

Darren gives us more and better information than any other source I’ve found. Certainly more dedicated to us than the NFL Network (I sometimes think they give more attention to tennis than to our Cardinals.) Although, with the way Darren gives it back to us (sometimes deservedly) it adds a little fun to the site.

Just like a family. Let’s get those pesky Jaguars. They could’ve at least picked a better helmet, but it is quite unique and that’s cool and besides, the best helmet is already taken with a red bird on each side.

29. By jstn on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

nxt game will tell all, the team better be ready for this one, big time!!

30. By Chris on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

My thoughts:

Offense:
    Again slow start in both quarters. Other than that, solid performance. Especially that last TD – drive; showed again ability to move the ball in clutch time while keeping clock running. Impressive to be able to run the football against that defense in that situation.
    One thing that made it happen: Playcalling. Some gutsy calls with throwing the ball on some screen / RB catches on that last drive. Very aggressive.

Defense:
    Got handled pretty well in first half. But again, great adjustments led to a shutout against a prolific offense (barring that ridiculous fumble). Have to be some smart coaches. Were very unlucky on this tipped-yet-catched throws. 6 points swing.

Personell:

RB: Sure, Mendenhall is struggling. Ineffective in 1st half, fumbling late; But showed some toughness in 2nd half. Still would like to see Taylor more. Fresh and healthy, our rookies are our future. They should have mastered that Playbook by now.

OL: Winston struggled with a couple of false starts. Surprised Massie didn’t push for more/any (?) playing time. Massie will be future RT, better get him experience.
    Otherwise I was impressed with the pocket for Palmer. Sure, he often took the shot in order to give receivers more time to get open. But all in all a great DL got handled solidly.

31. By C on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Ah yes, Darryl. That guy is one heck of a blogger. Good work as always, Darren. It’s nice to have good news and objectionable news to write about in the same blog. I have a hard time with Mendy putting the ball on the ground, but the screen game was SUPERB yesterday. If we can continue to be innovative and effective within the screen game everything else can fall right into place.

32. By Cheese on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

what shot did I take at you? If it was the “Tired of yesman strawman arguments about getting Ellington 25 touches a game, that wasn’t directed at you. That was a comment for the guys on the radio who kept bringing that argument up both before and after the game.

But now that you’ve responded, what do you think the rationale is at not getting more touches for Taylor and to see what kind of one two punch he and Ellington could make. Mendenhall’s average is really poor, our offense continually gets off to slow starts with him on the field and he doesn’t protect the ball in crucial situations. So, what in your opinion in the reason for continuing to go with him in there? And more important to me is to actually see what the snap count is between the RBs. Even if the touches are similar, I believe that Mendenhall simply being in the game hurts the offense because it’s a player the defense doesn’t really have to account for.

Cheese

33. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Darren: lol ” … can’t stand continuing to hear Cardinals yes man throwing this out there to counter the idea … ” You clearly are not going to let fans behind the curtain of Oz yet very independant, imo, fwiw… but maybe a bit thin skinned:)

34. By tiggy on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Time to get A Roberts more playing time. The offense gets more first downs and move the ball effectively.

35. By Chris on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

@Peter in Canada – I couldn’t agree more. Don’t forget that Stephan Taylor had a crucial fumble in SF which contributed to our loss. Bottom line is we don’t know what he looks like in practice next to Mendenhall or any of the other RB’s.

36. By Brian on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Underrated move by the front office bringing in Jake Ballard IMO. Whether there was any intention of being a motivational ploy or not, I thought Housler played much better and that catch down the middle was incredible. He also looked very good after the catch. He usually does look good after the catch but his problem has been actually catching the ball so that stuck out in a good way yesterday. Ballard was a solid TE both receiving and blocking before he got hurt and I thought he looked pretty good yesterday for only having been here a few days so maybe the two of them can help open up the middle of the field.

37. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Cheese —

RE: My mistake

I apologize. Genuinely. I read it as directed toward me (which wouldn’t be unheard of around here.)

As for the rationale, well, I can only go by what Arians says. Would it be my choice? Probably not. I get the sharing time thing to a point. I even understand the starting thing — it reminds me a bit of Beanie playing behind Hightower in 2009 when it seemed like Beanie was better suited for more work. But I’d want to make sure Ellington gets more touches than he has — to make sure he gets the full 20 talked about.

Mendenhall has been disappointing to me. But I don’t know the dynamic in the room, don’t know the relationships, don’t know the comfort levels. I thought the toe injury would open a convenient door to make a change, but clearly not. I thought Mendenhall played fine yesterday, especially in the second half (aside from the fumble, of course, and that’s a big deal.) He was a solid part of that touchdown drive ending with the Roberts catch. Injuries aside, it’s pretty clear the direction the coach is going to go. Whether right or wrong, he’s the one making the choice.

38. By Darren Urban on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Chris —

RE: SF fumble

Taylor didn’t fumble in SF. Alfonso Smith did.

39. By Chris on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Thats right…. my bad.

40. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

It was a fun game to be at UofP. Heart sank when I realized Mendenhall had fumbled… it just looked like a typical play where the RB gets stood up by a bunch of guys and forward progress stops. Long-term Cards fans had to feel like they’ve seen this movie before, where the team shoots itself in the foot.

Watched the Palmer pick on TV a few times after getting home. It was underthrown — something Palmer’s done on a few long throws (a ball to Floyd I recall earlier this year resulted in a pick) and just like Floyd, Housler didn’t break it up or even try to. That’s just terrible awareness by Housler. We were on the 9 yard line, so the worst case scenario if you go after the ball and maul the guy, is an offensive PI call… and what do we lose? Either the penalty would be declined and it’s just an incompletion with 3rd and 5 coming up, or if they accept it, we move back 4 1/2 yards and it’s still 2nd down and a long 9. That’s a lot better than just letting their guy go up and catch the ball uncontested. Housler made up for it a bit later, but that was just dumb football. I blame Palmer more for the fumble later (had all kinds of time, waited too long, should’ve sensed the pressure from behind) than the INT.

I’m glad we showed we could run an occasional screen successfully. Let’s see more of that.

Re: Wildcat — I thought it was creative at first. Then the third time they sent PP scurrying across, I said they’re obviously going to give it to him this time… and a 4-yard loss ensues. A trick play isn’t very tricky when everyone knows it’s coming.

41. By havasu city joe on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

I think people are a little down on mendenhall’s fumble (which i agree with coach he should have be down due to forward progress when it happened) and for get about what he contributed in the game the last couple drives he did what he is billed as being able to do grinding out tough yards when everyone else is tired. I’m not sure and this is a guess but i think untill those last couple of drive he was averaging about 2 yards a carry and after that he brought it up to around 3.5 which means on those last bunch of carries he was getting between 4-5 yards per running tons of time of the clock as well. I do agree with people that ellington has earned more touches maybe at the beginning of the game and keep mendenhall fresh to pound out yards+time when people are wore down. I am absolutely amazed at ellingtons vision that guy sees the whole field all the time i think that and his speed are the biggest differences between mendenhall who if you notice is bracing for impact usually as soon as he touches the ball.

42. By Chuck 1 on Nov 11, 2013 | Reply

Cheese,

And, pray tell who is the Cards’ “YES MAN”?

43. By ored on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

i think mendy has his role and now ellington becomes a sproles/marshall faulk/bush type weapon,use him for surprise,big play ability-over use him and he’s not as effective and subjects him to punishment,at least this early in his career.stepfan is still a rookie that has’nt proved himself yet,maybe by next year he will have seen enough to be an impact.

it seems to me that palmer has a pretty good connection with andre roberts,early in the season the two were hooking up pretty good,now with more TE competition maybe things open up for fitz,it’s looking more like a short to medium pass/control game is developing allowing the recievers to be playmakers after the catch and an occasional long pass mixed in,maybe once our speed recievers develop that may change and then we finally get to the point that ba wants.

stabilize the o-line,younger mobile qb,settle on a true power rb (lacy,seahawks,9ers,type) and we should seriously be in the hunt.excited for the rest of the season,but can hardly wait to see what we do in the draft and free agency.

44. By bagregreg on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Darren, one of the thumbs down from your response to cheese was an accident. Keep up the good work. Your in a tough position sometimes, but your insight is valuable to us less vocal fans.
    Do you think o-line is the 1st round pick this year or do you think DE or OLB is more likely (or QB) in the 1st round

45. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

bagregreg –

RE: First round

I usually don’t talk much draft until early next year.

I think a lot is open, depending on who is there. QB has to be a possibility too.

46. By Eazy E on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

Ellington over Mendenhall and don’t look back!