On Christmas, notes like red-on-red

Posted by Darren Urban on December 25, 2013 – 11:09 am

Christmas day, and the Cardinals will have a practice later this afternoon. Until then, a few tidbits to drop (if you happen to be reading):

– The Cardinals will, not surprisingly, wear red-on-red for the finale against the 49ers. The Cards have worn red-on-red twice before this season and have won, and have won eight straight red-on-red games dating back to 2010. It does make sense here in the holiday season to go all Santa Claus with the look.

– With a win, the Cards would finish 7-1 at University of Phoenix Stadium this season. As a franchise, the Cards have never won seven home games in a season once the schedule was balanced on home and away games (the Cards topped it three times in the 1920s when almost all their games were home games.)

– Four Cardinals are chasing offensive statistical plateaus in this last game. QB Carson Palmer needs 133 yards passing to reach 4,000 this season. Wide receiver Michael Floyd needs 50 yards to reach 1,000 yards receiving. Rookie running back Andre Ellington needs 19 yards of offense to reach a combined 1,000 rushing and receiving this season. And Larry Fitzgerald needs 159 yards receiving to reach 1,000. That is unlikely, especially against the 49ers, but you never say never.

– Palmer is up for the NFL’s GMC Never Say Never player of the week after his late drive/TD pass against Seattle. You can vote for that here.

Tags: , , , , ,

17 Responses to “On Christmas, notes like red-on-red”

1. By SteveG on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Merry Xmas Darren..Thanks for the great coverage all year…..

2. By RED C on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

ALL I GOTTA SAY ITS BEEN ONE HECK OF A RIDE THIS SEASON. THIS TEAM IS FOR REAL AND THAT DEFENSE IS POETRY IN MOTION. I STILL BELEIVE THE BUCS CAN PULL AN UPSET IN THE SUPERDOME SO LETS GET AFTER THE 49ERS FULL FORCE AND SEND THEM HOME WITH THEIR TALES BETWEEN THEIR LEGS. GOOOO CARDS!!!

3. By Craig on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Would like to say Thank you to the Bidwill’s for seeing what they had in Keim and then Arians. Giving them both the head jobs and turning a losing franchise into a winner. Arians is a great coach but Keim is the future of the Cardinals. This team will go as far as Keim can take us. What a great decision maker you are Keim. Totally believe in you. Love this team. Cardinals forever. GO CARDS. This is just the start of something special.

4. By Heksolson on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Merry Xmas Darren and Cardinals fans, wanna say thank you for the hard work displayed on this virtual home for the worldwide Cardinals fans! Happy reading I have had here all year long!

It is also a pleasure to hear the Cardinals Underground podcasts and watch all the vids, no doubt I´m enjoying this ride as I never did before, specially in mid 80s, being a kiddo fan of the Cardinals in a place like Mexico City where everybody was a Cawboys fan and no one cared about our birds and their games!

I remember I was thrilled to the bone with the few newspapers lines about the sundays games… those were the times of Neil Lomax, Roy Greene, Gene Stallings, etc… So, this means a lot to me now! GO CARDS!!

5. By Eric G on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Merry Christmas everyone! All I want is a Cardinals and Buccaneers win.

6. By Eric G on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Oh, and remember everyone, all hope is not lost yet. Just remember, I’m sure Packers fans thought all hope was lost back on December 28, 2003 almost ten years ago to the day. Their rivals were facing a 2-13 team and were all but assured a win until a plucky QB named Josh McCown threw a ball to Nate Poole with no time left on the clock. Let’s hope the Buccaneers channel that same magic for the Cardinals. .

7. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

The Bucs play D and are a lot better’n when we played ‘em. Probably show up like Falcons. Reasonable possibility they pull it off, even if, admittedly, not likely. I’ll be okay with 11 wins to end the season, but there is something about this team … so we play and watch the games starting at 2:25 pm and see just what destiny delivers :)

… on accountta the only thing you ever know is you never know…

Great posting Darren and all the Cardinalies… and Godspeed to any players reading just for sport;)

8. By Corgon on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

Merry Xmas for the red sea!

9. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 25, 2013 | Reply

At the beginning of the season I stated I was cautiously optimistic about BA, his coaching staff and the new players the Cards picked up. Now…. I can say I am very impressed the way the Cards have played during the second half of the season. The way this team is now playing I would bet that if the Cards get into the playoffs they would be Super Bowl bound. With a little improvement on offense I don’t see anybody beating the Cards in the NFC…

Dansby’s statemnt on Bowles, would leave one to think that Dansby will be a Card again next year.

It would be a real kick in the butt for the Cards to end up 11-5 and not make the playoffs.

I wonder if the Cards do make it to the playoffs, if would they get any credit from the ESPN/NFL Network Analysts. The are falling all over themselves (ad nauseum)talking about Romo beating a 3-8 Redskins team in the last few seconds. Meanwhile, the Cards go into Seattle and shut down one of the best teams in the NFL… and it is barely mentioned. The Cards are the “Rodney Dangerfield” team of the NFL- They don’t get any respect from any of the football analysts.

10. By Rich on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Go Cardinals! See you at the stadium!!

11. By Big Ken on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

redrum! redrum!

12. By joe67 on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

NJ CARDS, your last statement about ESPN/NFL was spot on. I kept swithching back and forth and that is ALL they would talk about. But then that was the Cowboys AND an east coast team so they probably had their orders. It was pretty sickening and disgusting!!

13. By Dynosoar on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

I didn’t even know who Bruce Arians was during our search for a new coach. I know I didn’t want Andy, I wanted a Kelly (Notre Dame’s or Oregon’s) or Urban Meyer. Who can’t love what Urban Meyer’s done every where he goes.

Bidwill and then Bidwill/Keim saw things I didn’t have access to see and we did good. We did really, really good. Coach Arians and Keim were the best pickups of the season.

I said it back in July that we’d be in the playoffs and I stand by it (well, we didn’t get the 14 wins I felt we could get, but we had the Rams, the 49ers and the Eagles, that was our 14, after this weeks win of course.

For once, the bookie/referee/storyline has our back. Talk about an exciting storyline in the second week of the playoffs being setup, a rematch of the Panthers with the 49ers and a rematch of the Cardinals in Seattle’s stadium.

We have the win and the Bucaneers will play for their current jobs and resume for the offseason, we’re in. We will not go silently into that good night.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Looking forward to a twelfth win this season vs Packers/Bears or Eagles/Cowboys in two weeks.

14. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Just saw Brees showed up on the Saints’ most recent injury report as being limited. Looks like it’s nothing major, but we need all the help we can get.

15. By Jesus on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I have a question. Say, if Carolina loses to Atlanta and the Saints beat Tampa, they finish in a tie. Who gets the division? If the Saints do then the Cards get in with a win because we hold the tie breaker over Carolina, right?
    Do you know who holds the tie breaker between Carolina and Saints? And why.

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Jesus —

RE: Carolina

Covered a few times now:

17. By William Barry on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

This team is really playing really good as of late, especially the defense. One can never say never, who knows, I really think the Bucs can knock off the saints at home. Brees has not been playing well of late, and the last time I checked, the saints lost a 4:25pm game to the rams. So lets win, and hope the bucs win. This will really make my Christmas and the new years just super. Go Cards. Thanks, Darren for coverage all year.