In the week of Arians vs. His Former Team (that story coming later on the homepage), here’s a few non-that-story notes from Wednesday:
– Running back Andre Ellington talked about Dreadsgate a final time. The most interesting part? Being asked if he was upset some people did not believe his hair was real but instead extensions. Ellington had said after the game it was real, but many (and I heard from some) did not buy it. “I knew it was real,” Ellington said. “I don’t care what anyone else thinks. I took me five years to grow it.”
Ellington reiterated he wasn’t hurt on the play. As for going forward, he said he hasn’t given any thought to cutting his hair. “They are probably going to start targeting it now,” Ellington said. “Just means I have to run a little faster.”
Certainly, the Cards need more than the three yards on eight carries Ellington provided in the game.
– Bruce Arians had a fantastic press conference today. Among the highlights: Andrew Luck, on his own conference call, said Arians had an “incredibly young soul.” Told this, Arians smiled. “I don’t feel like I’m 62. I feel like I’m 22.” (Of course, Arians is only 61, but who’s counting?)
– Second Arians highlight: Asked how improbable the last two years had been, which began when Arians was no longer the offensive coordinator for the Steelers to NFL coach of the year of the Colts to now his permanent job with the Cards: “From refired — excuse me, retired — to this, I don’t think anyone would have dreamed this.” If you remember, the Steelers had announced Arians had retired. Clearly, Arians did not see it the same way.
– Arians said Patrick Peterson will remain the punt returner this week, after saying they might consider something else.
– CB Justin Bethel has been cleared through concussion protocol, but is limited right now. The Cards re-signed CB Bryan McCann yesterday and Arians said McCann almost made the team out of training camp because of his special teams work. You’d think that’d put McCann in good shape to take over for the injured Teddy Williams across from Bethel on punt coverage.
– Still not certain of WR Brittan Golden returning. Arians said the problem with Golden’s hamstrings are more about scar tissue right now.
– Arians appeared on the Rich Eisen Podcast this week, if you want to take a listen.
Tags: Andre Ellington, Andrew Luck, Brittan Golden, Bruce Arians, Bryan McCann, Justin Bethel, Patrick Peterson
Posted in Blog | 8 Comments »