Red-on-red returns for Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on November 21, 2013 – 4:18 pm

I know many, many people have asked for it, and now you shall have it: The Cardinals will be wearing their red-on-red uniform look for Sunday’s game against the Colts at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Cardinals haven’t worn red-on-red since the season finale against the Seahawks in 2011.

– For those who might have missed it, I wrote a short story this morning about offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin and the little girl who taught him an important lesson during the journey he went through the past year-plus. And, of course, there is the story of the meaning of this game for Bruce Arians and his Colts coaching transplants.

– Larry Fitzgerald was asked if he followed the magical season of the Colts a year ago, even if it was from afar. “No,” Fitzgerald said. “We had enough turmoil here last year. When I went home I didn’t watch any football.” He did realize Arians had won NFL coach of the year though — because “I was at the awards ceremony.”

RedRedBLOG

Tags: , ,

26 Responses to “Red-on-red returns for Cardinals”

1. By Dynosoar on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

If we have to wear the black jerseys twice each year, put them with the red pants. That would stay true to the Cardinals red and would really look sweet.

Darren, will the League allow us to substitute the white pants for red when wearing the black jersey?

I did read your Goodwin article. Harold’s right, some experiences really do put things into a different perspective. Along with his thoughts about life and football, I liked Dierdorf’s comment that he’s been able to spend his entire life around the game he loves.

Between these two articles I come away with this, find meaning in life and find a way to make what’s meaningful and enjoyable a central part. Both of these articles also resonate with the time of year.

Happy Thanksgiving ya’ll and enjoy the Colts visit.

2. By JAKE on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

Yes finally…….. I love those ugly Red on Red because we usually win when we wear them!!!!!

3. By Cardinalmark on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

Very Happy the Cardinals will be Red on Red for the Colts game this weekend! I love that combination!! Love to see those Red pants on the road vs the Eagles the following weekend!!

4. By infitzwetrust on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

I remember that game. Fitz went off in that one!

Also the Superbowl uniforms!

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: Black/red

I don’t think it isn’t allowed. Not sure if it would look very good.

6. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

The Red on Red is a great look. Not my favorite, but its different and if we win in those, I’m all for it. Red Pants/White Jersey for the road games would look nice, but I like the White Pants with the White Jerseys. I guess as long as we are winning, it really does matter what they wear. But Black Jerseys and Red Shirts would not look good if you ask me. Sorry Dyno. I’m with Darren on that one.

7. By Andy Kw on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    What is this website?

I thought this was the Cardinals homepage until it took me to the Cardinals homepage of 2010

8. By dannydommy on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

The league only has rules pertaining to jerseys – pants don’t apply, so teams may do whatever they like (even up to the last minute).

For what it’s worth: Teams may only wear alternative jerseys twice a year – myself I would prefer those to be the uniforms they unpacked off the truck from St. Louis in ’88 – not the butt-ugly non-nonsensical black monstrosities.

Also, all teams must declare in July their jersey choices (dark or white) for the entire season.

One thing I would love to see from the Cardinals reverts back to the St. Louis years when they always made of point of wearing white against the (blue jersey) Cowboys. First off, it irked the Cowboys to no end and since the Cardinals always seem to be up to whipping the ‘Boys’, it no doubt added greatly to the poor record of Dallas in blue.

Go Cardinals!!!

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Cached website

It looks like an old version. No reason not to just click azcardinals.com.

10. By BLAKE on Nov 21, 2013 | Reply

i guees i have good timing on asking questions. Hahaha…

11. By Corgon on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

yeeeeeeeeeah! The ultimate winning set! The red/red is my favourite! Looks awesome!
    By the way I think the black/red would be cool as well…..with a black helmet :)

12. By Eazy E on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

LeBron James ”Bout Damn Time” and they need some bad ass black on black instead of white and black helmets!!!

13. By LadyBird04 on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

For some reason the red-on-red unis remind me of little kids’ pj’s. A couple of years ago, someone, I think you Darren, quoted the linemnen as saying they liked the reds because they thought it made them look slimmer. I got a chuckle out of that comment.

Go Cards!

14. By Rich on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

How many more years and $$$ on 90′s contract? Feels like he might be a cap casualty next season. Wondering if his contract is too rich to attract a trade.

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

Rich –

RE: Dockett

Darnell is signed through 2015.

2014 salary: $5.5M, cap number $8.75M
    2015 salary: $6.5M, cap number $9.8M

16. By louis on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

the ride stops here on sunday the colts are to good to beat we will finish 6 – 10 this year this will be my last year as a Cardinalsfan.

17. By Darren Urban on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

Louis –

RE: Last year as a Cardinals fan

Judging by your comments over the season, I’m not sure anyone will miss you.

18. By Dr. G. on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

Red on red is fine. Too bad we don’t have a reddish/brown jersey like the color of the football; maybe it would help conceal it. Stupid suggestion…I know….

But…. how would you like to have an embarrassing uniform like the one the Steelers wore last week. I just can’t believe that one…. retro or not….

Louis… Please get help…..

19. By Juan Flamenco on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

Someday let’s wiill see the White on White 70′s uniform again?. I like it so much. Thanks.

20. By Dr. G. on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

LadyBird04… Hey don’t we really want the linemen to look bigger…esp. to the defensive linemen?

21. By LadyBird04 on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G

Yes I would think we’d want them to look huge. They said they thought it hid their “bulges” that didn’t include muscles. I can’t imagine how any of them could think they looked “slim” in any attire. ;)

22. By Chief on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

Louis is clearly a troll and needs to go back where he belongs…under a rock as a Cowboys fan!! GO CARDS!!

23. By joe67 on Nov 22, 2013 | Reply

OMG! I thought we had gotten rid of them. That is absolutely the most hiddeous uniform in the entire league. Totally classless. Looks like something a very small and poor high school team would wear. And some of you actually say you LIKE IT ?!??!!

24. By drindt on Nov 23, 2013 | Reply

This will be a tough game, but could give the Cards a big confidence boost going into the final stretch. Hopefully their O line continues the good play, and hopefully Arians can dial up some plays that will exploit the Colts D (would love to see some screens over Mathis).

The red on red combo is AWESOME! Glad they brought it back! Go Cards!

25. By drindt on Nov 23, 2013 | Reply

This should be a tough game for the Cards, but could really give them some confidence heading into the final stretch. Hopefully the play from the O line stays solid and Arians can dial up some interesting plays to exploit the Colts D (would love to see some screens over Mathis or in open field).

Gotta love the red on red uniforms, glad they brought them back! Go Cards! Keep moving forward!

26. By Macht on Nov 24, 2013 | Reply

Best uniform! These are my favorite, go Cards!