Fitz not practicing, but his return still expected

Posted by Darren Urban on December 18, 2013 – 1:18 pm

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald isn’t practicing today because of his concussion but coach Bruce Arians continues to say he expects Fitz to be able to play Sunday, and quarterback Carson Palmer said the same. Palmer, in fact, said he thinks Fitzgerald will be able to practice Thursday. Fitzgerald has historically had good games against the Seahawks and his battles with cornerback Richard Sherman are always fun to watch. Going without Fitz in such an important game isn’t what the Cardinals want to do.

– It doesn’t look as good for safety Rashad Johnson (ankle), and everyone is talking about Tony Jefferson as if Jefferson will be starting. Tight end Rob Housler (groin) is also sitting out.

– Quote of the day from Arians, when asked if he will show the team video of last year’s 58-0 loss in Seattle. “No. It’s not our offense or our defense. Who gives a s***?”

Tags: , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Fitz not practicing, but his return still expected”

1. By card fan on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

Got to love BA..
    Go CARDS..

2. By Eric G on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

God I love Arians. What an excellent quote. Great news on Fitz, doubtful we could beat Seattle without him. These last two games are must wins for Arizona and Atlanta. We need their help along with New Orleans. Looking back at that first game of the season, what an impact loss that’s turning out to be.

3. By NYCardinals212 on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

Uh Oh!
    Cue the self-important fan — “Who gives a sh*t? I’ve been going to Cardinals games for 112 years. I pay your salary. I give a sh*t, and you should give a sh*t that I give a sh*t . . .”

4. By Rich on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

I love BA………..

5. By mal on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

Darren has said a few times that the Cards will be eliminated this week with a Cards loss and a Carolina win. In his statement, thats an ‘and’ — not an ‘or’.

So the flip side of Darren’s statement is that we do not have to win in Seattle to stay alive in the playoff hunt.

If Carolina loses to the Saints, then we’re still in the playoff picture, even if we lose in Seattle.

Or, if we win in Seattle, we’re still good for the playoffs no matter what happens with anybody else this weekend.

What we need this weekend is a Cardinal victory OR a Carolina loss — if we get just one of those things, we’ll be in the playoff hunt right up until that last game of the season.

6. By erik on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

I’m very excited to see what Jefferson can bring to the table these last two games. Go Cards!

7. By erik on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

Oh, and I think NYCardinals is joking…

8. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

Go on, BA, with your bad self! While I get his point and he is absolutely right, I AM hoping the guys who were here for that game last year remember the beating they took that day and how badly they were humiliated. I mean, if you aren’t motivated by THAT…then you need to have yourself checked for a pulse. They don’t have to watch film of the game. But I say there’s NO WAY it isn’t on their minds.

C’mon, Larry. Be with us for this one!

9. By perry on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

I am so pleased to see someone like coach bruce leading the Arizona cardinals in right direction.Hey coach bruce,you have a Arizona fan in Louisiana for life & tell it like it is.Let’s see some upsets in the nfl,were behind you ALL THE WAY!

10. By jakeplummersghost on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

Understand the sentiment from BA, but

Q: “No. It’s not our offense or our defense. Who gives a s***?”

A: Fitzgerald, Sendlein, Colledge, Massie, Housler, Floyd, Roberts, Washington, Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Peterson, Johnson, Feely, Zasudil, Leach and the Fan base.

Time for REVENGE!

11. By jakeplummersghost on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

And lest I forget, the Bidwills and Keim!

12. By NYCardinals212 on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

As we say our final goodbyes and begin to mourn your passing, I wish you restful peace. Though you were sometimes misunderstood, you will never be forgotten, Sarcasm. Your memory will live on.

13. By Steve on Dec 18, 2013 | Reply

I’ve gotta admit I’m starting to get tired of Rob Housler and his seemingly endless string of “injuries.” If he cant learn to play with some nagging injuries like others than find another profession.

14. By William Barry on Dec 19, 2013 | Reply

This is a game for revenge!!!!!! remember last year 58-0. Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!

15. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 19, 2013 | Reply

mal — yep, you have it exactly right. Win and we still have a shot no matter what, because one of Carolina and NO is going to lose.

Best case scenario is we win and SF loses to Atlanta. Then it’s completely in our control and we don’t have to worry about help the last week.

However, if you assume we lose to Seattle and Carolina loses to NO, then, oddly, we do want SF to beat Atlanta. Your statement “If Carolina loses to the Saints, then we’re still in the playoff picture, even if we lose in Seattle” is only true if SF beats Atlanta, since we can’t have a three-way tie at 10-6 any more than we can have one at 11-5 or else we’re out.

Carolina/NO is one of the early games; we play later Sunday; SF plays Monday. As much as it pains me to say it, if Carolina loses and we lose, Cards fans need to root for our division rivals on Monday.

16. By mal on Dec 19, 2013 | Reply

Kevin S–

Why am I not surprised you caught that?

Yes, youre absolutely right, and I almost did a p.s. to my post once I realized I had failed to mention that scenario. I always try to distill the playoff picture to its simplest terms cuz folks usually make it way more complex than it needs to be, but I boiled in down a little too much in this case. Yes, if we all lose, we end up in that dreaded 3-way tie crap again at 10-6.

Anyhow, I’m with you — the ideal thing would be for us to beat Seattle and SF to lose. Then that last game would be awesome! Too bad its probably also the most unlikely scenario.

I’m just a poser, tho — youre the master at this playoff breakdown stuff. Do you have a background in math?

17. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 19, 2013 | Reply

No, I’m a lawyer by trade. But we lawyers are trained to read statutes that have a lot of sub-parts and contingencies so understanding the tiebreaker scenarios is right up my alley.

18. By MartinK on Dec 19, 2013 | Reply

Kevin and Mal,
    Don’t get too comfortable yet. Have you considered the possibilities of ties? It is conceivable that we or San Francisco may have to deliberately lose or tie our last game to make it into the playoffs which would be facilitated because we are playing late and know the outcome of the Saints and Panthers games….
    (Maybe there could be a complication of the Eagles and Bears winning out!)
    Cheers!