Palmer’s Hall of Fame jersey, and some notes

Posted by Darren Urban on December 30, 2013 – 1:31 pm

We here at azcardinals.com are grinding away to post some day-after-season content, but here are some quick notes on a relatively news-less day-after following locker room availability and Bruce Arians’ final presser — news-less for sure compared to this time last season:

– Carson Palmer is still in the middle of his career, but his jersey from Sunday — still grass-stained and now autographed as seen below — is headed to Canton, Ohio and the Hall of Fame after Palmer surpassed 4,000 yards this season during the game Sunday. Palmer became the first player in NFL history to throw for at least 4,000 yards with three different teams. He did it previously with the Bengals and Raiders.

– Arians, who is usually good for one great quote almost every press conference, got off another doozy Monday. When he was told players see him as a father figure, Arians didn’t miss a beat. “I don’t like that,” Arians said. “I’m the cool uncle you like to have a drink with.”

– Arians said he wants his entire staff back. Defensive coordinator Todd Bowles is expected to draw interest for head coach openings.

– Nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu indeed tore his ACL, so he has a long road back after surgery.

– Arians was not surprisingly vague on specific free-agents-to-be. He’d love to have LB Karlos Dansby back. In regard to K Jay Feely, “I love Jay to death” but as a free agent, “it will be all business from here on out.”

– The free agents themselves, those who talked, said the same thing almost every free agent for every team does. I’d love to be back. It’ll depend on what they want to do upstairs.

– TE Rob Housler made good progress, Arians said, but he has to learn to block better and stay healthy. One thing is in Housler’s control. I’m not sure the other one is.

Here’s a photo gallery from Monday’s locker room cleanout.

PalmerHoFBLOG

Tags: , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Palmer’s Hall of Fame jersey, and some notes”

1. By Chris B on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Thoughts on this:
    Dansby is listed as the #1 off season priority to most, but, how important is a guy who is 32 and has had one outstanding year and 9 good ones? Do I want Dansby back? Yes, but only for the right money. Can’t pay a guy for one year that, as of now, is the exception to the rule.

Personally, I think Shaughnassey, Zastedil, Roberts, and even Cason would be better deals for the money.

2. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Chris B —

RE: FAs

I am sure all that is taken into account with Keim. The Cards aren’t going to overpay for FAs. That’s been made pretty clear.

3. By joe.holst on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

will Alameda Ta’amu be ready by sept? thanks

4. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Ta’amu

I wouldn’t count on it. But we’ll see.

5. By Eric G on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

God I hope Bowles doesn’t get a head coaching job. If he is offered one, I hope we can maybe give him a raise to at least consider staying. I’d hate to lose him.

There was a lot of progress this year and finishing at 10-6 defied everyone’s expectations of this team. It was a successful year no matter what and missing the playoffs was karma coming back to bite us after getting the benefit in 2008. Let’s hope the Cards can keep up this attitude for years to come and can make a second run at the Super Bowl, hopefully at home next year. I’ll definitely max out my credit cards to go to the game when they do.

6. By Mark on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Without the Defensive coach it is back to square one and new schemes which means free agents leaving. There is money there to do deals. re-negotiate Larry for 5 years with a big signing bonus, resign Dansby to 3 years, 2 guarrantied and a signing bonus, rework Docketts deal and make all of them incentive heavy based on performance. We can keep this team in tact and we know that the owners want to and the players want to stay. Keim is the man to make it happen. Can’t say enough great things about him or the owners and their new way of running the team. Arizona wants a winner and will back them. Look how many games have been sold out!! GO CARDS!!

7. By Andy Kw on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think this team will consider bringing back LBs Marcus Benard and Dontay Moch?

8. By Ptallon1 on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

I am sure Dansby would have had more years like this one if the offense would have been able to move the ball. The defensive unit was on the field WAY to much over the last few years. IF Bowles stays, then he is a MUST sign guy. Still need depth in this next draft…

9. By D on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

FA await their fate-

I think if they won’t some of these guys back, they probably have to do what they did this year and wait late into free agency.
    Shaughnessy and Dansby will take their time…although with the age of Dockett, I would offer a nice deal to Matt S.

The two factors working against Dansby is age and depth of roster. This team has Brinkley and a second round player in Minter that only can play inside LB along with DWash. Plus with Abraham, Mooch, Okafer and Alexander all under contract at OLB, don’t see a huge hole to fill if Los want’s bigger money than this year…

Zastedil would also be a player to bring back along with Javier Arenas and A.Roberts if the price is right..

I would let Feely go due to his age and salary and would let Winston go because he was just average and Massie should be ready to start at that spot.
    The Ta’amu injury would make me want to bring back F. Rucker for depth.
    These players need to make sure they remember that their agents works for them and they can determine how things shake out…

10. By rufus on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Outstanding job by Arians, Keim and the Cardinal players. To do what they did this season is impressive and bodes well for the future. I was particularly impressed with second half adjustments to improve pass protection and the offense as a whole. The line is still a pressing need but not as urgent as it once was. Running back, Safety & cornerback are also needs. I would also pick up a TE because Housler just simply has not reached his potential and continues to make mental mistakes and get injured. Overall though, it’s hard not be excited about the future. There is life after Warner!

11. By Scott H on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Well, that is a pretty impressive feat for Carson Palmer, so good for him. Now, if we could just get him to cut down on the INT’s…seriously, just think how many more yards he might have had if he hadn’t given the damn ball away so many times! But…enough. Carson did alright this year and it is nice to know – for the first time in a long time – who our QB is going into next year. AND to know we’re pretty solid there.

Ya know, I have really come to hate this annual head coaching bloodbath that starts right after the regular season ends. Because as soon as the axes start falling, teams start knocking on the Cardinals door to start sniffing around our coordinators. For the love of God, man, leave us alone! A few years ago, it was Haley. Before the opening kickoff of the SB, we already knew he was gone. Last year, it was Horton. And now? Todd Bowles. Just saw on NFL.com that the Vikings have interest in interviewing him. Can’t we keep a decent coordinator here for more than ONE friggin’ season???

Damn, man…then again, when 25% of the teams in the league turn over their coaching staff’s every year, how is anyone supposed to keep good coordinators?

I swear, it was painful yesterday watching the Bears, Packers, Eagles, and ( ESPECIALLY ) Cowboys all playing for playoff spots ( division titles, to be exact ) knowing that none of them are as good as the Cardinals. Well, maybe not the Eagles as much as the others, but…you get the idea. And it will probably be painful again this coming weekend, watching the Packers going into San Fran and getting blown out of the building. Same with the Saints, who are NOT a playoff caliber team when they have to go on the road. Sigh…this sucks.

Sure was good to see the Buccs putting up such a fight against the Saints yesterday, wasn’t it? Boy, they really kept it close for about the first 3 or 4 minutes….

But…enough bitterness. This season was so much fun and such a success, and it’s great to NOT have to be part of the head coach speed-dating thing like we were last year. SOOOO nice to just be able to look forward, knowing that the Cardinals are gonna be ready to roll come training camp.

12. By Adrian on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Of the tight ends Ballard and Dray do you see either of them getting resigned?

13. By wnycardfan on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

I read it on NFL.com, Bowles is in contention. I REALLY hope for OUR sake he doesn’t get a HC job. Sorry Mr. Bowles, you did awesome this year, really want you to stay. Not trying to stop your promotions etc… but how about waiting at least one more year (ha ha).
    Feely, love that guy, but his age and his few mistakes this year tell me time to bring someone else in.
    After seeing what Arians did (despite ups and downs and my own uncertainty of his choices proving me wrong) and Kiem……………….I’m going to sit back and let them do their job without me telling them waht to do. I really trust these guys right now. Keep this FA or let him go, I feel confident in what those two are doing.
    Hope they get some awards too.

14. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Eric G —

I understand the sentiment, but how many people were saying after last season that we couldn’t afford to lose Horton last year? A number of posters were basically ready to gift him the HC job just so we wouldn’t lose him.

I don’t want to see him go either, but if he does, it won’t be the end of the world.

15. By Gerald Jones on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for your great coverage of the Cardinals Darren!

What’s the future of Ryan Willaims as a RB with the Cards?

16. By RED C on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Great season ya`ll I hope we can keep the filthy bird in town aka Dansby. Looking forward for next year with everybody healthy again and upgrades in the TE AND LT positions should do wonders for this amazing team. Hopefully we have Mathieu back in time for training camp and Cooper is 100% along with Acho. Next season is our year we will be the first team to have home field advantage in the superbowl. GO CARDS !!!

17. By Credit Card on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

I’m sure you visit the training room on occasion, how is the rehabs going for Okafor, Acho, Mathieu, Cooper, and soon to be Ta aamu.

Thank you for your reporting this last season, kept us fans well informed.

18. By red bird of death! on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

Seriously Darren, help us all out here we all have been trolling NFL.com seeing Bowles this and that job, tell us it’s just Rooney rule b.s. so I can sleep!

19. By Richard S. on Dec 30, 2013 | Reply

I think in the off season the quality control coach should look at all the balls that have been run out of the endzone and what the result was. I don’t see much sense in running it out of the endzone unless it’s the end of half. There are too many things that can go wrong, like Arenas being tackled twice around the 14 yard line, the time he fumbled inside the 20 near the beginning of the season and a good possibility of being called for an illegal block that makes the Cards sit up inside their 10 yard line putting extreme pressure on Palmer to perform and not throw another pick deep inside his own territory. As a matter of fact, you could sign me as a free agent to run kickoffs back and I guarantee I won’t run any out as I tore my knee up 40 years ago playing flag football. I’m also a lot cheaper than Arenas. I’ll do it for getting to see the game live.

20. By Eazy E on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

All this really shows you is that Carson can put up some good numbers but nowhere near enough wins. See wins v. losses and playoff wins v. losses career wise.

21. By Chris on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

In regard to Taamu.

I´m curious how his rehab works. Being on a one year deal does he still get the procedure done by cardinals docs? And will he be allowed to do his rehab program in the offseason at cardinals facility with our trainers or isn´t he a member of the team anymore?

Feel so bad for him as he would be an important rotational guy at a thin DL; Hope he gets all support by the team and its facilities because he deserves it.

22. By Eazy E on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

Chris B-

You are totally wrong! Look at the brotha’s numbers and tell me he ain’t had at least multiple pro bowl/all-pro type years, he just ain’t as popular as he should be being with the cardinals. He definitely deserves big money and I don’t care that he is ”32”, he’s only 32 and playing his best ball arguably. #Defensive MVP #Of The League #He’s got a Strong Case

23. By clssylssy on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

I totally HATE this time of year. Teams need consistency to become repeat winners and achieve greatness. When you have a coaching merry-go-round, core talent lost, and constant fluidity, everybody is worn out before they get started from having to constantly do-over; this is taking one step forward and three steps back and is exhausting to everybody, including fans. Great teams like the Patriots have had the same HC, coaching staff, QB, and solid foundation and are able to weather the most horrendous off field issues and intangibles and still prevail! This sense of “no roots” has been the norm with the Cards and creates skepticism in long time fans who are now hesitant to committ to anything while waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Certainly, most coaches aspire to become a HC and I am always happy to see my former coaches and players succeed in life beyond Cardinal land. That being said, I think we have a good staff of coaches that are just getting their feet wet here in the desert building success and I would hope that Coach BA and the front office would work very hard in building a case for Todd Bowles to stick around and get more experience under his belt while building his creds (in the form of playoffs, division championships, possible SB run) before accepting a HC position. They are going to be there every year and he’ll put himself in a better bargaining position as he builds his own reputation and resume. When Todd Bowles came in he had the bones of Ray Horton’s defense to build upon and a huge number of great football minds to contribute to helping him which he didn’t have in Philly and probably won’t have again. I sure hope he sticks around and is not seduced by a HC position so early in his coaching career (relatively speaking).
    With the Cards it’s ALWAYS about money and through the years I have seen some really bad financial decisions for which everybody is paying now. I don’t envy Steve Keim however, there are certain players who have contributed much more to this team than is measurable in stats and I would hope that the organization recognizes this and doesn’t insult them by being cheap. Keim was able to pull a rabbit out of a hat this past season, if only temporarily, and now it’s time to pay up and show us if that was just a fluke. GOOD LUCK to the Front Office…Sure hope you are able to recognize what you stand to lose!

24. By John The Draft Guy on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

Ta’amu and Sowell were cut by other teams at the beginning of the season. They both became huge for the cards this year.

I think the cards will miss Ta’amu. His size and strength in the middle clearly helped in the run game. Hope he comes back sooner than later.

As for Sowell, He is a FA. I would imagine he would like to come back and compete as a starter. But at what cost? At the least, the league will view him as a valuable back up swing Tackle. I would love to know how the cards view him.

Darren, any insight as to how the coaching staff views Sowell ? Did the cards get him to play over his abilities or is he just scratching the surface of his ability?

My first thought is they want to up grade the spot, but if they feel he can improve on this year, might we need to get him resigned and maybe pass on getting a new LT?

25. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Moch/Benard

Sure. Benard definitely.

26. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

Adrian —

RE: TEs

Yes. But I could also see them looking TE in the draft.

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

Gerald —

RE: Ryan Williams

I think that is very much up in the air.

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Rehabs

They are going as planned for now.

29. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Sowell

I think the Cardinals will be looking to upgrade at LT.

30. By Chuck 1 on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy,

…”With the Cards it’s ALWAYS about money…”

Uhhhh, not since Michael has taken over.
    You do know that there is a Cap, don’t you?

31. By jaime on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

I hope PP figures out whats been going wrong, hes average now.

32. By debeezy on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

@ Eazy E

You don’t hashtag with spaces in the phrase, that’s not how it’s done. And what’s the point of using hashtags on a blog?

33. By Scott H on Dec 31, 2013 | Reply

Seriously, why are we even asking about Ryan Williams at this point??? The tandem of Mendenhall and Ellington sure looked good to me. Granted, it remains to be seen what happens with Mendenhall this off-season, but…regardless, I pose the question again – WHAT HAS RYAN WILLIAMS DONE IN THREE SEASONS HERE TO JUSTIFY ANY BELIEF THAT HE IS A PLAYER WE NEED GOING FORWARD? I just don’t get it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with some of the many one-year deals this team entered into last off-season. Many of them panned out quite nicely. Now what?

34. By Maurizio Cavagna on Jan 1, 2014 | Reply

Coaching staff is the priority.. Then two additions in O-line and have the injured players plenty in form. Next year needs 12-4 in a brutal division,really is not an easy target with also the Rams in great upgrade.Kleim-Arians, a lot of work to do.

35. By Chris on Jan 1, 2014 | Reply

U didn’t answer my Q Darren! Would love to know about rehabbing procedure by Taamu :)

36. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2014 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Ta’amu

Alameda hasn’t even had surgery yet. So it’s tough to talk about rehab.