• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

There’s no place like home

Posted by Darren Urban on December 10, 2013 – 9:41 am

The Cardinals have one more home game. They’ve done a pretty good job in their first seven.

With a 6-1 home record (and San Francisco to go Dec. 29), the Cards have matched their best total in a 16-game season. And it’s the way they are playing that catches the attention. The Cardinals have averaged 27.6 points per home game this season and have won by an average of 16.5 points over their current four-game home winning streak. They have scored at least 22 points in each of their home games. They have not allowed an 100-yard rusher.

From the day Bruce Arians arrived, he made that part of his plan clear. Win all the home games, and see what you can collect on the road. The Cardinals have been a good home team since moving into University of Phoenix Stadium anyway — for all the late bumps in the Ken Whisenhunt era, the Cards either went 4-4 or 6-2 at home under his watch (three times each) — but now they have a chance to go 7-1 at home for the first time ever. (The team went 6-1 at home during the 14-game schedule in 1970, 1975 and 1976).

Of course, the Cardinals have two key road games in a row here at Tennessee and at Seattle to try and stay in the playoff hunt. But if they can do that going into the finale, there has to be some confidence going against the 49ers at University of Phoenix Stadium.

Tags:

32 Responses to “There’s no place like home”

1. By jasonc on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Greg Robinson! Not sure how well he pass protects but he is a BEAST! Even if we can’t get this guy it only helps that he would enter the draft and add to an already rich LT pool.

2. By VaCardsFan on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

While I know this is highly unlikely, I am still curious how this would play out. Right now San Fran has the better division record of any one in the west even if we beat them in our final game. What I am asking (albeit improbable) is if Seattle loses there last three games and the Cardinals win there last three games we would be in a tie both division and record wise… Who goes on to the post season?? Darren (or anyone for that matter) what is the deciding factor?

3. By Dynosoar on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

I haven’t watched the vid, but I’m looking at the frozen portion in the picture above and Coach Arians looks happy, perhaps even amused. I do feel confident we’ll beat the Titans. Oh how nice it would be to split our division this year.

I’ve watched Seattle and the 49ers this season and here’s my assessment.

Seattle is pretty much the same team as day one. The 49ers are not playing as well as on day one (close, but not as well.)

We’re a better team than day one.

This team would have held their own against Seattle and beaten San Francisco. I believe we we’ll beat the 49ers, but as close as I see it, I don’t know if we win or lose to the Seahawks.

The nice thing, Teams rarely lose a playoff game to a team that beat them twice in the regular season, so even if Seattle wins, we take them in the playoffs.

New York in February and Home Field advantage in the February following. Yeah Baby! Go Cards!

4. By VaCardsFan on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

I would also like to note that I do not find it improbable for the Cards to win there last three but that it is more unlikely the seahawks lose to the giants and rams.

5. By Dynosoar on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

PS. joe.holst, franchise tag, I don’t see it happening to Karlos, but you had me laughing for an hour or more. Sorry Karlos, but the thought of (not the reality of) this situation is just funny.

Using Adrian Peterson’s injury come back and subsequent MVP award as a prototype and given what we know Mathieu has done and watching him actually almost run entirely off the field, I’m guessing I know who the 2014 MVP award is going to go to.

It’s good to win at home. If we take care of all home games and the other three Division games, we’re 11-5. Throw in one or two more wins and we have home field advantage throughout the playoffs in almost any given season.

And to Kauaicardsfan, Aloha! I like your take on “Phoenix.” Palmer threw for 84% against the Rams, he’s definitely rising from the Ashes of the Raiders (Oakland wears the colors of ashes and this year Carson’s wearing the color of fire.)

Go Cardinals and win out! This team can certainly do it and wouldn’t that be the definition of peaking at the right time.

Cardinals ’til I Die!

6. By John A. on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Darren:
    Who do the Cardinals plan to sign to fill Tyrann’s roster spot?

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

John A –

RE: Replacement

8. By Dynosoar on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

VaCardsFan

Often, teams will finish a season with identical records. It becomes necessary, therefore, to devise means to break these ties, either to determine which teams will qualify for the playoffs, or to determine seeding in the playoff tournament. The rules below are applied in order until the tie is broken. IF three teams are tied for one playoff spot and the third team is eliminated at any step, THE tie breaker reverts to step one for the remaining two teams. If multiple playoff spots are at stake, the rules are applied in order until the first team qualifies, then the process is started again for the remaining teams.

from Wikipedia, the most trusted source for… anything

9. By Dynosoar on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

VaCardsFan,

DIVISIONAL TIE BREAKERS (First 4 Teams)

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games (games played against the same opponents).
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory (the combined won-lost-tied percentage of all the teams that a club has defeated).
    6. Strength of schedule (the combined won-lost-tied percentage of all the teams that a club has played against).
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin Toss.

10. By Dynosoar on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

VaCardsFan,

CONFERENCE TIE BREAKERS (Wild Card Teams)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2.
    2. Head-to-head, if applicable. (For ties between 3 or more teams, this step is only applied if there is a head-to-head sweep; i.e., if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory (record of all the teams they defeated that season).
    6. Strength of schedule (record of all the teams they played that season).
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin Toss.

11. By Dynosoar on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

If two teams are still tied after the eleventh tie break, it really would be a coin toss as to who should move on.

12. By VaCardsFan on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Thank you dynosoar! I did not realize they had that many tie breaker solutions in place… thanks again for the info, I really thought it would be a short answer so excuse my ignorance on the matter. Also, while it seems impossible to get to the 12th tie breaker that would be crazy for your whole post season to come down to a coin toss.

13. By Scott H on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

While it bugs me that some idiotic and short-sighted people will always view the Cardinals as a loser team with no real fan base that cares, I am SOOO proud of the people who fill that stadium every week and make it rock. Living in NJ, I’m obviously not in the area. But I look forward to coming out there for a game someday.

It’s great to be 8-5 and to know that we could easily be at least 2 games better. That Eagles loss just felt like a killer and…well, it may very well be just that. But ya know what? I’m not getting down about that. this run they are giving us is a very un-expected surprise. And a WHOLE lotta fun. They have a chance to be a winning team this year – MAYBE still a playoff team – and I look forward to having a shot at both the 49ers and Seahawks before it’s over.

The win against the Rams is HUGE for me because this division has been using us as a doormat lately and that never feels good. You can’t aspire to be a legit playoff contender when the teams in your division are kicking your rear end every time you play them. The Rams may not be a great team but they beat us up and beat us down twice last year. We needed a win against SOMEBODY in the West and to get one that was wasn’t even close / by a 20-point margin was just what this team needed. We look like a team that CAN play with the Niners and Seahawks right now and playing them both in the next 3 weeks is a great opportunity to get back in the fight in this division FOR REAL.

14. By Dr. G. on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Bottom line for a 3-way wild card tie, different divisions… here’s the legalese.

Each Division wild card winner is resolved first. (One winner)

Then all wild card division winners are compared. Head-to-head, then Conference. and awarded in that order…rarely goes beyond that.

There is a scenario where 3 teams from 1 division make the playoffs. This could happen if Carolina comes back to us.

Curious? http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Dynosaur gave much of this earlier….Here is all of it….

With the anemic Cards’ division and conference records, we need wins for us and losses from Carolina or 49ers. We hope for the help we need. It appears a 3-way won’t work for us. Other teams are sniffing too…. Go Cards!

15. By Erik on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

RE: Jasonc

He’s a great run blocker ill give you that.. but his PP is solid, I don’t think he’s athletic enough for the speed pass rushers like Robert Quinn.

If we take a LT in the 1st Round I’d rather have the Cards take LT Cameron Erving from Florida ST or LT Morgan Moses from Virginia.

16. By Dynosoar on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

VaCardsFan,

You’re welcome. I’m just glad ESPN pays someone to do the tie-breaks for me. Come to think of it, I wouldn’t mind that job. It might just be kind of fun.

I’d forgotten how many tie breaks there are. Crazy. Ignorance is always excusable, you’ve seen how often I ask questions on this site so if it wasn’t excusable, man I’d be in deep water. (Darren and John the Draft Guy, thanks for excusing my ignorance.)

By the way JTDG, what do you think of jasonc’s entry at the top of this page? I like his find. He was pushing those Alabama players around like they were high schoolers.

17. By Dr. G. on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Another look – if Carolijna AND the 49ers win just 1 game, the Cards need to run the table to make it to the dance…. A tie doesn’t seem to work for us. Still possible… Please correct me if I am not seeing this correctly…. Be well…

18. By D on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Three weeks left in the regular season, college football down to the million bowl games….time for an early NFL draft selection for the Cards.

Round 1– T Lewan. Left Tackle. A Scottsdale kid who plays like Jake Long but meaner.

Round 2– K. Ealy DE. Good player who can watch one year behind Dockett then take his job the following year if he shows progress.

Round 3– S. Morris. QB. A kid who can make all the NFL throws, just needs a year coached by our staff and to learn behind Palmer.

Round 4–C.J. Barnett SS. Maybe a future Adub.

Round 5– X. Grimble TE. If this team improves on the OL (tackle), then BA will want to use more TE’s in his offense.

Round 6– S. Redd RB. Insurance if they lose Mendahall to Free agency.

Many people think the Cards need a OLB/Pass rusher, but with Abraham, Acho, Alexander and Okafor under contract next year and maybe resigning of Benard, I think they have enough players at that spot to get the job done.

19. By jason on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Erik-

The dude can do a back flip!!! He is insanely athletic. It’s hard to tell how well he’d hold up in pass protection because of the nature of Auburn’s offense, but the guy is real. I’m all for Erving falling to us…but, if that happens it’s because someone else picked Greg Robinson first.

20. By Rick on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Rise up RED SEA!!!

21. By pacardsfan on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I know this is way off topic, but have you heard anything on Adrain Wilson? Since he was put on IR for NE, I haven’t heard anything. Do you think what ever caused him to be put on IR will cause him to maybe retire? If so, Hopefully he will re-sign w/ the Cardinals so he can retire as one:)

22. By johnnybluenose on Dec 10, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H….from what I have read, our Cardinals are supposed to play the Giants in New York next year so you will be able to see them there. I hope to make the trip from Nova Scotia. I have also read conflicting reports, one saying the Cardinals are playing Dallas at home and another has the Cardinals on the road against the Cowboys. Perhaps Darren can give us a definitive answer as to who our 2014 confirmed opponents are, outside of the usual NFC Westies(new word??).

23. By shannon robinson on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

For all the nationwide football fans and Bears crowd at the game, that Josh McCowan pass to the end zone corner with ten seconds left in the half looked impossible to complete, but for us Cardinal fans we’ve seen it before. The last pass Josh threw for the Cards was a mirror image. But that was it and we released him. I was a big fan of Josh and I’m very proud and happy for him in Chicago. Sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone and we were stubborn. Hey, I’ve done it myself so I’m not bragging either. He’s a great QB with true grit. Glad for his success as with all our alumni.

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

pacardsfan –

RE: Wilson

Not sure what you would hear from a guy on IR.

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

johnnyblue –

RE: 2014 schedule

26. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

As I am watching this tape, first thing that came to mind was Leonard Davis.
    Now don’t get me wrong, Davis was the #2 overall pick and was a probowler.

Robinson is more athletic than Davis, he slides well and was playing against a good Alabama team. That wasn’t a slam.

Another name is DJ Fluker (although DJ appears to have longer arms). Fluker has played extremely well at RT for the Chargers.

Can he play LT in the NFL? I’d really want to watch him some more. But much like Denny Green with Davis, I think the opinions of where he can play will be split.

Guard jumped out at me immediately. But I saw PP as the next Ed Reed. (ah to sign another CB and to have PP and HB roaming the middle of the field- blitzing, taking away TEs- forcing QBs to hold the ball longer and making those longer outside throws – whoops, ok I’m back)

A guy I didn’t think could play LT was Riley Reiff. I didn’t like his short arms. And although he is not the next coming of Jon Ogden, he has been solid.

What you are getting with Robinson is a very good player. A possible high pick. I think where he can play is still up for debate.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

jasonc

I looked up some scouting reports just now on Robinson and saw Matt Millian saying Robinson is the guy to watch.

With Millian’s draft history in Detroit is that a good thing or bad thing? :)

28. By davemaham on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

Dr. G

Actually a three way tie would be ok for us. We beat Carolina head to head (the first tie-breaker). If Carolina loses and we win this week, we will be right back in the eighth spot.

29. By davemaham on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

….I mean 6th, and final spot.

30. By jason on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

JTDG-

Awesome comment about Matt Millen….if he likes him that is like the kiss of death!!!

For the recored DJ Fluker has been playing LT for the Chargers for a few weeks and is playing well @ LT.

Here is my predicition: if this guy enters the draft he will have the type of combine that will make him one of the top 2 tackles in 2014.

It doens’t matter if we get Robinson because it will mean that another player falls to us…and I don’t even think that player HAS to be a LT.

31. By Chris on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

apropos home;

if i remember correctly Dan Williams family came from Memphis to New Orleans when the tragedy happened. You think it will be extra emotional for Dan playing in Tennesse? I´m feeling for him.

32. By Scott H on Dec 11, 2013 | Reply

johnnybluenose -

Thanks for the heads-up, but what I want is to see the Cardinals in THEIR home stadium, amidst a sea of red and white! I have seem them in Philly several times over the years. I want to see them out there.