Dansby’s what-could-have-been INTs

Posted by Darren Urban on November 12, 2013 – 7:24 am

Karlos Dansby has one interception. It should be more than that.

“Been keeping track, bro,” the veteran linebacker said. “Should have four for touchdowns and six altogether.”

Dansby could chuckle a bit. He dropped a pair of interceptions Sunday, ones that would have made a huge deal in what turned out to be a three-point win. He isn’t exaggerating either; he’s had about five dropped INTs this season. Not the oh-he-got-three-fingers-on-it-it-could-have-been-an-interception but real near-misses.

(Calvin Johnson is still running, I think.)

The one that really hurt was the obvious pick-six he had in his hands against the Texans, only to have it bounce off and into the hands of DeAndre Hopkins for a 22-yard gain and a first down when Case Keenum was buried deep inside his own 10.

“Oh my God, it came out of nowhere,” Dansby said. “I was trying to help another player and all of a sudden I ran into the (passing) lane I guess. He had it on a beeline, man. It shocked the (expletive) out of me to be honest.

“It didn’t stick. That’s the only reason. I was in full stride because I was trying to cut the running back off. I thought (the back) was going to be the outlet because everything else was covered.  I took off and the ball was coming right at me. I tried to stop and catch it, it bounced off my helmet, my hands, everything.”

There is the fact Dansby always seems to be in the right place on a ton of passing plays. Dansby said some of that is experience, seeing certain schemes over his 10-year career over and over.

“The other half is trusting the guys around me making sure I am accountable in the right place, and I believe in them all over the field,” Dansby said.

Being accountable, however, follows Dansby around in places he’d rather not live, though – like when he’s dropped an interception or two. Or more.

“I catch hell every day, every day. Every day,” Dansby said with a chuckle. “Everybody is on my (case). And that’s right. They are supposed to be. Because I’d be on their (case) if they mess up too. It’s perfect though. It’s motivation. So I have to get back to work, get on the JUGS machine, catch about 20 balls a day and if I don’t, it’ll be a fine. That’s what we set as a defense, and I’ve got to abide by the rules.”

DansbyDropBLOG

Tags:

26 Responses to “Dansby’s what-could-have-been INTs”

1. By LadyBird04 on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Would have loved seeing him with 6 interceptions…have to at least give him props for breaking up so many plays though. All of a sudden we are going to see a bunch of them from him and Washington…they are soooo close on sooo many balls.

2. By georgiebird on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Linebackers and DBs drop interceptions/pick sixes every week-no big deal. When you win it’s laughable and when you lose it’s not funny.
    I am still very concerned with the lack of young linebackers pushing for more playing time. The play of Abraham and Karlos is encouraging but we just don’t seem to have the rookies, and two-year/three-year guys ready to explode on the scene. The situation with Tyrann is the only way a team will get to the next level- when rookies can take jobs from veterans still playing well.
    Sooner or later we will meet an offense with its full complement of offensive weapons- hope we can continue to rise to the occasion.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

georgiebird,

“I am still very concerned with the lack of young linebackers pushing for more playing time”

Okafer and Acho both were injured this year and where is Minter going to go?

Dansby and Washington have been lights out this year. One could argue the best pair of ILBs in the league.

Minter is suppose to unseed these guys as a rookie? Come on man.

And the OLBs aren’t pushing because they are out for the year.

That is such a misleading and unfair statement.

4. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Just realized that if we beat Jax Sunday and then Carolina loses to NE on Monday night (that’s pretty close to a coin flip; Carolina is a slight favorite), we should own a wildcard slot at that point. That would be pretty cool 10 games into Arians’ first season and going into the game against the Colts with whom he was coach of the year.

5. By kauaicardsfan on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Alloha Darren,
    Any possibility Los can do receiver drills with Fitz? Maybe even get a few pointers from the receivers ( Ball to hand techniques)? We are going to need those picks down the stretch for sure!

Just a thought?
    Mahalo !

6. By mal on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa-

You’re right about Carolina and the wildcard slot. I hadnt seen that yet.

But all the other teams we’re fighting for a wildcard slot have tough games this week, too: SF at Saints, Detroit at Pitt, GB at Giants, and Chicago vs Baltimore.

We’re right in the thick of it.

7. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Karlos.

Work on watching the ball all the way into your hands. On two of your drops you ran before you caught it.

It is that simple to fix.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Alright Darren, you know the questions are coming.

Arians with Pitt played the Ravens twice a year. He saw him ballhawk for many years.

Will the cards have interest, putting HB back on the slot and bringing aboard Ed Reed? The dollars most likely will be right with a 1 year deal or is he looking Pats, niners or Denver ?

9. By Robert on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

I’m not even going to dignify georgiebird with a response since John did so for everybody.

In response to Kevin, we sure do hope the Panthers lose to the Patriots, and then I’ll be looking at how the Packers do @NYG and how the Bears do against the Ravens at home. It’s a lot to ask for, but it’s not out of the question to hope all three of those teams lose. THEN, it seems likely the 49ers will lose to the Saints playing @ NO in the Dome without Vernon Davis. It’s insane to think of all these possibilities, but we could wake up Monday morning tied with the 49ers and secured in the last wildcard spot because of our tiebreaker with Carolina!

10. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

“There is the fact Dansby always seems to be in the right place on a ton of passing plays.” Keen observe, true.

See Cards game replay? Minter literally knocked out and concussed Texans TE on a special teams play. Ran right over and through him…wow. The guy even saw him coming and tried to adjust, stil got bell rung. Wow!

Larry Fitz a bit like Dansby, seems in right place to make a block and delivers on some key plays. Very highly paid blocker however;) He’s getting doubled… but not beating the double like could in past. Plus not always a good route runner, plus not on same route page as Carson sometimes, plus looks like added weight and is pushing off some to get free… that offensive pass interference or holding on Larry hurt us on a key drive Sunday..

big Q for last 7 games: does Larry prove he’s worth current contract? (So far, he has shown he is not, imo). Larry is face of franchise… but can’t be stupid with his contract or the other guys will resent it, and we’ll miss on some needed talent.. Fine line this off season.. so Larry… show me your worth is my thinking… btw, we love you Larry, just not at $20m/yr.

11. By georgiebird on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy,
    We’ll have to disagree on the quality of the linebackers. We have played the two most disappointing teams in the NFL the past two weeks and to pass judgment about “lights out” linebackers is a little premature. The defense is playing well but let’s not get carried away.
    We just don’t have linebackers who are dominant- never have. This is not to say that they are not good. And what did Acho and Okafer ever accomplish?
    Once again, the number of Cardinals’ linebackers that have started in a pro-bowl since 1960 could be 0 -quite a stat- and if I’m wrong , maybe someone slipped in one year as the token Cardinal.
    So if what you’re saying is compared to other Cardinals’ LBs these are some of the best- I agree with you.

12. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Reed

Reed’s play has dropped off quite a bit the last year or two. I don’t know why you’d make that move.

13. By Michael F on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Hey D,

Great job on the blog. I also love the podcasts, I wish more of those could be available (slow internet connection out here in the dirt) but I understand there’s only so much to talk about in a week and there’s other pressing matters.

Los has amazed me this year. He is still that force to be reckoned with when he was last here in red. I think his missed int’s will be no more this coming stretch. I say he finishes the season with 5.

@ Kevin S Mesa – I know its foolish to be optimistic in the NFL since anything could happen, but knowing the Cards can possibly hold a wildcard spot is thrilling! I can only imagine what this could do to fire up the locker room; knowing they have a chance and since many of them are here to prove themselves (one year deals), I can see them giving everything they got these last few games.

14. By Lynn on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Darren:

Any possibility of two Jonathan’s on the left side of the O line next year?

15. By clssylssy on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

I guess the obvious question (before we start making our plans for a wildcard) is how is this team going to hold up on the road? We have managed to pull out 3 point wins at home (the number of points we get for homefield advantage) but aside from the Panthers haven’t yet had any decisive wins like the Rams did against the Colts. It would be pretty embarrassing to lose to the Jags but the fact is that while we are looking better, so is everyone else. Even the Saints, who always win in the Dome and the Seahawks, who always win at QWEST Field, struggle on the road and have proven they are beatable. The Panthers aren’t the same team we beat early on and while we have a lights out defense and special teams, our offense can barely keep us in the game. If it were not for players like Fitz, who is playing what he is assigned (and is probably underutilized but not by choice) it wouldn’t be possible for some of the other targets to be as successful. While it’s possible for us to get a wildcard spot, according to the NFL, there are still other teams out there who offensively are stronger and we haven’t even played the Colts and the Titans and anything is always possible. I hate to sound like a pessimist but I think the business at hand is to take things game-by-game and not allow our swelled heads to interfere with our balance and vision. Right now we need to work on consistency as we prepare for the road AS A TEAM. With all that is happening with other teams around the league, teams struggling with leadership issues, our leadership stands out head and shoulders above the rest, which is part of what the big bucks are for and is an investment in the maintenance and future of the franchise. GOOD LUCK CARDS! BE CAREFUL OF THOSE TOXIC FLORIDA FUMES!

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Lynn —

RE: Line

Did you have someone in mind? If you are asking Martin, I don’t see it.

17. By Canadian Redbird on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Darren:

What do you think of a Ryan Williams for Johnathan Martin trade?

18. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Clssylssy —

I’d say the Atlanta win was pretty decisive… 21-6 at half, 27-6 midway through the 4th; their final TD with less than 5 minutes was meaningless and even that only got it to within 13.

19. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2013 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Trade

Why would Dolphins want Williams? And it’s moot. The Cards aren’t going to want Martin.

20. By clssylssy on Nov 13, 2013 | Reply

According to NFL Insider, Martin will likely be recruited by the 9ers or Colts where he already has ties. Why would ANY player want to go to a team in Florida with all the internal problem and each one barely alive?

21. By clssylssy on Nov 13, 2013 | Reply

Kevin-
    Agreed Atlanta was a good game AT HOME and against a team of the walking wounded. The Cards still have yet to win a game as decisively as some of our division rivals and moreover, ON THE ROAD. Just say’n…the Rams are not a team to be taken lightly even without Bradford, and especially with what Tevon Austin is doing. We still have to play them again, as well as, our other two division rivals, (we are the only team without a division win) the Colts, and the Titans, who we’ve had problems with in the past. While the Cards are looking good and our defense and special teams are Awesome, we still have to show we can get the job done on the road without the birdgang providing some help. I’ll feel a whole lot better when we have the Jags behind us as historically, the Cards have played up to their opponents, doing better against teams who are recognized threats and coasting when meeting a team considered to be weaker (Tampa Bay outplayed us and we won that practically by accident). Even though the 9ers “appear” to not to be the threat they were last season, I don’t believe that for a second as Kaepernick is one of the most physically gifted and smartest young QB’s in the NFL supported by a roster that reads like a Who’s Who of great NFL players coached by a tenacious and wily legend in the making. I guess I am a little superstitious (or maybe that comes from being a football fan all my life) but, I think it’s bad karma to start assuming too much and would rather embrace each game as it comes and eat the elephant one bite at a time!

22. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 13, 2013 | Reply

georgiebird,

Not playing lights out? Really ? Do you watch the games?
    Dansby has 78 tackles , 3 sacks, a pick and FF
    Washington in 5 games has 2 picks, 2 sacks, and 31 tackles

All for the number 3 rush defense in football. What the heck do you want from them?

Also, What has Okafer and Acho done? That wasn’t you comment. Your comment was our young LBs are not pushing for playing time. Its hard to get playing time injured.

No probowls ? Really, did you forget Darryl Wahington was a probowler in 2012? I mean really? BTW, In 5 games he has 2 picks, 2 sacks, and 3 FF as he leads the number 3 run defense. Come on.

Inside/Middle linebacker probowl 2013
    y-Daryl Washington, Arizona
    y-London Fletcher, Washington
    z-Patrick Willis, San Francisco
    z-NaVorro Bowman, San Francisco

I really dont think you watch the games, do you?

23. By jasonc on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

It’s pointless to argue with Georgie, but I appreciate that someone else has pointed out that he is slightly off his rocker. Other Georgie false truisms: Roy Green was a better WR than Larry Fitzgerald and our pass defense was only improved last year because teams would let up on us and only run the ball (this one is kind of true, but he fails to mention that we had 22 interceptions and if our offense wasn’t historically bad teams wouldn’t have been able to run the clock out).

24. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 14, 2013 | Reply

For the haters

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 14, 2013 | Reply

Rugby —

RE: Dansby

Who is “hating” on Karlos?

2. Jul 30, 2014: Cardinals Blogs | Arians talks Peterson