Peterson vs. Crabtree an interesting storyline

Posted by Darren Urban on December 27, 2013 – 9:46 am

Patrick Peterson didn’t see Michael Crabtree the first time the Cardinals and 49ers played. Crabtree was rehabbing a torn Achilles he hurt during the offseason. But Peterson is very aware of Crabtree, whom Peterson once called one of the the top wide receivers he had faced. Crabtree has returned to the field, playing in the last four games and slowly working his way back into the San Francisco offense — and he’ll be sitting there, waiting for Peterson Sunday.

Crabtree has 16 catches for 255 yards and a touchdown in those four games, and Peterson has been watching. “I still feel (he’s one of the best I’ve played),” Peterson said. “He has big-play ability receiver that adds a new dynamic to the San Francisco offense. He’s comfortable with (QB Colin) Kaepernick and Kaepernick is comfortable with him. Monday night he made a bunch of big catches and put up a lot of good yards.

“It seems like he is slowly getting back into game shape, slowly getting back into the groove of things. He looks to me about 85 percent now and coming back off that type of injury of course you are going to come back a little sluggish, a little slow trying to make sure you get the feel back. I’m quite sure the competitor he is, he’ll be back in the groove soon.”

The “85 percent” comment, which Peterson delivered a version of during a conference call this week with San Francisco reporters, is what has caught the attention of many. (Bruce Arians said something similar, by the way.) Crabtree had his way with Peterson last season — Peterson did cover him the vast majority of the time in two meetings — with 13 receptions for 244 yards and four touchdowns. If Peterson has had cornerback kryptonite as he has established himself as a top cover man, Crabtree has been it. How that matchup comes down Sunday will be intriguing, both on a micro-level between the two and a macro-level of how it will impact the outcome.

Peterson emphasized again he thinks Crabtree is an excellent player. Whether the 49ers try and get the ball more to Crabtree — who had five catches for 102 yards against Atlanta Monday – to “prove” to Peterson Crabtree is indeed 100 percent remains to be seen. There is no question both Peterson and Crabtree have enormous confidence in their own abilities. That’s what will make this so fun.

PPCrabUSE

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to “Peterson vs. Crabtree an interesting storyline”

1. By redzona on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

“Kryptonite” great analogy, have you seen Man of Steel lately Darren?

2. By Andrew on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

As much as I love PP and I think he is a great playmaker on the defense. I don’t reall y think he can be considered an “elite” coverage corner. Just watch any game and he gives up several passes in man-coverage. I believe he has become a little complacent. He still is one of our most valuable defensive players, but if you payed attention when we played the seahawks both times and the buccaneers it is pretty obvious that Sherman/Revis are guys on another level than peterson when it comes to man coverage.

That being said I am fired up for the game and really hope we win whether the playoffs are on the line or not, draft position doesn’t mean as much to me as this game does! Go Cardinals!

3. By Rich on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

PP makes that whole secondary look better. Don’t worry about him. He’ll do his job.

4. By Chuck 1 on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Right on, Andrew.
    PP is an above average CB, but not an elite one as he thinks he is (see the Titans game when even BA spoke of how PP didn’t have a good game).
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Crabtree hangs him out to dry this Sunday as he did in 2012.
    For the Thumb Down fans that are sure to come out of the woodwork, I hope that PP shuts Crabtree down, but he hasn’t done that yet. Show me.

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Chuck, Andrew —

RE: PP/elite

I get what you all are saying, but I disagree. I think most around the NFL agree he’s at a top level. The way the rules are now, no CB is ever going to completely shut down the other guy. And the stats bear out that almost this entire season, teams have not/have not been able to throw on him much.

6. By clssylssy on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

i would NEVER underestimate Crabtree even at 85%. He’s still quite lethal when Kaep hits him and the 9ers have looked different since his return. I wouldn’t really consider Peterson “complacent” but his production doesn’t seem as eye popping as before and I have chalked this up to being spread to thin, doing too many new things and playing offense more than focusing on being a standout corner or punt returner. Like Fitz, I think Peterson’s stats have been sacrificed “for the greater good” and because they are such great athletes they are open to expanding their skill set in less flashy roles. As a result the entire team has benefited and we are winning from these non-traditional, outside the box roles. To me that is more the mark of an elite player than the single skilled player racking up the stats. Also like Fitz, he has provided great leadership and assistance to the younger players just beginning their professional careers, not limited to Tyrann.
    I grew up not liking the 9ers who were in their hey day, but had the most obnoxious fans in the league, kinda like the Seahawks are now. I have since come to appreciate the forty-niners as an excellent football team and consider beating them more of an accomplishment and feather in our cap than beating Seattle (although there’s no denying that was AWESOME). Looking at the talent across the field on both sides of the ball they are going to be tough BUT, we are capable of being tougher and winning out. We need to START FAST, PLAY SMART, & FINISH STRONG! Let’s show the nonbelievers that this Cards team is SB ready to claim that Lombardi! … LOUD & PROUD BIRDGANG!

7. By anthony on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

PP has become very complacent especially on returns. Looking at the jumbotron in the middle of a play? Lets not forget it was his mental errors that pushed Mathieu into returns. I love PP but I do not consider him elite by any means.

8. By Darren Urban on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Anthony —

RE: “Lets not forget it was his mental errors that pushed Mathieu into returns”

Please tell me you aren’t implying Mathieu got hurt because of Peterson. Go back at look at the play/situation before such silly things are suggested.

9. By T.J. on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

Crabtree isn’t the one Az needs to be worrying about. Vernon Davis lights the Cards up worse than any other TE/WR on any other team does.

10. By Eazy E on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

2 Amazing players going head to head, it should be a doozy! I have to defend my boy Patrick to the same fans that will say Carson’s having a great year. He has consistently shut down everybody’s #1 WR for a couple seasons now but let’s focus on this year:

Week 1: Chris Givens 2 rec, 27 yds

Week 2: Calvin Johnson 6 rec, 116 yds 2 TDs(2 rec, 20 yds in 2nd Half but great game regardless)

Week 3: Marques Colston 5 rec, 71 yds

Week 4: Vincent Jackson 2 rec, 27 yds 2 INTS btw and he was the MVP of the game

Week 5: Steve Smith 4 rec, 60 yds INT

Week 6: Anquan Boldin 3 rec, 28 yds

Week 7: Golden Tate 4 rec, 77 yds(pretty darn good but no TDs #Important)

Week 8: Harry Douglas 12 rec, 121 yds(he didn’t cover him for a good amount of that game for whatever reason but only a 10.1 yd average)

Week 9: Bye

Week 10: Andre Johnson 5 rec, 37 yds 2 TDs(The 2 TDs we’re absolutely great plays only a handful of WRs in the league can make, Patrick actually got a hand and deflected both of them I believe only to go right into Dre’s hands)

Week 11: Cecil Shorts III 2 rec, 22 yds

Week 12: T.Y. Hilton 5 rec, 38 yds

Week 13: Desean Jackson 3 rec, 36 yds

Week 14: Chris Givens(Again) 1 rec, 21 yds

Week 15: Michael Preston, Kenny Britt, Kendall Wright, Nate Washington(Seems like he covered each of them at different times. It was his ”worst” game because he did give up some catches but he ain’t perfect and tennessee has some very nice WRs for sure. I knew that before the season started that they we’re good there)

Week 16: Golden Tate 2 rec, 34 yds

Week 17: Michael Crabtree ???

#The proof that the man is an ELITE CB

11. By ored on Dec 27, 2013 | Reply

while everyone needs to accounted for,it is gore and v.davis that have done the most damage to us,limit those two and i think the game becomes manageable.

12. By clssylssy on Dec 28, 2013 | Reply

I think that many fans seem to think that our players just go out and play the way they want to but the reality is that they have assignments and do their job as directed. If fans are unhappy with PP’s “production” then that is on BA. I’m sure that Peterson and Fitz would both love to be racking up to the stats but it’s hard to catch a ball that is not thrown to you and these guys are performing in a supportive role at the direction of the coach, which has allowed us too win games as well as making our team a more well-rounded and stronger. The fact that they haven’t gotten the stats has hurt them on paper but has been for “the greater good”.

13. By The Honey Badger on Dec 28, 2013 | Reply

I Agree with those stats above showing that PP is as good as it gets, Yes Sherman is a much more aggressive corner but he also has 8 times as many penalties and PP, that shows PP knows how to cover with out costing your team a first down. The Titans game was our first game with out The Honey Badger and our entire secondary sucked because of the change, remember we lost our starting free safety and our nickel corner, they only had 4 practices to get familiar with the new personal before that game. Other then that he only game up a big play to Megatron??? Who hasn’t???