Floyd receiver of many talents

Posted by Darren Urban on November 26, 2013 – 4:16 pm

As far back as the summer, Bruce Arians was speculating that Michael Floyd could become a breakout wide receiver this season. The last two weeks seem to underscore Floyd’s coming-out year. He had the 193 yards in Jacksonville, including his memorable 91-yard score, but his game against the Colts seemed to put all of Floyd’s abilities on display in one tidy little package.

Floyd was targeted seven times by quarterback Carson Palmer. He made seven catches (for 104 yards). Here’s how it broke down:

First quarter. Second-and-6, IND 48. Floyd runs a crossing pattern about four yards downfield and then, in stride, makes the catch and easily adds another five yards for the first down.

Second quarter. Second-and-6, AZ 45: Floyd runs deep down the right sideline and makes a nice one-on-one jump-ball catch for 29 yards.

Second quarter. Second-and-6, IND 36: Palmer is flushed from the pocket rolling right. He has to launch a pass to the right sideline almost all arm, but Floyd has smartly broken off his route and come back to the ball, snaring it for an 11-yard gain. Yet another first down. (Are you sensing a pattern?)

Second quarter. Second-and-10, AZ 33: Floyd makes the grab a yard or so short of the first-down marker. But he powers through the attempted tackle of Colts cornerback Cassius Vaughn for what ends up as a 13-yard gain.

Third quarter. Third-and-14, 50: Floyd knows right where the first-down marker is on the right sideline. Then he leaps to snare a high pass (pictured below) for a 14-yard gain. Analyst Dan Fouts, a former QB, talks about how nice it is to have tall receivers so the quarterback can throw it high and the wideout can just go up and get it away from the defender. At 6-foot-3, Floyd certainly qualifies.

Third quarter. Second-and-8, IND 34: A simple slant pattern on the move, gains about five yards after the catch on a nine-yard completion.

Third quarter. Second-and-12, AZ 27: The “easiest” play of the day. A skinny post to gain 19 yards and Floyd slips at the end, meaning he doesn’t even get hit on the play. A beautiful choice/throw by Palmer, and a solid route run.

Floyd earns a first down on each of his seven catches. On the day, he shows his ability to run precise routes, to break a tackle for extra yards, to run after catch, and to be able to go up and get a pass. He shows his sure hands. And if he keeps producing (Floyd is now on pace to have 71 receptions for 1,107 yards) teams are going to have to start paying more attention to him — and that in theory should take some of the attention away from Larry Fitzgerald, freeing him up more often.

Said Arians, “(Michael) is the big-time player I hoped he’d become.”

FloydManOfManyUSE

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “Floyd receiver of many talents”

1. By perry on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

That’s ma man.

2. By Dynosoar on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Peter in Canada,

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree with you, we had an elite QB and he retired and we didn’t even come close to replacing him. Too bad, had high hopes for some of them.

You probably missed it in my 4 page post above, but I touched on two things applicable to your thoughts.

“Whizenhunt had a plan that hinged on the O-line and an elite quarterback and it didn’t work because of a failure to execute. As others have said, may be more Graves, I don’t know.”

While I believe Coach Whiz began building, it stalled after Warner left and he tried to get Manning here to reignite, but he just couldn’t get his plan over the hump.

NOW Having Said That, I believe more and more that the combination of Bidwill, Keim and Arians (and others) will get us over that last hurdle.

(Whiz had it began and couldn’t hold it together. Arians is picking up and I trust and hope he will get us past that hurdle.)

3. By Dynosoar on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Floyd is awesome. We have an incredible receiving core and with Palmer having over 60% accuracy (last seven games) and 3 over 70%, they will only get better.

Remember how Warner and Fitzgerald both became better in each game of our playoff run. Imagine if Palmer, Fitzgerald, Floyd, Roberts, Housler, Mendenhall and Ellington all light it up the same way.

Beginning last week.

4. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Nice drill down post by Darren.

5. By Scott H on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Since I was not expecting the Cards to be a playoff contender this season, the ONE thing I was hoping for this year was to see Floyd emerge and take some huge steps forward. As it turns out, I’m getting both!!! Sweet!!! I wanted to see Floyd become a force at WR so Fitz could get out from under the constant double / triple coverages he’s been seeing with Boldin gone and lousy QB’s dealing the passes. Again, mission accomplished. Fitz still has enough prime years left in him that he can be part of a dynamic duo once again. And the team can be dangerous once again as well.

I honestly feared that if this season was another one down the drain with poor QB play and another losing record with games meaning nothing as the season wound down, Fitz would be gone. But with us being right in the thick of the playoff race in the NFC and with a new partner in crime on the other side and football being fun again in Arizona, I’m hoping Fitz will have no desire to be anywhere but here.

Nice job, Michael. Go on with your bad self, bro!

6. By Peter in Canada on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Floyd looked like a mistake as a first round pick last year. Lo and behold we get a proven QB and suddenly he looks like the player we all thought he would be. It demonstrated the folly of developing a great WR corps without someone who can get them the ball. BA and Keim did not make that mistake and their first move was to get a QBl. As JTDG pointed out he advocated getting Palmer last year before he went to Oakland. It makes one wonder if we had gone after him Whiz and Graves might have saved their jobs.

7. By Credit Card on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

What I really like is that each of the receivers are different sizes, and skill sets. Same can be held true to our running backs. Having different types of players, makes it more difficult to prepare for, but also creates mismatch opportunities for BA and Goodwin.

8. By Andy Kw on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

I am hoping Carson Palmer keeps that mustache. Keep up the good work

9. By georgiebird on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

Whiz was a below average head coach. He built nothing in AZ. This turnaround season has all to do with Arians and Keim and very little, if anything, to do with Whiz and Graves. In the off-season, Ray Horton was a hotter HC candidate than Whiz- and Ray Horton is not HC material.

10. By georgiebird on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

It’s a shame how A.J. Jefferson ended up.

11. By Dr. G. on Nov 26, 2013 | Reply

My hope is that Floyd maintains a degree of humility and concentrates on his talent to improve. He is a QBoldin type receiver with determination to get some serious YAC’s. He is also a jump ball guy… a sort of Fitz/Boldin hybrid…. Floydatron!!!

So far, he lets his performance do the talking….

12. By Steve on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Lets start the discussion: Fitz is due 20 million next year, I believe. When he and Anquan Bolden were both on the team, we couldn’t afford two 10 million dollar receivers. We made the right choice and elected to go with Fitz. If he prices himself out of the market, it’s time to pass the torch to the younger Floyd. We need to lock him up with the same urgency with which we secured Fitz years ago!

13. By HunterSThompson on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I just read an extended interview with Ryan Williams by Bob McManaman over at AZCentral. Part of it is below. I am hoping you can shed some light on this passage, cuz I still don’t really know or understand what Ryan is referring to in this excerpt. I am not one of those fans clamoring to have him in the lineup, but this interview really paints a strange picture of the relationship he has with this team. I am hoping you can help clarify things once and for all. Thanks.

“Q: Well, you came to camp this year and there was exuberance after two very tough years (which included a season-ending shoulder injury in 2012) and then we see you, we don’t see you. We see you, we don’t see you. We haven’t seen you in a game all year. How are you dealing with this?

A: This past summer was probably the worst summer that I’ve ever had. There were a lot of things that went on that could have easily been prevented. For the people out there who don’t know, it wasn’t my fault what happened in the summer. It wasn’t my fault. With that being said, I went through what I went through, I’m still standing, and I feel better than ever. But what I went through those couple months wasn’t fun at all.

Q: You’re saying there was miscommunication (between Williams and the team and its medical staff) in a big way?

A: Very big way and it sat me down and I was basically looked at in the wrong way. It was one of those things where I just stuck my head down and I tuned everything out and I just continued to do what I knew best, which I’ve been doing the past two years — working my tail off to get to where I needed to be.”

14. By Chuck 1 on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

I agree with clssylssy that the main worry re: the game against the Eagles is the weather. If the game were played in a warm climate, the Cards should win the game. However, in Philly, BRRRRR will have a negative effect.

15. By roben10 on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

I feel like there are some harsh judgement calls on that one georgiebird. Whiz is a good coach. When he has a competent QB his system works. Look at what Rivers is doing this year. He is a good in game manager. He also brought in a lot of talent to this team, which Arians and Bowels are using very well. I think we just gave him too much power and he needed to be told no on some issues. As for Horton, I’m not sure how you can say Horton is not HC material. His defenses have done well despite the fact that he has not had a remotely decent offense on the other side of the ball.
    I love Kiem and how he takes care of the team. I feel like he makes any coaches life easier. He makes sure that he gives them the best chance to succeed. This whole season starts with him. There was definitely some talent here though when these guys came in. You have to give the previous regime some credit.

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

HunterS —

RE: Williams

Honestly, I do not know. Ryan has never said those things to me.

17. By D on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Happy Thanksgiving Darren

18. By Austro-Cardarian Fan on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Receivers certainly performing well, but has anyone noticed how every single QB with whom BA has worked kicks butt?

19. By John The Draft Guy on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Game Weather;

Remember, Foles is from the Univ of Arizona. They have one of the best RBs in football, which is even better in this Chip Kelly offense. But what if there is bad weather and Foles cant get the ball to his speedy wrs and we put 8 in the box and look to stop Shaddy?

On the other hand, Palmer played many years in cold Cinncy with road games to Pitt, Cleveland and Baltimore. His wrs are not built on speed but have size. Built for the shorter passing game.

I dont fear the cold weather.

20. By Dennis Vu on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

any news on johnathon cooper?…havent heard anything about him lately

21. By Dr. G. on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Draft-Guy, Yep I would certainly agree with your assessment on the “cold.” Foles is a pleasant surprise; we cannot take him lightly. ASU is my team though… watch them GO!

Most of the guys playing for us are from cold climes. And, the new gloves with hand warmers are great. Palmer will be OK, as you say.

My only slight concern is the CB’s, WR’s and RB’s FOOTING if the field is messy. We need to remember that the OFFENSE has the advantage in bad weather. And our DEFENSE is a rugged bunch hindering the run. They will gut it out…..

For those of you who ski, you get that cold weather is no big deal if you’re prepared.

For the Holidays, I wear my TILLMAN jersey proudly…. Please remember him…

Gonne quit trying to explain the Lions thing!!!

22. By grabling on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Can the Cards go with the all red uniform vs the eagles?

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Grabling —

RE: All red

The Eagles are wearing black, so I am sure the Cardinals will wear white.

24. By Scott H on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1

I whole-heartedly DIS-agree. First, weather affects both teams during any given game. Not that I don’t hear what you are saying. But if there IS a weather issue, their QB’s, WR’s , and kickers have to deal with it, too. AND let’s not forget that the Cardinals are awesome against the run, so that may take away what the eagles can do very well sometimes. The real concern here is McCoy catching passes out of the backfield. He’s scary when he gets in the open field.

But bottom line? The Cardinals are a better team and SHOULD win this game. And they have to if they want to keep this playoff thing rolling.

25. By Peter in Canada on Nov 27, 2013 | Reply

To all the people talking about the weather Scott H makes the most valid point. The Cards ARE the better team. We have a better record and play in the tougher division. Philly offence is good but their D is definitely not good. We beat them badly last year with a team that was nowhere near as good as this.

26. By johnnybluenose on Nov 28, 2013 | Reply

@ Peter in Canada. I hope you are right. I hope we are the better team. Certainly our defense is playing well and with a confident swagger, and all this despite losing key guys like Williams and Acho. Guys have stepped up big time. Our offense has come along but it’s not great, not yet. I am very happy and excited to be at 7-4. But we have beaten some less than stellar teams who are either just bad or who had significant injuries (Jacksonville, Atlanta, Tampa and Houston come to mind). I am glad we played Carolina early and we caught a few breaks early in that game which allowed us to hang around and win it. And, yes, we play in a tougher division and we are zero and three against our own with three more tough games to go against them. I don’t want to be negative. I want us to win. If we beat philly I will be over the moon and seriously thinking about making the play-offs. 11 and 5 would seem a real possibility then. Can hardly wait for Sunday!!!