Bowles scheduled to interview for two jobs

Posted by Darren Urban on January 2, 2014 – 7:53 pm

So far, Todd Bowles is scheduled to interview for a pair of head coaching jobs: With the Browns Friday and then with the Minnesota Vikings sometime next week. Does that mean Bowles is leaving as Cardinals’ defensive coordinator? Of course not. Last year at this time, DC Ray Horton was set up for three head coaching interviews — Cleveland, Buffalo and Arizona — and as we all know, Horton was still the Cardinals’ defensive coordinator when Bruce Arians decided to let him leave so he could be the DC in Cleveland and Arians could hire Bowles.

We’ll see how this turns out. Bowles fulfills the minority requirement of the Rooney Rule. Not that he isn’t a legitimate candidate, but that’s a possibility too. The Houston job (Bill O’Brien) and Tampa job (Lovie Smith) are now filled, so the only openings left are Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota and Washington. It’s also hard to get a sense about what candidates are in play since many of the playoff teams will have assistants up for jobs when their seasons end.

(On a side note, so Horton doesn’t get the Cleveland job last year but goes to the Browns to be DC. Now that job is open again and I can’t think Horton would be thrilled if he was kept under contract when Bowles — the man who replaced him — then got the head Browns gig.)

I don’t know exactly what Bruce Arians, who has made clear his hope that Bowles someday becomes a head coach, would do if Bowles left. I’m not sure there is an automatic candidate on the staff already. But that’s a long way off. It still seems likely to me Bowles will be around for another year as defensive coordinator. Certainly, the Cards would like that to happen.

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Bowles scheduled to interview for two jobs”

1. By Richard S. on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

The way Cleveland goes through coaches, that might not be an ideal situation.

2. By Eazy E on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

I wouldn’t want that Browns job if they’re gonna give me a year(well actually 352 days) to turn them around even though I lost my qb formerly of the cardinals in hoyer who was playing well and other decent players to injury. Minnesota is interesting because you got AD, Greg, Kyle, John Carlson, Patterson etc. on offense and defensively if you can get jared allen back with robison, kevin, shareef, chad, harrison, xavier, etc. you have some talent there.

3. By Tien on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

Darren
    Is there a stat or anything that shows who the more aggressive blitz caller is between Horton and Bowles?

4. By clssylssy on Jan 2, 2014 | Reply

I can’t imagine anybody wanting the jobs with the Browns until they get their act together internally. The Vikings are going to be in a “rebuilding” phase and literally “”out in the cold” playing at the University of Minnesota until they get their new stadium built in two years which, I think, will put a big chill on season ticket sales.
    It would seem that life in the desert with the opportunity to build on this season and further fluff out the creds would not be to tough a decision! The HC jobs will be there every year and Coach Bowles be in a position to be choosy. As the old saying goes, “location, location, location”!

5. By Eazy E on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

I want him back but you can’t stop a man or woman that is trying to ascend. He is also a black man so that is even more reason with the non-hires the nfl had last year both coaches and gms.

6. By gbrim on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

Darren–
    Any word as to whether Horton will also get a HC interview in Cleveland? Sounds like the post-Chud meeting among the Cleveland brain trust and the remaining coaches under contract was pretty heated–lots of defending Chud and criticizing the one year and out move.

7. By joe.holst on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

I remember how irate Ray Horton was when he didn’t get the Cardinal job. Cleveland’s defense was terrible last year. Shrew move by Michael Bidwill to hire Steve Keim and let him hire Bruce Arians .

8. By D on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

Bowles best option is to come back and see what other teams next year could be looking to hire…like Atl or MIA or the Jets….I would want him to suffer in Cleveland and MINN will hire a Off minded coach this time.
    Tough year for Horton….if I was him, I would realize a HC is not on my horizon and go to Dallas to become thier DC. Browns are the biggesst joke in NFL right now.

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

Tien —

RE: Blitzing

I’d have to search that out.

10. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

gbrim —

RE: Browns

The report I saw said Cleveland would not be interviewing any of the candidates they interviewed last year.

11. By brian r on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

i want todd bowles to stay here in arizona and let this defense actually get comfortable with the play book. the cardinals havent had a good defensive coordinator that stuck with the franchise in how long? i think hes gonna stay..

12. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

not want to take the Browns job??? Why not?

First, you have an amazing fan base.

The Browns have a good offensive line, lead by Joe Thomas, Cam Jordon is a top TE, and we all know Gordon is one of the best WRs in football.

Defensively, you have to find out why they quit because they have a ton of talent starting with Joe haden and Mingo. But the makings are their to be a top defense.

Then the Browns have 2 first round picks. The number 4 pick. If the Texans take Bridgewater, you could probably jump the jags and get into the ram spot at two and take Blake Bortles. and then somewhere in the 20’s to grab a guy like Justin Gilbert at CB to play opposite Haden or CJ Mosely to play ILB.

If someone can get the defense to get back on track and find the QB, this team could compete with the Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens.

I would think Bowles would be wanting this job badly.

13. By Neptune on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

Darren, in your opinion would Horton still be the Def Coord in AZ if he had been less negative about missing the HC opportunity? I seem to remember some hard feelings.

Had he stayed with the talent on our D he would have had another great year establishing himself as a top tier Def Coord. I bet he would have been a more attractive HC candidate this year.

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

Neptune —

RE: Horton

No. Arians wanted to bring in Bowles. Bowles was his captain when Arians coached at Temple. That was the major factor there.

15. By Big Ken on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

It looks like they would have handed Horton this head coaching job at Cleveland and might still. But if they don’t he’ll probably flip out again.

16. By Scott H on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

So…if he takes the Browns job…the Browns will have BOTH of our last two defensive coordinators. Gotta be friggin kidding me.

But I would really be surprised if Bowles goes anywhere. THIS year, that is. The Cards D was amazing this year but it’s not like Bowles has any real track record at this point. If MY team is looking for a HC right now, I don’t know that I’m feeling like Todd Bowles is the guy we need. I LOVE the guy as our D coordinator. But I think he needs more of a resume ( even if only another season ) before he is legit HC candidate. Or, at least, that’s what I hope.

Hate to say it but I think his being an African American is probably going to get him a few interviews on its own. Frankly, I don’t care for the NFL’s policy on that whole thing. But it is what it is.

17. By Davemaham on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

So Horton has been on two teams that have fired their head coaches in consecutive years? Tough run

18. By markcaufield on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

Kudos for the coaches. They’ve done a great job with a seemingly lost franchise. But, kudos to these players. Bowles inherited a strong defensive team. I think the players deserve some kudos. They played awesome! There isn’t a coach in this league that wouldn’t love to coach these players.

19. By scott023 on Jan 3, 2014 | Reply

If coach Bowles stays another years with this talent and his defensive mind, we are super bowl bound. We came together the second half, now that they have learned to play together. We will not be stopped, history will be made and that will be a story coach Bowles tells his grandchildren. He will be a head coach no doubt in my mind. He should finish here first. History needs to be made first. That would be a shame to destroy this.

20. By Eric G on Jan 4, 2014 | Reply

Listen to Nancy Reagon Todd,

JUST SAY NO!!!!

21. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2014 | Reply

Geez, just wondering….what does Ray Horton do if he gets passed over in Cleveland for the HC job? Seems he was pretty offended he was not given the job here last year. Not that I want to see it happen but…man, what if the Browns give their HC job to ANOTHER D Coordinator from another team ( Bowles, of course )? One that has no more experience than he does at this point? That would suck for Horton. Would suck for the Cardinals, too, I might add.

Looks like Whiz will probably be back as a HC somewhere next year. And good for him. He had to go ( from Arizona ) last year, there was no was he could have stayed any longer. Things just seem to run their course with coaches in the NFL, even if they are recognized as good coaches. Look at Andy Reid and Lovie Smith. One is already back and having some success, the other is coming back and I think the Buccs got the best HC candidate available this off-season. No reason Whiz couldn’t do the same. I think he will do well in Detroit is he ends up there. At least he would already have a QB…’cause finding one of those was definitely NOT one of his strengths! The rest of that team ain’t too shabby, either. Good situation for a coach to walk into.

22. By Kevin S Mesa on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

I always laugh when I see people say “I wouldn’t take that job…” just because it’s a less-than-stellar franchise. Really? What do you know? If you work your tail off as an assistant on multiple teams, and then someone offers you a HC job… for most people that is the pinnacle, You don’t worry about whether the franchise is in disarray or the owner is volatile or anything like that… you say, hey, this may be my only shot. And you take it.