Dansby, Bethel wait for Pro Bowl decision

Posted by Darren Urban on December 26, 2013 – 4:35 pm

The Pro Bowl players will be announced Friday night at 7 p.m. Arizona time during a special on NFL Network (and you’ll get the info here too, on azcardinals.com), but for now, the Cardinals hoping to go can only wait. Cornerback Patrick Peterson seems like a lock to make his Pro Bowl appearances three-for-three in his young career, and defensive end Calais Campbell is certainly deserving.

There are a couple of other deserving Cards too, and they might be the most intriguing storylines. One is special teamer Justin Bethel, who has had a fantastic season. So too has linebacker Karlos Dansby, who is seeking his first Pro Bowl bid in his 10th NFL season. Both are helped by the fact in the new Pro Bowl format in which conferences do not matter — all the choices from a position could conceivably come from just the NFC, which gives breathing room — but at this point, neither one is counting on anything.

“I’m kind of nervous, but I’ve done all I can do,” Bethel said. “Hopefully everyone saw (my play) and we will see what happens.”

It’s long been the Pro Bowl adage that a player ends up making the Pro Bowl a year after he deserves to go and at the end of a career, a year beyond he should have. Bethel knows such things, but he is hoping he showed enough as a rookie last season that this would be “the year after.”

“I was thinking about that last year, because at the end of the season I was playing at a high level,” Bethel said. “If it happens it happens. (Not making it) is not going to deter me from working harder.”

Dansby is in a slightly different spot. He wants to make the game, but he has made a lot of money and is confident in his play — and he also knows that Pro Bowl slots don’t always line up with the players that are most deserving.

“It’d be a great honor,” Dansby said. “But it ain’t going to crush me because my play speaks for itself. It always has. It’s just getting recognized now. Balled in the AFC too, different scheme, first time playing Mike linebacker (last season). This is my second year playing Mike. I’m having fun. I’m still learning the game from a different angle and I’m having fun. I can’t say that enough.”

– There are only a couple of hours left in this auction of Anquan Boldin’s game-worn jersey that December Sunday back in 2003 when he set the NFL record for receptions by a rookie in a season. If you’re up for trying for the jersey — with proceeds going to Cardinals Charities — click here.

Tags: , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Dansby, Bethel wait for Pro Bowl decision”

1. By Steve on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Dansby certainly had a Pro Bowl caliber year and was a real find. Do you see GM Keim making a strong push to resign him?

2. By shannon robinson on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

OvertheCap.com has Dansby making 2.2 Million against the cap this year. I say give him another 1.3 Million a year and bring him back on a three year contract. The Dirty Bird was a real gift to Card Fans.

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Steve, Shannon —

RE: Dansby

Do I think they want Dansby back? Absolutely. Do I think he is probably looking for a lot of money right now? Probably. I’d guess three years, $3.9 million isn’t gonna cut it.

4. By clssylssy on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

This year’s ProBowl structure is so lack-luster and non traditional that it seems designed to fail. With the paid campaigning for certain players by such companies as Proctor and Gamble, it somehow cheapens the entire process and makes this less of an honor which is unfair to the players who deserve to be recognized. I don’t know of any other award where fans are given a say in the voting other than The People’s Choice Award–most legitimate honors are industry members only and that’s the way it should be! We have a lot of players who have excelled at their position or more importantly contributed to the success of the team. This Cards Team is very worthy but lacking in the politics to be acknowledged.

5. By UK cards fan on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Dansby will probably want at least 3 years 18 Mil, restructuring of other contracts will be necessary

6. By Richard S. on Dec 26, 2013 | Reply

Numerical ranking of teams on neutral field. Add 3 points to home field for predicted point spread. Been doing it all year with spreadsheet. It gets adjusted by prediction vs. actual spread/10 each week. Cards started season ranked 26th, now 8th. 1. Seattle 102.29 2. San Fran 101.13 3. NE 99.77 4. Den 98.52 5. Cincy 98.49 6. Carolina 97.44 7. NO 97.19 8. Az 95.69 9. Phil 94.45 10. Rams 93.52 11. SD 93.41 12. Pitt 93.06 13. KC 92.06 14. Indy 91.81 15. Mia 90.74 16. Det 90.27 17. Balt 89.68 18. Minn 88.92 19. GBay 88.86 20. Dallas 88.56 21. Chi 88.39 22. Atl 88.28 23. Buff 87.83 24. Tampa 87.75 25. Giants 87.58 26. Tenn 86 27. Cle 84.65 28. Jets 84.1 29. Wash 82.97 30. Hou 82.37 31. Oak 80.48 32. Jax 79.6 Biggest jump in ratings from start of season – Phil up 20 spots, KC up 19 spots, Az up 18 spots. Biggest dropoffs in ratings – Giants down 18 spots, Atl down 16 spots, G Bay and Houston both down 15 spots, System basis prediction vs. actual results, no prejudice in here. Correct prediction rate 154/239 tie didn’t count either way for a 64.44% correct prediction rate as to game winner.

7. By clssylssy on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Interesting stuff Richard. Only flaw is that there is no such thing as a “neutral field” (allowing 3 points for “home field advantage” is a bit conservative in reality) and the Vegas point spread is questionable–it’s all about the money!

8. By shannon robinson on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I wasn’t very clear – I meant 3.9 M a year for three years. You’re probably right so I counteroffer him at 5 Million a year – will that do it?

9. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Shannon —

RE: Dansby

I don’t see the Cards willing to pay a soon-to-be-33-year-old $15M over 3, although that depends on what the upfront money is.

10. By johnnybluenose on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Dansby played really well this year. No question. But he also had a lot of help around him. I am sure Keim will make him a decent offer, something like $9M over two years and then leave it up to Dansby to decide whether to stay or test the market. It’s certainly possible that another team or teams would offer a better deal but why would Dansby want to leave? For more money or to satisfy his ego (which seems rather large these days)? Not good reasons in my opinion. We still have Minter patiently waiting to play. If Dansby walks we are probably in pretty good shape. And, I sometimes wonder if Keim would have pursued Dansby at all had Washington not been suspended for the first four games. Washington and Minter could be a pretty nice combo.

11. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

johnnyblue —

RE: Dansby/Washington

I do not think the Cards would have needed Dansby with DWash, so I think you are correct there. Then again, they might have floated out an offer and seen if he would have eventually took it. It’s not like they chased him as much as Dansby realized he didn’t really have a lot of options.

12. By Chris Lewis on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Dansby’s not going anywhere.

13. By red2616 on Dec 29, 2013 | Reply

This defense is awesome and only going to get better. You give them more rest once the O-Line really gets going and the Defense will really just crush teams. The only thing i would have done different is kept Rhodes some how. Past that, I loved every move. I would keep every player we have right now and look to get another Safety/CB in the Draft. “If it aint broke”. You know what I mean. I’d focus on the O-line and TE positions. We need 2 TE and 2 more O-line. Can’t be to deep there. As far as Pro Bowl goes. The voting is a joke and unregulated. The OSCARS have better security than the Pro Bowl. AZ market players do not sell Nationally. Other than the occasional player. Look at the Cardinals home page. They are Auctioning off a Boldin Jersey. You think the 49ers would EVER auction off an opposing players jersey no matter who they were to that team? NO WAY IN HELL! The Pro Bowl is just about the $$$ and who will sell. Don’t take it personal. Wash, Tyrann, Dansby and Campbell all played up to if not passed PB level.

14. By Big Ken on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

I get a glimpse of Minter on special teams, he sure looks like he’s ready to move into the starting lineup. Lots of economics factor into football this time of the year. The situations are complex. I think Carlos will take care of Carlos you can’t blame him.