So now it’s about the Bucs

Posted by Darren Urban on December 24, 2013 – 8:01 am

Go … Lavonte David?

In case you missed it last night — and I’m sure most of you didn’t — the 49ers beat the Falcons to clinch a playoff berth and eliminate the one opportunity left for the Cardinals to control their own postseason destiny. The Falcons almost posted a miracle finish, scoring a touchdown to pull within three and then recovering the onside kick and driving deep into San Francisco territory. Then this happened. And the Cards’ hopes were kicked right in the wrong place.

(And as a quick aside, I had no problem with the Falcons passing. Ryan was shredding the Niners in the fourth quarter with the pass and there, you are playing to win, not to settle for a field goal and overtime.)

So that leaves one playoff scenario for Arizona. Beat San Francisco at home, first of all. Second, the Cards must hope the Tampa Bay Buccaneers go into New Orleans and knock off (or at least tie) the Saints. Sure, the Saints are favored by a whopping 12 points. Sure, they are 7-0 at home with an average margin of victory of more than 17 points. Hey, the Bucs only lost by two to the Saints earlier in the season (in Tampa, and the Saints are a totally different team on the road.)

The NFL, into drama as it is, moved the kickoff of the Saints-Bucs game from an early to a late game, meaning the Cardinals’ chances will be riding along in parallel games with the 2:25 p.m. kickoff. Otherwise, the Cards might have known they were eliminated before they even took the field. I can’t see how Bruce Arians and his guys won’t be scoreboard watching in this case.

It’s about winning 11 games now for the Cardinals, and as Arians said, letting the chips fall. But the Cards have come within less than two minutes of two monumentally needed outcomes this weekend before being punched in the face twice — the Panthers were on the verge of a loss before Cam Newton threw a game-winning TD pass with 23 seconds left, and NaVarro Bowman’s game-changing interception last night was with 1:28 on the clock — and those chips are landing exactly where the Cards do not want them. One chip left to play.

Tags: , , , , , ,

48 Responses to “So now it’s about the Bucs”

1. By Nick Pepe on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

I still believe.

Either way, it’s been a wonderful year and the future as bright as can be.

But keep all appendages crossed people and this ride may not be over.

Merry Christmas everyone !!
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

2. By joe holst on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

These terrible teams aren’t helping the Cards. Saints give up a long touchdown in 20 seconds to the Panthers, Falcons choke and unfortunately the Buccanears will choke too. The playoff system needs to be re evaluated by the NFL and the Cardinals should be compensated a late round draft pick for the leagues incompentancy. I don’t like being the wait til next year guy but it is on, I can’t wait.

3. By Eric G on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Stinks that it may be out of the Cards hands, but even at 11-5 or 10-6 depending on Sunday, this has been a fantastic year to be a Cardinals fan. No longer can teams pencil in a win at home when the red birds come for a visit. Just imagine how much better the Cards will be next year if they can shore up that O-Line. Let’s get that 11th win and set the record for wins in AZ. Then, let’s go for a 12 win season next year.

Thank you Michael Bidwill, Steve Keim, Bruce Arians, Todd Bowles, and the rest of the staff that has made this one of the funnest years to be a Cardinals fan.

4. By vsancards on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Yeah the Niner defense stepped up in the closing minutes. We’ll be there for the game this weekend and it should be a slugfest with the Niners still having a shot at the division title! #GoCards

5. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Kevin S Mesa,
    It felt like James Harrison all over.

The play call was a conservative one. It was a wr screen . Reading the blitz, Matty Ice makes the call. The slot receiver blocks, the outside receiver comes under, catches the pass and with no LBs due to the blitz, he gets behind his block and strolls in for a TD.

But the niner CB read it and jumped the route and Bowmen, who was blitzing, ran to the ball. The ball pops up, Bowman is off and running, and the cards playoff chances seemed to run away with him.

What I saw from this game ; The Cards are playing better football than the niners. After knocking off the mighty seahawks in seattle, I think we handle the niners easily.
    I think every player in that locker room believes and I think most fans do.

After the seahawks and niners, who is left? Cowboys, Eagles, Bears, Packers, Panthers, Saints?
    Can you honestly tell me we are not in that league?

As exciting as the 2013 season has been ( a chance to win 11 games – never done before in AZ) , and the possible disappointment of missing the playoffs, I have to say, this offseason will be like none other.

How could you not have hope of 2014? How can you not trust the staff when they face the FA’s and draft?
    We get Cooper back, we get those other OLBs, Ocho and Okefer back to help. We will get Honey Badger back at some point and we will have another draft and round of FAs to choose from.

Palmer and his receivers will have another year of gelling together and understanding the system.

With Warner, we were a Warner driven team. We were terrible on defense and no running game. When Warner left, we were bad again.

What BA has is a top ranked defense with an offense that can play with anyone and will get better with Cooper and other improvements on the line.

I think for the first time, us fans can stop looking to “fix” the obvious problems the cards have year after year, and sit back and enjoy one of the best football teams in the league year after year.

Folks, we are in good hands.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

On another note;

I have always been a Q fan. His toughness and great hands draws you in as a fan.

But watching him with that niner helmet and uniform helping the niners move into the playoffs and watching the cards playoff hopes go down with it, slowly building up, a dislike for Q came out.

He is with the hated niners. His goal this week and next week is to help the niners win, which in turn, knocks the cards out. He is the enemy.

Sure I met him several times and he is great with the fans. I once watched him stay a very long time in Flagstaff signing autographs, long after most the other cards had left. I cheered him with the Ravens and was happy he finally got his ring.

But his trademark grin last night turned into a smug niner arrogant smile. As long as he wears that uniform, I have no love for him.

Q, I don’t like you. I hope you and your niners go down in the first round of the playoffs and I hope the niners cut you at the end of the year. (you know, so you can go to another team and I can cheer you on again)

7. By skodly on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

We can’t blame the NFL’s playoff format.As great as 11 wins would be,we had our chances at 12 or even 13.The future is bright,but the future is now and it just stinks to see such teams as the Bears,and Packers going after a playoff spot that they truly don’t deserve.One more thing watching the NFL network all week everyone else was being talked about the Cowboys,Eagles,Bears, and Packers especially GreenBay to the point of making me sick.Can these people pull their heads out of their asses and give our team a little credit for what they truly deserve a playoff spot and being one of the best teams in football. GO CARDS CRUSH NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!

8. By William Barry on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

I’m not giving up hope. Remember this will be a Bucs-Saints Division game. Brees has not be playing as well as of late. The last time NO played a 4:25pm game, vs the Rams, they lost. I think this is a upset in the making.

9. By Cardsfn on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Heart breaking to see this team make miracles happen and miss the playoffs to teams with lesser of a record. I am dam proud to be a cardinals fan. Now we need to take all this out on the 49ers on Sunday in front of the Red Sea. Would like to see Palmer and Dansby here next year. Go Cards!!!

10. By Mike G on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is cool!—-Great win by the Card’s on Sunday. The defense just played a great game holding the Seahawks in check and stopping their home winning streak. I hope the Buc’s can pull off the upset but it should be exciting with
    both teams playing at the same time. Thought Powers played a real good game as well as Dan Williams. You just hope the Card’s can keep winning and get a Buc’s upset. Hey Darren–Where Does that game by the defense against Seattle rank in your mind???? It has to be in the top 3—you would think—Merry Christmas!!!!!

11. By Trip on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I have to disagree with you on how the Falcons handled the game once they got to the 11. With that much time left, i think they should have run twice, and then passed if needed. With that much time on the clock, the 49ers would have plenty of time to go down and score. With that being said, stranger things have happened, and maybe the Bucs can help us out. Thanks for all of the articles, posts and work you do to keep our fan base up to date. It would have been a great week of anticipation had we gotten a little help, but still a great season. If we do get in, it would be the final piece to guarantee Coach Arians the well deserved coach of the year. I look forward to him being the leader of our team for many years to come, an i want to echo the post above that talks about the off season being an experience we have not had ever. Steve Keim is everything I had hoped he would be, and his fit with Coach is perfect. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

12. By RED C on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

It`s not over yet I have a good feeling the Bucs upset the Saints in New Orleans this weekend. They played them extremely close in their first meeting and the Bucs have a pretty good defense. This game will be Tampa Bays Superbowl so to speak. I believe the 49ers aren`t as good as the NFL analyst make them out to be. They are over rated in my book and can`t wait til our defense dismantles Kaepernick and the rest of the 49ers. GO CARDS!!!

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Seattle game defense

It was an excellent performance.

14. By debeezy on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

@joe holst–Not sure why we would be compensated…imagine how teams in this same position have felt over the past decades. They didn’t receive compensation. No one owes us anything, it’s just how the rules are

15. By ryan on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

“one chip left”

time to go all in with a chip and a chair!

GO CARDS! GO BUCS!

16. By louis on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

let/s start strong next year .

17. By Rich on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

If we don’t get to the playoffs, but still lose players and coaches to new teams in the off season because of our regular season success…….that would suck.

18. By LadyBird04 on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Who Would’a thought in August

Cards beat Seattle – in Seattle

Cards on verge of 11-5

Cards in playoff talks

Hey who would have believed we’d have a winning record?

I’m so happy they have turned the team around so conclusively in one year. Love to watch the games again. Last couple of years have been painful. If we make the playoffs – super. If not, next year will give us another shot and the players/coaches will be familiar with each other and the schemes.

19. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

I would’ve at least run the ball once on 2nd and 1, more to take time off the clock than anything else. But I have no problem with the pass either. I mean, that’s a pretty conservative play, and normally the worst that happens is it gets broken up. You can’t predict it’s going to get tipped like that (just like you can’t predict Housler’s going to tip a ball thrown a bit behind him in the end zone, which was actually the safest place to put that pass). And running backs fumble too, so there’s risk in that as well.

And as far as fans calling for something to be done about the playoff format — get over it. The division races and getting to play your rivals twice every year is one of the things that makes the NFL so much fun. It also leads to imbalance like we are seeing this year, but let’s face it — we went to the Super Bowl after a 9-7 season in which we were 6-0 against a very weak division (a 7-9 team, a 4-12 team and a 2-14 team). Did we deserve to be in the playoffs over 9-7 Tampa Bay or Dallas that year, each of which played in a division where the LAST place team was 8-8? It’s the way it goes. In the NBA, if the regular season ended today, Denver at 14-13 would be out of the playoffs in the West, even though they’d have the 4th-best record in the East and 5 teams would make the playoffs in the East with sub-.500 records.

20. By infitzwetrust on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Although it would suck to miss the playoffs, I think the playoff structure should stay the way it is. If we end up 3rd place in our division even at 10-6 or 11-5, were still third in the division and should be lucky to be in contention – like we are now – for a playoff spot.. When I look back to the year seattle won the division at 7-9 and hosted a home playoff game, It wouldn’t be fair for a first place division winner to give up its playoff spot to say, a 3rd place team with a better record.

Regardless of how tough or weak the division is, you Have to win within the division, and thats our achilles ankle at the moment. A team with a loosing division record doesn’t deserve to be in the playoffs. Just my opinion.

Merry xmas everyone, and here’s to hoping we get a ticket to the dance.

21. By BluePitt on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Do you know as of today who is the NFC’s leading WR?

22. By johnnybluenose on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

@John The Draft Guy….yes, I watched the game last night and my stomach turned just as it did when Harrison made his big play in the SuperBowl. It irritates me to no end to know that we have virtually no chance to advance to the playoffs this year. I feel like the Saints and the Niners were almost playing with my emotions….allowing me to get my hopes up and then cruelly pulling the rug out from under my feet and laughing at me. I admit it. I don’t like it when my team loses. But unlike you, I am not looking forward to the off-season. Not yet, anyway. You see, I like this team. I like the way they play, the way they compete, the way the o-line pulls together even when they are over-matched, the way our defensive secondary steps up when someone gets hurt. And the off-season brings change. It always does. Last year I welcomed change. We all did. This year we can expect to lose ten or more of our guys. This will probably make us better next year. That is always the goal. Get better. But I am going to miss the guys, probably the older guys and the replacement guys who contributed this year. They will be replaced and we will keep going but this was such an uplifting team compared to what we had to endure the last few years. I will remember them.

23. By Tbru on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Who woulf have ever thought 10 maybe 11 wins wouldn’t be enough in the NFC west. If the Cards were still in the NFC least they would by top of the heap. If the ’09 team was the worst team ever to make the playoffs, this years team might be the best team not to make the playoffs. GO BUCS!!!!

24. By Big Ken on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

I’m with Nick Pepe. Lets go Cardinals! 11-5 and no playoff berth historic time.

25. By georgiebird on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

The Cards could be the 3rd best team in the NFC and probably not in the playoffs- and that is a very unfortunate outcome.
    But in sports today, especially with Free Agency, there is no coat-tails from year to year. Anyone looking for the Cardinals to surely make the playoffs next year because of a sensational 2013 is sadly mistaken. Each year stands on its own. A couple of years ago, the Washington Nationals decided to rest star pitcher Stephen Strasburg because the Nationals would be in the playoffs for years to come. Resting Strasburg actually cost the Nationals dearly in the 2012 playoffs and the Nationals didn’t make the playoffs in 2013 and things don’t look that promising going forward.
    I am hoping for a miracle ending and the Cardinals getting into the playoffs this year. If the Cards miss out this year, Arians might have to win his 3rd straight Coach of the Year for the Cards to be in the playoffs in 2014 .

26. By Nick Pepe on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

Rich –

That’s pretty pessimistic

27. By ored on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

losing players and coaches is the way the nfl works,we just keep adding and coaching up.whatever happens,will be looking forward to next year-the middle year of keims 3 yr.plan-new draft,new free agent market,healthy players returning,emphasis on the o-line and bringing the offense up to par with the defense…we should a major factor in all games.

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

BluePitt –

RE: NFCW WR

I haven’t looked it up.

29. By best defense on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

what happens if The Panthers looses to The Falcons and The Saints win against the Bucs? do the Cardinals get in?

30. By Mark Moreno on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

All I want for Christmas is a Cardinal’s Playoff Berth!! Is that too much to ask for Santa lol…Let’s Go Buc’s!! and Cardinal’s!!

31. By jasonc on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Georgiebird-

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to you. I see that you’ve already gotten a jump on your negative outlook for next season, congrats!

32. By jetstreamgreen81 on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Proud of the team and the total domination of the Seahawks @ their place especially after the but whipping last year. To beat SF and go 11-5 would be awesome and to miss the playoffs would suck but we have ourselves to blame. The St Louis game to begin the year, the first SF game, and the Philly game come to mind. Team on right track and Keim is proving he should have been in charge a long time ago. Getting Cooper back and the new draft picks along with hopefully keeping Dansby @ a cost that is effective for the team would be awesome and help keep the team moving forward. Would love to get a good TE in the draft along with a good LT if we can’t sign one in FA. Hoping for TB to beat Brees and the Saints although Brees is one of my Favorite Players in the NFL and a great person off the field in all that he has done for NO. Go Cards and whip the 4whiners.

33. By billdakamackattack on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

The Saints are not in good shape right now. They are struggling to protect Drew Bree’s at LT/RT and defenses are shredding their interior line getting pressure on Bree’s right up the middle. They lost their Starting Safety Kenny Vaccaro. Meaning the middle of the saints backfield is wide open for Glennon. If the Buc’s come into this game wanting to win and knock the Saints out of the playoffs , they definitely have a decent chance of winning.

34. By billdakamackattack on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

By Cardsfn on Dec 24, 2013 | Reply

________________________________________________________________

Palmer will most definitely be back next year. Arizona signed him to a 3 contract. 2 years guaranteed and Arizona has the option of picking up the 3rd. Karlos Dansby was only signed to a 1 year contract because of D. Washington being suspended to start the first 4 games of the year & Arizona drafting Kevin Minter in the second round of 2013 draft, Dansby was signed to play next to Minter until Washington came back. Keim didn’t forsee Dansby playing like a absolute beast. Steve Keim is going to aggressively pursue Dansby and try to sign him to a 2-3 year contract, which if Arizona does, I am not sure what they do with Minter.

Carson Palmer has been on absolute fire the last 2 months. With a new QB in a new offensive system, and all of the receivers and everyone around Palmer learning the new system, Palmer and the Cardinals offense struggled for the first 5 or so games of the season. About half of Palmer’s INTs were not on Palmer earlier this year, receivers were either sitting down in coverage at the wrong spot, or flat out running the route wrong. Going into the Seattle game, Palmer had been ranked a top 5 NFL QB statistically over the last 7 games/weeks. Palmer had a 69.8% Completion Percentage, 286 passing yards per game , 8.6 YD AVG Per Pass, 12TDs to 4INTs, 106 Passer rating, & QBR of 74 over the last 7 games going into the Seattle game. Palmer had the NFLs #2nd best completion percentage over those 7 weeks as well , Palmers 69.4% CMP rate was second to only Drew Brees 69.8%CMP percentage. Palmer struggled in Seattle, but almost every QB struggles at Century Link field in SEA. Kaepernick threw 0 TDs and 3INTs and SF was beat down 29-3, Drew Brees threw for 147 yards and was harassed all game. Palmer will do better in SEA next season with a upgraded O-Line.

Carson Palmer has had a good 1st year in Arizona though with everyone around Palmer just in year one of Arians complex offense. Palmer is on pace to throw for over 4,000+YDs and 24-25 Touchdowns. Palmer ranks as a top 10 QB statistically in many categories. Palmer’s 7.39 yards per attempt AVG is ranked 7th in the NFL for QBs who started atleast 10 games. Palmer’s 3,867 passing yards is ranked 8th in the NFL. Palmer’s 64% (63.9) completion percentage is tied for 6th , Romo & Foles join him both with 63.9% completion perentages. Palmers 22TDs is going enough to tie for 13th. With Arizona drafting a LT in round one of the 2014 draft and Arizona getting 2013 1st round 7th overall pick Jonathan Cooper back healthy for next season, with Bobby Massie taking over at RT, Palmer will have a offensive line that can actually protect him & he along with all his offensive weapons will be in year 2 of Arians offense, so Palmer should have a even better season next season.

35. By billdakamackattack on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

What really sucks is even the 49ers Loss’s are haunting us. Had the Ref’s not made that BS roughing the passer call on SFs Ahmad Brooks when the 49ers played the Saints, a game SF would of won if not for that BS Call and should of won. If the Saints had lost that game they only have 9 wins right now, meaning Arizona would be the #6 seed right now going into a win and your in game against SF This weekend. Hopefully the Buc’s knock of the Taints.

36. By Scott H on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Geez….I swear, as I watched Bowman return that INT that put the 49ers into the playoffs – AND eliminated the opportunity for the Cards to get there by beating the 49ers – it was like watching James Harrison all over again. dammit…

And now, we get to depend on the Buccs….just wonderful.

Hey, whatever. This season is a resounding success, no matter what, and a win against San Fran to make it to 11-5 would still send me into the off-season with a smile. It’s just a shame the games have to end, ya know? This team is SOOO much fun right now, I want to see more games!

37. By Andy Kw on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Darrelle Revis, Dashon Goldson, Jonathan Banks, and Mark Barron: Shut down Drew Brees. Your secondary is so talented and now is time to save Greg Schiano’s job. Intercept him and stop Jimmy Graham.

Lavonte David, Gerald McCoy and Adrian Clayborn: pressure Drew Brees all day and sack him. Stop WR Kenny Stills and don’t let WR Marques Colston get loose. Darren Sproles and Pierre Thomas will be focused on the screen so anticipate their attack. RB Mark Ingram will be focused in the middle so he will be attack the inside of the defensive line. Stop him, pressure him, and never let Sproles out of your sight. The Rams confused Drew Brees so study their win and use that to your advantage.

GO TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. By Nick Pepe on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

@jason-

Well played. I hate the pessimists!!
    Merry Christmas

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Jonny Walker Sponsored (cheers!)

39. By dan on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

The Bucs have a good defense. If Mike Glennon can lead his team on a few long sustained touchdown drives, his team has a solid shot at a victory.

40. By clssylssy on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

The odds of the Bucs winning in the DOME against the Saints are slim to none but that’s what everybody said about us winning in Seattle! Freak events happen …rarely, but still not beyond the realm of possibilities. I notice that the always bragadocious Saints fans have been VERY quiet recently although they claim our success to be because of “luck”…LOL! I’ve even started hearing a lot of excuses about how Drew is hurt, yada, yada, yada, having to point out proudly, that Palmer has been playing hurt for the last several games as well as Fitz and others but, have played tough with purpose! It’s almost like there is great trepidation in the Big Easy over this final game Sunday and a little of that Black and Gold swagger is not so pronounced; it feels good for other teams to start getting toned down and maybe a little nervous because of the Cards! I notice a lot of newbies on this site who apparently weren’t around during the ’08 SB run, minimizing that historic time and while this team is playing lights out, getting to the Big Dance, whether it’s by a 9-7 or a 11-5, is what is important. We just need to get in the door so we can be the masters of our own destiny! This caliber of football the Cards are playing is great to watch, this team has made football fun which is VERY much like that magical season and something some teams never experience! As a footballl fan first, a player advocate second, I can appreciate a lot of players(and coaches) in the league for their excellence as outstanding athletes and their contributions to the game. Anquan Boldin is right up there on my list no matter who he plays for, as are many of the other 9er players which makes competing against them all the better.They are a VERY GOOD & solid football team (better on the road than the Hawks) but I feel confident that our Cards are ready to seal the deal on Sunday :)
    We need to rattle Kaep in much the same way we did Wilson, contain him and stay the course. START STRONG, PLAY SMART, FINISH STRONG…the Red Sea is Rising Up!

41. By Thomas77 on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

RE: all this talk of losing coaches/players next year…

I’m assuming the folks that are concerned about losing coaches are thinking more specifically about Todd Bowles. Here’s why I don’t see him going anywhere. If you’ll remember, after a slow start, Ray Horton did some pretty impressive things here his first year. We were all concerned about losing him. He went on to interview for some HC spots in the following off-season, but was picked up by none. There were a couple reasons for that, in my mind. 1) Teams who are looking for a HC want a track record of success, (ie., several years, not just one year.) 2) He’s a defensive mind. The modern trend is to go with offensive minds for HC, (ie., Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians, Chip Kelly, Mark Trestman, Rob Chudzinski, etc.) Not one defensive coordinator was picked up as a HC this past off season, and that includes Ray Horton! In fact, if anything, over the past few years, defensive minded HC’s have been on the decline (ie., Lovie Smith, Wade Phillips, etc.). Greg Schiano was picked up in 2012, but is arguably on his way out, after only two seasons. My point being, I don’t see Todd Bowles being in major demand as a HC, which in my opinion, would be the only reason he would leave AZ.

As far as players are concerned. It’s hard to say. I think Keim’s philosophy surrounding the “1 year contract” has played itself out well this season, but we’ll have to see how he is able to follow up on that. While there is concern about Dansby, I’d have to hold out hope with Darren that his age may be a big factor in his remaining in AZ. He’s played lights out this year, teams may not want to invest in him longer term at this age. I think AZ has the leg up in this one. The only real concern I have player wise, is Carson Palmer. He’s been good for us, but he’s only a stop gap. I don’t see him going past two more years. We need a future QB…

42. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Billdakamackattack –

Yeah, I thought about that call too the other day. And watching the SF/Atlanta game, not much was made of it after the two teams put up 35 points in the 4th quarter, but a little more than halfway through the 3rd quarter, do you remember a 3rd and 19 play where the Atlanta defender got flagged for pass interference on Boldin for barely touching him? SF would’ve been punting but instead the drive was extended for what at that point was the game-tying FG. Obviously you can’t say the game hinged on that play the way you can about a play in the last 30 seconds, but still, it changed the course of the game from that point. Maybe it’s just me, but there seem to have been a lot more calls where the referee’s discretion — whether it be on a pass interference call, or on a late hit or “defenseless receiver”-type play — has come into play and where the calls have been very questionable. I don’t expect them to get every call right and I realize that some calls — like whether the ball hit the ground or not on a reception — are nearly impossible to make in real time given the speed of the game. That’s what replay is there to fix. Problem is, replay isn’t allowed on the penalty calls… so when a guy calls pass interference when it was obviously not there (like on the Boldin play I just mentioned), all we can do is cringe.

43. By clssylssy on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Thomas77…Let me remind you that Bill Billicheck,one of the greatest and most accomplished coaches AND managers in the NFL is a defensive mind and that if you look at the most strong contender teams, their defenses win championships! In recent years some of the most successful coaches have come directly from the college ranks and have no real NFL resume of successes (Carroll & Kelly/USC, Oregon) and the trend is actually toward these younger and more progressive coaches. Jim Harbaugh pretty much created the Stanford program as it is today, before going to the 9ers as Head Coach. Whether Todd Bowles or Ray Horton are picked up as a HC probably is a little more complex, than being defensive minds. The reality of the fact is that every year, the team is different both with regard to players as well as coaching staff and this group will not be back fully in tact after the end of football this season.
    The issues of bad calls is as old as the game of football itself and there will always be questionable or bad calls. Winners don’t make excuses or whine incessantly as it’s counterproductive, but, know how to improvise, adapt, and overcome to win against all odds.

44. By Thomas77 on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

@ clssylssy

At the risk of driving this blog further off topic, I just wanted to state that I am in no way downplaying Defensive Coordinators or Defenses in general. It wasn’t meant as a bash on them. I was simply making the point that in the most recent years, NFL teams have been shifting towards a more offensive focus. Most of the Head Coaches that are being hired are typically offensive minded, with at least a few years of proven record/experience, whether they be from the NFL or from the College ranks. I’m not saying that DC make bad head coaches. Heck, Ron Rivera’s primary focus was defense prior to becoming HC of Carolina, and he’s doing pretty well. I was just stating that with NFL teams focus on Offense, I don’t see Todd Bowles as being in demand as a HC during this offseason. And you’re right, there are other factors that would go with that other than simply because his focus is Defense. But I think my point has been made, Bowles isn’t going anywhere…

45. By geggam on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

10-5 with a shot at the playoffs… in a rebuild year ;)

46. By Scott H on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Seems like we’ve gotten no help from anyone to get where we are right now. The Dolphins had the Panthers beat a few weeks back and blew it. The Saints had the Panthers beat last Sunday and blew it. The Falcons had the 49ers beat on Monday night and they blew it. But the Cardinals are still standing because they keep winning and taking care of their own business. And that is all that you can ask of anyone. I don’t imagine we’re going to be helped by the Buccs on Sunday. Just seems like too much to ask. Don’t know if the Buccs are even interested in trying to win a game at this point. And the Saints….please. While they couldn’t manage to stop the Panthers from a game-winning TD in the last minute last week, I’m sure they’ll play the best game of their season this week and win by 30. Friggin’ bums…

Know what? WHO CARES? Let’s just go out and win this game because we CAN win this game. Let’s take care of our business and, well…screw everybody else. We take this level of play into next year, it won’t be the Cardinals who will need help – it will be the rest of the NFC needing help.

I’ll route like crazy for the Buccs. But if all we have left is 60 minutes of football, then let’s play the hell out of those 60 minutes and win one more game simply because there is one more game to win. We’re already proud. Let’s just put an exclamation point on it and go into the off-season KNOWING the Cardinals are better than most of the teams who made the playoffs.

47. By BluePitt on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

@Darren,
    I thought it was Floyd.. but just found out it was Q (Boldin)..

48. By clssylssy on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Actually, the Bucs, like most teams, including the Cards, are playing better. The Panthers are #2 in the Power Rankings and the Saints, while a very fine football team are having a plague of injuries, including a knee injury that has limited Drew Brees in practice this week. This is a time of year when NOTHING is as to be taken at what the stats read and teams seem to be rising from the ashes (Packers may get Rogers back this week). The last power ranking I read had the Cards at #5 and the Saints at #7 which will be like being kissed by your sister if we don’t make the playoffs. I totally believe we are capable of beating anyone at this point and all we need is to get our foot in the door of the Big Dance. This team is SB ready (and I am critical and no cool-aide drinker) and we have the play caller to get us the Lombardi that was within our grasp. Let’s be LOUD & PROUD as we FINISH STRONG by defeating the 9ers!