Cardinals re-up practice squad players

Posted by Darren Urban on January 1, 2014 – 3:57 pm

The Cardinals have re-signed their practice squad players to futures contracts, according to the New Year’s Day NFL transactions list. That’s not a surprise as the Cards begin the process to building the offseason roster. A futures contract simply locks up the practice squad players — who would be free agents once the league year ends in early March — to contracts for 2014.

The players are:

– C Philip Blake (spent much of the season on practice squad injured reserve)

– WR Dan Buckner

– LB Kenny Demens

– C Tommie Draheim

– TE Darren Fells

– RB Robert Hughes

– S Orhian Johnson

– DT Anthony McCloud

– LB Kenny Rowe

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Cardinals re-up practice squad players”

1. By rod on Jan 1, 2014 | Reply

I like how Keim said during his Monday morning interview on ktar620 that he would be working on “futures” and by Wednesday be has some done already.

Honestly I have no idea how hard or difficult that is but I do know I like that he gets to it!!!

Can’t wait for free agency and especially the draft to see what guys Keim wants to give BA to work with.

Bidwill, Keim, BA, Bowles…what a great time to be a fan of the Cardinals!!!

10-6 I was one of those people on the message boards, but got kicked out…too optimistic I guess.
    :-)

2. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 1, 2014 | Reply

While I don’t follow all the details of the players on the margins as closely as some do, this season cemented again for me the fact that carrying a 3rd QB is a waste when you have a decent #1 QB who has historically been durable. Lindley is not the QB of the future, so there’s little point having him take up space on the roster that could be used for an extra player at a position where depth is needed. Of course you have all the people with their “no one will last behind that O-line” posts but Palmer took his shots, got back up, and Stanton never got in a game, much less Lindley.

Setting aside teams that didn’t have a legit starter they were comfortable with to begin with (e.g., Cleveland), how many teams ever get to a 3rd QB in a given year? Answer: very few. I realize it’s the most important position, but I really think if Palmer had ever gotten hurt and we had to hurry up and get a guy to back up Stanton, we could pick the best QB sitting at home (like the Cowboys did with Kitna in case Orton got hurt in the finale), simplify the offense, and he’d be just as effective as Lindley would ever be.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

Yesterday, my 13 year old daughter woke up and said ” Lets go to the Fiesta Bowl”. So we went. I came away surprised.

I have head a lot about Blake Bortles being a first round pick and thought it would be interesting to see him live.

What I came away with is Bortles is my top QB. He is big and fast. Can run with the ball but I wouldn’t call him a running QB. But he can make all the pro throws. Has zip on passes when needed and touch on others. Can throw the deep ball accurate.

I will make a bold prediction that when the first pick is chosen by the Houston Texans, it is Bortles instead of Bridgewater. Mark it down and remember you heard it first here.

Some have Bortles coming to AZ. There is zero chance he falls to 20.

4. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

As for the draft, every year I bang the table for my favorite player. Whether it be Tannehill or Von Miller, ect there is usually a guy that I think star.

This year, he plays at a college most have never seen. Buffalo. His name is Khalil Mack, OLB. This guy has the skill set of Von Miller. He is a sack machine who will run down RBs from the back side. If not double teamed, he will wreak your offense.

Mack is the must have for the cards this year. And although I do not seeing the cards moving up into the top 10 to get him, he would be worth it.

5. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

Noticed 2 Cs on practice squad. Is Sendlein at risk?

6. By Dave C. on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

Urban’s at risk

7. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

There is no such thing as “zero chance” ;)

8. By devo on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

I love that they are keeping Fells around!! He is the next Jimmy Graham!!

9. By Claire on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

There will still be some quality Tackles available at 20 … watching tonight’s National Championship will be interesting because we could easily snag either FSU’s (Erving) or Auburn’s (Robinson) LTs. Seeing as Keim was an OLineman, I have complete faith in his eval of these guys. I don’t think anyone is arguing that Sowell is the answer here!

As far as Khalil Mack goes, I don’t see him falling out of the top 10 – but, you never know.

It would be nice to get a quality edge rusher, but it’d be hard to pass up on one of those tackles if we don’t shore it up during FA. I don’t know that we’ll have the cash money for one of those open market studs after paying Fitz, PP, and hopefully guys like Dansby and the other horde of UFAs.

10. By brian howard on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

Johnny Football is who I want to see as our QB of the future !!!!!!

11. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

Claire,

I agree Mack won’t make it out of the top 10. But as a difference maker (ala Von Miller) I would be tempted to move up and get him.

Interesting thing about Auburn’s Robinson (been keeping my eye on him since jasonc was talking about him) One draft board will have him in the top 15 while another will have him not in the first round. Opinions are all over the board.
    He is one of those guys that will rise or fall with individual workouts.

Erving is a guy to keep your eye on as is Lewan. One, if not both could be there at 20.

Personally, here are my 4 guys I would grab in first round. Khalil Mack (trade up to get), Blake Bortles (#1 pick but if he fell, I might be tempted to trade up – I still go with Palmer as he sits and learns a year or two) , Taylor Lewan (I think he is the tackle left after Mathews, Erving and Robinson go) , and CB Justin Gilbert (you wont hear his name much in the cotton bowl since no one throws his way)