Some notes after Wednesday availability (and as the Cardinals practice):
– Not surprisingly, coach Bruce Arians isn’t about to talk ill of the 1-8 Jaguars. “You better bring your big-boy pants when you play against Jacksonville,” Arians said.
– Arians reiterated — yet again — that his running back situation isn’t going to change. Rashard Mendenhall and Andre Ellington are going to split time. Sometimes, it’s going to be impacted by the flow of the game. Arians lamented again the inability to get the ball to Ellington as a receiver, missed opportunities because of pass protection issues and/or Carson Palmer’s decisions.
– Arians was asked about the criticism Mendenhall is now receiving from the fans, and by extension, the criticism Arians gets for playing Mendenhall. “That’s fine,” Arians said. “Rashard can handle it. I can handle it.”
– Arians did say most “don’t sit in the room” with the running backs to see what Mendenhall is bringing to the team and to his teammates. “Ask (running backs coach) Stump (Mitchell),” Arians said. “Having been a veteran player in that room, he knows what that brings.”
– Linebacker John Abraham, coming off a three-sack game, was padless and on a bike during the open portion of practice. The injury report is out later today, but the way Abraham is playing (six sacks in the last three games), the Cards would be hurt without him. Also sitting out, as expected, were wide receivers Michael Floyd (shoulder sprain) and Brittan Golden (hamstring).
– In case you missed my tweet yesterday, the assault trial of linebacker Daryl Washington, which remains in the pre-trial phase, doesn’t have its next scheduled pretrial conference until January 23. Which means whatever the outcome, it is not going to affect the 2013 season.
Tags: Andre Ellington, Bruce Arians, Daryl Washington, John Abraham, Rashard Mendenhall
Posted in Blog | 27 Comments »