Stats and the long-term ‘stache

Posted by Darren Urban on November 25, 2013 – 3:37 pm

There are more than a few Cardinals players that have taken part in the Movember movement this month, although none have been quite as front and center as Carson Palmer — for better or worse.

Palmer understands the power that his mustache brings. In his own video, he says “my mustache is ginger, but very Tom Selleck.” A quote that will live in infamy. But wait, this might go even deeper. The mustache was started in November. Palmer has played in three very good games in November. The coincidence is staggering.

Palmer has 111 attempts in those three games, completing 76 of those for a percentage of 68.5. He has totaled 974 yards, six touchdowns, one interception and a passer rating of 110.0. Those are impressive numbers, especially for a fan base that is now reaching out to implore Palmer not to shave. Technically, Sunday’s game against the Eagles is in December — the time will have passed for a mustache Palmer already had acknowledged wasn’t a favorite with his family. But that might just change.

“I don’t know,” Palmer said. “I have to talk to my Mo bros, my other QB guys,” Palmer said. “We will come to a decision here.”

There are only so many QBs that can pull it off (although Drew Stanton has worked the mustache angle hard this month.) One guy who did it was Joe Namath, who sported that look back in 1968. Oh, and hey, how did Namath’s season go in 1968? The Colts know. Maybe it’s another reason to stick with the ‘stache.

StacheBlogUSE

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “Stats and the long-term ‘stache”

1. By barry on Nov 25, 2013 | Reply

I dig the stach! keep ! It definitely adds some “spunk”. I would grow mine but, my wife makes me shave it off..so I keep the beard.

2. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 25, 2013 | Reply

Fu Man Chu …outright studly … like his performance … which is now largely vindicating Keim and BadAss. December games that matter… lol ..

3. By Dynosoar on Nov 25, 2013 | Reply

Peter in Canada,

nice to know I’m not alone in the drifting snow. I am pleased to see that the dynasty was started (we waited 80+ years for it to begin.) and now that it’s started I’m watching it take off under Keim and Arians.

As to the ‘stache, I’ve been growing mine out and if he thinks his is bad, man mine looks more like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Yeah, it’ll go next week for sure (mine that is.)

As to Palmer, keep it, don’t keep it, just keep winning.

In the Art of War by Sun Tzu, he states if you know your enemy and know yourself you will never lose a battle. Here’s trusting that Sundays win was the team firing on all cylinders and will continue and not because Coach Arians knows himself and the Colts.

Down with the Eagles I say. (I hope we don’t upset any environmentalist group when we knock the Eagles out of the sky.)

I’m glad I’m not an Eagles fan, but if I was in the Eagles camp, I’d be a bald Eagle.

4. By NYCardinals212 on Nov 25, 2013 | Reply

I had to look this up, but apparently this is called a “horseshoe” or “biker” mustache. From Wikipedia:

“A Fu Manchu moustache is a full, straight moustache that grows downward past the lips and on either side of the chin; and often, the tapered, pointed ends of the moustache hang past the jawline. The Fu Manchu is similar to the common horseshoe (“biker”) moustache; the difference between the two types of moustache is that the Fu Manchu is grown only from the upper lip, whilst the sides remain clean shaven.”

I need to get out more often.

5. By Andy Kw on Nov 25, 2013 | Reply

I cannot wait until the Philadelphia Eagles game. Please, we have to give Larry the ball more in this game but do it when it is safe. Don’t just toss it to him for a gain of 4 or 5 yards, when it is one-on-one throw it deep to him. This has to be the game where Larry Fitzgerald gets a 200yd performance. Please, lets have two 1000yd receivers in Michael Floyd and Larry Fitzgerald. Obviously if we can’t, we shouldn’t. Fitzgerald has to breakout and I have a feeling he will. Don’t take any chances when it is double coverage. One on one is good. I want fitzgerald to have a 200yd performance so that he can go up to 800yds and we can play it safe with him for the rest of the season to get 1000yds. We have a good history against the Philadelphia Eagles.
    -This will be a really good match up and should be a really good game. Nick Foles is playing at his best and this will be a good test to take on a playoff caliber team with one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL.

6. By cardsalltheway on Nov 25, 2013 | Reply

Stanton and Palmer, two peas in a +pod.

7. By ored on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

keep the stache,just trim it a bit,just like you make adjustments to the offense,but it suits you.whoever was begging for the red unis…props to you,they look awesome winning in red.let floyd break out with his 100+yrd games and larry can just catch multiple tds each game,mix in the rest of the ingredients and…viola…playoffs.

just think this is only the 1st year of keims 3 yr plan,gotta be excited going forward,next year is gonna be so cool.

8. By Rugbymuffin on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Albert Breer is stupid, what does he know. Jack and squat is what, and Jack left town.

That stache’ is epic and stays where its at.

9. By ryan on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Carson looks waaaay better than Namath!!! when i saw Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, and Drew Stanton sportin’ the FU-MAN-CHU for mens health awareness month, i decided to bush out my beard as well….AND WE HAVENT LOST SINCE!!! KEEP THE STACHE’S AND KEEP ON WINNING!!!

10. By clssylssy on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Love the stach, it IS VERY Tom Selleck and sexy but moreover, I love the way Carson has been playing since rocking this alter-ego or whatever, and just hope he keeps up the good work! I have to admit, I was kinda on the fence when we signed him but have been cheering him on every week since he’s demonstrated a toughness seldom seen in most prima donna QBs these days who can’t take a hit and cry foul on defensive players just playing good ole fashioned football. Carson is able to take a hit, get up and keep his focus like a genuine QB should be able to!
    With the 9ers win over the Skins we are once again on the cusp so I’m hoping that this Cards team will be able to take their game on the road and prevail over the Eagles, each week tweeking their plays and improving a little more, using these opponents as good “practice” games for the final countdown within our division. The SB “picture” can change a lot between now and the end of December so we have to keep this drive alive and work on being as dominant a road team as we are becoming at the U of Phoenix. It looks like we are starting to worry some major teams which is a VERY, VERY, GOOD feeling! GO CARDS! Stay tough and stay the course!

11. By Dynosoar on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

WIN – PHI 33 @ WAS 27
    Loss – SD 33 @ PHI 30
    Loss – KC 26 @ PHI 16
    Loss – PHI 20 @ DEN 52
    WIN – PHI 36 @ NYG 21
    WIN – PHI 31 @ TB 20
    Loss – DAL 17 @ PHI 3
    Loss – NYG 15 @ PHI 7
    WIN – PHI 49 @ OAK 20
    WIN – PHI 27 @ GB 13
    WIN – WAS 16 @ PHI 24

Explosive, in some games yes and in other not so much. Last three games don’t look too bad.

A win here will be very good for us.

12. By Brian on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

keep it, it may not make you look good without pads, but it makes you look good in the pocket!

13. By Chuck 1 on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

For those who write that a dynasty was started under Graves and Whiz,
    I respectfully have to disagree.
    Graves made some terrible roster decisions in his last few years e.g. see QB decisions.
    And Whiz made some terrible coaching and play-calling decisions (see QB change decision in Atlanta)
    The formation of a “dynasty” was begun when Michael Bidwill hired Keim and Keim hired BA.
    When Keim has finished remaking the roster in 2015 and BA has finished putting his fingerprints all over the offense and defense, the “dynasty” will be in place.

14. By the way! Dr. G. on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Positive scenarios…. As you know, we have the tie-breakers over the Lions and the Panthers….

Soooooo, if either team comes back to the Cards and ends up in a tie, we go, they stay home.

The Lions have an easy schedule, but if they don’t win their DIV, too bad for them…

The Panthers have been on a terror streak, and they have an easy schedule also sans 2 games, they have to face the SAINTS (TWICE)…!!! They could come back to us also.

Unless WE go on a tear, these 2 scenarios are looming Big Time…. Go Saints…. I don’t think we want the Panthers to win that Division…. Later…..

How do you eat an Elephant? One game (bite) at a time… Next victim up…Eagles….
    We can make our own bed here… Winning solves everything…

15. By HunterSThompson on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G – Playoff scenario is a bit trickier than you have posted.

Detroit is a division winner right now (and likely will remain that way) so regardless of their record they are in no matter what. The Cards are battling Carolina and San Fran for the two wildcard spots.

We do have the tiebreaker with Carolina, but they have a game up on us and a pretty easy schedule. 11-5 looks realistic for them.

Even if we beat San Fran in the final game of the season, they will have the tiebreaker over us (winning percentage against division)…unless they lose to Seattle and the Rams and we beat all three (SF,SEA,STL). Their schedule has at least two easy wins in Tampa and Atlanta, and they get both SEA and STL at home. Pencil the 49ers in for 10-6 record at least.

It seems to me that assuming these 3 teams are the ones involved in the wildcard race, the Cards need to be at least 11-5 to have a chance to get in. A loss up in Seattle seems likely, so it appears the Cards need to win every other game on their schedule.

You are right – one game at a time. Philly up next! Go Cards!

16. By clssylssy on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G,,,
    I don’t think the Saints are as good as advertised and if we played them now at U of Phoenix stadium, I think we could win that one. They are kinda like Seattle and NEVER lose at home so it will be interesting when those teams meet…personally, I think the Saints willl lose but you can never tell. They barely beat the 9ers in the DOME and that was under “friendly” circumstances.. The Panthers are hungry and on a roll and I expect them to at least split the games with the Saints, especially if Sproles is out. They are just too physical and Cam is SOOO muuch tougher and more mobile than Drew although Sean Payton is a smart man. Certainly these coming weeks are going to be heart stoppers all around because everybody be playing for a bid. The only thing that really worries me with the Cards, it the cold weather in Philly and Tennessee which we really can’t prepare for unless we practice in Flagstaff as someone suggested. Historically, our desert birds have not fared well in snow and cold weather. Nick Foles is really heating up but hopefully our defense will have a special plan for keeping him controlled and will even ruin his record of no interceptions with maybe a pick 6! We are 2nd in take aways behind the Jets and maybe we can change that too! Hang on for a wild ride; this playoff picture has the potential for more twists than a rollacoster at Six Flags!

17. By Big Ken on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Yeah remember years ago when Randy Johnson of the AZ Diamondbacks cut up his mullet/facial hair, man he was never the same. So Carson don’t touch that stache!

18. By the way! Dr. G. on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Hunter//Classy…

It’s fun to review differing sources. Check out these two links; actually these are on the same site just 1 click from each other. There are myriad possibilities that could occur as we all speculate.

The Lions do not have a lock on the DIV, but the Cards will help them if we beat the Eagles. That is a bad division with lots of things that could happen. I am only wishing that the Lions lose and come back to the Wildcard race. It will help us.

Also, I stated that I would like the Saints to win their DIV and beat the Panthers twice…that would put them in contention with the Cards…we have the breaker on them too. That DIV is not finished by a long shot though. Panthers are soaring! Those 2 teams are among the top 5 in the entire league.
    But….If you were in a draft, who is it…. Drew or Cam??? We’ll soon know after they play twice, huh??? I can’t believe Derek Andersen is QB behind Cam!!!

Agreed – I would rather play the Saints in the CONF final…ergo my hopeful scenario. Be well….

19. By the way! Dr. G. on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Clssy – Oh yea…. One other thing… If we are lucky enough to play the Saints, it would probably be away; unless they crash and burn, and we go nuts, the Saints will more than likely have a better record.

20. By Beau on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Supporting the ‘stache? Vote on the poll in the Cardinals Football forum to implore Carson to keep it!

The post also cites scientific information to link the functionality of a mustache to the improvement in Carson’s performance. Good read!

21. By ored on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

we do the underdog role well.

22. By HunterSThompson on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Dr.G – I too am using those ESPN links, as well as their playoff machine. Detroit is irrelevant, cuz if they falter it simply means that Chicago or Green Bay wins that division and gets that playoff spot. Four division winners are automatic, regardless of record. After that the next two best teams get in.

Of course Philly, CHI, or GB could get hot and challenge for a wildcard spot as well, but right now it is AZ, SF, and Carolina battling for only two positions. Anything can happen, but IMO the Cards need to be 11-5 to get in.

Fingers are crossed!

23. By clssylssy on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren..
    I recall BA mentioning that he was not looking forward to the weather in the midwest and wonder if the Cards have done anything to prepare for the elements.
    I know that the temp around KC has been in the teens and Philly can be worse even and there are currently multiple severe cold fronts moving in and out of that vacinity. This time of year Tennessee can be really frigid and this year’s SB is being played in New York, if we would get that far. Seems like with all of these big games in front of us Coach BA must be thinking about the weather factor, and while I believe the team has to focus on the game we are preparing for, adjusting to these kinds of “intangibles” is not an overnight thiing. It was pointed out on NFL Daily Live that Peyton Manning even has trouble playing in the cold and he is more seasoned than our desert dwellers! Flagstaff doesn’t even have the same kind of cold as Philly and the midwest and aside from practicing in a subzero meat locker in their underwear, I can’t imagine how the Cards would approach such preparing but I bet Coach BA has some ideas. Do you know if we have a plan?
    And, Dr. G, I would take Cam if given the choice, not because I don’t think Drew is amazing but he isn’t as tough, is smaller, less physical and Cam has youth on his side, is just getting started.