Cards mine hoops-playing TE pool again

Posted by Darren Urban on January 7, 2014 – 1:34 pm

In October, the Cardinals signed tight end Darren Fells to the practice squad. Fells was a project, cut already by Seattle, a 6-foot-7, 280-pound former college basketball player who had already spent four years playing professional hoops overseas. The Cards liked what they saw out of Fells enough to re-sign him going forward to a “futures’ contract. Now, the Cards are doubling down on the whole basketball-player-could-be-a-football-player thing.

One of the three players the Cardinals signed to “futures” deals Tuesday is tight end Andre Hardy, who averaged 8.0 points and 6.7 rebounds a game his final two years at Cal State-Fullerton but did not play football in college. Hardy, 6-6 and 245, was briefly with the Raiders in the offseason of 2012. Whether he or Fells could turn into Antonio Gates or some facsimile thereof would be nice. The offseason is the time of year you mull such things, and the team is going to work on its tight end depth. The Cardinals also signed Brett Brackett, a tight end who has spent time on the Jaguars’ and Dolphins’ practice squads.

Guard Christian Johnson, the third signee, has spent the last three seasons in the Arena Football League.

A futures contract is signed locking a player into a team even though the new league year — and contracts — don’t kick in until early March.

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to “Cards mine hoops-playing TE pool again”

1. By Chuck 1 on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

Hopefully, the Cards can find a TE like the Florida State kid that caught the pass that won the BCS Championship game. He, obviously, has to be able to block also.

2. By jason on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

Chuck 1-

Kelvin Benjamin is a WR not a TE.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

I love what the cards are doing already this offseason.

Why not take a chance on some guys? You have plenty of time to develop them. If they dont work out, it really doesn’t hurt you.

But if you can land a Gates…..

Meanwhile, most of us think we have plenty of young guards, Keim takes a look at an arena ball player. A couple things you know he is; Athletic is first and a pass blocker is second.

4. By D on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

Just got back from Pasadena, I tell you that is one of the best places to watch big time college football. (No, I did not see Dockett at the FSU tailgate).

My guess to what the Cards Oline will look like in 2014 is a mix of youth and experience.

I think Massie will be the Right Tackle
    I think Colledge will be the Right G. (probably will ask to lower cap #/restucture)
    I know Sendlein will be the Center
    I know Cooper will be the Left G
    I think either B. Albert or J. Veldheer will be signed as a Free Agent Left Tackle

This would be a solid Oline once they jell together. Could have Sowell, Watford and maybe Fanaika be backups. I wouldn’t mind seeing them draft a C/G in rounds 5 or 6 in which maybe Fanaika would not probably be back.

If this would shake out in March that would leave the draft open a best player available for needs, which would be DLine, QB and Safety. I would add TE but with the depth on the practice squad and if they resign Dray and keep Ballard they should be fine.

5. By Wildcard on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

Tight end debth
    safeties to defend the TE’s
    pass rusher as well.
    OL Tackle
    Speed WR.

Least there are only a few needs.

6. By Patrick Hoog aka Don't Take Losses on Jan 7, 2014 | Reply

Keim werking it, sweet.

7. By ored on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

at least he’s not twerking it,lol. much depends on who drops,i could see us drafting te,lt,or rush lb if one of the “name” ones drop to us,but in doing so they would also probably be bpa.still like the idea of drafting a lt just to develop,get a good blocker and maybe he could be a rg or center.would be interesting if we had a shot at one of the top te’s and some interesting players that would fit dockets role when he’s done.

8. By Scott H on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

No complaints about this approach. But what is wrong with looking at players who are already solid / productive TE’s at the NFL level? I’ll look myself. but does anyone know right now what FA’s might be available? I mean, outside of guys like Gronk or Jimmy Graham, it’s not like you have to break the bank to sign a TE these days. The Cardinals came such a long way this season, I’d prefer to see them targeting players who are more proven than experimental. What about guys like Martellus Bennett or Brent Celek? THEY may not be immediately available but I’m thinking of guys who fit that mold, solid play-makers and good red-zone targets. Greg Olsen? He’d be AWESOME.

9. By Chuck 1 on Jan 8, 2014 | Reply

Jason,

He’s big enough to play TE.

10. By jasonc on Jan 9, 2014 | Reply

Chuck1-

He is big for a WR but he is a little slight for a TE. People like to compare him to Calvin Johnson because they have similar frames, but Johnson ran in the 4.3′s during his combine I think he probably compares more to a Marcus Colston-similar frames and speed. I agree that if this kid had to he could put on some weight and learn to become a TE, but he’s played WR all his life and it is where he will most likely play at the next level. I agree with your sentiment and I do hope that these guys can develop into weapons for us!

11. By Chuck 1 on Jan 9, 2014 | Reply

jasonc,

I’m with you.
    If he’s always played WR and is a little slight for a TE, then WR it is.
    If the Cards can just find the next Gronk……………….