Taylor, Fleming quiet during Jags’ time

Posted by Darren Urban on November 14, 2013 – 12:24 pm

The Jaguars, trying to rebuild their roster, have collected a handful of ex-Cardinals. None of them, at this point, however, have made much of an impact. The Jaguars signed wide receiver Kerry Taylor from the Cards’ practice squad 10 days ago. They claimed cornerback Jamell Fleming when the Cardinals cut their former third-round draft pick early this season (coincidentally, to put Taylor on the active roster at the time). And going a little further back, the Jags also have former Cards wide receiver Stephen Williams (pictured below) on the roster, after coach Gus Bradley got to know Williams a little when Williams was with Seattle last season (when Bradley was the defensive coordinator).

Taylor was inactive last week for his first Jacksonville game. Coach Bruce Arians was blunt about losing Taylor, saying the Cards just didn’t have a spot for him on the roster. Fleming has been active for only four games and didn’t even get on the field in one of those. Williams just signed a month ago and has been inactive for two of his four games.

“We felt we had to compete all season long with the waiver wire,” Bradley said. “We felt we maybe couldn’t do as much at the top end of our roster but we felt like the bottom part of our roster we needed to compete in.”

Sound familiar? It’s a lot like the churning Cards GM Steve Keim wants to do.

“Kerry has come in and he’s been very impressive, as far as his work ethic, his attitude, his approach, all those things,” Bradley added. “We’re going to try and get him some more reps and try and find a way to make him active. … Fleming, the same thing.”

SwillJagsUSE

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “Taylor, Fleming quiet during Jags’ time”

1. By Dynosoar on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

I love watching Ryan play. I wish he hadn’t have been injured that first season and re-injured last season. I’m just thinking everyone wants Williams to play instead of Rashard and at least part of that is because of Mendenhall’s fumbles.

Please remember that Williams has had the same amount of lost fumbles in less time, also crucial to win-loss of a game. They both have less fumbles than Wells and Hightower.

Different backs with different skillsets as I see them.

Ellington and Williams appear similar to me, so would you want to replace Ellington with Williams?

Mendenhall, Antonio and Taylor are similar to me, so do you want to replace Mendenhall with Smith or Taylor?

It doesn’t make sense to me to replace Mendenhall with Williams as they have different talents and skills.

What I’d love to see is Ellington and Mendenhall in the backfield together, allowing for one to run the ball, have the ball faked to one and thrown as a screen to the other (Ellington?) or faked to one or both and thrown to Fitzgerald/Roberts/Floyd/Housler/King/Golden/etc.

I can only imagine the possibilities. Miami won a ring using this two back system with different styles of RB’s in the backfield together.

2. By Dynosoar on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

I would love to see Flemming, Williams and Taylor succeed with the Jags and turn them into a winning team…

starting on the 24th.

Very unique helmet design. If it was white with a red bird it’d be perfect. Nevertheless it’s definitely out of the box. Like the Bengals helmet, unique.

3. By Scott H on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

Man, those are some damn UGLY helmets the Jags are wearing…

4. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

I think this is the week that the offense puts it all together. This is the week where the offense really see’s its potential for the remainder of the season. Good Luck to Flemming and Taylor, I like both players, but hopefully they have success after we play them. The Jags helmets are horrible, but I give them props for thinking out the box. I’m just looking to get to 6-4 first and foremost. 2nd, get there without injuries. I’m hoping the offense can finally click and the defense can maintain their dominance with a quicker start. We should jump on this team from the opening kickoff and not give them any hope of winning the game.

5. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Why the heck are you talking about Williams?

I think everyone needs to have a taste of reality. He is the 5th back. No one offered us a trade or we would have taken it. He frankly is not that good.

To say he and Ellington have the same skill set is a huge insult to Ellington. What, in his short time when he wasn’t hurt, has given you any indication, Williams is an explosive back with good hands?

Please, for the love of God, stop bringing up Williams. It reminds me of the John Skelton talk. Neither guy is good.

6. By NYCardinals212 on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy — “Dynosoar, Why the heck are you talking about Williams?”

Perhaps it is because Ryan Williams is an Arizona Cardinals. Fans get behind players that they want to see succeed. Shouldn’t we all want to see Ryan Williams succeed?

7. By Lifetime Fan on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

I think Williams could be good…and in college at VT he defined explosive. He just hasn’t gotten a chance when he has been 100% healthy yet. I wouldn’t mind deactivating Mendenhall for this game and starting Williams. Why not keep them all fresh and useful?

8. By Big Ken on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

Right at least stick Williams out there for some garbage time. Lets get something out of him at this point in the season. Oh and he doesn’t play special teams. What a pre madonna.

9. By SInce '88 on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

Its comical to keep hearing R. Williams talk and wanting him to get a shot over guys (Ellington and Taylor) who have proven to be excellent running backs in their short time of playing. To compare Williams to Ellington is down right STUPID! Ellington doesnt dive to avoid contact and doesnt shy away from contact for his size. I will say this again along with 99% of other Cards fans. Ellington is the most dynamic back we have and should be the starter hands down!! I cant wait till next year when Ellington adds 5-10 lbs of muscle and is being considered one of the better backs in the NFL and we can all forget about talking about Mendenhall and Williams.

10. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

NYCardinals212

You can not play 5 RBs. So technically Williams is a cardinal. But he is not playing, nor will he ever play as a cardinal. The writing is on the wall.

When Mendenhal was injured and out, Arians did not play Williams. The message is clear.

This teams backs are Mendenhal and Ellington with Smith on occasion. Taylor fills in for Mendenhal and Williams has no place.

I don’t want to see Williams. I have seen enough of him. In 2014 he will have a cap hit of 1.6 million. Time to say goodbye and stop the nonsense of asking Darren why he isnt playing.

11. By Annette on Nov 16, 2013 | Reply

I would certainly like to see what Ryan has to offer before throwing him under the bus. You are right when you mention that Ryan wasn’t played when Rashard was out, but he wasn’t cut either! Why are we bickering over running backs. None of these kids mentioned here are running backs. We lost at least two good prospects we were developing. All three are in the NFL which means they are better than the hundreds that didn’t make it and I am sure we wanted to keep Fleming. My opine on Mendenhall is simply that he is still a little hesitant to put all the weight on that knee. I have two full knee replacements and I used mine as hard as a running back early in my life as an iron worker. I at least understand being nervous about it. He is being played and is on a one year contract. He knows he has to “shine” in the last part of the season to be resigned and his chances are slim if we are not interested. (maybe the Jags) so let’s see what Rashard does in the last half. Remember……….our rookies have already played a college season and the last half is going to be show and tell for them. Keep an open mind here fellow fans. :)

2. Nov 15, 2013: 11/15 Arizona Cardinals news: Abraham leading the pass rush, Intel on the enemy about us FEATURED ARTICLE | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog