After tragedy, Dan Williams goes back home

Posted by Darren Urban on December 13, 2013 – 10:00 am

In September, Dan Williams’ family — his father, mother and sister — were driving from their home in Memphis to New Orleans to watch Williams and the Cardinals play the Saints when they were in a bad accident. Thomas Williams was killed.

This weekend, Dan Williams, who missed a couple of games while being with his family and attending the funeral, will head back (close to) home when the Cardinals play at Tennessee in Nashville. The nose tackle insists it will not be emotional for him.

“Just seeing my family and friends will be great,” Williams said. “I know what happened earlier, but I am pretty much past that. I love my dad and mom. But things in life happen. My mom is getting stronger every day. A lot of my high school and college buddies will be out there, cousins, family members. I am glad to have family I can count on and will be glad to see me play.”

Williams said his sister recovered quickly. His mother is doing well too, surrounded by her Williams’ grandmother and aunts. “I talk to her every day,” Williams said. “She sounds happy on the phone, she is getting better mentally too, and I couldn’t ask for anything better. There is a lot of family near her.”

Williams, who played college ball at the University of Tennessee, also is optimistic about the game. “I’ve never lost in Nashville before in a game that counted,” he said with a smile.

DWillShotUSE

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “After tragedy, Dan Williams goes back home”

1. By beardinals on Dec 13, 2013 | Reply

Heart goes out to the big man.

2. By Mark Moreno on Dec 13, 2013 | Reply

Great Article Darren…Can we see the Cardinals where those White Jersey’s on Red Pant’s? like we did against Carolina in 2011 when Skelton-Anderson-Max Hall were QB’s

3. By Big Ken on Dec 13, 2013 | Reply

He might be ‘the big man’ but he’s still our little brother. Thanks Darren. We fans love our Cardinals, but some of these players.. they’re like our own kids. We really feel their pain. Dan, Tyrann doesn’t matter they’re part of our club. Merry Christmas guys

4. By KC on Dec 13, 2013 | Reply

We’ll be cheering for Dan here in Nashville!

5. By Dr. G. on Dec 13, 2013 | Reply

I always look for #92 coming from a pile…. and yeah, there he is again! The “Dumpster” as one of our announcers nicknamed him, is an unsung hero in the mix of our defense…. His responses show a sterling character and love for his family and friends. Sounds like he has a good support system…. My heart still goes out…

Hang in there big guy…..

6. By Big Ken on Dec 15, 2013 | Reply

yeah and lets not forget that touchdown he made earlier in the season!