Peterson, as punt returner, isn’t going anywhere

Posted by Darren Urban on December 4, 2013 – 11:51 am

Patrick Peterson had a brain lock Sunday, thinking a punt had been blown dead after the Cardinals were being flagged for a too-many-men penalty and letting the kick bounce some 30 yards down the field. Turns out the play hadn’t been blown dead (Bruce Arians later said he thought the play had been blown dead as well, but didn’t excuse Peterson from choosing a non-catch) and the Eagles declined the penalty. That’s on top of the dry streak Peterson has been on returning punts in the first place.

But Arians makes it clear that Peterson isn’t going anywhere. The Cardinals aren’t going to suddenly start using Tyrann Mathieu back there and Arians hasn’t lost faith in Peterson.

“He’s just getting all those Aussie kicks,” Arians said. “Nobody is punting the ball anymore. The last three or four games everyone is kicking their inside-the-50 punts, trying to get a 40-yard punt with hangtime and take him out of the game. He did a pretty good job taking one or two of those north and south against the Colts. This time, when you get outside in the elements (in Philadelphia) it’s a little different when that kick starts floating around. He did a great job on his poison call.”

Javier Arenas still was hit by the bouncing punt after the poison call, however, another special teams glitch that the Cards were fortunate to recover from when Antoine Cason picked up the ball.

In terms of sitting him down, maybe letting Peterson take a game off, Arians steadfastly says no. “Patrick is too big of a game-breaker,” Arians said. “You only get so many opportunities when they are going to kick it to us. You definitely want Patrick back there.”

Peterson has 28 punt returns this season, averaging 6.7 yards a return. He has nine punt returns of at least 10 yards this season, with four coming against Houston. His longest was 22 yards, in that same game.

PPpuntsUSE

Tags:

13 Responses to “Peterson, as punt returner, isn’t going anywhere”

1. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

Food for thought;

Although we are in the hunt for a wild card, I can’t help but keep an eye on the upcoming draft. With first round pick Cooper coming back, it is like we get two picks this year.

Sowell has done a pretty good job at LT, and maybe we are not looking at that spot in round 1. But if we were, there are a couple of names to add.

I still like Jake Mathews as my top tackle. Strong and athletic and it doesnt hurt when your dad is a HOF lineman.

But some new guys have emerged.
    Florida st tackle Cameron Irving and Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio have shot up as first rounders.
    Both guys are juniors, so there is no guarantee they are coming out.

Something to chew on this cold, overcast Wednesday.

BTW, anyone watch any Fresno State games? I’m hearing really good stuff about QB Derek Carr.

2. By Chuck 1 on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

BA has made some very good decisions as HC.
    This is NOT one of them.
    PP has lost his mojo as a punt returner.

3. By Chad D on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

Well, we haven’t seen him being a game-breaking return man for almost 2 years now. I think it would be okay to try another potential game-breaker on for size..time to see what Tyran can do.

4. By Chad D on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

*Tyrann, sorry.

5. By Rich on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

Disagree with BA. Peterson definitely looks tired on the field. Need to either take him out of punt returns, or take him out of the offense. He shouldn’t be playing in all three phases. Not to mention the increased risk of injury.

6. By georgiebird on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

Some wonder if Tyrann has the conviction, dedication and fire to be a great player- I wonder more if PP has those qualities- the talent is there with PP, it seems his game from the neck up is questionable.

7. By jason on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

We won’t have a shot at Mathews, he will be a top 10 pick. You’re right though there is a chance for Koundijo, Erving, Tiny Richardson, Taylor Lewan and some second round guys like James Hurst or Corey Robinson. I agree that our line has been playing better and with Cooper coming back we automatically have an upgrade. I think we’re going to have the opportunity to be extremely flexible in the first round and we will be able to draft the BPA. I’d love for us to continue to bolster our o-line and then draft a QB in the second round. I think there are alot of guys like Blake Bortles, David Fales, James Garoppolo and maybe even Mettengerger with his injury or Boyd who has fallen that should be available. I think Carr is going to fly up the board come draft time and might even go top 10 as either the second or third QB off the board depending on how teams view Manziel.

Wild card might be tougher. Looking at the schedules it is completely plausible that SF could be 10-5 coming into the last week of the season, that would mean we’d have to win out to take the wildcard which would include a road win in Seattle. If SF beats Seattle then it doesn’t matter if we win out because we’d have the same record and lose the division record tie breaker. Now in that situation we’d be 11-5 and we’d need Carolina to lose 2 more games and we’d secure the last wildcard spot. I know there is still alot of football to be played and I haven’t even gone into Dallas/Philly…but, it might take 11 wins to get into the NFL playoffs this year. I personally believe that we have the opportunity to win every game we play…and I include the Seattle game…so I am not ready to go full draft mode yet.

8. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

No one is going to kick to him. No way. But please leave him back there. On occasion a punter will make a mistake and that’s when Peterson is going to make them pay.

9. By cards62 on Dec 4, 2013 | Reply

PP is a PP (proud player or pride player) so put the other LSU guy back there for a couple of games and lets see how PP responds after that. Just think how much better we would be this year if we had PP returning punts like he did his rookie season. That would be sweet!

To John The Draft Guy – I have followed your comments over the past years on drafting and you do a very good job. I watch college ball and a lot of Ohio State Football. They have their best OL this year in many years and 4 of them are seniors. Hoping you can watch them against Michigan State, excellent defense, Saturday night and let me know your thinking. Also take a look at the senior running back Carlos the beast Hyde, this guy is no Beanie Wells, and junior linebacker # 2, Ryan Shazier believe he will enter the draft this year and let me know your thinking. Hopefully OSU will win and play FSU in the title game which will be another great test for the OSU OL.

Go Cards beat the Rams

10. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 5, 2013 | Reply

cards62

I watched Michigan – Ohio St. game.

Hyde is a beast. He looks like he can break tackles and still run away from the pack. Not sure we need a RB with Ellington and Stephan Taylor drafted this year though

On the oline, I have to say the most impressive guy in that game is Taylor Lewan of Michigan. He is not flashy or overly athletic. He is just flat out solid. Reminds everyone of Jake Long since they are similar and both from Michigan and Both wore #77. I think of him as a Riley Reiff type.

As for Ohio St’s oline, they looked solid and opened holes for Hyde but it was against Michigan. A couple of them will get drafted in the middle rounds but I cant say anyone stood out.

Ryan Shazier clearly flashed and if he comes out will be a late first or second round pick. But he is a weakside LB in my opinion in the NFL and we got this guy named DWash , who is pretty good.

As for watching the Ohio st vs Michigan St, I think I will be busy. There is a little game going on here in AZ at the same time ( ASU vs Standford)

11. By cards62 on Dec 5, 2013 | Reply

Thanks John and tivo my friend,

A lot of great games on Saturday and a few good ones on Sunday.

They have ASU a 3 to 4 point favorite even with Stanford winning the first game by around 14. I will tivo this one and watch it later.

Hard for me to root for Michigan guys, but if he can be another Dan Dierdorf for us I think I will be able to look over his past.

Go Cards beat the Rams

12. By Chris on Dec 5, 2013 | Reply

Lets just beat the crap outta the Rams!

13. By CORMAC on Dec 5, 2013 | Reply